What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (14 Viewers)

I didn't really read any of this.  Is the takeaway that Otis weighs 380 pounds because of eating too many potatoes?

Thanks.

No.  It's ####ed up because my maid jumped on it apparently, but should be close up to today.  Currently at 168 which is my all time high.  Shooting for 170 then will perhaps join in the spud fun on a mini-cut for lack of any better idea.
You should pay your maid more money, so that she can afford to eat.#94lbs

This morning is a good, sobering reminder about my relationships with booze and food.

I went out saying I was going to have two drinks.  I probably knew I was deluding myself.  Had I not had to go to this dinner, I'd have been home on the couch with seltzers and velvet pillows, going to bed early and feeling good and pushing into week 3 of sobriety.  

What happens instead?  Six or seven or eight drinks into the night (I think), I'm drinking whatever anyone will put in front of me, I'm back at home on the couch refilling and refilling some more.  And because I'm bombed and had my first food of the day at 8pm, ravenous fat guy Oats is unleashed, and after eating a full meal of appetizers, steak and creamed spinach at the restaurant, I'm home, drunk, crushing anything in the pantry that has a morsel of chocolate in it (a problem, not because I buy any of that crap -- I know myself well enough to know my best defense is not to have it here at all -- but because my wife is pregnant and keeps buying tons of terrible junk food), washing it all down with 4 slices of leftover pizza.

I headed out to dinner last night feeling like, honestly, if I didn't go to this dinner, I wasn't hungry, and despite eating little all week and not eating all day, I seriously would have been fine eating nothing and going to bed on an empty stomach.  Probably would have felt glorious.

Now I wake up in the 5's feeling hungover and awful, with my body hating me.

Otis has never been good at moderation.  Not at anything in life.  It's 127% or bust.  Which is why its spuds for me.  Mrs. O last night suggested I take off today too and get back on spuds tomorrow.  But honestly, after last night, the thought of alcohol makes me want to gag -- even the smell of it on my breath right now is disgusting -- and the thought of eating crappy food, an waking up tired and bloated, is terrible.

I very much look forward to a tall glass of ice water and a plain baked spud.  Back on the wagon.  

No need to apologize, feel free to continue with the avatar, I'll get you a new one soon.

This is the Internet, some people can be #######s for their entertainment or amusement, not sure where you can find them, but they're out there.

<---- Said Otis would be up 5lbs yesterday, should've called 10.

I'll drop the ####### act for a second and try to get through the original message you buffoons don't want to hear. 

The spud diet or any other dad diet will lose weight, no questions asked, you can substitute potatoes with cupcakes if you want and still lose weight. The caveat, you'll obviously gain it back bc you haven't adjusted the habits that got you there, you've basically put a band aid on your problem. There might be outliers like super nice guy here who can actually stick with it forever, but that isn't the norm. When you get off potatoes welcome back the lost weight.

Went to Quality Italian last night with 4 other couples, this is a situation where I'd like to let loose and eat 12 pounds of food and drink 19 tequilas. The last 3 months of diet helped me stick to the plan yesterday, not bc I'm 33, but bc I'm developing different eating habits - Instead of cheese, fried stuff, pasta, and more fatty #### I had yellowtail, oysters, and halibut with some veggies, honestly it was delicious - 3 glasses of wine too match. Feel great right now and off to the gym at 645am, I'll be done with my exercise before 830.

While my wife was pregnant from June to Feb I gained a lot of weight and redeveloped some bad habits, now I'm adjusting to shake them. It takes willpower, your body will thank you.

Find a salad you like, there 5000 trendy salad places in NYC, same with soup, find a low fat/fat free yogurt you can snack on that you enjoy, mix in some fruit berries granola. Fish/seafood stuff like that for dinner. Mix in a few spuds of you ever want to look at a potato again. Have a good fatty meal once a week which is fine. Developing these habits will help you and anyone else in the long haul, the spud diet won't... It's a temporary fix for 9 out of 10. The one dude in here is the 1 out of 10

I'll drop the ####### act for a second and try to get through the original message you buffoons don't want to hear. 

The spud diet or any other dad diet will lose weight, no questions asked, you can substitute potatoes with cupcakes if you want and still lose weight. The caveat, you'll obviously gain it back bc you haven't adjusted the habits that got you there, you've basically put a band aid on your problem. There might be outliers like super nice guy here who can actually stick with it forever, but that isn't the norm. When you get off potatoes welcome back the lost weight.

Went to Quality Italian last night with 4 other couples, this is a situation where I'd like to let loose and eat 12 pounds of food and drink 19 tequilas. The last 3 months of diet helped me stick to the plan yesterday, not bc I'm 33, but bc I'm developing different eating habits - Instead of cheese, fried stuff, pasta, and more fatty #### I had yellowtail, oysters, and halibut with some veggies, honestly it was delicious - 3 glasses of wine too match. Feel great right now and off to the gym at 645am, I'll be done with my exercise before 830.

While my wife was pregnant from June to Feb I gained a lot of weight and redeveloped some bad habits, now I'm adjusting to shake them. It takes willpower, your body will thank you.

Find a salad you like, there 5000 trendy salad places in NYC, same with soup, find a low fat/fat free yogurt you can snack on that you enjoy, mix in some fruit berries granola. Fish/seafood stuff like that for dinner. Mix in a few spuds of you ever want to look at a potato again. Have a good fatty meal once a week which is fine. Developing these habits will help you and anyone else in the long haul, the spud diet won't... It's a temporary fix for 9 out of 10. The one dude in here is the 1 out of 10
But the potato diet is sustainable if you do it long term.  I had no problem doing it 5 days.  It was easy.  If I do that every week, I'll bet I can go gangbusters all weekend and still maintain a low weight.  At this point, I'd like to still drop another 15 or 20lbs, so I'd like to be restrictive on weekends as well to maximize my progress.  

I've actually convinced the wife to give this a try with me after some of these magic results.  However, it is on the condition oats doesn't gain nearly all of it back on last nights bender.

I've actually convinced the wife to give this a try with me after some of these magic results.  However, it is on the condition oats doesn't gain nearly all of it back on last nights bender.
That seems like a weird condition.  Everyone knows Oat's benders are epic.

Yeah, she really doesn't want to do it.  Figured this would be a big test of the diets validity.
Morning weigh-in within the hour probably (you'll be able to view in the above link immediately, my Aria will update as soon as I step off the scale...).  But I wouldn't do anything based on the morning weigh in.  All of the salt and booze from last night will certainly cause either bloating/retention or hydration, either of which is going to skew results.  I don't think we'll know the true impact of last night's massacre for another day or two.  

Never had crawfish, do they taste like shrimp?
same stuff used to boil them, so yes.  a little bit denser meat.   the flavor of the boil in the potatoes is one of my favorite things to eat at them.

speaking of...made a crawfish boiled hot dog topped with crawfish tails, onions, sausage, and garlic from the boil, and also boiled the dogs in the crawlfish pot.   topped with smoked gouda...best hot dog ever.  seriously good.

21.2%

Up about 2lbs since yesterday, body fat down.  Not bad. 
Oats,

can you summarize the weight day by day? Can't view your chart on my phone as the site uses antiquated flash tech. 

Total down over 5 days of diet? 

Gained 2 back after insane bender?

Oats,

can you summarize the weight day by day? Can't view your chart on my phone as the site uses antiquated flash tech. 

Total down over 5 days of diet? 

Gained 2 back after insane bender?
Sunday, May 15 starting weight: 231.6

Today, Saturday May 22, after a gluttonous bender: 227

So, down 4.1lbs in 6 days.  About a 0.7 lb per day rate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
same stuff used to boil them, so yes.  a little bit denser meat.   the flavor of the boil in the potatoes is one of my favorite things to eat at them.

speaking of...made a crawfish boiled hot dog topped with crawfish tails, onions, sausage, and garlic from the boil, and also boiled the dogs in the crawlfish pot.   topped with smoked gouda...best hot dog ever.  seriously good.

Yeah and shrimp don't have all that fat seafood goop business - its kind of like the old ##### joke, "looking bad, tastin' good."

Serious question: do you masturbate to yourself in the mirror?  

fantasycurse42 said:
I don't know anyone that has ever been on a potato only diet.

Developing these habits will help you and anyone else in the long haul, the spud diet won't... It's a temporary fix for 9 out of 10.

For someone with zero experience with or data regarding the potato diet, you sure do make a lot of confident pronouncements about its typical results.

For someone with zero experience with or data regarding the potato diet, you sure do make a lot of confident pronouncements about its typical results.
I'm not disputing you can lose weight eating only potatoes, we can throw that part of the conversation out.

Do you enjoy eating? For me, food is a top 5 pleasure in life, if I'm betting, I'd say that is more the norm than the outlier. Would you agree with this?

My position is simple, if someone hasn't adjusted to normal eating habits, they're more likely to revert back to old habits when they end their fad diet, whether it be potatoes, twinkies, snickers bars, etc. By going potato only, you haven't solved the problem that got you into a position of being overweight, you've found a temporary fix, unless of course you're prepared to eat only potatoes until you die. That sounds more like an awful punishment to me than an eating solution.

I'd love to understand why a potato diet is more beneficial to a healthy diet of proteins/veggies/fruits/etc.? Wouldn't you agree this would be more sustainable? Why would someone want to deprive themself of food except potatoes? People enjoy eating. Do you think eating only potatoes forever is an enjoyable way to live? Otis goes out with some friends and eats only potatoes, good shtick, everyone laughs. 6 months later nobody is laughing, they just think he's a lunatic.

This diet might have some longevity, as Otis may just stick with it to spite FC
I'd actually love this - he wouldn't be sticking it to me by depriving himself of food. Please Otis, never eat anything besides a potato again, sounds more like prison than a diet. 

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that potatoes -- for lack of a better word -- are good.

Potatoes are right.

Potatoes work.

Potatoes clarify, cut through, and capture the essence of the weight loss spirit.

Potatoes, in all of its forms -- potatoes for baking, for roasting, for boiling, for fries -- have marked the upward surge of mankind.

And potatoes -- you mark my words -- will not only save Otis, but that other malfunctioning body called Footballguys.

Well, I may still be in this. I am down to 194.8 from 200. Today will be tough. Pizza party for my daughter's birthday. Need to use all of fantasycurses will power

What are variants to how you are cooking potatoes?
Tomorrow I'm kicking off with baked potatoes and then mixing in sriracha. Looking forward to it. 

Other than these I'm finding the red potatoes are my favorite. Split in half and boiled, a little salt and you're good to go. 

Went under 230 this morning: 229.4

i cheated last night, too. Had 2 garlic twists with mozzarella and a huge salad with avocado. I do miss cheese on this diet lifestyle eating adjustment. Seriously considering the idea of placing a wager at Healthy Wager, stolen from lombardi's thread. I can pocket like $650, if I lose another 40 lbs in 8 months. I think I can do it, but it would be pretty miserable to hit a plateau while I had a wager riding.

Otis has never been good at moderation.  Not at anything in life.  It's 127% or bust.   
Otis, I'm the same way. It's why we each achieve a ton.  It's also why we have trouble slowing down and truly taking care of ourselves. There's always something more important to get done.

I'm 15 years older than you.  I've had some serious health issues the last ten years because I just didn't slow down and take care of myself correctly.  If you don't slow down, you too will make excuses in the future as to why your health starts failing.  After each new issue, I realized I didn't slow down enough. It's just the way we're wired I guess. Will probably take me retiring to shed my pounds. Something that might happen in August.

this may upset some people......otis isn't fat.  he's 6'4", 230-240.  he may be a touch pear shaped, potato shaped?  but he's not really fat.  

oats, make sure you find your favorite spud bar before july!  tubers are on me!

Well my wife talked me into reverting to the long-term lifestyle now. In her words, she asked me to "not be weird" at our family party yesterday, and to enjoy a non-potato meal out with the family today, and then to do what I did in the first week, which is start my week long hack with Sunday night dinner and roll to Friday night or Saturday morning on pure taters. 

This will slow my progress, but I'll undoubtedly make progress. And in the meantime, I noticed that, other than my drunken binge, it actually has worked a bit to "reset my palette."  Walking past the massive jar of Oreos in the kitchen, I have no desire to grab one. This morning I'll pick up bagels for the family, and won't have one (I may whip up some hash brown style potatoes instead).  I'm drinking my coffee black. I'm drinking more water and seltzer. All little things from the week that are bleeding over into the weekend.

We'll see if this works. I strongly suspect it will. We won't know really until later this week, but a Friday weigh-in in the low 220s would be proof positive.  If I can maintain a 4 lb per week loss and then basically just enjoy what I want (reasonably) on the weekends, this is a home run.

OT

Users who are viewing this thread