Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)

• Replies 20.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Otis

• AAABatteries

• bostonfred

• DA RAIDERS

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, tr

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 20

I see the obvious problem here. A guy whose magnum opus on FBGs starts with "so I loan this chick I don't know 3 racks" called BS on me for saying I averaged a loss of 8 lbs a week on a diet. That is 

Posted Images

On 8/21/2017 at 9:52 AM, GregR said:

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28: 290 lbs
July 6:   277.4 lbs
July 10: 274.0 lbs
July 14: 270.0 lbs
July 19: 266.8 lbs
July 23: 261.7 lbs
Aug 1: 261.2 lbs
Aug 7: 254.6 lbs
Aug 13: 250.0 lbs
Aug 21: 244.8 lbs
Aug 30: 244.8 lbs

Total weight loss:  45.2 lbs

I'd dropped to 244.4 before the hurricane hit and I stopped worrying about the diet much. Thought I was going to end up gaining a bit. But ending up sick with a lack of hunger, plus climbing around on rafters in my attic with a hockey stick for an hour-plus chasing out Rocket Racoon probably helped get me back to where I was last weigh in.

Edited by GregR
  • Like 4

Busy day at work so I missed lunch yesterday.  Didn't go crazy in the evening eating everything, but I did have a couple of snacks in addition to the pizza top I like to make (shredded cheese on parchment paper, top with pepperoni, sausage, italian seasoning).  Woke up down 3 pounds to 170.  Probably won't stick that low, but I am really looking forward to seeing 16x on the scale.  It's been a long time.

That (artificially?) bumps my weight loss for the month to 7 lbs, which is the second largest month loss since starting Keto at the beginning of May.

• Like 2

Weighed in at 235.4 on Monday.  

I think I'm going to change up my lifting routine from low to medium reps to higher reps (10+).  For one, trying to lose weight while building muscle or even maintaining is a losing proposition, and I'm feeling kind of stale in my routine.  I think when I hit 50 in four months I'll do my best to start a proper slow bulk/then cut series.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Week 8 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 181.7
Current Weight: 176.8
Last Week: 174.4
Week Lost: +2.4 lbs
Total Lost: 4.9 lbs
Total % Lost: 2.70%

Overall Starting Weight: 237.5
Current Weight: 176.8
Total Lost: 63.7 lbs
Total % Lost: 25.56%

https://imgur.com/xjcD26J

Dude, you've lost 25% of your original body weight without any apparent amputations.

:clap:

Although the disappearing feet is a bit concerning

• Like 4

Shin, and ankle, have been a lot better. Actual pain stopped awhile ago, though a couple of gym workouts with trainers agitated them.

Haven't been able to see the PT in 9 days now, and it may be another week or two before they are open again because of Harvey floods. I may give it a few more days and then try a short, slow ride and see how it handles it. Got back into my diet now, and lifted weights today. Feeling my motivation growing. It was rock bottom during the storm and flooding.

• Like 1

Posted this in the wrong thread. Oops:

Time for me to cut some fat now. Been lifting hard and heavy (for me anyway) and doing creatine and eating a ton. Now I want to dial out the carbs and sugars. Starting tomorrow going low carb. Will keep carbs below 20. And I'm sure automatically will end up limiting calories pretty significantly.  Will eat proteins and fats but not worry too much about the balance of those at first. Will stay the course on creatine and lifting. Will try and cut down on the booze a bit -- enjoyed the summer, but now it's time to cool it a bit. 

Starting tomorrow. Curious to see how I feel in a week. And what happens with the body fat. 

• Like 1

Week 9 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 198.2
Current Weight: 179.4
Last Week: 182.0
Week Lost: -2.6 lbs
Total Lost: 18.8 lbs
Total % Lost: 9.1%

Eating went well this week and got a couple of 5 mile run/walks in.  Completed the first 3.1 miles on Friday in less than 30 minutes for the first time.  I did strain my groin a bit yesterday during soccer trying to keep up with the grad students - I may be resting for a couple of days.

@AAABatteries

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Otis said:

Time for me to cut some fat now. Been lifting hard and heavy (for me anyway) and doing creatine and eating a ton. Now I want to dial out the carbs and sugars. Starting tomorrow going low carb. Will keep carbs below 20. And I'm sure automatically will end up limiting calories pretty significantly.  Will eat proteins and fats but not worry too much about the balance of those at first. Will stay the course on creatine and lifting. Will try and cut down on the booze a bit -- enjoyed the summer, but now it's time to cool it a bit. 

Starting tomorrow. Curious to see how I feel in a week. And what happens with the body fat. 

If you want to keep as much of that muscle you built, you need to have a better plan. Lose 1-2# per week, make sure you're hitting .8-1g/protein per lb, and lift heavy still by decreasing volume. Loose too much, too fast and your body will breakdown muscle. If you don't get enough protein and tell your body it needs strength still, it'll breakdown muscle.

Edited by Charlie Harper
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, GregR said:

Shin, and ankle, have been a lot better. Actual pain stopped awhile ago, though a couple of gym workouts with trainers agitated them.

Haven't been able to see the PT in 9 days now, and it may be another week or two before they are open again because of Harvey floods. I may give it a few more days and then try a short, slow ride and see how it handles it. Got back into my diet now, and lifted weights today. Feeling my motivation growing. It was rock bottom during the storm and flooding.

Greg without me going back was it shin splints?  I picked up some $10 compression sleeves on Amazon and my severe shin splints disappeared.

13 hours ago, Otis said:

Have you thought about changing your routine? I mentioned in the other thread but broscience would say that a split routine is not good on a cut.

30 minutes ago, ragincajun said:

Greg without me going back was it shin splints?  I picked up some $10 compression sleeves on Amazon and my severe shin splints disappeared.

Not sure actually. The doc said shin splints and sent me to a PT. The PT said he doesn't think it's shin splints as it doesn't go as far up the leg as normal, but isn't sure what it is. Possibly high ankle but he didn't think it fit that completely either. It was just a small like 3x3 inch area on the shin. My ankle was also having issues, and each time I irritated the ankle at the gym the shin would hurt worse too.

I did some more googling and found a lot of other people have had shin issues with biking. Seems like it's often from having the heel too far down during part of the cycle, which I could have been doing as I was trying to go easy on my calf.

I was using an ace wrap for compression, though I found it got a little more sore when I did that so the PT said to go ahead and stop.

42 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Have you thought about changing your routine? I mentioned in the other thread but broscience would say that a split routine is not good on a cut.

I like my routine, and really, I don't want to mess with the one thing I am doing consistently, and which seems to be working...

57 minutes ago, GregR said:

Not sure actually. The doc said shin splints and sent me to a PT. The PT said he doesn't think it's shin splints as it doesn't go as far up the leg as normal, but isn't sure what it is. Possibly high ankle but he didn't think it fit that completely either. It was just a small like 3x3 inch area on the shin. My ankle was also having issues, and each time I irritated the ankle at the gym the shin would hurt worse too.

I did some more googling and found a lot of other people have had shin issues with biking. Seems like it's often from having the heel too far down during part of the cycle, which I could have been doing as I was trying to go easy on my calf.

I was using an ace wrap for compression, though I found it got a little more sore when I did that so the PT said to go ahead and stop.

My wife is a PT.  Mine is from running.  I have severe pains in a small area along the inside of my shin and outside of my shin about 6 inches above my ankle.  We tried stretching but I threw in the compression sleeves for good measure.  The first time was strange, but I got used to them.  One of the interesting things I found out was if it is very localized and very sensitive it could have been a hairline fracture.  I am no webmd though.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ragincajun said:

My wife is a PT.  Mine is from running.  I have severe pains in a small area along the inside of my shin and outside of my shin about 6 inches above my ankle.  We tried stretching but I threw in the compression sleeves for good measure.  The first time was strange, but I got used to them.  One of the interesting things I found out was if it is very localized and very sensitive it could have been a hairline fracture.  I am no webmd though.

When I start riding again may give them a try. I saw others mention them helping.

I didn't have any issues until I changed my pedaling because of my tight calf. I'm really hopeful once it is fully healed that'll be that (other than needing to stretch the calf more going forward). But I'll do whatever, long as I can keep riding in my regular routine.

29 minutes ago, ragincajun said:

Link to the sleeves you got?  I have a little trouble with my left leg from time to time and would like to try them out.  I already where a sleeve on my left knee.

Week 9 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 178
Current Weight: 171
Last Week: 173.5
Week Lost: 2.5 lbs
Total Lost: 7.0 lbs
Total % Lost: 3.9%

Overall Starting Weight: 198.5
Total Lost: 27.5 lbs
Total % Lost: 13.9%

@AAABatteries

I really don't get this Keto diet.  Weight loss was stalled.  I cheated every other day last week, including going to the Minnesota state fair on Saturday, ignoring my diet.  I end up losing 2.5 pounds this week? :shrug: Probably a stall next week.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

I really don't get this Keto diet.  Weight loss was stalled.  I cheated every other day last week, including going to the Minnesota state fair on Saturday, ignoring my diet.  I end up losing 2.5 pounds this week? :shrug: Probably a stall next week.

My experience has been the opposite - I had hoped during this round to stick mostly to Keto and ramp up exercise - I'm 1 for 2 - I've really hit my stride with working out but my weight loss has completely stalled as I've essentially stopped doing Keto.  Granted when you have a lot to lose it's easier so I was bound to hit a plateau.  I'm looking at it like this is a time for my body to regulate and be in maintenance.  When I get home on 9/25 I plan to go hard with Keto until Thanksgiving.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:07 PM, GregR said:

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28: 290 lbs
July 6:   277.4 lbs
July 10: 274.0 lbs
July 14: 270.0 lbs
July 19: 266.8 lbs
July 23: 261.7 lbs
Aug 1: 261.2 lbs
Aug 7: 254.6 lbs
Aug 13: 250.0 lbs
Aug 21: 244.8 lbs
Aug 30: 244.8 lbs
Sep 5:  244.0 lbs

Total weight loss:  46.0 lbs

Moving in the right direction at least.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Week 9 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 181.7
Current Weight: 175.7
Last Week: 176.8
Week Lost: 1.1 lbs
Total Lost: 6.0 lbs
Total % Lost: 3.3%

Overall Starting Weight: 237.5
Current Weight: 175.7
Total Lost: 61.8 lbs
Total % Lost: 26.02%

https://m.imgur.com/l0XWQS7

You've really been kicking it. What is your final target? There can't be too much more for your to lose!  :thumbup:

46 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Week 9 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 178
Last Week: 173.5
Week Lost: 2.5 lbs
Total Lost: 7.0 lbs
Total % Lost: 3.9%

Overall Starting Weight: 198.5
Total Lost: 27.5 lbs
Total % Lost: 13.9%

@AAABatteries

I've often felt like changes on the scale can lag by about 5-7 days behind my activity and eating changes. Just keep at it GB.

11 minutes ago, GregR said:

I've often felt like changes on the scale can lag by about 5-7 days behind my activity and eating changes. Just keep at it GB.

You're probably right, but it is going to suck eating right for the next week and see the scale go up. :kicksrock: 

Big drop for me this week which fits the pattern of drop, stall for a couple weeks, drop and so on. I know the scale has jumped up since I weighed myself on Sunday AM (however that weigh in is without having played basketball or working out first thing in the AM) as my cousin was visiting for her birthday and we made sure to do it right - taco night on Sunday (kept myself to one tortilla, but I overseasoned the asada a bit so too much salt and I felt it yesterday) and with yesterday being her actual birthday did up a bunch of ribeye and shrimp on the grill with asparagus and baked potatoes and I said f you to keto and had two potatoes. MMMMM.   Today is a flush day, going to b strict on the diet and try get at least 1.5 gallons, possibly 2 gallons of water in to help flush that excess salt from the weekend. I leave to Vegas on Wednesday night for FFPC drafts, so I am hoping to simply stay within 5 pounds come Sunday morning.

Phase 3 Week 9

Week 8 Starting Weight: 257.7
Current Weight: 250.8
Week Lost: 6.9

Phase 3 Starting Weight: 267.6 (from July 2 weigh in)
Phase 3 Lost: 16.8
Phase 3 % Lost: -6.3%

Overall Starting Weight (from April 16): 300.1
Total Lost: 49.3
Total % Lost: 16.4%

@AAABatteries

• Like 4
1 hour ago, GregR said:

You've really been kicking it. What is your final target? There can't be too much more for your to lose!  :thumbup:

Thanks.  Honestly, I don't have a number at this point but just going by the mirror.  I still have belly fat I'd like to lose - I think I COULD lose another 10-15 pounds but it is going to be tough.  It' really a matter of how happy I am with my appearance and how motivated I would be to do something about it. 

1 hour ago, Bull Dozier said:

You're probably right, but it is going to suck eating right for the next week and see the scale go up. :kicksrock: 

Just watch the trend lines.  If the goal is fat loss, it can be disguised by water retention.  Sodium content, carb creep, and sleep can throw 3-5lb swings in my daily weight.  

• Like 1

Inspired by you guys.  Going to do the same program I did last year.  No red meat, pork, added sugar or white flour from Labor Day until Thanksgiving (only exception will trip to New Orleans in October).  I did it to see how it would affect my blood pressure, cholesterol and other measurables.  Not weight loss.  Of course it was a home run all the way around.  Really want to drop 20.  Comes at a perfect time as I was down for the count for almost 3 months with sciatica.  Back at the gym, cardio, stretching and looking at core/yoga/pilates.  Hope to start golfing again next month.

Want to use this as a launching point to eating differently year round.  Daughter is vegan and eats incredibly healthy (much of it tastes great too).  Don't know if I can give up brisket and a few other favorites though. But I should 86 the processed stuff for good.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Inspired by you guys.  Going to do the same program I did last year.  No red meat, pork, added sugar or white flour from Labor Day until Thanksgiving (only exception will trip to New Orleans in October).  I did it to see how it would affect my blood pressure, cholesterol and other measurables.  Not weight loss.  Of course it was a home run all the way around.  Really want to drop 20.  Comes at a perfect time as I was down for the count for almost 3 months with sciatica.  Back at the gym, cardio, stretching and looking at core/yoga/pilates.  Hope to start golfing again next month.

Want to use this as a launching point to eating differently year round.  Daughter is vegan and eats incredibly healthy (much of it tastes great too).  Don't know if I can give up brisket and a few other favorites though. But I should 86 the processed stuff for good.

Gone Vegan myself, really not bad. 

19 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Thanks.  Honestly, I don't have a number at this point but just going by the mirror.  I still have belly fat I'd like to lose - I think I COULD lose another 10-15 pounds but it is going to be tough.  It' really a matter of how happy I am with my appearance and how motivated I would be to do something about it. 

:stalker:

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess I'm going to start posting again (and maybe get in the next round of the contest to keep me on track when things get less easy.)

As I mentioned in the obesity thread, I'm a serial dieter and serial re-gainer.  I literally have pants in waist sizes from 32 to 50.  In February, I was probably at an all-time high (weight wise, an all time low health wise).  I was 314 lbs.  I had a chronic cough from Gerd (maybe) or something so that I would have coughing fits that would make me have to throw up. 

I started doing a bit on my own, but only really got down to about 305.  I then started seeing a weight loss doctor I've seen in the past.  I started trying around an 1800 calorie a day diet where I was trying to limit carbs but not be ketogenic or anything.  That was going OK through May, but I ended up having a crappy June and gaining weight to be over 285 again.  My wife decided to go back to the same doctor to lose baby weight.  She chose to go back to a very restrictive protein-sparing modified fast (essentially 4 protein shakes or bars and 4 low fat dairy servings a day with some allowances for fiber and enough fat to avoid screwing with your gall bladder).  Because it made no sense to try to cook only for me , I'm mostly doing that myself now.   My calories generally range from 1200 to 1600 a day right now.  I try to get at least 120 grams of protein and 30 grams of fiber.  I'm probably at more carbs than "induction" level keto dieting, but I'm not eating starches or sugars.  Of course, I'm also not eating a lot of "real food".  I do sometimes substitute my typical protein shake or Quest Bar with a Palm Beach Salad with extra shrimp for Chopt.  Or I might have a low sugar jerky or something in lieu of a protein bar. 

So now I'm at 260.  So the good news is that I've lost nearly 55 lbs and 4 or 5 pant sizes.  The bad news is that the first number on my waistline is still "4" and I have at least 50 lbs to go at a minimum.  I actually don't even know what a realistic goal weight is.  I was a 32 inch waist at 215 lbs a few years ago, but BMI would tell me that's still like 45 lbs overweight.  I think 190 might be doable.  165 seems impossible (I actually was 165 at one time in my 20's after doing Atkins and meeting my wife, but I sense that another 20 years of obesity has probably greatly affected my bone density).

For exercise, I'm sticking to walking at an incline on the treadmill and just bodyweight/exercise band stuff for strength training. 

• Like 5
On 9/6/2017 at 8:50 AM, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Yeah, I guess I'm going to start posting again (and maybe get in the next round of the contest to keep me on track when things get less easy.)

As I mentioned in the obesity thread, I'm a serial dieter and serial re-gainer.  I literally have pants in waist sizes from 32 to 50.  In February, I was probably at an all-time high (weight wise, an all time low health wise).  I was 314 lbs.  I had a chronic cough from Gerd (maybe) or something so that I would have coughing fits that would make me have to throw up. 

I started doing a bit on my own, but only really got down to about 305.  I then started seeing a weight loss doctor I've seen in the past.  I started trying around an 1800 calorie a day diet where I was trying to limit carbs but not be ketogenic or anything.  That was going OK through May, but I ended up having a crappy June and gaining weight to be over 285 again.  My wife decided to go back to the same doctor to lose baby weight.  She chose to go back to a very restrictive protein-sparing modified fast (essentially 4 protein shakes or bars and 4 low fat dairy servings a day with some allowances for fiber and enough fat to avoid screwing with your gall bladder).  Because it made no sense to try to cook only for me , I'm mostly doing that myself now.   My calories generally range from 1200 to 1600 a day right now.  I try to get at least 120 grams of protein and 30 grams of fiber.  I'm probably at more carbs than "induction" level keto dieting, but I'm not eating starches or sugars.  Of course, I'm also not eating a lot of "real food".  I do sometimes substitute my typical protein shake or Quest Bar with a Palm Beach Salad with extra shrimp for Chopt.  Or I might have a low sugar jerky or something in lieu of a protein bar. 

So now I'm at 260.  So the good news is that I've lost nearly 55 lbs and 4 or 5 pant sizes.  The bad news is that the first number on my waistline is still "4" and I have at least 50 lbs to go at a minimum.  I actually don't even know what a realistic goal weight is.  I was a 32 inch waist at 215 lbs a few years ago, but BMI would tell me that's still like 45 lbs overweight.  I think 190 might be doable.  165 seems impossible (I actually was 165 at one time in my 20's after doing Atkins and meeting my wife, but I sense that another 20 years of obesity has probably greatly affected my bone density).

For exercise, I'm sticking to walking at an incline on the treadmill and just bodyweight/exercise band stuff for strength training. 

How tall are you there?

Quest Oatmeal cookie bar is awesome.  The brownie in the. I rows every for a few seconds without foil is great awesome also.  Very few seconds.  It gets hot fast.

On 9/4/2017 at 0:10 PM, GregR said:
On 9/4/2017 at 0:05 PM, ragincajun said:

When I start riding again may give them a try. I saw others mention them helping.

I didn't have any issues until I changed my pedaling because of my tight calf. I'm really hopeful once it is fully healed that'll be that (other than needing to stretch the calf more going forward). But I'll do whatever, long as I can keep riding in my regular routine.

Did slow rides of 5 minutes and 15 minutes yesterday, and then 30 minutes this morning. Got ankle support but had to stick with ace wrap for the shin. Now that Amazon is shipping into Houston again I'll get a compression sleeve for it.

Not feeling any actual pain, but after the 30 minute ride I'm a bit more aware of it. More like a tightness than pain, and the ankle is a little stiff.

Kind of wish now they'd done an x-ray just to rule out any kind of stress fracture, especially after your comment pretty much matches how it felt. I may rest it another week just to be safe. Diet is working, have lost a couple of pounds off the scale the last few days, so I can stretch the recovery out a little longer.

Edited by GregR
  • Otis changed the title to Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)