What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

At the airport in New Orleans - ate my way through Louisiana and southern Mississippi.  Hit Tipsy's twice, had frog's legs, turtle soup, etouffee, fried alligator, jambalaya, debris fries, bread pudding, crawfish, shrimp, and catfish.  Birthday cake for my daughter tomorrow and then back on the wagon Sunday.  Looking forward to some salads and veggies that haven't been battered and fried.

It might have been mentioned in this thread and a bunch of you guys probably know it, but I found this link to be very helpful in understanding things about food and diet and explaining it in easy to understand terms.

The Best Diet Plan – Lose Fat. Build Muscle. Be Healthy
:blackdot:
And BTW, "Best" is meant to be toungue-in-cheek in the title. The only best plan is the one that works best for you and your goals and what you're willing to do to get there. Everyone is different.

Curious about this too.  

This morning I mashed some boiled potatoes into a pan and just ate them like hash browns.  Required some PAM to get to something approximating fried, but it's not like it was doused in oil.  Was not that difficult.  But if this thing is easier/faster, I'll do it.  I'd like to get my spud trend going again.  Stuff is magical.
About to reengage the potato hack. 

My lifting routine is off in recent weeks. About a 5 week stretch where I’m mostly out of town, which totally sucks, causes me to eat worse, and throws off my lifting routine.  Leave in a couple days for Asia for two weeks, where I’ll try and lift but doubt I will regularly. But I’ll try. I’ll also work on trying to eat healthy, though I’m a bit at the mercy of whatever clients put in front of me. But it’s Japan, and they don’t reslly eat that much garbage to begin with...

When I return home I will jump into the potato hack. I will continue my same lifting schedule, but I’m guessing I’ll want to drop down from the heaviest weight for a bit — I can’t imagine it’s a good idea to lift heavy while doing the hack. @ProstheticRGK, thoughts on that?

Im not going to completely lose the heavy lifting, but maybe I’ll drop down 20lbs or so on exercises and go for some more reps.  After I am on the hack for a few weeks I can reevaluate. 

About to reengage the potato hack. 

My lifting routine is off in recent weeks. About a 5 week stretch where I’m mostly out of town, which totally sucks, causes me to eat worse, and throws off my lifting routine.  Leave in a couple days for Asia for two weeks, where I’ll try and lift but doubt I will regularly. But I’ll try. I’ll also work on trying to eat healthy, though I’m a bit at the mercy of whatever clients put in front of me. But it’s Japan, and they don’t reslly eat that much garbage to begin with...

When I return home I will jump into the potato hack. I will continue my same lifting schedule, but I’m guessing I’ll want to drop down from the heaviest weight for a bit — I can’t imagine it’s a good idea to lift heavy while doing the hack. @ProstheticRGK, thoughts on that?

Im not going to completely lose the heavy lifting, but maybe I’ll drop down 20lbs or so on exercises and go for some more reps.  After I am on the hack for a few weeks I can reevaluate. 
I’d ask @culdeusabout that. I dont know all the physiology behind what happens in your body while lifting. I remember reading that the original potato diet started in a Scottish debtors’ prison, with people engaged in pretty heavy manual labor, so i dont think youre going to pass out, or anything. But, as far as maximizing gains or max weiht vs max reps-  I have no clue. 

If doing an extreme diet then the splits will produce recovery issues.  

In general, I would promote something like ice cream fitness (icf) which is a full body every day routine done 3x a week. 

On the 4th day something conditioning focused maybe. You still got that peleton?

Ok thanks. Yeah I suppose I can’t expext to continue making gains or building muscle, but I suppose really as long as I can just maintain and not lose muscle, I’d be happy. 

I’m actually tempted to supplement with whey protein. Potato hack plus protein shakes?

@culdeus, thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks. Yeah I suppose I can’t expext to continue making gains or building muscle, but I suppose really as long as I can just maintain and not lose muscle, I’d be happy. 

I’m actually tempted to supplement with whey protein. Potato hack plus protein shakes?

@culdeus, thoughts on this?
I mean it's an exclusion diet.  What would you mix with protein powder? Water?  yum

proninja said:
NIce. I haven't been doing a strict power lifting routine, but been back at the gym for a little bit. Have my 3x6 deadlift on heavy days up to 335, and 80 on the 3x6 dumbell press. Hitting 3 workouts a week pretty regularly. I stopped keto/counting mostly because it was starting to get tiresome, broke up with my scale, but my jeans fit the same as they did when I stopped. I'm going to add 3x week bike on the trainer before too long, hit that in the winter, then probably do a cut in the spring. I'm hoping by the time next summer rolls around I'll be feeling pretty good. 
Very nice. I’m still only at 225 for deadlift. The last 6 months are the first time in my life I’ve done squats and deadlifts, and I’m terrified of hurting my back. I’m tall and have long legs, and it’s alwsys an awkward motion for me. I’m sure my form isn’t great. But in any event, my plan is to keep going slow and steady so as not to hurt myself. I figure the fact that I’m doing these lifts at all, after 40+ years of never doing them, is a success by itself. 

culdeus said:
I mean it's an exclusion diet.  What would you mix with protein powder? Water?  yum
What if I modify the exclusion diet to have milk with my protein shake each morning?  Yes it wouldn’t be strict potato hack anymore, but if I’m only eating potatoes all day, my calories are necessarily going to be restricted and the garbage food removed, and I can still get the protein I want to continue my strength progress?

i dunno, just trying to think through options. It’s porbsbly also fine for me to do the hack properly and drop down in weights and increase reps in line with a cutting routine. 

Well this went to the ####ter fast - I blame Otis.

I thought phase III ended in a couple of weeks.  I've been on Otis' bulking plan since I got back from vacation - kept the 10 lbs I found those 10 days.  I need to sort through the updates to see who won.  

Otis just landed in Japan for a couple weeks. Decent hotel gym and no excuse to miss it since I’ll sleep like crap. 

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28: 290 lbs
July 6:   277.4 lbs
July 10: 274.0 lbs
July 14: 270.0 lbs
July 19: 266.8 lbs
July 23: 261.7 lbs
Aug 1: 261.2 lbs
Aug 7: 254.6 lbs
Aug 13: 250.0 lbs
Aug 21: 244.8 lbs
Aug 30: 244.8 lbs
Sep 5:  244.0 lbs
Sep 11: 242.8 lbs
Sep 18: 237.0 lbs
Sep 25: 236.6 lbs
Oct 3: 235.8 lbs
Oct 17: 239.0 lbs

Total weight loss:  51.0 lbs
Gah. Have not had much motivation the last two weeks, and put back on 3 pounds.

I was 181 yesterday. My body doesn't want to go below 180. Taking the week off to enjoy Some Cajun food and will rededicate with weights when I get home. Joining a gym and going to try to Otis up. 
Still at 181.  Diet has been fairly consistent but exercise has been slacking.  Working on getting back on the horse.  I blame that stupid paperclip game.

I was 181 yesterday. My body doesn't want to go below 180. Taking the week off to enjoy Some Cajun food and will rededicate with weights when I get home. Joining a gym and going to try to Otis up. 
Still at 181.  Diet has been fairly consistent but exercise has been slacking.  Working on getting back on the horse.  I blame that stupid paperclip game.
What weight are you shooting for as being ideal?

What weight are you shooting for as being ideal?
Not quite sure.  I could be OK at 180 long term.  I'm 6'0 and 41 years old.  My peak weight was probably around 230 in 2011-2012.  I was probably 160-170 as a soccer player in high school.  My main goal is managing my type 2 diabetes, getting in better shape for rec soccer (speed and endurance), and looking good naked.

TLDR - I'd like to see if I could hit 170 with a little bit of muscle definition.

Not quite sure.  I could be OK at 180 long term.  I'm 6'0 and 41 years old.  My peak weight was probably around 230 in 2011-2012.  I was probably 160-170 as a soccer player in high school.  My main goal is managing my type 2 diabetes, getting in better shape for rec soccer (speed and endurance), and looking good naked.

TLDR - I'd like to see if I could hit 170 with a little bit of muscle definition.
Its tougher to get down.  I'm about your size, probably slimmer build, currently at 173ish.  I want to get down to 160, as I did about ten years ago, but 170 is my wall.  I'm taking a break and will fire up the work again after the new year I think (though 175 is my stop gap, if I hit that again it is back on the diet hard to get back down to 170.  I don't want to lose too much ground).

Did we ever determine who the "winner" was? Just trying to determine if I should be sending money to a charity of someone's choice.

Will we be setting up a Q1 2018, Blast the Holiday Weight Gain Away competition?

To hold me accountable to myself, still weighing in each Sunday morning. Last week I was at 240.8. I will gain this week, not on purpose but because a toe injury (not an excuse, but today is the first day that I can put any sort of pressure on it) and kid's activities have limited my activity. Keeping diet in check, and weighed myself this Am and am back in the 245-246 range, though the funny thing is I feel like I still look a bit leaner. Hoping this toe injury heals quickly. I joined a men's basketball league, so would hate to miss any games because of it.

Previously I shared my cottage cheese dessert concoction that the kids even liked - essentially cottage cheese with PB&J mixed in and optional berries...or in the case of my kids, add some chocolate chips. I've got a new one that I just started trying that is amazing. Basically call it Protein Pudding for lack of any creativity on my part but it is basically Plain Greek Yogurt mixed with Protein Powder. I'm sure there are countless other recipes, but so far I have tried the Yogurt with a Birthday Cake flavored protein powder (surprisingly good and the kids even liked it), with chocolate protein powder (once stirred in very similar consistency to chocolate pudding) and then, when trying to get fats into my diet, I have tried it with the chocolate protein powder and peanut butter... to die for. Good way to get a lot of high quality protein and healthy fats into the diet.

Have tried a number of arctic zero flavors now. The only one I can recommend is the chocolate cherry, which has chunks of both in it.

The others that I thought would have something in them were just the flavor. It really needs something more than just the flavored frozen ice milk or whatever it is.

After being on the road for over a month, my lifting routine suffered, and my diet suffered worse.  The for some radical measures.

Tomorrow I start back up on the potato hack, but this time while I continue my PHUL lifting routine, and I will rotate in protein shakes for breakfast (probably just on lifting days or weekdays). 

The Super Spud Hack ? 

FULL OTIS

Alrighty.   Need to get active again.  Travel, allergies, injury and my gym going insolvent all convenient excuses.  

23 Oktober:  239 lbs  34.9%

Want to get under 200, 185 would be ideal.  

ok brohans fall is here lets kick this in the goat butt and drop 10 in the next two weeks burn more than you consume every day and lets do this thing take that to the bank 

Also beginning to have some bad habits creep in after dropping the first fifty.  If we're doing another contest/accountability thing, I'm in. 
Now is definitely the time to be addressing this - not necessarily you, but anyone else reading this.  Some have already gone off the rails and the rest will over the next 2 months.

your danged straight lets get this train back on the tracks and make some gains heading in to the holiday candy too much food season start it today and lets kick this hoochacha in the rear and get r dun take that to the bank brohans 

Everyone I've talked to that has done it has said the same thing - something different was probably good for the short term, I feel better now, but I often didn't feel great during, and it is not sustainable.  
Don't think it's ever been meant to be sustainable.  The goal is always to integrate things back in and only eliminate the stuff that causes problems again.

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28: 290 lbs
July 6:   277.4 lbs
July 10: 274.0 lbs
July 14: 270.0 lbs
July 19: 266.8 lbs
July 23: 261.7 lbs
Aug 1: 261.2 lbs
Aug 7: 254.6 lbs
Aug 13: 250.0 lbs
Aug 21: 244.8 lbs
Aug 30: 244.8 lbs
Sep 5:  244.0 lbs
Sep 11: 242.8 lbs
Sep 18: 237.0 lbs
Sep 25: 236.6 lbs
Oct 3: 235.8 lbs
Oct 17: 239.0 lbs
Oct 23: 236.6 lbs

Total weight loss:  53.4 lbs
Moving the right direction again.

Everyone I've talked to that has done it has said the same thing - something different was probably good for the short term, I feel better now, but I often didn't feel great during, and it is not sustainable.  
Yeah my goal was basically to hit the reset button on my eating habits. Been doing too much sugar, pasta and processed food since we had kids because that stuff is so quick and easy. Not planning to go paleo or something, just hoping to get back to "normal" once I'm done. I'm the kind of person who needs a goal-oriented plan to make a change.

The big test will come when I smoke weed.  I figure I should do it a couple times during the 30 days so I can hopefully adjust my munchie habits in addition to my normal daytime habits.

Yeah my goal was basically to hit the reset button on my eating habits. Been doing too much sugar, pasta and processed food since we had kids because that stuff is so quick and easy. Not planning to go paleo or something, just hoping to get back to "normal" once I'm done. I'm the kind of person who needs a goal-oriented plan to make a change.

The big test will come when I smoke weed.  I figure I should do it a couple times during the 30 days so I can hopefully adjust my munchie habits in addition to my normal daytime habits.
If you're going to smoke trees then, yes, you absolutely need to do it while on whole 30.  Have to teach your body what you'll feed it while high.  If you don't then prior instincts will win post diet.  Still may, but you're better set up for success if you do.

My biggest dietary obstacle is food decisions while drinking.  I tried to improve and after repeated failure came to terms that I'm just going to make bad decisions when I drink.  So I significantly cut back how often I drink.  So much so that I just had to look out my calendar to get a better idea how often I have the last few months.  And whenever I do drink I schedule a couple of challenging workouts prior, nothing strenuous for a couple days after, then say #### it and eat all the food.  

If you're going to smoke trees then, yes, you absolutely need to do it while on whole 30.  Have to teach your body what you'll feed it while high.  If you don't then prior instincts will win post diet.  Still may, but you're better set up for success if you do.

My biggest dietary obstacle is food decisions while drinking.  I tried to improve and after repeated failure came to terms that I'm just going to make bad decisions when I drink.  So I significantly cut back how often I drink.  So much so that I just had to look out my calendar to get a better idea how often I have the last few months.  And whenever I do drink I schedule a couple of challenging workouts prior, nothing strenuous for a couple days after, then say #### it and eat all the food.  
Your drinking obstacle is identical to my smoking obstacle.  I'm gonna try to convert to healthy munching like apple chips and grapes and whatnot during the whole30, but my guess is I'll have to go the same route as you eventually- cut back a bunch and also adjust my workout plan to account for a binge or two every so often. 

Your drinking obstacle is identical to my smoking obstacle.  I'm gonna try to convert to healthy munching like apple chips and grapes and whatnot during the whole30, but my guess is I'll have to go the same route as you eventually- cut back a bunch and also adjust my workout plan to account for a binge or two every so often. 
Yeah, in most people's cases it's really just about identifying your weaknesses/vices/time management issues and how you'll combat them.  Ultimately, have to sacrifice something though.

Yes, most people gain weight between the end of October and the end of December.  Especially those that lost weight since the previous December.
Makes sense.  I think I gained 5 pounds in Nov and Dec last year while losing a few pounds of muscle in the process.  It is so easy to eat too much of the wrong foods this time of year and not find time for physical activity.  That is not happening this year.  We are going to go into 2018 on the right track. 

Yes, most people gain weight between the end of October and the end of December.  Especially those that lost weight since the previous December.
Makes sense.  I think I gained 5 pounds in Nov and Dec last year while losing a few pounds of muscle in the process.  It is so easy to eat too much of the wrong foods this time of year and not find time for physical activity.  That is not happening this year.  We are going to go into 2018 on the right track. 
:hifive:

DocHolliday said:
Yeah, I gotta stop munching late at night watching sports.  NFL starts at 7pm and lifelong habits like mowing thru a bag of chips while watching don't die hard.

:lmao:

It's been years of the same crap from ol' Oats. This yoyo hype-fail shtick applies to everything he does. Unwilling to make the necessary long-term lifestyle changes, and instead going "all-in" on a short term fix that ends up being worse than where he started is his thing
Otis is actually doing pretty well. While I slipped a littte with a month of business travel (Gb the guy who doesn’t slip under those circumstances), I’m home now and was back at the gym at 5am today. Also started the FULL OATS diet, which means:

- Lift

- Protein and creatine shake for breakfast following workout, followed by coffee 

- Coffee during the day at work 

- Potatoes for dinner 

- Multivitamin before bed

This is basically 6 months now of lifting. Have stuck with it well whenever I’m home; it’s tougher in hotels, but I’ve tried. 

Also didn’t drink any alcohol today. Honestly the first day since I can remember where I didn’t have at least one drink. Or one bottle of wine. :bag:  ? 

Users who are viewing this thread