Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)

1 hour ago, ProstheticRGK said:

You really think somebody could lose 50 lbs in 7-8 weeks eating nothing but chicken fingers? C'mon, man.

They 100% could as long as they didn't eat many of them.  Eating 500-1,000 calories of chicken fingers a day for months would drop the weight off.

• Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Otis

• AAABatteries

• bostonfred

• DA RAIDERS

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, tr

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 20

I see the obvious problem here. A guy whose magnum opus on FBGs starts with "so I loan this chick I don't know 3 racks" called BS on me for saying I averaged a loss of 8 lbs a week on a diet. That is 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

They 100% could as long as they didn't eat many of them.  Eating 500-1,000 calories of chicken fingers a day for months would drop the weight off.

But that's the point. Chicken fingers are super delicious and not satiating enough. Nobody could really eat just 500 calories worth of those. 

6 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

I think the amount of protein people think they need is way more than they actually do need. We have all been brainwashed that we need protein and meat is the best source of protein. So, following the Starch Solution diet should cover your protein needs fine, even weight lifting.

I found This link that seems to have the answers you're looking for, but I can't vouch for the validity of what he writes- I have never been a heavy weightlifter. But he says that he takes powders and supplements for optimizing recovery and adding a performance boost as a competitive bodybuilder. Not for his basic protein requirements from being a bodybuilder. There's a lot of examples of high performance athletes being vegan/vegetarian. And not just endurance athletes, strength and bodybuilding, too.

You certainly don't need animal protein.  FLEX is probably the number one magazine for bodybuilders, and if any one would be biased in that way, it would be them.  They have an Ultimate Protein Handbook link, and here is the section on Soy Protein:

http://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/protein-powder-handbook?page=6

Soy protein is the powerhouse of the plant proteins, although it is a bit misunderstood and wrongly classified as a poor protein choice for men. The biggest misconception about soy is that, because it contains phytoestrogens (plant chemicals that have estrogenlike properties), it lowers testosterone and raises estrogen levels. Yet study after study has shown that this is not the case. A recent meta-analysis (an examination of previous research) analyzed the 15 quality studies done on soy and testosterone levels. The researchers concluded that soy does not alter testosterone concentrations in men.

Another misconception about soy is that it does not increase muscle growth as well as milk-based proteins. Yet one study found that when male bodybuilders supplemented twice daily with either soy protein concentrate powder, soy protein isolate powder, soy/whey protein powder blend or whey protein isolate powder during a 12-week weight-training program, all increased muscle mass similarly regardless of what protein they were taking. This supported a Canadian research project that reported similar results in untrained subjects.

Soy seems to stack up similarly to whey, and it also has benefits that whey and other protein powders do not. The first is soy’s ability to raise GH levels, which is likely due to its high arginine and lysine content. It also boosts NO levels. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Blacksburg) researchers found that the soy phytoestrogen genistein increased NO levels by raising the amount of nitric oxide synthase (the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of arginine into NO). In addition, soy better enhances muscle recovery. An Ohio State study on muscle growth comparing soy and whey protein bars reported that men taking soy had better antioxidant protection following exercise. Another study, published in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, found that when trained men consumed 40 g of soy protein before lifting weights for four weeks, they had better antioxidant protection following the workout as compared to men who consumed whey protein. And the Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness reported that women consuming soy protein for four weeks had less oxidative muscle damage following exercise than those consuming whey (who had no such reduction).

If all those benefits weren’t enough, soy can also enhance fat loss. A review in an issue of the journal Obesity Reviews concluded that soy protein can aid fat loss, possibly by decreasing appetite and calorie intake. In fact, a study by researchers in the departments of Obstetrics/Gynecology and Pharmacology at the University of Alabama (Birmingham) reported that women receiving a daily soy shake containing 20 g of soy protein plus 160 milligrams of isoflavones lost abdominal fat, while those consuming a 20-g casein shake gained fat around their waist and abdomen. Because soy may increase NO and GH levels, as well as enhance muscle recovery, it’s a great protein to add to your pre- and post-workout protein shakes.

In addition to soy, FLEX wrote about plan protein, with brown rice protein being the top one: http://www.flexonline.com/nutrition/protein-powder-handbook?page=7

That said, if you are serious about putting on muscle, it makes sense to take some protein supplements.  To maximize muscle gains you will need to have a significant amount of protein, and unless you plan on eating grilled chicken breasts or the like all the time, you will have to either use protein supplements or eat foods that will have a lot of extra calories (you can get more protein in your diet by eating three extra cheeseburgers a day, but that has its own drawbacks).

If you aren't too serious about putting on muscle, protein supplementation is not a big deal, but having a protein shake or two a day is certainly the easiest part of an extreme diet and going to the gym.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Otis said:

But that's the point. Chicken fingers are super delicious and not satiating enough. Nobody could really eat just 500 calories worth of those. 

It's because they are very calorie dense, as most fried/greasy food is.

Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast: Greek Yogurt ~90 calories

Lunch: grilled chicken breast, green beans and potato ~365 calories

Dinner: 5 eggs, 5 pieces of turkey bacon, home fries and OJ ~950 calories

I also had a ginger ale (~140 calories)

For a total of ~1545 calories. I did not feel hungry at all after dinner or during the day. 

15 minutes ago, Harry Manback said:

Yesterday I ate:

For a total of ~1545 calories. I did not feel hungry at all after dinner or during the day. 

Topless selfie or gtfo.

1 hour ago, Harry Manback said:

Yesterday I ate:

Duh, because you ate potatoes 

• Like 1

I think 1500 a day for a 220 man isn't sustainable; you'll lose weight but almost guaranteed to put it back on. 

1 hour ago, Harry Manback said:

Yesterday I ate:

No way this is 950 calories.  The 5 eggs and 5 turkey bacon alone should put you around 1,000

2 minutes ago, Arizona Ron said:

I think 1500 a day for a 220 man isn't sustainable; you'll lose weight but almost guaranteed to put it back on. 

No way this is 950 calories.  The 5 eggs and 5 turkey bacon alone should put you around 1,000

He might've meant egg whites...

Even without, prob closer to 600ish calories.

Edited by fantasycurse42
32 minutes ago, Arizona Ron said:

How do you figure?

Eggs are ~90 cal each, each slice of turkey bacon is only 30 cal

1 hour ago, Arizona Ron said:

Well, I'm not 220.

My point is if you're eating the "right" types of foods, hunger and satiation won't be an issue.

Veggies and lean meats will fill you up for less calories than fried foods and baked goods.

1 hour ago, Chaka said:

How did I not know about this thread?

Classic.

Totally been meaning to direct you here GB.  Thanks for all the encouraging LIKES on MFP.  But as you can see, while reduced alcohol is definitely a part of it, SPUDS are the driving force now.

1 hour ago, Chase Stuart said:

Had some steak and potatos bravas today at lunch.  Was going to opt for the steak salad, but why miss out on a super food if I can get it?

Feels like you could move mountains, ammiright?

2 reheated boiled potatoes for lunch today. 

Then special loaded baked potatoes tonight. Amazing. 4 medium sized potatoes with some fat free cheddar and a dollop of fat free faux sour cream (Greek yogurt). A feast. 

24 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

There should be some special internet award bestowed when you manage to stick out as an attention whore in an Otis thread.  

Agreed. Oh, wait... Nevermind. :kicks rock:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

There should be some special internet award bestowed when you manage to stick out as an attention whore in an Otis thread.  

http://i.imgur.com/fzQdLQZ.jpg

you see the veins starting to come out? What about that chest definition, even at the top through the tank top, you can see it. I got up 225 14 times on flat and 275 8x on decline, it's magical at 33. By end of summer I'm hoping to get 225 18-20x and 315 decline 6-8x. After JJ Watt, I'm a little embarrassed to go shirtless, but in 3-4 weeks and I'll be there. 

53 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

you see the veins starting to come out? What about that chest definition, even at the top through the tank top, you can see it. I got up 225 14 times on flat and 275 8x on decline, it's magical at 33. By end of summer I'm hoping to get 225 18-20x and 315 decline 6-8x. After JJ Watt, I'm a little embarrassed to go shirtless, but in 3-4 weeks and I'll be there. 

Boy, you really are short, huh?

2 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

Well, i went ahead and made baked chips tonight.  Came out pretty well.

Drinking and stuff like a normal person, but I think I'm going to mix in a potato as a post dinner snack a few times a week.  Not remotely hungry.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

You're like a real life no leg day meme :lmao: 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

The Award should be that the OP gets to perma ban one person from a thread. #banstumpy

4 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

u aware brah?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

The Award should be that the OP gets to perma ban one person from a thread. #banstumpy

Members.hip has its privileges. :bowtie: 

• Otis changed the title to Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)