What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

I never did reach 199.  Hit 203 several times and each time I started having the worst cravings and finally just settled on staying where I was.

I stayed within 205-215  for a few months. Then my energy dropped away to the point it was clear something was wrong.  Short version, I take a supplement for an under-active thyroid and all the weight loss finally caught up with it and the dosage that hadn't changed in 15 years was way too high for my new weight.  Put on 15 pounds during that stretch. Still trying to dial in the right dosage but I feel much better since it changed and haven't put on any more weight.

So I've got about 25 to lose again, but am still 60 pounds below where I started.  I might do some dieting in early December, but more likely I'm just going to focus on maintaining during the holidays and then get back to it in January.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still fat. Or rather still the same weight. Slightly better distribution of that weight as a result of my going to the gym, but my continued (excess) drinking of late has kept me in a bad spot. 

It’s time to get serious, and what better time than right after thanksgiving weekend. 

Who’s coming with me??

Still fat. Or rather still the same weight. Slightly better distribution of that weight as a result of my going to the gym, but my continued (excess) drinking of late has kept me in a bad spot. 

It’s time to get serious, and what better time than right after thanksgiving weekend. 

Who’s coming with me??
Are you doing the Pelaton workouts when your wife isn't using it?

My Jan 2, 2017 weigh-in -

5'11"

I don't think I did a 2016 weigh-in but ~240 is the heaviest I've ever been (and been there a few times).  Today I'm 185 but I've yo-yo'd in the last 23 months so not sure what, if anything, that tells you.  I know you've mentioned before that you need about 2 years to acclimate to a big weight change - is that something you can link to?  I'd be curious to read/watch.  I sat in on a talk at my work with a Dr. and it was about "set point" - I'm assuming it's basically what you are referring to?  Is there any way for them to measure set point or is it still just mostly theory?
I'm remote right now but a landmark study just came out on this topic. I need to review it.

Otis said:

Who’s coming with me??
Sure why not. 

Gonna try intermittent fasting with carbs at only one meal. 

Otis said:

Who’s coming with me??
:D

Haven't looked at a scale but have been off red meat, white flour, sugar and processed foods since labor day.  Mostly to get my blood work, especially cholesterol, back on track.  Wasn't trending the right way.  Also tried to limit the drinking, especially red wine, because of the sugar.  Wasn't perfect on that front.  Definitely lost weight.  A guy on me team did keto religiously along with getting a Peloton bike and shedded tons.  Lean now.  May go that route.  

Haven't looked at a scale but have been off red meat, white flour, sugar and processed foods since labor day.  Mostly to get my blood work, especially cholesterol, back on track.  Wasn't trending the right way.  Also tried to limit the drinking, especially red wine, because of the sugar.  Wasn't perfect on that front.  Definitely lost weight.  A guy on me team did keto religiously along with getting a Peloton bike and shedded tons.  Lean now.  May go that route.  
I've met almost no one that Keto doesn't work for - I'd say the two problems that I have with it right now are:

1. People tend to eat "bad" Keto - I'm pretty sure almost everyone agrees that eating bacon for breakfast and hotdogs for lunch frequently isn't a great idea

2. My introduction to more carbs almost always go poorly for me.  Either when I'm "off a diet" or on vacation or after our competitions.

Note - both of these aren't the fault of the diet but rather with me - just something I need to figure out.  I think the answer is to eat Keto like 95% of the time and the other 5% don't give a #### and eat whatever you want (just a rough estimate).  

Otis said:

Who’s coming with me??
I'll take your lack of will power and self control for the next 6 weeks. You go sober and eat like a weight training rabbit. 

I'll be in again after the holidays...

Still at  230... Lowest I got was  218 and have maintained <230 for over a year now after starting at 298. The yoga has dropped off and my back can tell...need that routine back in my life. 

I've met almost no one that Keto doesn't work for - I'd say the two problems that I have with it right now are:

1. People tend to eat "bad" Keto - I'm pretty sure almost everyone agrees that eating bacon for breakfast and hotdogs for lunch frequently isn't a great idea

2. My introduction to more carbs almost always go poorly for me.  Either when I'm "off a diet" or on vacation or after our competitions.

Note - both of these aren't the fault of the diet but rather with me - just something I need to figure out.  I think the answer is to eat Keto like 95% of the time and the other 5% don't give a #### and eat whatever you want (just a rough estimate).  
Well I know all of that processed stuff is terrible for you so I never want to go back to that stuff as a staple.  Even if it does result in weight loss. So maybe I need a modified plan

Well I know all of that processed stuff is terrible for you so I never want to go back to that stuff as a staple.  Even if it does result in weight loss. So maybe I need a modified plan
Just to clarify - nobody is saying that you should eat hotdogs on Keto but it is allowed (basically).  I think some folks (which includes myself at times) will eat unhealthy stuff on Keto because it's easy/convenient.  But years ago I was eating horribly anyway so it was still an improvement and I lost weight doing it.  I'm trying to eat a cleaner Keto now.

I've finally gotten serious the last two months and have been watching the booze, eating better, and hitting the weights again.  If I keep this up I should start my 51st year looking pretty decent and well set up for a great spring/summer.

Those are all big Ifs doh.   Good luck to everyone out there. 

@Otis

We doing this? If so, I'm tossing the Thanksgiving leftovers and getting on the horse (for the 25th time) tomorrow.  Let me know and I'll weigh in tomorrow morning. 

Current general plan: 

1. Wake up and do something quickly to raise the heart rate for at least ten minutes. Be that go for a run (ideal but not likely possible most days), stationary bike, have sex, etc. 

2. Doing a 16 hour intermittent fast.  Likely eating from noon to 8:00 PM.  So, mornings will be just a cup of coffee or two. 

3. Lunch - ideally will be my biggest meal and I'll permit sensible carbs.  I do a lot of work lunches so this will not hinder that.  Plus, I'm trying to learn from my inability to stick with low carb all the time. So, lunch can be my most caloric meal and I can get maybe rice noodles with my dish or whatever. 

4.  Dinner - trying to not snack and dinner will always be a protein and a vegetable.  If I'm craving sugar I'll have an apple for dessert. Maybe some Halo Top if things go well. Must stop eating by 8:00. 

5. Alcohol - Absolutely no alcohol M-Th.  Will try to seriously reduce my intake on the weekend but will permit myself to have some wife with dinner Friday with my wife and then some drinks on the course or with football one of the other weekend days.  

6. Yoga - have an appointment to incorporate yoga.  I put my crossfit membership on hold because I wasn't going enough and it makes me too hungry afterwards.  Will try to at least run or do a yoga class 5 days per week.  Weekends will be golf or softball tournaments for the foreseeable future. 

23.5%

That weight is high. A lot of thanksgiving bloat in there I’m sure. But I’ll take it as a starting weight. 

Woz starting weight = 242.6 :bag:  

There should be a lot of Thanksgiving bloat in there as that’s the heaviest I’ve been all year. So this is timely. 

Parameters? Stakes? 

I think the one we did last time was first to lose thirty then keep it there for a week. 

Good god I can’t stop thinking about the number I saw on the scale this morning. I was a huge glutton this past week but damn. 

$100 to the winner’s chosen charity Otis? 

Good god I can’t stop thinking about the number I saw on the scale this morning. I was a huge glutton this past week but damn. 

$100 to the winner’s chosen charity Otis? 
Sure, why not.

When does this end?  Winner determined by total weight lost, since we're basically at the same weight?

Sure, why not.

When does this end?  Winner determined by total weight lost, since we're basically at the same weight?
Yeah I think that's fair.  

First to a number? Most lost by a certain date? I got way too overboard last time with setting rules so I'm good with you calling it. 

Current general plan: 

1. Wake up and do something quickly to raise the heart rate for at least ten minutes. Be that go for a run (ideal but not likely possible most days), stationary bike, have sex, etc. . 

So bike for 8 minutes? ;)  

i know I’m not one of the ‘contenders’ but I’ve maintained myself at 185 and around 16% bf. 

if I eliminated booze, I would drop below 180 and 15%. 

BACK IN.

While I ended the year the same weight I started the year - i yo yo up and down all year.

Lose 15 gain 15 lose 10 gain 12.

I'm starting to really feel it.

I need to lose exactly 30 pounds and keep it off to stay happy :)

22%

after a normal 24hrs of eating that actually included a restaurant client meal and some drinks, and then the gym this morning. Hoo rah 

Got big (read: small) plans for myself. If I quit posting in here, assume I'm off the wagon.

GOALS: Do something that benefits my health every day. Make better nutritional choices. Share my progress at the very least weekly.

Let's see how well I do with that.
Do this GB. 

i hope that you both win and get super healthy and honestly do it for your family and kids take that to the bank bromigos 
Second that.  Just move more and eat less.  But, the crazy diets are enjoyable to watch. 

No matter what happens, we will all be entertained. 

I think I lost 10 pounds during the last contest but have gained 5 back.  I am going to lose some weight at a slow and steady pace to be ready for Summer.  My workouts have been good in 2018 until the last month so those will be ratcheted back up as part of my get-healthy plan. 

I'd rather not be entertained.  I'd rather you guys actually address your blind spots and do something sustainable.

Today’s weight = 239.2. 

Yesterday was a nice start. Didn’t do my ten minutes but fasted until lunch. An associate asked me to go to lunch to help prep for a trial and opted for Chinese so unfortunately lunch was a giant salt bomb but for dinner I limited it to a quest bar and some jerky. Couple of softball games at night and resisted the pre-bed cravings. 

I'd rather not be entertained.  I'd rather you guys actually address your blind spots and do something sustainable.
To be clear, I too want everyone to get healthy and stay healthy.  And, slow and steady with some sustainable life choices is the way to go that many of us have discussed for years.  But, that is not how some folks are wired and we are typically entertained with their antics. 

To be clear, I too want everyone to get healthy and stay healthy.  And, slow and steady with some sustainable life choices is the way to go that many of us have discussed for years.  But, that is not how some folks are wired and we are typically entertained with their antics. 
And there's a reason those people eventually end up where they started or worse.  

I need to read some of the newer literature closer. There are some really interesting meta type studies out now that are attempting to deal with the HCLF/LCHF/Keto/IF diets as a long term model.  The gaps in these are often self-reported and non-disciplined data reporting from the people in the study.  Some of this is starting to use people's fitness trackers as well.

I think a few bits of wisdom is starting to stand out, some surprising to me.

• Dropping fat can be accomplished evenly by virtually any calorie cutting method.  (not all that shocking, but level set here)
  • The gain muscle/lose fat dual effect is actually easier to accomplish than previously imagined.  Especially in 20-40yo males.
  • Maintaining fat loss and post fat loss metabolism requires more calorie restriction than the initial loss.

This effect is lessened in those on low carb diets.  
  • You can start on low fat/low calorie diet and transition to low carb for maintenance and have same result.

[*]Nobody has proven any exercise superior to resistance training for maintenance.  And it really isn't close.

In this way it seems like the worst thing you can do from a yo-yo perspective is go low carb, then relax that restriction at maintenance.  It's entirely possible that for 2-10 years of maintenance that possibly inverting this could yield long term better results.

TLDR: What is being seen is those that go CICO for 1+year, then hit a plateau, try low carb and resistance training break the mold and keep their form.

In this way it seems like the worst thing you can do from a yo-yo perspective is go low carb, then relax that restriction at maintenance.  It's entirely possible that for 2-10 years of maintenance that possibly inverting this could yield long term better results.

TLDR: What is being seen is those that go CICO for 1+year, then hit a plateau, try low carb and resistance training break the mold and keep their form.
Just making sure I understand - you are basically saying low carb may be better for maintenance than it is for weight loss?

I’ve said before that the maintenance side has always been the part I struggle with.  Due to several factors I plan to stay lower carb this time around while ramping up my exercise - would you recommend staying at my current carb levels indefinitely?  

Successful day today. Fasted until 1:00 PM then had 4 street tacos that were just meat, seasoning, and soft tortillas.  Ran 5 miles after work and for dinner I had salmon, asparagus, a perfect bar, and an apple.  Stopped eating right at 8:00 PM and won't consume any calories until at least noon tomorrow. 

Currently in my recliner doing some work and, normally, I'd be eating popcorn and drinking wine or whatever.  So far resisting the urge.  This is the hardest part of it for me. 

Ate some garbage last night and drank some wine. Needed to blow off steam. Going no booze today (maybe my secret weapon, Bud Select 55, it’s like flavored water and makes you feel like you’re drinking beer...). 

23%

Users who are viewing this thread