What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

You think you've tried to gain weight eating this way.  I've been eating my ### off for 3 years with very little to show for it.  I think I've finally got some real progress going again, a lot of it is due to background research I found while discussing things here.
Can you give an example of what you'd eat in a day that you consider a lot where you're still not gaining weight?   I just can't wrap my head around being able to plow down a metric ton of crap and not putting on any weight.  

184.3# 17.7%bf 86.9 smm
180.7# 15.9%bf!! 87.5 smm

super stoked!!  i can't remember the last time i saw 170's.  i don't really care about the weight number, more important to me is the body fat %.  i know they go hand and hand but my goal is sub 15% and that now seems very possible. :pickle:    this journey has been all about getting healthier for me, my hot ### wife and my kid.  i am well on my way to accomplishing that!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still don't get how you gain weight eating at steakhouses.  It's the easiest place in the dining world to hit the right macros for a cut.  What the #### do you order.  Exactly.
had a giant burger for lunch and filet for dinner yesterday.  potatoes only are for suckers.  although, i did have one with the filet and put a ton of butter and sour cream on it.  no booze though.  and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, i wanted some wine.

Give me some of your go to meals when on the run at work or eating at home. 
I've pretty much eaten all the eggs, bacon, cheese, butter, meat (fatty meats like ribeyes), avocados, sour cream, and guac that I've been able to. And veggies that grow above ground. And that's about it.

And I've eaten NO carbs on purpose. It's crazy how the weight is falling off and I'm loving what I'm eating.

Can you give an example of what you'd eat in a day that you consider a lot where you're still not gaining weight?   I just can't wrap my head around being able to plow down a metric ton of crap and not putting on any weight.  
Pretty sure he's not eating crap - he's just eating 3k+ calories 

I've pretty much eaten all the eggs, bacon, cheese, butter, meat (fatty meats like ribeyes), avocados, sour cream, and guac that I've been able to. And veggies that grow above ground. And that's about it.

And I've eaten NO carbs on purpose. It's crazy how the weight is falling off and I'm loving what I'm eating.
And like we talked about last night - I bet your blood work numbers will look great.

Sounds awesome. I just told my wife, she made sure to notify me the inventor of this diet died from a heart attack.  :lmao:

To be clear - if you are worried about eating eggs or bacon or steak/red meat then don't.  Eat fish, egg whites, turkey bacon.  The plan is more about what you don't eat than what you eat.  As had been mentioned several times - only shop on the outside of the grocery store.  Leave all the processed/sugary/high carb stuff alone.

Yeah the Atkins "diet". Been proven to be a big failure. 

Yeah the Atkins "diet". Been proven to be a big failure. 
I'm not following any diet rules but my fear is definitely repeating what I've done in the past - lose a bunch and then regain.  The problem is despite all the good information in this thread I don't think anyone has shown what to do.  I do think part of my maintenance will be IF - what I've read makes sense and I don't see how it could be harmful.  I will also add more carbs back but only in the form or fruit/veggies/beans.

What are your maintenance plans?

I'm not following any diet rules but my fear is definitely repeating what I've done in the past - lose a bunch and then regain.  The problem is despite all the good information in this thread I don't think anyone has shown what to do.  I do think part of my maintenance will be IF - what I've read makes sense and I don't see how it could be harmful.  I will also add more carbs back but only in the form or fruit/veggies/beans.

What are your maintenance plans?
Right now, I am trying to lose 1.5 lbs per week by logging all calories in myfitnesspal. Myfitnesspal gives me 1790 calories a day which I am always under. I'm not monitoring what types of food, just calories in/calories out. Maybe thats why Im not losing wight as fast as others but this is a long term plan and something sustainable to me. When I finally hit my goal weight (probably around 205) I will adjust my goal to lose 0 lbs a week and my calories will jump to around 2400 a day, which is really an exhorbitant amount. I have to force myself to eat practically. What ends up happening is I eat good all week and then I wont worry about weekends. Every week I will continue to  monitor my weight to see if I need to make any adjustments. Eventually, I will be so fine tuned with what I am putting into my body, I may be able to stop logging on myfitnesspal. I did this in 2012 and kept the weight off for 3+ years until last year where I just stopped caring due to depression.

It's hard to eat 3k+ of good food.  He's not eating bottomless appetizers from Applebys or wherever it is that has them.
Yeah, I know.    I just didn't make the assumption that he meant only good food when he said he was eating his ### off.    I don't think anyone is going to be quite as jealous b/c he can eat all the chicken breast and veggies he wants and not gain weight.   

Yeah I'm not eating junk, I've described my diet many times:

• Unlimited fat, get good fats constantly and avoid trans and vegetable fats as much as is practical
  • Try to get to 150g Protein a day at a minimum.  Supplement when required with whey.
  • Eat a #### ton of fiber, literally.
  • Try to avoid added sugar to the point where 20g is about my daily limit.  Most of it comes from the whey powder, and a bit from some dark chocolate
  • Keep carbs in the 50-100g a day range.  Stay out of ketosis, but high enough to keep energy up
  • Backload carbs if feeling sluggish with stuff like bananas, apples, and other fruits.  
I try to eat at least 4 full meals a day with 2 or more good snacks, mostly nuts and high fiber fruits.  Almost never eat anything out of a package.  Booze is moderate.  I don't count calories because I find calories mostly irrelevant.  

If I want to put on a bunch of weight I could just add back another 100-200g carbs and cut down on the rest of it.  I've tried to add carbs on top of this and I just look bloated. 

• Unlimited fat, get good fats constantly and avoid trans and vegetable fats as much as is practical
  • Try to get to 150g Protein a day at a minimum.  Supplement when required with whey.
  • Try to avoid added sugar to the point where 20g is about my daily limit.  Most of it comes from the whey powder, and a bit from some dark chocolate
  • Keep carbs in the 50-100g a day range.  Stay out of ketosis, but high enough to keep energy up
  • Backload carbs if feeling sluggish with stuff like bananas, apples, and other fruits.  
I try to eat at least 4 full meals a day with 2 or more good snacks, mostly nuts and high fiber fruits.  Almost never eat anything out of a package.  Booze is moderate.  I don't count calories because I find calories mostly irrelevant.  

If I want to put on a bunch of weight I could just add back another 100-200g carbs and cut down on the rest of it.  I've tried to add carbs on top of this and I just look bloated. 
Makes sense.  For those not paying attention, just adding "with healthy food" to your " eating my ### off for 3 years with very little to show for it" statement would've cleared up any confusion.   My bad.   

I did this in 2012 and kept the weight off for 3+ years until last year where I just stopped caring due to depression.
So the guy who says Atkins is a failure, got depressed on a fat restricted diet?  Just making sure I got this right.   I mean I am genuinely sorry you suffered, but this stands out.

HCLF diets that were popular in the past were notorious for causing damage to mental health.  The MFP guidelines are very aggressive with respect to fat content in the macros to the point of being dangerous.  And the mechanism here is pretty explainable.  As you cut without fat you #### up your Serotonin receptors, in a calorie deprived state with sufficient carbs to get trp over the blood brain barrier, but not enough fat to actually make the serotonin, testosterone, and dopamine that the carbs would tell you need, shockingly your mood suffers. 

Even Weight Watchers figured this out and altered their structure in the mid 2000s to re-weight their macros.  

Somehow, through ways I don't quite understand diets like the potato diet and Atkins work to an extent where your body can adapt to a mono type diet.  These blended MFP cuts with a rough macro content can be dangerous when applied without the proper goals.

pretty much what i'm doing.  i don't fine tune it as much, but the concept is similar.  i need more protein if i want to get yuuuuge

So the guy who says Atkins is a failure, got depressed on a fat restricted diet?  Just making sure I got this right.   I mean I am genuinely sorry you suffered, but this stands out.
Pretty sure I got depressed last year because my daughter passed away. Had nothing to do with my diet Didnt think I had to spell it out for you but whatever.

Pretty sure I got depressed last year because my daughter passed away. Had nothing to do with my diet Didnt think I had to spell it out for you but whatever.
No. I am sorry. For as much time as I spend here I have more of a mental block on peoples external events. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_diet

I know its wiki but feel free to check their resources.
Yeah... I usually avoid wiki for my science based information :rolleyes:  

"The Atkins diet is classified as a fad diet. There is only weak evidence supporting its effectiveness in helping achieve sustainable weight loss"

I argue that any diet is a fad diet with the possible exception of CICO because it's the oldest and easiest to "comprehend".  If you eat less and exercise more you'll lose weight, right?  Anyway... fads or not, diets will only ever be successful if you stick to them.

I call total BS on "weak evidence" supporting sustainable weight loss.  As I mentioned, ANY diet that helps you lose weight will not support sustainable weight loss if you go back to eating like a pig.   

"The Atkins diet is classified as a fad diet. There is only weak evidence supporting its effectiveness in helping achieve sustainable weight loss"

I argue that any diet is a fad diet with the possible exception of CICO because it's the oldest and easiest to "comprehend".  If you eat less and exercise more you'll lose weight, right?  Anyway... fads or not, diets will only ever be successful if you stick to them.

I call total BS on "weak evidence" supporting sustainable weight loss.  As I mentioned, ANY diet that helps you lose weight will not support sustainable weight loss if you go back to eating like a pig.   
Yeah - @fatguyinalittlecoat and I discussed this some earlier - I get the point that it's not a perfect diet if you put the weight back on but no one has shown me 1. That someone puts the weight on without going back to old eating habits and 2. Something better.  It seems like folks like to blame diets when I'm not aware of anything but surgery that works more than doesn't.  I will say that I know my current carb levels are definitely not sustainable all the time long term - nor desirable but I think like culdeus says - get to a 50-100 range.  Not 200-300+ like I was doing a lot of the time.

Yeah - @fatguyinalittlecoat and I discussed this some earlier - I get the point that it's not a perfect diet if you put the weight back on but no one has shown me 1. That someone puts the weight on without going back to old eating habits and 2. Something better.  It seems like folks like to blame diets when I'm not aware of anything but surgery that works more than doesn't.  I will say that I know my current carb levels are definitely not sustainable all the time long term - nor desirable but I think like culdeus says - get to a 50-100 range.  Not 200-300+ like I was doing a lot of the time.
Step 1 - Limit carbs to 50-100

Step 2 - If this isn't practical make damn sure your activity level warrants exceeding 100.  A 20-30 minute jog or 10000 steps isn't that level.

Step 1 - Limit carbs to 50-100

Step 2 - If this isn't practical make damn sure your activity level warrants exceeding 100.  A 20-30 minute jog or 10000 steps isn't that level.
What is for someone my size at 6'5" and 284.  I tried cutting carbs last year and got major headaches and felt awful.

What is for someone my size at 6'5" and 284.  I tried cutting carbs last year and got major headaches and felt awful.
Get ketone strips.  If your piss changes their color, eat more carbs.  Everyone is a bit different, but there at least is a metabolic marker to determine if you need to up the content a bit.

Now, this flies in the face of places like ketogains and keto in general, but I'm not really a fan of that method as a lifestyle change.  If you can make that work for you, great, god bless you. 

My general philosophy is you need Juuuuuuuuuust enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis.  

Updated. 

I'm not even recording a weight this week.  My life is nothing but ####### travel, client dinners, and crappy hotel rooms.  I can't get anything consistent going.  At this rate I'll make Platinum by October or so.  (that is definitely not a distinction I want).

And my bosses want me to travel more.   :crazy:

Updated. 

I'm not even recording a weight this week.  My life is nothing but ####### travel, client dinners, and crappy hotel rooms.  I can't get anything consistent going.  At this rate I'll make Platinum by October or so.  (that is definitely not a distinction I want).

And my bosses want me to travel more.   :crazy:
Hey, no excuses!

I've already logged 35k air miles this year. Just eat protein and drink bourbon. It can be done!

As I sit in my Huntsville Alabama hotel room...

Hey, no excuses!

I've already logged 35k air miles this year. Just eat protein and drink bourbon. It can be done!

As I sit in my Huntsville Alabama hotel room...
Hopefully long flights.  I'm not there on miles just lots of segments at this point.

Huntsville is better than Boston tonight.  Even though it's still ####### cold and windy down here.

Just coming up from a bad stretch. Giving up booze again. I believe that's the big first step to me making it progress.  We will see. 

196.2 this morning.  Finally feel like I'm moving in the right direction again.  Giving up peanut butter for lent has been a big difference.  

By definition, you restrict foods to lose weight.  When you get to a target weight, you no longer restrict, but instead go into a maintenance mode.  This is where people put all the weight back on.  They don't go into maintenance mode, they go into feast (beast??) mode.   They feel they've won and they are finally thin.  But we all know it doesn't work like that.  The best way to look at it is to add "today" to the I'm thin part.  "I'm thin today" is much better than "I'm thin."   

By definition, you restrict foods to lose weight.  When you get to a target weight, you no longer restrict, but instead go into a maintenance mode.  This is where people put all the weight back on.  They don't go into maintenance mode, they go into feast (beast??) mode.   They feel they've won and they are finally thin.  But we all know it doesn't work like that.  The best way to look at it is to add "today" to the I'm thin part.  "I'm thin today" is much better than "I'm thin."   
I'm fat today!

It works both ways!

Users who are viewing this thread