What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

Stayed surprisingly dry today, and got my walk in at lunch. Pace was 18:39. Getting warning shots in my left heel, but nothing that feels like damage. Nevertheless, if I get rained out this week, I will fool around on the elliptical, to get some burn without tweaking anything.

Week 0:  Goal - lose 18 pounds

Week 1:  -5.4 pounds, -5.4 pounds total

Week 2:  -0.4 pounds, -5.8 pounds total

Week 3:  -2.2 pounds, -8 pounds total

Week 4:  -1.2 pounds, -9.2 pounds total

Well, this was a weird week.

On Thursday, I shut down my walking temporarily.  I have been experiencing some significant pain in my right knee, to the extent it interfered with sleep, and I wondered if all the miles on hard surfaces were to blame.  I also shut down yoga just for one day to give a full rest.  Went back to yoga on Friday but then...

BAM!  Got hit with COVID.  Well isn't this fun.  So since my Friday yoga I've had no activity.  Zero.  On the other hand, the COVID caused me not to eat anything but a small amount of rice over the course of two days.

In summary, a lot less activity last week, but a couple of low-calorie days to supplement some high-cal ones earlier in the week (Wednesday was a disaster for food/drink and is probably also when I caught the virus), led to a moderate loss.  I'll take any progress during this odd week.  And hey, I'm halfway to my goal!
Hang in there.  As expected, you are losing weight by just thinking about it.  Get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids.  

Hang in there.  As expected, you are losing weight by just thinking about it.  Get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids.  
I just awoke from a nap for the third day in a row, so at least I’m getting in the “rest” part.  It’s amazing how this sucker has knocked me out.  I’ve done NOTHING all day and by 1 pm had to go back to bed.

Week 0:  Goal - lose 18 pounds

Week 1:  -5.4 pounds, -5.4 pounds total

Week 2:  -0.4 pounds, -5.8 pounds total

Week 3:  -2.2 pounds, -8 pounds total

Week 4:  -1.2 pounds, -9.2 pounds total

Well, this was a weird week.

On Thursday, I shut down my walking temporarily.  I have been experiencing some significant pain in my right knee, to the extent it interfered with sleep, and I wondered if all the miles on hard surfaces were to blame.  I also shut down yoga just for one day to give a full rest.  Went back to yoga on Friday but then...

BAM!  Got hit with COVID.  Well isn't this fun.  So since my Friday yoga I've had no activity.  Zero.  On the other hand, the COVID caused me not to eat anything but a small amount of rice over the course of two days.

In summary, a lot less activity last week, but a couple of low-calorie days to supplement some high-cal ones earlier in the week (Wednesday was a disaster for food/drink and is probably also when I caught the virus), led to a moderate loss.  I'll take any progress during this odd week.  And hey, I'm halfway to my goal!
Hope you make it through it quickly.

Just got off the mat.  Did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 23.

Focus was on external hip engagement.  Standard Tim flow with some extended balancing.  Felt like there was no warmup, just started right into it.  Pretty good workout.  

Oh, there's something for everyone in this one.  It was on the beach with Tim wearing just board shorts and the Turkish model  was wearing a sports bra and yoga pants.  They are both quite hot.  Of course Tim wasn't actually doing the work.  

Under calories and no booze yesterday.  

Keep it up!

@krista4 Hope you start to feel better soon.  You just had to be a contrarian and catch the 'rona after a lot of us are already vaccinated.  Just to remind us this damn pandemic isn't over yet. 
Way to rub in the fact that I became eligible for the vaccine after seemingly every other human in the country. ;)   I was due to get my second jab this Thursday, but now have to postpone.  Getting a virus 14 months into a pandemic and just before becoming fully vaccinated is indeed a bad beat.

Page 2!?!?!?!

Completed Yoga with Tim Transform Day 24 earlier this morning.

It was fine.  Tim instructed two women this time.  One was less flexible than the other, so it showed simpler and more advanced poses.  It was a decent flow.  I can't remember what his real focus was on this one, but there was the standard flows with one leg balancing, side planks, too much boat, and other fun moves.  Good workout.  The video had some audio issues, and even some poses were not held as long on different sides due to editing issues.  

It was also on the beach, so little clothing worn by all on the video.  

Keep up the good work!

Page 2!?!?!?!

It was fine.  Tim instructed two women this time.  One was less flexible than the other, so it showed simpler and more advanced poses.  It was a decent flow.  I can't remember what his real focus was on this one, but there was the standard flows with one leg balancing, side planks, too much boat, and other fun moves.  Good workout.  The video had some audio issues, and even some poses were not held as long on different sides due to editing issues.  

Keep up the good work!
Well, I haven't had anything to report due to teh COVIDz.

Yesterday I felt almost back to normal.  Wanted to do yoga, but decided not to push it.  Today I will not be dissuaded.  Haven't done anything since Friday and miss my yoga!  What has become of me?!!

Page 2!?!?!?!

Keep up the good work!
On the two women in yoga pants?

Well, I haven't had anything to report due to teh COVIDz.

Yesterday I felt almost back to normal.  Wanted to do yoga, but decided not to push it.  Today I will not be dissuaded.  Haven't done anything since Friday and miss my yoga!  What has become of me?!!
Catching up on Adriene's May calendar, I picked up today where I'd left off, with Saturday's 35-minute "Yoga for Vulnerability."  It started with five minutes in a fetal position.  WTF?  I could have done this over the weekend, since that's how I spent most of my time!  Anyway, this was a good one to start back with (though I skipped the fetal position part as being redundant), as it was slow and stretchy.  Hope to follow up with something more challenging tomorrow.

One benefit of COVID has been that my knee is feeling much better after several days of forced rest.  We'll see if easing back into yoga has any effect.  Hope to start adding back some walking soon, but I'm supposed to be isolating for several more days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catching up on Adriene's May calendar, I picked up today where I'd left off, with Saturday's 35-minute "Yoga for Vulnerability."  It started with five minutes in a fetal position.  WTF?  I could have done this over the weekend, since that's how I spent most of my time!  Anyway, this was a good one to start back with (though I skipped the fetal position part as being redundant), as it was slow and stretchy.  Hope to follow up with something more challenging tomorrow.

One benefit of COVID has been that my knee is feeling much better after several days of forced rest.  We'll see if easing back into yoga has any effect.  Hope to start adding back some walking soon, but I'm supposed to be isolating for several more days.
Also having my first glass* of wine in six days tonight.

*es

Hope to start adding back some walking soon, but I'm supposed to be isolating for several more days.
Put a big red 'C' on your forehead when walking.  That should keep people away and allow you to isolate and also exercise.  

(Glad you're starting to feel better.)

I agree that krista is probably just fine to walk around her neighborhood, but it's unlikely that 100% of her neighbors would agree.

Pace this morning was 18:31.

Just got off the mat.  Did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 25.

Have you ever wanted to do vinyasa flows and lots of plank work with a block between your thighs?  If so this one is for you!  It was definitely interesting adding the block, but I'm not sure I got as much from it as Tim seems to think I should have.  To me the best part was the Turkish model was doing the poses wearing a cute yoga outfit and the camera was much tighter than normal on her.  I digress...  good flow overall.  No side planks, but that was the only torture poses left out.  Even did wheel with a block between my thighs.  

Under my calories and no booze yesterday.  

Keep up the good work!

Got on the mountain bike for the first time all week.  I do most of my rides in the evening as I'm not a morning person, but I've been spending my evenings working with my son to get him back up to speed with baseball so he can have some success before the season ends.  Also keep getting roped into umping games.  Felt good to get back out there even though it was just a small ride.  11 miles, 680ft of climbing and 700 calories burned.  Taking 3 days off to recover helped my Strava times as I PR'd my favorite climb by 15 seconds.

Got on the mountain bike for the first time all week.  I do most of my rides in the evening as I'm not a morning person, but I've been spending my evenings working with my son to get him back up to speed with baseball so he can have some success before the season ends.  Also keep getting roped into umping games.  Felt good to get back out there even though it was just a small ride.  11 miles, 680ft of climbing and 700 calories burned.  Taking 3 days off to recover helped my Strava times as I PR'd my favorite climb by 15 seconds.
Awesome work.

Hovering right at 225 still.  The off weekends have face punched me repeatedly, but I haven't lost ground, and so I'm taking that as a huge positive.  Usually Mrs. O and I do Friday lunch out at one of our favorite restaurants, with some ill advised food choices and drinks, and that can begin a chain reaction into Saturday.  Today, maybe for the best, we're both busy and so there will be no lunch out.  Could this be the A+ weekend I've been needing?  Damnit I hope so.

Hit the gym this morning, sticking with Noom, tracking stuff, getting walks with the dog whenever I can.  Trying. 

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again. 

This week:  249 lbs       Last week:  251 lbs

Change:  -2 lbs               Loss to date:  32 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
Two bike rides each day this week. Next time I decide to ride while watching one of my recorded Red Wings championship playoff games, I should probably check to make sure it wasn't a triple overtime. About killed myself yesterday trying to ride through to the end of the game. Rest day today though.

Will start to work some walks back in now. Blister on my heel needed more time but I think is probably good now.

Yesterday was 2 months at this. I was motivated originally because my A1C was back up to 5.9.  Prediabetic is 5.7 to 6.4.  Test yesterday dropped to 5.7. It measures 3 months of blood sugar levels. Since I only have 2 months of diet and weight loss reflected in it, I feel really good where it came out. I think last time I lost weight it dropped from 5.9 to 5.2 by the end.

Also, if you're looking for a sensible treat, stay away from Breyers low carb ice cream bars. It only resembles an ice cream bar just enough to make you wish you actually had one. :(

When you hear people talking about moving to Austin, they visited on mornings like this one. Pace was 18:39.

Of course the forecast is for 3+ inches of rain in the next 7 days, we'll see how many workouts have to move to the treadmill/elliptical.

Completed Yoga with Tim Transform Day 26 earlier this morning.

This was a pretty good session.  Focused on hip opening.  His cues while doing warrior and triangle poses actually seemed to help me fully engage some different muscles.  Lots of warrior and one leg balancing work, no planks, but a tough boat set at the end.  

Right at my calories yesterday and no booze.  

I'm contemplating a booze-free weekend.  Doubtful, but considering it.  I've just been in the 'Otis' trap way too long.  Eat and work out well all week, then gorge on booze and a few bad food choices on the weekend.  I've been maintaining for several months, but I would like to eventually drop another ~10lbs, and clean weekends are the only path I see to that.  I know I have to want it tho.  Therein lies the rub.  I'm currently at a weight lower than I've been most of my adult life, but would love to see 18* on the scale at some point.  

Keep up the good work!

Two bike rides each day this week. Next time I decide to ride while watching one of my recorded Red Wings championship playoff games, I should probably check to make sure it wasn't a triple overtime. About killed myself yesterday trying to ride through to the end of the game. Rest day today though.

Will start to work some walks back in now. Blister on my heel needed more time but I think is probably good now.

Yesterday was 2 months at this. I was motivated originally because my A1C was back up to 5.9.  Prediabetic is 5.7 to 6.4.  Test yesterday dropped to 5.7. It measures 3 months of blood sugar levels. Since I only have 2 months of diet and weight loss reflected in it, I feel really good where it came out. I think last time I lost weight it dropped from 5.9 to 5.2 by the end.

Also, if you're looking for a sensible treat, stay away from Breyers low carb ice cream bars. It only resembles an ice cream bar just enough to make you wish you actually had one. :(
Also awesome work here.  Especially for a Red Wings fan.

This was a pretty good session.  Focused on hip opening.  His cues while doing warrior and triangle poses actually seemed to help me fully engage some different muscles.  Lots of warrior and one leg balancing work, no planks, but a tough boat set at the end.  

I'm contemplating a booze-free weekend.  Doubtful, but considering it.  I've just been in the 'Otis' trap way too long.  Eat and work out well all week, then gorge on booze and a few bad food choices on the weekend.  I've been maintaining for several months, but I would like to eventually drop another ~10lbs, and clean weekends are the only path I see to that.  I know I have to want it tho.  Therein lies the rub.  I'm currently at a weight lower than I've been most of my adult life, but would love to see 18* on the scale at some point.  

Keep up the good work!
I hit a new second digit on the scale this week, which is always satisfying.

What are your plans when you're done with Tim?

What are your plans when you're done with Tim?
I don't know right now.  

I'm liking the muscle I've added this year between yoga and pushups (and some strength work w/ Tim).  

I'm debating on some type of light yoga combined with circuit training.  I don't want to lose my yoga practice mobility gains, but I don't think just yoga is going to cut it for me on a daily basis.  Maybe circuits MWF with yoga TThSat.  If I can keep the yoga sessions lighter and more mobility based that can work.  I downloaded the 'Down Dog' app recently, so I may play around with that and see if I can find some sessions that are more restorative to combine with circuit work for adding lean muscle.  I also feel like I need some cardio work, yoga gets my heart rate up but I'm not sure it's enough most days.  Circuits should get the heart rate up enough.  

I still walk my dog daily and get 6-10k steps/day, but I consider that more of a habit than actual exercise.  

Keep up the good work!
“Mama, one day I’d like to have a trap named after me.”

Pace was 18:41 this morning. Traffic starts getting aggressive in the late mornings.

The scale says I lost 2.1 pounds. Need to go get those migas and groceries before it gets soupy around here.

hour walk with my dog this morning got in a bunch of steps.  Then did tough 30 min peleton class with Olivia D'Amato.  Man I can do other workouts but my abs feel tighter after a peleton ride than any other cardio workout

Pace was 18:41 this morning. Traffic starts getting aggressive in the late mornings.

The scale says I lost 2.1 pounds. Need to go get those migas and groceries before it gets soupy around here.
I love the reason for the edit.  :lmao:

I had what seemed like a COVID regression today.  Or perhaps I was hungover.  Who's to say?  In any case, I could only eke out a 20-minute yoga session, but I'm proud of myself for doing anything at all.

Tomorrow I hope to make up for it with an hour-and-a-half, from three sessions I'm eyeing to do.  Still trying to catch up on her May calendar after missing four days in a row from real COVID.  Yesterday one of the ones I did was "Yoga for Nurses," and I appreciated how often she told me that she loved how much I do to help people.

I've lost track, I remember at least one of your earlier weigh ins but no idea where you're at now or how much you've lost total but when i started to do the math I realized how long you've been making steady progress for.  It's really been incredible to watch.  You've had a couple bad weeks or Vegas weeks but you haven't stopped outright for as long as i can remember.  I don't think anyone here has been at it as long as you, and you've steadily improved your walking pace from 20s and 19s to consistent 18s.  A year ago you were slowing down when you hit the high 18s because you were worried you'd hurt yourself.  You're just killing it day in day out for over a year anyways.  I am so fn proud of you dude.  

What made me think of it was that I have never heard of migas except that you eat them all the time, and I've had to look them up three times because I've gotten old enough that I can remember that I looked them up but forget exactly what they are.  And I was thinking about getting you a t shirt with a picture of Samuel l Jackson as Jules Winnfield that said dead miga storage facility but then I was like I don't know if you could actually ever wear that but then I was like that would still be fun but I don't have your address and don't know if I could get a t shirt place to even make that instead of reporting me to the police because it's probably a woke kid working there who's never seen pulp fiction and doesn't realize that my loathing of racism is paralleled only by my love of dad jokes and inappropriate humor and then I was like but wait what size would I get and I think I can guess but then I was like wait he has lost a ####load of weight maybe I can't. 

Another weekend regression.   Grr. 

I’m feeling motivated for a turbocharged month to break this plateau. I’m thinking maybe for a month I exercise daily and eat only keto, or some other gimmick. Maybe like eating the same thing every day. Just a really strict diet that focuses on some sort of healthy eating that is locked in and without choices, for just a month. If I do that, it should finally launch me pretty well below 220, probably to around my wedding weight of 215.  Then I can pause and reevaluate, reimplement healthy balanced eating, revisit the workout routine, etc.  I’ve also got a big court hearing a month from now, the first time in a courthouse since this whole mess began, would be nice to look and feel my best as I stroll in that day, so this gives me a natural goal date. 

Going to stew on this some more today. Maybe I don’t need a crazy restrictive diet like keto, but just need to be vigilant about calorie count. Maybe I don’t even need to change my workout routine much. But I’d like to take this moment to recommit for a month, to something a bit more extreme and regimented, and see where that leaves me in 4 weeks. 

BF is very kind. At the 2013 Super Bowl cornhole I was going around tree-fitty, so some folks have an image of me that is 80 pounds off.

Of course, it's not a straight line, nor a particularly steep one. I spent considerable time in the 320s. The Ideal Protein program got me from 332 to 311, but cost a fortune. There have been a lot of fits and starts, but the biggest progress has come since I became more accountable in here. I lost 28 pounds in 2020.

This year is only eight pounds so far; plateaus are real. But this is my lifestyle now. I'm not on a diet, I just eat very few carbs except for a 24-hour window over the weekend. I find a way to exercise almost an hour, almost every day. And although I know I will falter from time to time, I will keep at it until I get to where Otis is now. There's nothing to re-evaluate until then.

BF is very kind. At the 2013 Super Bowl cornhole I was going around tree-fitty, so some folks have an image of me that is 80 pounds off.

Of course, it's not a straight line, nor a particularly steep one. I spent considerable time in the 320s. The Ideal Protein program got me from 332 to 311, but cost a fortune. There have been a lot of fits and starts, but the biggest progress has come since I became more accountable in here. I lost 28 pounds in 2020.

This year is only eight pounds so far; plateaus are real. But this is my lifestyle now. I'm not on a diet, I just eat very few carbs except for a 24-hour window over the weekend. I find a way to exercise almost an hour, almost every day. And although I know I will falter from time to time, I will keep at it until I get to where Otis is now. There's nothing to re-evaluate until then.
Yeah that's around where I was thinking you were and that is awesome. You really are doing it right, not giving up everything you enjoy but also just consistently trending in the right direction at a time when so many people did the opposite.  I love reading your walking pace posts every day, there's been a few that made me lol but it's the consistency that I have to tip my cap to. I lost a bunch of weight but blew back like 20 over the holidays before getting back to the grind, then added another  handful back and am back at it again. I know you're talking about plateaus but I am super impressed that you just keep going like you have been.  Seriously, good work.

Otis said:
Going to stew on this some more today. Maybe I don’t need a crazy restrictive diet like keto, but just need to be vigilant about calorie count. Maybe I don’t even need to change my workout routine much. But I’d like to take this moment to recommit for a month, to something a bit more extreme and regimented, and see where that leaves me in 4 weeks. 
I have a number of specific diet meals I eat, which work calorie-wise, I enjoy them, they sate my hunger, and I always keep stuff on hand for them. They aren't all 'healthy', they are just lower calorie. Though I'm eating healthier than I was before, overall.

One thing I did to maintain after weight loss last time, was to swap out one meal a day for a diet one but then otherwise eat normally. That and keeping up some exercise went a long way.  Until I stopped doing them.

But yeah, knowing roughly how many calories you have eaten is a huge benefit in leading to good decisions.

Otis said:

I’m feeling motivated for a turbocharged month to break this plateau. I’m thinking maybe for a month I exercise daily and eat only keto, or some other gimmick. Maybe like eating the same thing every day. Just a really strict diet that focuses on some sort of healthy eating that is locked in and without choices, for just a month. If I do that, it should finally launch me pretty well below 220, probably to around my wedding weight of 215.  Then I can pause and reevaluate, reimplement healthy balanced eating, revisit the workout routine, etc.  I’ve also got a big court hearing a month from now, the first time in a courthouse since this whole mess began, would be nice to look and feel my best as I stroll in that day, so this gives me a natural goal date. 

I thought you were doing Noom?  Or maybe I've mixed it up with something else.  I know Northern Voice was doing it, too.

I'd love to see what you could do if you committed for a month.  It doesn't even mean you can't have a bad day here and there.  Just not a bad string of days.

Yoga people might enjoy Adriene's 50-minute Deepen and Flow, as it's more challenging than most of hers.  After a whole lot of three-legged-dog/knee-to-wherever, Warriors, and lunges, she then goes into a sequence where you lift your knee for a bit, then cross your ankle over your other knee, then lift the knee, then Warrior Threes, then lift knee, then eventually, blessedly, put your leg down.  I felt proud I'd accomplished that one, with poor form but without falling over, and then she said, "We're only going to do three of these on each side."  :cry:  

Otis said:

do everything you're doing now.  just don't drink until the trial is over.  crazy, whack AF diet right there.

when i drank a lot more than i do now, i would give up booze for lent. 15# loss.  easy.   zero other changes.  i did not really work out back then either.

I thought you were doing Noom?  Or maybe I've mixed it up with something else.  I know Northern Voice was doing it, too.

I'd love to see what you could do if you committed for a month.  It doesn't even mean you can't have a bad day here and there.  Just not a bad string of days.
If someone could invent the one day weekend I’d look like an Olympian. 

do everything you're doing now.  just don't drink until the trial is over.  crazy, whack AF diet right there.

when i drank a lot more than i do now, i would give up booze for lent. 15# loss.  easy.   zero other changes.  i did not really work out back then either.
Good idea actually. 

And yeah K4, I’m doing Noom. Until the weekend looms. Then Noom goes boom.  The booze woos and dooms.  

But yeah. I gotta do better. I look a lot leaner than I have in a while. But could do so much better. Anyway it’s Sunday. BRB need more wine. 

I had a pretty interesting ride on the mountain bike yesterday afternoon. 9 miles, 1,500 feet of climbing, 1,250 active calories burned.

My neighbor and I were riding single track about 4 miles into the ride and came across a trailrunner that said he just (within a minute prior) came face to face (within 10 feet) or a mountain lion around the turn we were making our way towards. He said it got spooked and ran away, to his relief, but cautioned us. Maybe it was the sound of our bikes that scared it because I didn’t think they were skittish. We rode on, half excited at the prospect of seeing our first mountain lion, but also half terrified of coming face to face with it. Never did see it, but it gave us about 15 minutes of not scanning for rattlesnakes. 

Users who are viewing this thread