What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

Let's hear those New Year's Resolutions, boys.

Me?  Today will be the last day with booze and carbs for a while.  Back to keto and healthy livin'.  Wanna drop 25lbs before summer.  Time to get after it.
In! :excited:

Just ate some pancakes. Gonna booze it up on the course today then having lasagna and wine tonight. Will weigh in tomorrow morning. 

I’m in. I’m gonna focus on all the things Maurile listed in his new years thread. dude just always seems to hit the button on stuff that makes sense.

Streamline diet, so i just put fuel in the machine. I’ll try his super stew after fasting a couple days, and then tweak it to fit my needs.

Movement- im starting the flexibility warm-up culdeus posted above, and just going to start doing the 100 push-up challenge, and pull-ups and walking.

sleep: my work hours on graveyard shift throw my schedule out of whack, and make me sleep deprived for days and then sleep away a whole day after a work stretch. Gonna practice some sleep hygiene, unplug from electronics, cut back on coffee and read more paper books.

meditation: Great stress relief, good way to stay centered and not sweat the small stuff.

join the human race again: i am a hermit. I am very happy with limited contact with people. Been depressed lately, so i want to join the human race again. Thinking about different volunteer things i can do- there’s plenty of worthwhile causes right here in my backyard. My short-term goal is to pick someplace in the next month and donate 2-4 hours per week, to start. I love to cook, so im thinking meals on wheels or a shelter.

actually budget time to spend with my family. My wife and my kids get blocks of time budgeted where i turn off whatever im doing and just give them my undivided attention. Make sure i schedule date night with the wife and one-on-one time with each kid.

professional- Start working toward an advanced degree, or cross-train in a different specialty. I’m thinking post-op recovery, with maybe an eye towards CRNA school. 

Weighed in this morning at 281.

January I'll be focusing on eating better and cardio in preparation for surgery scheduled for 1/31/18.  I'm having colon and kidney surgery done at Penn to address issues identified during my colonoscopy and subsequent testing.

The combined surgeries will put me out of commission for 4-6 weeks depending on whether both procedures can be done laparoscopically or open.  I'll reassess where I'm at after I recover from the surgery.

Weighed in this morning at 281.

January I'll be focusing on eating better and cardio in preparation for surgery scheduled for 1/31/18.  I'm having colon and kidney surgery done at Penn to address issues identified during my colonoscopy and subsequent testing.

The combined surgeries will put me out of commission for 4-6 weeks depending on whether both procedures can be done laparoscopically or open.  I'll reassess where I'm at after I recover from the surgery.
Good luck cheesey

So was 219 at one point.

Got down to 193

Weighed in at 208 a couple weeks ago.

Will weigh in tomorrow. I'm guessing is north of 210 : ?

Will check tomorrow for official numbers, but expecting about 185/15%. Racing April or May and would like to be 169/12%.

Going to steadily wean junk food until all the stuff I will eat is out of the house. Then will be very careful about what I add from there - hopefully just dark chocolate and popcorn/pretzels. Regardless, nothing from the pantry except for Costco nut and aussie bars before 8 pm. One small salty and sweet snack then.

One cheat meal per week as long as I progressed the previous week. In bed by 9 on all work days (unless night running) and before hard runs. Limited booze beginning now. No booze except for a couplefew on Easter after St Paddy's. 

Giddy up

In.

I didn't start 1/1, but I hit my highest ever 3/1 at 203.  After getting as low as 170, I weighed in at 180.5 this morning.  Back on Keto, hoping there is a contest round again so I can keep myself additionally motivated.

My wife just bought that unlimited online access to Beach Body workouts.  I would like to lift three times a week, and do two days of various Beach Body cardio workouts.  That is realistic and managable, but I'll probably fail on that by the end of week 1.  Diet should be pretty good though.  Goal is to get to 160 by summer.  That's my realistic bottom weight I can expect to hit.

Jan 2 - 189.8   

About 10 lbs higher than my low and 6 lbs higher than when I returned from Bahamas 3 weeks ago.  Going in on Jan 8 for some bloodwork so I hope to have decent baseline numbers to measure against.  Indoor soccer starts up next week so that should help - need to figure out how to move more but I am really feeling wimpy with the current temperatures.

Main keys are going to be:

• 45 minutes of activity a day
  • Intermittent fasting
  • No processed foods
  • Limited booze
Targets:

180 - Valentine's Day

175 - St Patrick's Day

170 - Memorial Day

Goals -

200 by Feb 1 - I know this is "extreme" but I know with the big first week. I need this as a motivator

190 by 3/1

180 4/1

So that is 34 pounds in 3 months.

LET'S DO THIS

Goals -

200 by Feb 1 - I know this is "extreme" but I know with the big first week. I need this as a motivator

190 by 3/1

180 4/1

So that is 34 pounds in 3 months.

LET'S DO THIS
Too fast. By 2x maybe 3x.

Nobody here is special. 80% failed. Another 80% of that 20% that held will fail this year.  All of this is within baseline expectations.  Establish why that might be and adjust. 

Here are the two options I feel you have to lose gobs of fat.

1) Just do keto r/keto has all the info.

--Keto seems to have superpowers that other isolation diets don't, in that it affords some ancillary benefits that we don't quite understand.  People seem to retain their weight loss longer, regardless of the amount, and tend to have better biomarkers for reasons again that aren't well understood.  

-Downside is that the diet itself is somewhat gross, hard to stick to unless you cook all your meals and society is dead set against it.  It's all or nothing, and for most "all" isn't practical.

-Benefit here is that exercise is not really required, outside of walking around and things like that.  There are reasons to think that strenuous exercise plans longer than 3-6 weeks are dangerous on a legit keto diet, but this is not really proven and may be a YMMV situation.

2) Stick to an intuitive dieting plan

-Cut out all leaky sources of sugar/carbs like sodas, juice, sugar containing crap and random sweets.  For many people that's all they need to do, period.

-Add back a #### ton of fiber from vegetables, mainly, be looking for ways to add fiber in all forms at every meal.  Grains are controversial, add grains sparingly, but don't make them the sole fiber source of any meal and you should be ok.

-Keep protein up, no matter what.  .6g/target weight is a minimum, but levels up to 2g/target weight is acceptable.  For women this can go to 3g/target weight.  

-Watch the scale or get a tape measure. Pick one.  Track this weekly, if not daily, if you wish tape over the scale number and have it ported to a wifi system that you don't see.  In an ideal world drop 1# a week for a year.  If the weight comes off too fast add back some healthy fats like avocados/nuts to slow the loss.  If weight loss stalls, and you haven't been hammering sugars (No really have you?) then consider doing a carb re-feed or similar meal to break the stall.

-I do personally feel like not having visibility into progress can be damaging, both for losing too quickly, and not being able to detect stalls.  However, this is personally something that can be adjusted person to person.  Tracking by calipers, or tape measure is just as good if not better.  

-Exercise should focus extensively (>75%) on legs and back.  Squats and deadlifts and all the variants should form the basis for the workout, whether this is with a kettlebell, dumbbell, bodyweight, or barbell it doesn't matter.  Legs drive testosterone, drive insulin, everything.  Hit legs hard 3x a week, hit back 2x a week.  If you want to throw chest and arms in, fine, but if over fat (and eating carbs) the legs have to be progressively overloaded to see sustainable long term fat loss results, period.    

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the two options I feel you have to lose gobs of fat.

1) Just do keto r/keto has all the info.

--Keto seems to have superpowers that other isolation diets don't, in that it affords some ancillary benefits that we don't quite understand.  People seem to retain their weight loss longer, regardless of the amount, and tend to have better biomarkers for reasons again that aren't well understood.  

-Downside is that the diet itself is somewhat gross, hard to stick to unless you cook all your meals and society is dead set against it.  It's all or nothing, and for most "all" isn't practical.
Lol wat?

Regardless of where I order, I ask for a lettuce wrap and to replace the fries with veggies. Not once have I had restaurant say no. I even order Manhattan's without the simple sugar. Not sure what you mean in this paragraph, but It's entirely wrong. 

On vacation, so no scale. But I was around 188, 17.8 bf last week at the gym. I want to maintain a consistent exersize program and get that bf down close to 15%. Good luck all. 

Lol wat?

Regardless of where I order, I ask for a lettuce wrap and to replace the fries with veggies. Not once have I had restaurant say no. I even order Manhattan's without the simple sugar. Not sure what you mean in this paragraph, but It's entirely wrong. 

Keto in the real world is sort of gross, it's not just getting a burger protein style with a salad.  You really need to get a lot of fat.  If this doesn't bother you, great, keep at it.  For a lot of people (Otis) pressure to conform is a strong pressure, if that gets to be too much people cave, and keto is something you have to stick to like it's a religion and have the mindset that you'll simply die if you fall out of ketosis.  

Keto in the real world is sort of gross, it's not just getting a burger protein style with a salad.  You really need to get a lot of fat.  If this doesn't bother you, great, keep at it. 

I've ordered turkey/chicken wraps(sliced and breast meat). I can get a lot of fat other ways, but saying that you're only relying on burgers is wrong. And it's not just a side salad, i almost always ask for steamed veggies, then if they don't have that then it's a salad. I'll order chicken or shrimp fajitas and hold the tortillas so you get great chicken/veggies cooked great and no bread. There's so much more keto food out there than people realize if they care to look. 

There's even a local mexican place that serves their chili verde omelette all day. :wub:  

I'm in again to see what progress I can make. The last two weeks have seen significant weight gain but no change in measured body fat. I attribute the weight gain to a few things beyond just eating holiday junk - re-incorporated more carbs back into the diet, healthier carbs meaning increased veggie consumption, had a few days eating buckwheat pancakes with eggs, etc. - intentionally added more calories and went away from intermittent fasting, after eating low calories for so long, I intentionally added in more calories and added in more breakfast/lunch eating and I added in creatine supplementation, which is known to cause some water gain initially. For the week between Christmas and New Years I also cut out all stimulants (no caffeine at all, etc.).

Not shocked by the weight gain, and I actually felt great by adding in the extra calories, etc. Had a lot more energy, was able to really push it in the gym, and even with the weight gain I was still able to dunk (just barely) so feel like the strength gains are still there.

Stat wise, I started tracking on April 16 and weighed in at 300.1 pounds and 32.9% bodyfat. I tried to weigh myself every Sunday morning to maintain consistency. At my lowest weight, which was on November 19, I weighed in at 236.9 and 20.8% bodyfat, but was more settled in to the 240-241 range which is where I weighed up through the week before Christmas. Then I started making the adjustments above, in addition to some extra holiday eating, and gained about 5 pounds a week, though no changes to the body fat measurement. On the morning of January 1st, 2018, I weighed in at 254.2 pounds and 21.4% bodyfat.

For 2018, my goal is to focus on the bodyfat percentage and less on the scale weight. I'd really like to get down to the 10-12% bodyfat range, so I'll really need to get the diet dialed in. I think if I focus on the bodyfat, the weight will drop. I'd put my target weight to be in the 220-225 range, which at 6'5", would be a good weight.

I turned 40 in August, and as others have noted, I think more flexibility training/yoga would be very good for me. I've had the DDP Yoga DVDs for a couple years but never cracked them open, so I'm adding that to the list of things I need to do in 2018. More and more I'm finding that a shoulder hurts, or my back is sore, etc., and I'm sure that a more regimented stretching/yoga program will help with those.

Summary:  2017 Progress - Lost 46 pounds and 11.5% from body fat - jeans went from a 40-42 inch waist to 36 with enough room that I may be in 34 soon. Two suits that I bought in February of 2017 do not fit at all (pants fall off, jacket is large), so will be taking them in to be tailored to fit better (right now have no events that require me to wear a suit until weddings I will be attending in June, so thinking I will hold off until April to take them in)

2018 Goal - Reduce body fat another 8-10% (no set weight goal, but should drop as this progresses), incorporate more yoga/flexibility training

Too fast. By 2x maybe 3x.

Nobody here is special. 80% failed. Another 80% of that 20% that held will fail this year.  All of this is within baseline expectations.  Establish why that might be and adjust. 
I know what to do.   I'm just lazy.  But thanks

I was a pretty solid specimen all through college and right after :)

I'm pretty sure I cut out soda and late night candy I'll drop 10 almost instantly :bag:

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28:  290 lbs
July 6:     277.4 lbs
July 10:   274.0 lbs
July 14:   270.0 lbs
July 19:   266.8 lbs
July 23:   261.7 lbs
Aug 1:     261.2 lbs
Aug 7:     254.6 lbs
Aug 13:   250.0 lbs
Aug 21:   244.8 lbs
Aug 30:   244.8 lbs
Sep 5:     244.0 lbs
Sep 11:   242.8 lbs
Sep 18:   237.0 lbs
Sep 25:   236.6 lbs
Oct 3:      235.8 lbs
Oct 17:    239.0 lbs
Oct 23:    236.6 lbs
Nov 3:     234.6 lbs
Nov 9:     230.8 lbs
Dec 1:     230.8 lbs
Dec 6:     227.2 lbs
Jan 2:      230.8 lbs

Total weight loss:  59.2 lbs
Decently happy with how I came through the holiday months with pretty much no net gain. As low as 226 at one point, but mostly bounced between 228 and 231. Let myself enjoy the holidays but tried to moderate it, and a few stretches of stricter dieting when needed.

Still have some New Years food to go through (in moderation!), but plan to get back to the strict diet after that, end of this week or so. 

Here we go. I feel like I'm at a crossroads - if I don't get my $h!t together soon I'll stumble into old age with a lot of regrets. 

Pretty much the same starting point as last year. Weight today = 215; target weight = 180. This entails losing 45 pounds of fat and adding 10 pounds of muscle (bodyfat% from 28% to 8%). Sounds extreme I know, but I've made up my mind. This should also yield about about a 9 or 10 inch reduction of the waist.

I won't bother to detail what I eat each day, but I hope to frequently drop "zero grams" markers in this thread for my daily empty calorie intake (bread, pasta, sugar, chips, and fries). Rice and roasted potatoes are good carbs in my world.

JAN 02: 0 grams of empty carbs.

Started last year at 224.

Starting this year at 215 as of 1/3/17

No specific weight goal this year other than to get below 200 by summer. My real goal is to run a 24 minute 5K by December. I want to run in this year's local Christmas 5K with my sons. I ran it this year at 38 minutes. My 11 and 9 year old sons both broke 29 with almost no effort. I plan to train with them. Besides my running I plan to do 30 minutes of Yoga on the off days. All off days. Also, kids just got a new trampoline, plan to work that in as well. Will do some body weight exercises daily to increase strength some. 

Last year I gave up sugar successfully. This year is phase two. Get back in shape. My plan is  not flashy but will get the job done.

Whoa!! Water weight loss is awesome. Weighed 208 today (-7).

Cheating with some habanero-infused ale tonight while prepping Sunday meal- Coq au Vin, glazed beets, and fried polenta. 

For a moment, I'm awesome.

I know we don't have an official competition going on, but I'm going to track my march towards 160 for (hopefully) Memorial Day weekend:

1/1 Starting Weight - 180.5
Last Week Weight - 180.5
Current Weight - 177.5
Week Loss - 3.0
Total Loss Since 1/1 - 3.0
Total % Loss - 1.7%

March 17 (All time high) - 203
Current Weight - 177.5
Total Loss - 25.5
Total % Loss - 12.6%

First week back on Keto.  Should have been more, but cheated this weekend already.  I have found it is tough to stay on track on the weekend when it is so cold, and I am spending all weekend either in the house, or in a gym for basketball.  Unfortunately that is my life through mid March.

Week 1 Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 213.3
Current Weight: 208.8
Last Week: 213.3
Week Lost: 4.5 lbs
Total Lost: 4.5 lbs

Overall Starting Weight: 237.5  (start of 2017)
Current Weight: 208.8
Total Lost: 28.7 lbs

I'm not surprised with the winter/holiday weight gain - it's a pattern for me every year.  But I really felt I was prepared to limit the damage.  Had a very stressful last 3 months which I know contributed - but it's just an excuse.  Back at it now though so let's do this.

Was going to weigh myself again this morning to setup a Tuesday cycle but forgot.  I will go with the 224 from yesterday for a small gain week one.

I did do 2 of the 3 line grabbers with the 5th grade basketball team last night. #stopeatingsomuch

In! :excited:

Just ate some pancakes. Gonna booze it up on the course today then having lasagna and wine tonight. Will weigh in tomorrow morning. 
Have been pretty healthy the last week.  Boozed it up on the golf course over the weekend, but really cut down the carbs overall.  Unfortunately, I just caught the cold that's going around, so probably won't be working out much this week. 

I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Updates:

Jan 9:      228.8 lbs

Total weight loss:  61.2 lbs
Good week.  Finished off the New Years food in moderation and still lost 2 pounds.   

Updates:

Jan 9:      228.8 lbs
Jan 15:    226.0 lbs

Total weight loss:  64.0 lbs
Great week other than some overeating on Saturday during the games.

I tried making grilled cheese with Cutouts 5 Grain Flax flatbread. Was more like a cheese quesadilla. Made an awesome pork tenderloin, used the grilled cheese for fat to sate my hunger so I wouldn't overeat the loin.

Even better, made a little mini-pizza thing with a Cutout as the pizza crust. 2 minutes at 375 with the flatbread by itself, then sauce/season/cheese it and back in for 6 minutes. Both times extremely filling and killed all cravings.

Need to figure total calories next time I make it (later edit: weighed stuff it's 184 calories). Flatbread is 90 calories, and only 8g of non-fiber carbs (and 7g of fiber) so extremely diabetic friendly. This is definitely going in the rotation as a cravings killer from now on.

Was going to weigh myself again this morning to setup a Tuesday cycle but forgot.  I will go with the 224 from yesterday for a small gain week one.

I did do 2 of the 3 line grabbers with the 5th grade basketball team last night. #stopeatingsomuch
Is this thread still a thing for any other than @GregR?  Either way it needs more @Otis.  Is it like Mayhem and people have giving up on new year's resolutions already?

Back to 222.4.  If I could only continue the downward trend.  I know what to do, just need to find a way to enact it and not splurge and eat the whole bag of chips much less continue to buy any type of chips.

Is this thread still a thing for any other than @GregR?  Either way it needs more @Otis.  Is it like Mayhem and people have giving up on new year's resolutions already?

Back to 222.4.  If I could only continue the downward trend.  I know what to do, just need to find a way to enact it and not splurge and eat the whole bag of chips much less continue to buy any type of chips.
I have to admit, the lack of competition hasn't helped my motivation.

I stayed steady this week at 177.5, same as last week, down 3.0 from Jan 1.  I wasn't motivated last week, work was pretty stressful.  My wife started a new program, so I felt like crap eating a bunch of junk in front of her yesterday due to lack of motivation.  Need to be a better partner, so hopefully things improve here on out.

Eating healthy, back in the gym after a week away with the family getting trashed and eating whatever was in front of me.  It's weird, but I suddenly can't sleep -- going to bed without being drunk or overfed is leaving me with a bunch of nervous energy.  Fighting through it, looking forward to seeing the other side.

Eating healthy, back in the gym after a week away with the family getting trashed and eating whatever was in front of me.  It's weird, but I suddenly can't sleep -- going to bed without being drunk or overfed is leaving me with a bunch of nervous energy.  Fighting through it, looking forward to seeing the other side.
Do you do any cardio?  30 minutes on an elliptical with about a 180 cadence makes me sleep like a baby.

forgot to weigh in.  It wasn't great week food wise but I'm back to lifting 2 nights a week and some cardio 1-2 nights a week.

Hey dudes and ladies, I'm probably in the minority here, but FBG time is distracting me from reaching my goals, as is Twitter. I spend at least an hour a day reading mostly BS; some days, two or three hours - all for the sole purpose of riling my bones, it seems. I'm gonna check out for a year and chart a new course.

Love you all. See you next year.

:cocoon:

Hey dudes and ladies, I'm probably in the minority here, but FBG time is distracting me from reaching my goals, as is Twitter. I spend at least an hour a day reading mostly BS; some days, two or three hours - all for the sole purpose of riling my bones, it seems. I'm gonna check out for a year and chart a new course.

Love you all. See you next year.

:cocoon:
See you tomorrow 

Users who are viewing this thread