What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

I'm in my 30's, what other advice should someone in their 30's avoid giving?
Pretty much everything.

You kind of remind me of that guy who told Timchochachets (who was pushing 290 pounds and in his late 40's) to not only use the treadmill every day but to "attack" it.  Simply using it wasn't enough.  The only thing Tim is attacking is a corned beef sandwich.

Bottom line, it gets tougher to lose weight and keep it off when you're older.  You're "I just don't know why you can't be like me" shtick reeks of a young guy who hasn't had to deal with that yet. You'll find out soon enough.

I'd love a corned beef sandwich right now.  I had my typical lunch of a can of sardines followed by a can of black beans a few hours later and I'm a little hungry right now.   

How old are you? if you're in your 20's or 30's you don't get to give out weight loss advice.  Keeping weight off in your 20's and 30's is a breeze.  If you're in your 50's, have a flat stomach and are at your perfect weight then your advice may be meaningful.
I agree with the general idea of this post but it isn't all about age either.  

Guys> Can I drink Diet Snapples on this thing?  They have 5 calories, 0 carbs.  No idea if that's acceptable.  I'm guessing maybe not, so I'm drinking a seltzer instead.

Kthx

Guys> Can I drink Diet Snapples on this thing?  They have 5 calories, 0 carbs.  No idea if that's acceptable.  I'm guessing maybe not, so I'm drinking a seltzer instead.

Kthx
Don't know if it's acceptable or not but Diet Snapples rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe instead of potatoes, they should just avoid food completely.

This is actually a pretty good temporary strategy, except that it's a lot less convenient than eating potatoes because medical supervision is recommended and energy levels tend to be sapped, making it hard to work. But a water-only fast for a few weeks may be even more effective than a potato-only diet for resetting people's relationships with food. There's a good argument for exactly this in The Pleasure Trap by Lisle and Goldhamer, a book I liked quite a bit. (This TED talk by Lisle is a short introduction to some of the same topics that are in the book.)

Eating only potatoes provides many of the same benefits and is a lot easier.

The SpudFit guy on YouTube explained why he started the potato-only diet. He was well over 300 pounds and had a problem with food addiction. How do people overcome addictions? You don't tell a heroin addict to try to just use heroin in moderation. You generally tell him to go cold turkey. But how do you go cold turkey with food? Suppose a water-only fast is impractical. The next best thing may be to just eat a single really bland food. Enter potatoes. Get past the first few days, and many people find that their cravings for junk food are gone. People no longer eat just because they're addicted to food -- when the only thing to eat is a plain potato, you're pretty much just going to eat when you're hungry. If that can become a habit, it will carry over after you're done eating potatoes and possibly make healthier eating more sustainable in the long run.

You can knock it in theory all you want, but theory is always trumped by practical results. Google around. Impressive success stories abound. It's not for everyone, but an awful lot of people have reduced their weight on the plan more easily than anything else they'd tried. Buckle up for the ride; we're about to see if we can add Otis's experience to the list...

I agree with the general idea of this post but it isn't all about age either.  
At 30 I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted to and with minimal changes and moderate exercise could lose weight and/or maintain with ease. A younger guy lecturing an older crowd, just telling them to do like him is annoying. Like a 20 year old telling a 60 year old how easy it is to get a boner. All you need to do is think about boobs grampa!

I think this will work better for me as a Monday through Wednesday type thing.

Thursday/Saturday/Sunday I play basketball... if yesterday was what I can expect after harder workouts, ima die out there.  I skipped Bball today out of fear of getting the shakes again. Eating nothing but potatoes has not been hard at all, but it is getting monotonous.  So I knock out two birds with one stone.. I get some variety to break the potato rut, and more calories on days where I know I'll be burning couple thousand on the court.  Also - maybe a salad will help me poop.

Monday through Wednesday netted me 5 pounds.  I have already broken mentally and know that come 5pm this evening I will break the potato streak. I will get on the scale one more time before I eat my first non potato food since Sunday. :thumbup:

I think this will work better for me as a Monday through Wednesday type thing.

Thursday/Saturday/Sunday I play basketball... if yesterday was what I can expect after harder workouts, ima die out there.  I skipped Bball today out of fear of getting the shakes again. Eating nothing but potatoes has not been hard at all, but it is getting monotonous.  So I knock out two birds with one stone.. I get some variety to break the potato rut, and more calories on days where I know I'll be burning couple thousand on the court.  Also - maybe a salad will help me poop.

Monday through Wednesday netted me 5 pounds.  I have already broken mentally and know that come 5pm this evening I will break the potato streak. I will get on the scale one more time before I eat my first non potato food since Sunday. :thumbup:
Funny you stay this.  I've thought about the long game here a bit.  If I can use this aggressively to get my weight down to my preferred range, I could totally see doing a modified version of this in the long haul to keep weight in check.  One option is to go with what the author of the Potato Hack prefers, which is spuds all day, and then whatever you want at night (a real meal, a beer, etc.).  That's not bad, but I actually don't mind eating spuds in the evening on weeknights, and I prefer to "let loose" on the weekends.  So I could totally see going 3-5 days of all spud during the week and then just eating and drinking mostly healthy (and even some not healthy) stuff on the weekends.  I suspect based on my whopping one week of experience that even doing that, one could continue to drop weight (albeit at a slower pace), while not making any significant sacrifices. 

Modified fasts have been bariatric medicine's answer for morbid obesity for 40 years.  There's no particular reason that a potato is worse for that than a protein shake (I assume SpudFit dude has looked at muscle maintenance).

There is no doubt that binary choices are the best way to break an addictive habit.  The problem, of course, is adapting when you have to stop making the binary choice.  That's where I continually struggle and backslide. 

Modified fasts have been bariatric medicine's answer for morbid obesity for 40 years.  There's no particular reason that a potato is worse for that than a protein shake (I assume SpudFit dude has looked at muscle maintenance).

There is no doubt that binary choices are the best way to break an addictive habit.  The problem, of course, is adapting when you have to stop making the binary choice.  That's where I continually struggle and backslide. 
This is why weight loss surgery is the last line of defense

Pretty much everything.

You kind of remind me of that guy who told Timchochachets (who was pushing 290 pounds and in his late 40's) to not only use the treadmill every day but to "attack" it.  Simply using it wasn't enough.  The only thing Tim is attacking is a corned beef sandwich.

Bottom line, it gets tougher to lose weight and keep it off when you're older.  You're "I just don't know why you can't be like me" shtick reeks of a young guy who hasn't had to deal with that yet. You'll find out soon enough.
This is so foolishly incorrect... Look at me, I'm in my 50's, I know everything. 

I'd say the typical 35 year old could lecture you on technology until you're blue in the face and maybe you would understand 10-15% of it. I could lecture you on digital marketing/internet technologies for weeks on end, but you prob know it all, since you're 50 and all. 

Exercise? Diet? Why would you take my advice, everyone who is in their 30's looks like me, what do I know  :shrug:  This is actually the product of calzones, brisket, and riding my mobility scooter around Walmart. In about 3-4 weeks, I'll show you the progress I've made, gonna make that version of me look like a slob. Oh yea, I've had 3 spine surgeries in the last decade, what's your excuse, you're 50? But weighing 210 and getting your body fat % under 10% is easy stuff for any mid 30's dude, ask your local neighborhood NFL Free Safety about it.

The way you remember it, you were prob a bodybuilder in your 30's. Matsuki could beat up Floyd Mayweather in his 30's. Thorn prob passed on an NFL contract to be a potato farmer. 

FTR, my metabolism slowed down dramatically in my late 20's and I had to make some serious adjustments. When that happens again, I'll do the same. 

Oh yea, anyone who can't modify their diet or is fat must have an eating disorder type problem, similar to that of a drug abuser, alcoholic, or gambler. Interesting take, I like the excuse making... Yet every older dude on here calls millennials whiny babies, amazing. 

Is Otis gonna have to wax his chest after this?

Question, if you wax your chest do you also have to wax your arms?  Then where does it stop, ballsack obviously, but legs?  

This is so foolishly incorrect... Look at me, I'm in my 50's, I know everything. 

I'd say the typical 35 year old could lecture you on technology until you're blue in the face and maybe you would understand 10-15% of it. I could lecture you on digital marketing/internet technologies for weeks on end, but you prob know it all, since you're 50 and all. 

Exercise? Diet? Why would you take my advice, everyone who is in their 30's looks like me, what do I know  :shrug:  This is actually the product of calzones, brisket, and riding my mobility scooter around Walmart. In about 3-4 weeks, I'll show you the progress I've made, gonna make that version of me look like a slob. Oh yea, I've had 3 spine surgeries in the last decade, what's your excuse, you're 50? But weighing 210 and getting your body fat % under 10% is easy stuff for any mid 30's dude, ask your local neighborhood NFL Free Safety about it.

The way you remember it, you were prob a bodybuilder in your 30's. Matsuki could beat up Floyd Mayweather in his 30's. Thorn prob passed on an NFL contract to be a potato farmer. 

FTR, my metabolism slowed down dramatically in my late 20's and I had to make some serious adjustments. When that happens again, I'll do the same. 

Oh yea, anyone who can't modify their diet or is fat must have an eating disorder type problem, similar to that of a drug abuser, alcoholic, or gambler. Interesting take, I like the excuse making... Yet every older dude on here calls millennials whiny babies, amazing. 
Bro, i've forgotten more about technology and digital marketing this morning than you'll ever know. How about this physique?  I'm 55, had 3 spinal surgeries this month. These guys want to eat some spuds and give us some enjoyment?  I say sit back and enjoy the show. No need to lecture them. We get it, man.  You work out, you make good money, you live in NYC.  Congrats. We're all impressed.

This is the best post I have seen since. "Full disclosure: No sleeve. Yet. Just a single arm band with my MC's name in it on one arm,....." Well done sir, well done.

[icon] said:
Okay so potatoes + a little salt/pepper/vinegar but no ketchup or any other sauces/dressings? Not just "no fats".... it's pretty much no anything but potato/salt/pepper? Or can we use italian seasonings, garlic powder, etc?

Again... just curious as there has been a lot of discussion in here of "well, you CAN do that without affecting anything" type stuff. 

Thanks 

If I ever do this I will add home made chili sauce (no fat or sugar) and curry to the condiments as well as any leaf type condiment (e.g. rosemary, basil etc).

Whether that then negates everything remains to be seen.

Bro, i've forgotten more about technology and digital marketing this morning than you'll ever know. How about this physique?  I'm 55, had 3 spinal surgeries this month. These guys want to eat some spuds and give us some enjoyment?  I say sit back and enjoy the show. No need to lecture them. We get it, man.  You work out, you make good money, you live in NYC.  Congrats. We're all impressed.
Why did you use a picture of @Jaysus ?

I definitely considered jumping off the wagon tonight but went with mashed potatoes with some homemade (not by me) salsa. Was delicious and gave just enough flavour to likely get me through to tomorrow's potato meals.

Took my family to Lupe Tortilla.

Split 1lb Chicken Fajitas with the wife.  Chicken, guac, onions, bell peppers, salsa. Water.

Usually I could/would gorge on this stuff.  My wife ate more than I did.

I'll eat more potatoes over the weekend, but this will let me do the things I like to do without passing out at the end of my weeks.

Took my family to Lupe Tortilla.

Split 1lb Chicken Fajitas with the wife.  Chicken, guac, onions, bell peppers, salsa. Water.

Usually I could/would gorge on this stuff.  My wife ate more than I did.
I'm likely going fajitas tomorrow night for my potato breaking meal :hifive:  

You missed the point of my post. Age isn't a factor when it comes to advice, especially good advice - sometimes the best advice is the simplest and most boring. Minor tweaks to diet, add in exercise... Simple/easy advice that almost anyone can follow (regardless of age) with some willpower.

We have an intern that started working with our team Monday for the next few months. 20 years old, sharp kid, I like him - Explained some cool social media stuff I didn't fully understand yesterday. Glad I listened to what he had to say.

It is foolish to dismiss good advice based on age, that's all. Regardless if it is an intern fetching you coffee or a wise old man.

You missed the point of my post. Age isn't a factor when it comes to advice, especially good advice - sometimes the best advice is the simplest and most boring. Minor tweaks to diet, add in exercise... Simple/easy advice that almost anyone can follow (regardless of age) with some willpower.

We have an intern that started working with our team Monday for the next few months. 20 years old, sharp kid, I like him - Explained some cool social media stuff I didn't fully understand yesterday. Glad I listened to what he had to say.

It is foolish to dismiss good advice based on age, that's all. Regardless if it is an intern fetching you coffee or a wise old man.
A guy posting topless selfies on internet message boards telling us to heed his advice.

A guy posting topless selfies on internet message boards telling us to eat better and work out more.
Yea, you look like me at peak condition :lmao:

That big workout of 70 pushups and 10 pullups must be doing wonders - I guess getting older is more beneficial for your physique... Maybe it's the dog walking is getting it done. I'd bet your body fat % is somewhere in the 25-35% range. 

I'm 6'2, 210, and within a month my BF% will be under 10%... We look similar about as much as you could beat up Manny or Floyd.

Yea, you look like me at peak condition :lmao:

That big workout of 70 pushups and 10 pullups must be doing wonders - I guess getting older is more beneficial for your physique... Maybe it's the dog walking is getting it done. I'd bet your body fat % is somewhere in the 25-35% range. 

I'm 6'2, 210, and within a month my BF% will be under 10%... We look similar about as much as you could beat up Manny or Floyd.
You posted your before and afters.  They aren't far off at all from my annual yoyo routine at 39.

You are seeing more in that selfie mirror shot than others.

As mentioned a few times prior.. you are getting really invested in these threads.

I guess that I'd say this.

i used to be 31-32 years old and weigh 165 lbs. 32 inch waist. Two different competitive softball teams and pickup hoops every week. Workouts at the company gym 3-4 lunches a week. 

I'm 48 now. When you hit this age bracket, I hope you do adjust.  I'm gonna prep you that there are things that make it harder than you think. 

Having a baby. Having a baby with health issues. Having twins. Advancing in your job. Traveling more. 80 hour weeks. Trouble at home.  A divorce or bad marriage. An elderly parent with Alzheimer's or COPD. Get a call from your Mom in the hospital when she can't breathe and is scared of dying and let's see you tell her you have a cross fit class you're late for. Or leaving work and going to a probate lawyer to try and get her estate in order. Or going home and trying to cancel their credit cards or cable without copies of the death cert. Or maybe just loving your home life and wanting to spend time home with your kids or at their talent show instead of the gym. 

Sht does happen.  Maybe you've dealt with some of it. I don't know. Good luck if you haven't. It's harder than you might think. 

Users who are viewing this thread