What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

Been reading these posts for a while now and thought I would share a little bit. 

My son and I started on our weight loss near the end of June. The thing we agreed on in the beginning was to avoid pizza. This was major for us as football season meant Red Zone and pizza all day Sunday. Other than that, we differ on our approach. He's more concerned with calories and fat, and I worry more about bad fats, sugar and carbs. An example for this differing approach shows up when we go out for breakfast on the weekends. He'll have toast & egg whites, while I avoid bread and have whole eggs.

One thing I do most weekdays is the intermittent fasting, 8p to noon. Sometimes, I extend my fast or just have a spoon or 2 of coconut oil to last me until 6p or later.

We're having some success. Both down about 15% of bodyweight and on track to go below the obese BMI range about a year from our start. He started at 6'1", 357. I started at 5'6", 287.

Looking forward to a better me.

Good luck all!

Been reading these posts for a while now and thought I would share a little bit. 

My son and I started on our weight loss near the end of June. The thing we agreed on in the beginning was to avoid pizza. This was major for us as football season meant Red Zone and pizza all day Sunday. Other than that, we differ on our approach. He's more concerned with calories and fat, and I worry more about bad fats, sugar and carbs. An example for this differing approach shows up when we go out for breakfast on the weekends. He'll have toast & egg whites, while I avoid bread and have whole eggs.

One thing I do most weekdays is the intermittent fasting, 8p to noon. Sometimes, I extend my fast or just have a spoon or 2 of coconut oil to last me until 6p or later.

We're having some success. Both down about 15% of bodyweight and on track to go below the obese BMI range about a year from our start. He started at 6'1", 357. I started at 5'6", 287.

Looking forward to a better me.

Good luck all!
great days. 

Hmmm had a decent day yesterday (ate more calories than idea but stayed without my fasting window and ran 4 miles after work) but only 236.0 this morning.  I'm assuming I've now shed the water weight/bloat from last week.  

Otis said:
Up another pound somehow this morning.  This is bull####.  Can’t someone just develop a pill?
I had a stripper client offer to bring me back some magical diet pill from Mexico. 🤷‍♂️

Didn’t work out yesterday and, while eating wasn’t bad and I stayed within the fasting window, I did have two drinks. I guess I’ll take it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Some softball buddies do this. Unfortunately my livelihood depends on me having a normal and calm disposition. 
In all reality if you get an EKG from your Dr. and it's clean and your blood pressure isn't out of control it's a relatively safe combo.  Safer than bariatric surgery from a fatality perspective.  

Most "Med Spas" just give you this and have you come in for blood pressure checks, and blood work weekly.  

Maybe I should at some point just accept that it's ok to haul an extra 20lbs around with you everywhere you go for the rest of your life?

Maybe I should at some point just accept that it's ok to haul an extra 20lbs around with you everywhere you go for the rest of your life?
It'll likely lead to some issues later in life that you wouldn't otherwise, but in order to get rid of it and keep it off you have to make sustainable adjustments and/or sacrifices.  You've never done either of those things.  So until you decide that you will it is kinda pointless to sporadically rotate in full bale, spuds, peloton, etc.  Any progress will just be undone the next time you work travel.

It'll likely lead to some issues later in life that you wouldn't otherwise, but in order to get rid of it and keep it off you have to make sustainable adjustments and/or sacrifices.  You've never done either of those things.  So until you decide that you will it is kinda pointless to sporadically rotate in full bale, spuds, peloton, etc.  Any progress will just be undone the next time you work travel.
:kicksrock:

Youre rich - just hire even fatter people to always be around you to make yourself look fit in comparison.

Did yoga for the first time today. It was a medium intensity restorative type thing. It wasn’t terribly interesting, I didn’t feel like I did much other than some good stretching, and I didn’t even stretch. But I feel like a million bucks right now. 

235.6.  I had a golf tournament Saturday so that day was filled with copious amounts of alcohol and calories but I cleaned it up yesterday and stayed dry and maybe only had 1500 calories (it helped that I caught my kid's cold so my appetite was pretty weak yesterday). 

Good first week.  Week one loss total = 7.0 lbs. 

235.6.  I had a golf tournament Saturday so that day was filled with copious amounts of alcohol and calories but I cleaned it up yesterday and stayed dry and maybe only had 1500 calories (it helped that I caught my kid's cold so my appetite was pretty weak yesterday). 

Good first week.  Week one loss total = 7.0 lbs. 
Jeez.  Nice.

I'm having a so-so week.  Still have been drinking--so hard to give that part up--and have been eating not great, though did much better yesterday.  Still going to the gym on schedule.  Today is a new day, and if I drink at all, i'm reverting to my 55 calorie Bud Selects; in the meantime, going to eat well.

Really want to make a run of this in the next 6 weeks.  Time to saddle up.

Had a bit of a celebration yesterday and I've been sick all week so still at 235.6 as of this morning. 

I haven't read this thread, so forgive me if this is repeat information.  But I've lost 25 lbs since Sep 21 and I thought I'd share how I did it in case it helps someone.  I use Lose It - a calorie counting app.  You log into the app everything that you eat/drink, and it'll count your calories.  If you stay under your calorie budget for the day (which is determined by the app based on your sex, age, current weight, goal weight, and how fast you want to achieve your goal weight), over time you will lose weight.  You can eat whatever you want, so long as you stay under your calorie budget.  Note:  I was (am) totally focused on weight loss (burn more calories than I eat/drink each day), not on nutrition.   Carbs, fat, salt, protein - I don't track any of that - just calories.  If you pay the for the premium version of the app, you can also track nutrition, but I don't do that.

I ended up finding about 10 meals that are tasty, filling and low calorie, and I repeat those meals often.  If you exercise, you also log that into the app and it gives you a calorie credit (for what you burned exercising), so you can consume more calories that day.  For those that are even moderately tech savvy, using the app is easy.  And just the practice of logging every single thing you eat/drink (and knowing how many calories you're consuming) makes you aware of where you can cut calories and helps you eat better.

The app is free.  There's also similar apps out there - My Fitness Pal is another.  It's sometimes a pain in the ### to calculate calories for some meals - especially restaurant meals that include many ingredients, sauces, etc. - but you can get pretty close if you know the ingredients.  Also, getting a kitchen scale to weigh food really helps, because measuring calories in food by weight is the most accurate method.

Good luck to you all.

guys come on get it back on track power through this weekend get some cardio in evrery day eat right and avoid booze and pizza for a weekend and start monday lower than you are today you got this take that to the bank bromigos 

guys come on get it back on track power through this weekend get some cardio in evrery day eat right and avoid booze and pizza for a weekend and start monday lower than you are today you got this take that to the bank bromigos 
Currently under the weather but I actually do have a healthy weekend planned with cardio and little to no alcohol.  

Week 2! Slowly building a diet regimen here. It is honestly much tougher to just make better choices than to follow a strict plan like keto. I think it will pay off in the long run.

Currently under the weather but I actually do have a healthy weekend planned with cardio and little to no alcohol.  
Amen.  Have a nasty head cold I got from one of the kids, slept like crap, still got to the gym at 5am for my usual routine.  Wasn't easy, was plenty of room to make excuses today.  

Weight still stuck around 235.  I ate a bunch of chili last night, but it was mostly lean meats and vegetables.  Had two Bud Select 55s for a whopping 110 calories.  Not sure why I'm not making any downward progress, but part of me wonders whether it could be that I picked back up with lifting again after almost a month off--maybe my body is trying to retain and push into growth mode.  Who knows.

Staying the course.

And good advice above re: MFP and calorie counting.  I just find it too damn hard to figure out how many calories are in everything, and to log it all.  But maybe I should force myself to pick it back up.

I get my kids’ colds every time. Currently on day 5. It’s bad enough that I feel too weak to workout but not weak enough work or eat. 

Amen.  Have a nasty head cold I got from one of the kids, slept like crap, still got to the gym at 5am for my usual routine.  Wasn't easy, was plenty of room to make excuses today.  

Weight still stuck around 235.  I ate a bunch of chili last night, but it was mostly lean meats and vegetables.  Had two Bud Select 55s for a whopping 110 calories.  Not sure why I'm not making any downward progress, but part of me wonders whether it could be that I picked back up with lifting again after almost a month off--maybe my body is trying to retain and push into growth mode.  Who knows.

Staying the course.

And good advice above re: MFP and calorie counting.  I just find it too damn hard to figure out how many calories are in everything, and to log it all.  But maybe I should force myself to pick it back up.
MFP is really horrible for those that eat out a lot at non chain restaurants.  You are relying on some stranger taking a wild guess at the content, or just eyeballing it.

If you are home and can weigh out your meals it's fine.  

TBH not sure why you haven't just adopted intermittent fasting as your default.  It seems ideal for your situation.  

MFP is really horrible for those that eat out a lot at non chain restaurants.  You are relying on some stranger taking a wild guess at the content, or just eyeballing it.

TBH not sure why you haven't just adopted intermittent fasting as your default.  It seems ideal for your situation.  
I basically IF. I stop eating by 8pm or so. I have coffee in the morning and my next meal is a protein bar after noon. 

MFP has worked well for me in the past.   Sometimes it is difficult to enter data but just having to think about what I'm eating helps.  And, it's not like an error in calories is the end of the world.  Does it really matter for the week if I was off by 50 calories on Tuesday s dinner?   As long as you are using MFP and losing weight, you are succeeding.  

DocHolliday said:
MFP has worked well for me in the past.   Sometimes it is difficult to enter data but just having to think about what I'm eating helps.  And, it's not like an error in calories is the end of the world.  Does it really matter for the week if I was off by 50 calories on Tuesday s dinner?   As long as you are using MFP and losing weight, you are succeeding.  
Research is saying that it does, and people are 40% more likely to consistently under-report their intake accounting for nearly the entire delta to their tracking app expectation.   

Now that is with the eye that all calories are created equal, but if you are entering stuff in MFP then you've already boarded that ship.  

I would say MFP and daily scale is mandatory to detect under-reporting.  If you find yourself consistently under-reporting you need to set your calorie goal down according to your backwards looking track. 

i.e. if you show a 3500 calorie gap and you are +.5 pounds you need to drop your calorie goal to account for the fact you are not properly reporting your intake.  

Relogged into MFP this morning.  The calorie goal is actually totally reasonable for me to lose 2lbs per week.  I have over 1800 calories.  That's a decent amount of food.  Pretty sure I could even survive comfortably on half that.

About 20 hours in to a 2 day fast.  Hovering around 185 so hoping this helps me make a push in to the 170's.  Wanting to more closely start tracking my body fat.  Oats, what brand scale are you using nowadays?

Relogged into MFP this morning.  The calorie goal is actually totally reasonable for me to lose 2lbs per week.  I have over 1800 calories.  That's a decent amount of food.  Pretty sure I could even survive comfortably on half that.
Dude that'd be less than what has been determined to be cruel and unusual punishment for inmates to receive. If you dropped to 900 calories per day you'd be miserable and probably need weekly blood work done. 

Dude that'd be less than what has been determined to be cruel and unusual punishment for inmates to receive. If you dropped to 900 calories per day you'd be miserable and probably need weekly blood work done. 
History has shown that he'd be fine until a wine fueled eat everything in the pantry binge undoes any progress he made in the prior 3-10 days.

My budget is 1658 cal/day, and I regularly stay a few hundred under that with no problem.  I have a 200 cal protein bar in morning; run for 30 min at lunch (gives me about 600 cal credit), then I stay under 500 cal for lunch (usually a turkey/tuna sandwich and a pickle, or sometimes another protein bar) and then I can eat a 1000 cal dinner/dessert (which is a huge meal) and still be under budget.  It's hard to budget alcohol into the day.  By the weekend, I'm usually at least 1000 cal under budget for the week, so I can drink one night.  I've also substituted weed for alcohol and it helps (just have to resist the munchies).

1800/cal/day is easy doable.  If you cut out a few calorie-heavy foods/drinks you like, you'll see that 1800/day is actually plenty of food.  Don't think about trying to lose weight fast.  At 2lbs/week, or even 1lb/week, you'll be at your goal weight soon enough.  It doesn't matter if you get there in 3 months, or 1 year.  You're not trying to drop lbs to look good for wedding photos.  This is for the rest of your life, so you don't need to be in a hurry.

Addressing the complaint about logging calories - ya it's a PIA.  It's especially hard the first few months when you're first logging things into the app.  But the apps remember your previous logs, so you don't have to repeat your calorie-counting exercise the second time you eat something.  And after doing it for 78 days now (i get a reminder on the number every day), I'm starting to get pretty good at estimating the amount of food on a plate.  Good measuring guidelines are:  1 cup = size of a baseball; 3oz of meat = size of a deck of cards.  And after painstakingly measuring a tablespoon of X, and 1/4 cup of Y, I've got a good idea of what those amounts look like spread over a plate.

As someone mentioned above, chain restaurants (any restaurant with 20+ locations) must report calories per FDA rules.  That makes things easy.  For other restaurants, I take the time to figure out all of the major ingredients and then add up the calories using the app/internet research.  Since spices don't have calories, they don't matter.

One problem I have is finding a definitive source for accurate calorie counting.  Different websites often have different calorie counts for the same foods.  I usually pick the higher calorie count, just to make sure I'm not under-reporting.

I knew that my annual "post-race season" (I run a handful of long trail races a year) and holiday weight gain was settling in, but being in a hotel bathroom this week with bad lighting - ie it was bright and accurately reflected what I look like - and seeing my gut in that mirror had me saying out loud "holy ####!".  I've been much heavier in the past, peaking at around 230 with sympathy weight when my now 15 year old daughter was born, but have spent most of the past few years bouncing between 185-205.  So with my Spring race season coming up quickly, it's time for some additional accountability from my fellow soon-to-be-less-fat FFAers.

The nutrition plan is to go LCHF with strategic timing of higher carbs around key runs, something like what world record holder Zach Bitter does.  I'm typically fairly low carb, but they are my go to splurge/cheat when I fall off the wagon.  And I have fallen off the wagon hard.  The plan is to go full keto for awhile to kick start things, as I've had good success for short periods of time (a few weeks) on keto in the past.  And reduce the booze.  My running volume is low for me right now but I'll ramp that back up from the 4-5 hours/week I've been at back to 10-15 hours/week as I peak into my Spring races in March-May.   I typically just run and hike aerobically, but I'm adding in workouts like hill sprints, intervals, etc.  I also have already started doing some body weight exercises as I've ignored any sort of resistance training pretty much forever. 

The lowest I've been since high school is around 177, and the goal is to be at 175 before my key race on May 4th - let's call April 22nd as the goal date.  That's 27 lbs in 19 weeks.  So let's do this. 

December 7th:  202.3,  26.8%

Now I have to totally do this. Starting it up as soon as this brutal head cold passes. By Monday I hope. 

Today...

The good: maintained my fasting period and told my cold to stick it and ran 3 miles after work. 

The bad: colleagues chose pizza for lunch.

The ugly: wife wanted pizza for dinner. 

Addressing the complaint about logging calories - ya it's a PIA.  It's especially hard the first few months when you're first logging things into the app.  But the apps remember your previous logs, so you don't have to repeat your calorie-counting exercise the second time you eat something.  And after doing it for 78 days now (i get a reminder on the number every day), I'm starting to get pretty good at estimating the amount of food on a plate.  Good measuring guidelines are:  1 cup = size of a baseball; 3oz of meat = size of a deck of cards.  And after painstakingly measuring a tablespoon of X, and 1/4 cup of Y, I've got a good idea of what those amounts look like spread over a plate.

As someone mentioned above, chain restaurants (any restaurant with 20+ locations) must report calories per FDA rules.  That makes things easy.  For other restaurants, I take the time to figure out all of the major ingredients and then add up the calories using the app/internet research.  Since spices don't have calories, they don't matter.

One problem I have is finding a definitive source for accurate calorie counting.  Different websites often have different calorie counts for the same foods.  I usually pick the higher calorie count, just to make sure I'm not under-reporting.
The first 20 miinutes of this video does a decent job covering CICO.  

https://youtu.be/jXXGxoNFag4

Today...

The good: maintained my fasting period and told my cold to stick it and ran 3 miles after work. 

The bad: colleagues chose pizza for lunch.

The ugly: wife wanted pizza for dinner. 
Pizza twice a day is no bueno. 

Here’s an interesting realization for me:

If I just simplify and rather than tracking in an app every little thing, just put the following caps on each meal, I will lose lots of weight:

Breakfast: 300 calories

Lunch: 500 calories

Dinner: 1000 calories

On paper that seems ridiculously easy. 

Usually I eat a 250 cal protein bar for lunch, and usually I have no breakfast or one piece of grain toast. So I could shift like another 300 calories to dinner, for a total of 1300. That’s a lotta food methinks. 

Here’s an interesting realization for me:

If I just simplify and rather than tracking in an app every little thing, just put the following caps on each meal, I will lose lots of weight:

Breakfast: 300 calories

Lunch: 500 calories

Dinner: 1000 calories

On paper that seems ridiculously easy. 
Now have three drinks and see what you do. 

Now have three drinks and see what you do. 
Exactly. That’s the catch. It will require drinking just on weekends, which realistically makes more sense anyway. And for the drinks, sticking with the 55 calorie buds or some scotch and water/ice.  Splitting the multiple bottles of red wine with Mrs O on a Thursday night is my death knell. 

By the way, can I point out one other super good reason to get fit?  Confidence and performance at work. Seriously. I’ve noticed that when I’m feeling lean and fit and eating well and going easy on alcohol, I have tons of energy, but I’m also just way more confident. What that means for me as a lawyer is that in business meetings and in court, I’m just so much more confident and good at what I do. Christ—career performance alone is a really good reason to get this right this time... setting aside all the other health and lifestyle benefits and quality of life and being there longer for my kids etc....

Users who are viewing this thread