What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

No, it'll just be $10 less fun money in the end. I thought about resetting, but I'm trying to frame the challenge as consistency and forming healthy habits, with the money just being a bonus to look forward to. I feel like resetting is too punitive.

I've decided not to set a goal weight. I'm going to do this thing, be deliberate about only weighing in on days 30, 60, and 100, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm hoping to be sub-200 by the end, but that's just hoping, not goal-setting.
Actually reconsidered my approach here. At the end of September I’ll be doing Swim Across America again to benefit pediatric cancer research. If I miss any days, I’ll throw the $10 towards my fundraising goal.

MAC_32 said:
Yes!  Eat clean, rest more, stress less, and move dammit.  Do those 4 things and the numbers take care of themselves.
Ya, I know it will be a lot more slow going.  I could do keto and drop pounds fast, but I know that I can't stay on it long term.  Just have to go the long play and just get better everyday.

Ya, I know it will be a lot more slow going.  I could do keto and drop pounds fast, but I know that I can't stay on it long term.  Just have to go the long play and just get better everyday.
Success is a function of sustainability.  There are other ways to get better sooner, but the vast majority of time they end up failing eventually because they quite simply aren't sustainable.  The long game approach (almost) always wins.  Just need to avoid injury.

Success is a function of sustainability.  There are other ways to get better sooner, but the vast majority of time they end up failing eventually because they quite simply aren't sustainable.  The long game approach (almost) always wins.  Just need to avoid injury.
I don't disagree with either of you but I will say for somebody that is obese the idea of slow and methodical can be a mental hurdle.  Speaking as a former fat guy who hopes to never be that way again - when I was at my heaviest it usually took something a little drastic to get me going and jump start things.  I could easily have been successful without it from an execution standpoint but again, mentally I'm not sure I could do it.  If you told me at the beginning of 2017 that I could lose 70+ pounds but the smart thing to do would be to lose a pound a week for almost a year and a half I'm not sure I would have signed up for that.

Now, going from 192 to 170 slow and steady seems a lot more doable and I agree that ultimately that's the smart thing to do.  And I'll reiterate what MAC is saying - stay active but try your best to stay injury free.  Too many setbacks when you get injuries and the older you get the worst the consequences are.

I don't disagree with either of you but I will say for somebody that is obese the idea of slow and methodical can be a mental hurdle.  Speaking as a former fat guy who hopes to never be that way again - when I was at my heaviest it usually took something a little drastic to get me going and jump start things.  I could easily have been successful without it from an execution standpoint but again, mentally I'm not sure I could do it.  If you told me at the beginning of 2017 that I could lose 70+ pounds but the smart thing to do would be to lose a pound a week for almost a year and a half I'm not sure I would have signed up for that.

Now, going from 192 to 170 slow and steady seems a lot more doable and I agree that ultimately that's the smart thing to do.  And I'll reiterate what MAC is saying - stay active but try your best to stay injury free.  Too many setbacks when you get injuries and the older you get the worst the consequences are.
I don't disagree with you either.  I am 100% confident that weight loss is an individual issue.  There are no one size fits all solutions.  I believe that everyone reacts to food, and exercise differently, so everyone has to figure out what works for them.

Also, as you illustrated, different people in different stages of weight loss starting points, aren't going to have the same solutions.

I've never been obese, so I can't even dream of commenting on what the best method is for people in that situation.  

I don't disagree with you either.  I am 100% confident that weight loss is an individual issue.  There are no one size fits all solutions.  I believe that everyone reacts to food, and exercise differently, so everyone has to figure out what works for them.

Also, as you illustrated, different people in different stages of weight loss starting points, aren't going to have the same solutions.

I've never been obese, so I can't even dream of commenting on what the best method is for people in that situation.  
I absolutely fall in to the trap of thinking I can help everyone or that what's worked for me will work for everyone.  I realize it's dumb but I do think there's some universal "truths" out there that at least don't hurt and will most likely help folks.  I tell people to do the 3 W's - water, walking and weights.  Get more sleep.  No sugar.  Etc..  Somebody should start a thread to see if we could get a consensus on some of these things.

I absolutely fall in to the trap of thinking I can help everyone or that what's worked for me will work for everyone.  I realize it's dumb but I do think there's some universal "truths" out there that at least don't hurt and will most likely help folks.  I tell people to do the 3 W's - water, walking and weights.  Get more sleep.  No sugar.  Etc..  Somebody should start a thread to see if we could get a consensus on some of these things.
Agree that there are universal truths, and I don't disagree with those.  But, here's an example.  As a teenager, early 20s male, in my "prime," it was impossible for me to add muscle by lifting weights.  Tried many times, using different regimens.  Now, at 46, there is absolutely no chance I will ever be able to add meaningful muscle weight to my frame by lifting.  I still do it because it is exercise, and good for the bones, etc. 

Others might be more easily able to add muscle through weights, which will help them look better, which in turn will keep them motivated, and that added muscle will help them burn (some small amount) more calories during the day.

That;s just an example to me of something that, while might be "good" for everyone, isn't going to have the same results for everyone.

I think to some degree we all do.  And the only consensus you'll find is sustainability.  What one actually does is going to vary person-to-person, but whatever they're doing needs to be something that they will also do 6 months, 18 months, 5 years, etc. from now.  The reason diets fail is not complex - they're temporary.  I'm gonna cut out booze!!! Great, you'll probably lose 10-15 pounds.  Then put it all back on 2 months from now when you re-introduce alcohol.

So after drinking more or less one time since May 10th, BF is down to 15.5. Weight is 183.  I’ll check in, in another month or so. All other numbers trending in the right direction as well.  

So my problem is always self control, and mainly late at night when I crash and veg in front of the TV.  This week for grocery shopping, my wife gets two tubs of ice cream (one the kids like, and one they don't, so it will sit in the freezer staring at me until I eat it).  Then yesterday she comes home with stuff she bought from someone selling frozen food as a fundraiser.  One legit food item, then two tubs of frozen cookie dough.  Thanks dear.

Great seeing this thread again. Started (for real!) a couple of days ago. 

6/3 - Starting weight: 243.4

Goal: 220 (to start)

6/6 - Weigh in: 240.6

Plan: Stopped drinking booze and soda on 6/3. Cutting most of carbs. Gym 3-4 times per week, cardio and some lifting. Have arthritis in my elbow from multiple injuries, so lifting is not easy anymore.

Midweek check-in

I now have people telling me not to lose more weight.  I'm (somewhat) determined to lose as much of this stubborn belly fat as I can.  The idea of possibly being below 160 is :o

Bull Dozier said:
So my problem is always self control, and mainly late at night when I crash and veg in front of the TV.  This week for grocery shopping, my wife gets two tubs of ice cream (one the kids like, and one they don't, so it will sit in the freezer staring at me until I eat it).  Then yesterday she comes home with stuff she bought from someone selling frozen food as a fundraiser.  One legit food item, then two tubs of frozen cookie dough.  Thanks dear.
Just throw it all out and continue to do so until she stops buying crap

Midweek check-in

I now have people telling me not to lose more weight.  I'm (somewhat) determined to lose as much of this stubborn belly fat as I can.  The idea of possibly being below 160 is :o
I'd imagine at some point you'd have to start rocking a 6 pack.   I'm not talking full blown men's fitness cover 8 pack.   If you're not there yet, I'd think you still have some fat to lose.    

I'd imagine at some point you'd have to start rocking a 6 pack.   I'm not talking full blown men's fitness cover 8 pack.   If you're not there yet, I'd think you still have some fat to lose.    
There’s no doubt I have fat to lose - just not sure how much.  I still have a small beer belly of sorts.  Not really even noticeable when I have a shirt on.  I’d like to lose it though.

Day 10/100

Did upper body again today. I really want to be able to do a true unassisted pull-up, so I'm working my back alot. I have a long way to go, but, hell, I've got another 90 days...

Bank: $100 :excited:

Tecumseh said:
Day 10/100

Did upper body again today. I really want to be able to do a true unassisted pull-up, so I'm working my back alot. I have a long way to go, but, hell, I've got another 90 days...

Bank: $100 :excited:
Dumbbell pullovers are an underrated assistance movement to develop your first pull up.  Not sure whatever back stuff you are doing.   

Dumbbell pullovers are an underrated assistance movement to develop your first pull up.  Not sure whatever back stuff you are doing.   
Doing hanging shoulder shrugs, assuming a pull up position and holding it for as long as I can, and assisted pull ups on the machine. I'll look up the dumbbell pullovers. Thanks!

Week ?? Weigh-In

Starting Weight: 180.0

Last Week:  172.0

Current Weight:  169.9

Lost this round:  10.1 lbs

I had my best workout week in years so a decent drop of almost 2 pounds.  I feel like I can see a body composition change over the last few months but still a ways to go.

LET’S GO!

Resetting after just two weeks.  Wife texted me this morning and said she wanted to go back on Keto. This is most likely due to the two of us going to a cabin for the weekend, where we proceeded to eat out every meal.  Greasy spoon diners in the middle of central Minnesota.  Good food, not good for the belt.  So here I am starting again after just two weeks at day 1 - 195.  Yes, this is three pounds heavier than when I "started" two weeks ago, but this weekend did me in.  Third round (I think) of keto, here we go.

Episode 11/100 ​

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL​

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I encountered the first back-to-back night shifts of this trek. I worked overnight last night, and arrived home at about 8 to see that my daughter's car was in the driveway, but with a donut where the tire should be. I go in the house, and daughter comes out of her room to tell me that she hit a pothole in the rain last night and it blew out her tire. She didn't want me to worry, so she and her friends managed to get the donut on and get the car home without blowing up my phone at work. Ok, cool. Turns out, for reasons I won't get into, my wife didn't even know all this happened. I inform her, and she says she'll leave work early and handle getting the car fixed. I tell her not to worry about it, I'll just get up early and go. At this point I go to sleep. 10 minutes later she wakes me up to reiterate that she will get it fixed. I again tell her that I'll handle it (I really don't want her driving on a donut), and go back to sleep. 15 minutes later, this happens again. Wife finally goes to work. About 1:30, despite me telling her I would handle it, she comes home and  wakes me up to look at the other front tire, which is now also flat. ####. Fortunately, I have a can of fix-a-flat, which gets the tire off the ground enough to get it to the gas station to put air in it. I left wife take care of the car. In the interim, I got very little sleep, since I was worrying about the car, and also how I would get today's activity in. I dragged ### out of bed at 3:30. The rain stopped long enough to get a 2.5mi run in at the park, despite it being 84 degrees and 137% humidity. Now off to work on very little sleep, where we will have a major software upgrade on my unit, and for which I am kind of responsible for knowing what is going on,. #killme​

Bank: $110​

​

PS- I do appreciate the wife handling the car. I just hate being woken up again and again when I have to be up to work all night again.​

Episode 11/100 ​

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL​

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I encountered the first back-to-back night shifts of this trek. I worked overnight last night, and arrived home at about 8 to see that my daughter's car was in the driveway, but with a donut where the tire should be. I go in the house, and daughter comes out of her room to tell me that she hit a pothole in the rain last night and it blew out her tire. She didn't want me to worry, so she and her friends managed to get the donut on and get the car home without blowing up my phone at work. Ok, cool. Turns out, for reasons I won't get into, my wife didn't even know all this happened. I inform her, and she says she'll leave work early and handle getting the car fixed. I tell her not to worry about it, I'll just get up early and go. At this point I go to sleep. 10 minutes later she wakes me up to reiterate that she will get it fixed. I again tell her that I'll handle it (I really don't want her driving on a donut), and go back to sleep. 15 minutes later, this happens again. Wife finally goes to work. About 1:30, despite me telling her I would handle it, she comes home and  wakes me up to look at the other front tire, which is now also flat. ####. Fortunately, I have a can of fix-a-flat, which gets the tire off the ground enough to get it to the gas station to put air in it. I left wife take care of the car. In the interim, I got very little sleep, since I was worrying about the car, and also how I would get today's activity in. I dragged ### out of bed at 3:30. The rain stopped long enough to get a 2.5mi run in at the park, despite it being 84 degrees and 137% humidity. Now off to work on very little sleep, where we will have a major software upgrade on my unit, and for which I am kind of responsible for knowing what is going on,. #killme​

​

PS- I do appreciate the wife handling the car. I just hate being woken up again and again when I have to be up to work all night again.​
get it brother!

due to family obligations, i won't be able to work out until tonight, around 10.  we do what we must

Episode 11/100 ​

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL​

​

That just screams sick day from work

In my past two years of working out regularly at 5am, I came to the conclusion that it’s not the easy days that make you, it’s the hard days. Those mornings when I got up on just a few hours of sleep and hungover at 4:45am and forced myself to get to the gym?  Those are the difference maker days.  It’s easy to show up when you feel good and have no excuses. 

Well done.  Continued success. 

In my past two years of working out regularly at 5am, I came to the conclusion that it’s not the easy days that make you, it’s the hard days. Those mornings when I got up on just a few hours of sleep and hungover at 4:45am and forced myself to get to the gym?  Those are the difference maker days.  It’s easy to show up when you feel good and have no excuses. 

Well done.  Continued success. 
To add to that,   fighting through those hard days makes other non-ideal days seem that much easier.    Its a slippery slope when you start making excuses.   Pretty soon, you're not going to the gym at all or eating well at all.    Screw that.   You make a plan to do something, get up off your ### and do it.   

Day 13/100

Ran 2.5mi at the park, then went to the gym for upper body day. Those dumbbell pullovers are really good. Hits a ton of different muscles. I like it.

Bank: $130 

Ok, it's official, I am back in. This is day 3 of fasting for me. I went through some really tough life stuff and fell off the wagon hard. Hit 250 again.

I am doing OMAD starting tomorrow, and for the next week, to see how I like it and how I feel. Will post results. Also, am feeling like doing a really clean version of keto, with lots and lots of green veggies and only occasional steak and small amounts of animal protein. Not gonna overdo the bacon and dairy this time. Of course, it's 105 degrees here and I am basically latched onto a water bottle like a suckling pig- could have something to do with wanting salads.

Ok, it's official, I am back in. This is day 3 of fasting for me. I went through some really tough life stuff and fell off the wagon hard. Hit 250 again.

I am doing OMAD starting tomorrow, and for the next week, to see how I like it and how I feel. Will post results. Also, am feeling like doing a really clean version of keto, with lots and lots of green veggies and only occasional steak and small amounts of animal protein. Not gonna overdo the bacon and dairy this time. Of course, it's 105 degrees here and I am basically latched onto a water bottle like a suckling pig- could have something to do with wanting salads.
What about the potatoes?   Am I the only one still eating them regularly?

NutterButter said:
What about the potatoes?   Am I the only one still eating them regularly?
I'm sure somebody else is eating them. Maybe in Latvia. But, it's not me. I don't think I'll ever eat another boiled potato again. Even baked and home fries don't sound very good. I think it'll be a while before I develop the taste for potatoes again.

I'm sure somebody else is eating them. Maybe in Latvia. But, it's not me. I don't think I'll ever eat another boiled potato again. Even baked and home fries don't sound very good. I think it'll be a while before I develop the taste for potatoes again.
Well if you ever want to get serious about losing weight again, the 15lb costco bag is waiting for you.   

Day 14/100

Took a "rest" day today, just due to overall body and muscle aches. Triceps and quads are tight, and I just don't want to risk injury, so today I took an easy 5mi walk with my dog. On the plus side, I'm in wayyyy better shape than my dog.

Bank: $140

I'm kinda drinking, but I'm with you fellers.

I've got $157 Amazon gift card dollars in reserve.  I think I'll go buy a half dozen supplements.

RAWR!  My next post in this thread will include supplement unboxing.

Day 15/100

Insomnia! I think because I'm a night shift worker, every few weeks when I'm not working I'll have a bout of insomnia and not be able to sleep overnight. Went to bed about 2:30 last night and woke up about 5:15. I've been feeling guilty about something lately, so last night was one of those nights where I couldn't stop thinking about it, and then when I did finally fall asleep, I dreamed about it.

TL/DR- 2 hours sleep, then got in the gym early for 2 miles on the elliptical, then a leg day workout.

Bank: $150

ProstheticRGK said:

GB, really sorry for your loss.  I hope you are well.

And good luck in the latest diet adventure.  

O

I haven’t weighed myself in a while.  I decided to start doing my morning protein and creating shake after the gym on lifting days, and to try and build muscle again. I’m sure I’ve put on weight, some good, some bad.  Have to eventually shed the fat.  But the good news is I’m getting stronger again in the gym and starting to approach my peak lifting numbers, and I can see the muscle in my upper body and legs, so I know it’s working.  I’ve tried to go easy on the junk food and drinking, and have moderated a bit on both.  So, eating a bit cleaner.  At some point I need to go total clean eating and cut the booze, probably stop the protein shakes for a bit, to shed the belly.  But for now, it’s all systems go on DadBod.

Great seeing this thread again. Started (for real!) a couple of days ago. 

6/3 - Starting weight: 243.4

Goal: 220 (to start)

6/6 - Weigh in: 240.6

Plan: Stopped drinking booze and soda on 6/3. Cutting most of carbs. Gym 3-4 times per week, cardio and some lifting. Have arthritis in my elbow from multiple injuries, so lifting is not easy anymore.
6/14  Weigh-in: 237.2 (down 6.2 lbs)

Have only had 2 beers and 1 sugar drink in 11 days. Running 4 days/week (3 miles). Eating healthy, only a few sweets during this time. Feeling better, sleeping better.

Users who are viewing this thread