What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

About to fly out for a long weekend tomorrow out of town with family and friends. I don't plan to spud the weekend--I'll have some drinks and eat some restaurant food and the like--but I also don't plan to go off the rails like last weekend with all the cookies and ice cream and pizza and crap. I'd really like to carry some positive momentum into next week which will be a normal five day work week (i.e. all potatoes) and really crush down past 220.  If I can break that barrier I'll start to look longingly at 210...
No no, enjoy yourself... 

So I stumbled into the kitchen, no idea what I wanted to eat.  I was about to grab me a standard "Coke Zero", the drink that I can't quit, and probably a banana.

But then out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the bag of potatoes.  So I thought, why not?

Switched to black coffee and water, and popped two taters in the microwave.  Salt + Pepper on top..

I must say, not bad at all.  Friday's are a pretty crappy day to start a "hack", but I can't blow it out this weekend anyway.  Mostly I'm just seeing if I enjoy it after one day.  

BTW, this reminds me of the first "diet/workout" book I ever read.  I got the Body For Life book 14 years ago when my new marriage and new sitdown job in IT packed 30 pounds on me in literally 6 months.  The writer, Bill Phillip recommended potatoes.  I recall eating a lot of meat and potatoes on that diet.  Small portions, and no butter.  I remember it took awhile to get used to potatoes that weren't drenched in butter, but I didn't, in fact die.

Highly liked sushi place, see below, this is typical for Sushi of Gari...

Let me know what areas you're looking to eat and what type of restaurants, I can give you a bunch of recommendations.
I did the Omakase with my son. It's hard to explain how awesome the experience was. And I've eaten a ton of sushi in my life, but this was hands down the best.

Just in case you want to take it up a notch.  Don't exercise!

People don't believe me when I say this works, but it does and the data backs me up.
Nice link. I believe you, and looking back on it, I had a significant rise in those NEAT activities right when I started the potato diet. An extra 2000 kcals/day deficit combined with restricted overall calories and potato magic would help explain the results.

Nice link. I believe you, and looking back on it, I had a significant rise in those NEAT activities right when I started the potato diet. An extra 2000 kcals/day deficit combined with restricted overall calories and potato magic would help explain the results.
I am a big fan.  I believe that working out is great for you but not for losing weight.

The fact that I'm hovering at 220 is pretty epic for me. I was 240 when these diet threads all began. All it really took to cut that 20lbs was cutting most alcohol and eating some spuds. Seems to me another 20lbs shouldn't be hard at all.  Poised for greatness, gang.  Let's Make Otis Great Again. 

Best part about walking to the gym at 6am is seeing all the hookers and girls doing the coked out 6am walk of shame, one of my favorite parts of Saturday mornings, to be young again :kicksrock:

fantasycurse42 said:
Best part about walking to the gym at 6am is seeing all the hookers and girls doing the coked out 6am walk of shame, one of my favorite parts of Saturday mornings, to be young again :kicksrock:
Nice neighborhood.  

fantasycurse42 said:
You must be a pretty light boozer to be able to get up and workout by 6 even on the weekends.  Good for you.

Well ...I'm in.  

Day one.  I haven't eaten today, I was making food for the family and watching The Memorial Tourney.  I did have a couple of cups of black coffee (have to look up caffeine).

Sliced 2.5 lbs of russets thin on the mandolin, sprinkled them with ground szechuan pepper, cumin and some celery seed and baked for a little over an hour at 450 degrees.  I shuffled them around half way through.  Basically, oven chips.  Some are pretty brown and others are a little soft in the middle, but I think I like getting the different textures.

Eating them now with homemade salsa (basically Joe's recipe with some chipotle powder mixed in.  

Will report back.  

Effects of High vs Low Glycemic Index of Dietary Carbohydrate on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors and Insulin Sensitivity

Results  At high dietary carbohydrate content, the low– compared with high–glycemic index level decreased insulin sensitivity from 8.9 to 7.1 units (−20%, P = .002); increased LDL cholesterol from 139 to 147 mg/dL (6%, P  ≤ .001); and did not affect levels of HDL cholesterol, triglycerides, or blood pressure. At low carbohydrate content, the low– compared with high–glycemic index level did not affect the outcomes except for decreasing triglycerides from 91 to 86 mg/dL (−5%, P = .02). In the primary diet contrast, the low–glycemic index, low-carbohydrate diet, compared with the high–glycemic index, high-carbohydrate diet, did not affect insulin sensitivity, systolic blood pressure, LDL cholesterol, or HDL cholesterol but did lower triglycerides from 111 to 86 mg/dL (−23%, P ≤ .001).

Conclusions and Relevance  In this 5-week controlled feeding study, diets with low glycemic index of dietary carbohydrate, compared with high glycemic index of dietary carbohydrate, did not result in improvements in insulin sensitivity, lipid levels, or systolic blood pressure. In the context of an overall DASH-type diet, using glycemic index to select specific foods may not improve cardiovascular risk factors or insulin resistance.
In case you were wondering about the low vs. high GI issue, looks like it makes no difference and maybe high GI foods are better for you.

Full Spud back on as of today.  A couple of reheated boiled potatoes for lunch, and made up some browned wedges in the oven for dinner, a light spray of cooking spray, some salt and spices, with a little ketchup.  Divine.

This past three-day weekend vacation involved fast food, booze, pizza, booze, ice cream, etc.  Still only up 5lbs on the weekend in this morning's weigh-in, 3 of which or so I assume will be vanished by tomorrow.  Hope to be at 221-222 tomorrow morning.  Puts me right on target to break well through the 220 barrier, finally, with a solid full week of spuds.  

Day 2.

2 cups of black coffee and actually worked out some - circuit on Cybex machines.  

Eating potato wedges and sprinkling malt vinegar on them.  Cut them, boiled them for about 6-7 minutes and baked them at 450 degrees for about a half hour.  

Not bad.  AND no food cravings last night or today so far.

Made mashed potatoes with a little chicken broth for tomorrow - will probably make them into patties and get some crunch on them at 450 degrees.

Otis said:

23.4%
While I don't like the long term sustainability of this program and worry about backsliding once you stop, I know that it can be effective while you are on it and I do applaud your effort.  Keep it up.

While I don't like the long term sustainability of this program and worry about backsliding once you stop, I know that it can be effective while you are on it and I do applaud your effort.  Keep it up.
It is a very effective fast to utilize after a binge period, I've found.  

It is a very effective fast to utilize after a binge period, I've found.  
 I know.  MT has been talking about its effectiveness (and providing copious information to back it up)  off and on for a couple years now and I pretty much take anything he says as the gospel truth.

Though it doesn't seem like much of a fast.

I know.  MT has been talking about its effectiveness (and providing copious information to back it up)  off and on for a couple years now and I pretty much take anything he says as the gospel truth.

Though it doesn't seem like much of a fast.
It seems like the type of diet that may work for someone like Otis.  Will not avoid binges?  Don't exercise?  Then spud.

The real variable will be after binge #7 or #13.  Will the discipline break down after repeating the same cycle a number of times?  Look down at the scale after a Thanksgiving binge, see 217.1 and 21.3%, then subconsciously realize how little relative ground has been made over the last 6 months, look at a full schedule for the next 6 weeks then proceed to undo all the good that was done between then and New Year's.

More stats that show this issue is getting worse, not better, and women are getting fatter at an increasing rate.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2526639

Conclusions and Relevance  In this nationally representative survey of adults in the United States, the age-adjusted prevalence of obesity in 2013-2014 was 35.0% among men and 40.4% among women. The corresponding values for class 3 obesity were 5.5% for men and 9.9% for women. For women, the prevalence of overall obesity and of class 3 obesity showed significant linear trends for increase between 2005 and 2014; there were no significant trends for men. Other studies are needed to determine the reasons for these trends.

can you sum it up?  it's a touch long
A few points, goes into details about how people take as gospel the calories written on packages and presented by restaurants when they can be off by 40% or more serving to serving.  The regulation on what restaurants can show as their calorie counts is really loose and based on bad science, and frequently is just made up.  Even packaged foods suffer from some issues along these lines.

Goes into some details on why same people eating same foods might arrive at different weights.  Cites gut bacteria as one possible cause. Ok.  Maybe.

Goes into details on how the raw calorie count isn't a particularly useful way for calculating things like meats, for example as cooking time has a large swing on the calorie count and that's never accounted for.  On other end of spectrum you have things like alcohol which I have always felt is overcounted by a huge order of magnitude.  

Day 3.  Started out on Sunday morning - weighed 187.3 (5'9").   Kinda cheated and weighed in after working out around 4pm - weighed 182.0.  

I felt fine but pretty light-headed when lifting on the Cybex machines and cut it short.  I walked at a 3.2/mph pace for 20 minutes and then hit the Cybex machine circuit.  I haven't lifted in years ...if ever really (never got into heavy for fear of messing up my golf swing - yeah, I know that has long been proven wrong).  

I got through 12 of 17 machines with light weight settings ...doing 3 sets of 10.  Shut it down and felt I needed an almond milk/vegan protein powder shake (12 oz.) - felt better afterwards.  

The book "The Starch Solution" talks about using rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. so I am going Dreamfields pasta with tomato sauce tonight.  

Not sure if this totally ok, but not into potatoes tonight ...at all. 

http://i.imgur.com/fzQdLQZ.jpg

you see the veins starting to come out? What about that chest definition, even at the top through the tank top, you can see it. I got up 225 14 times on flat and 275 8x on decline, it's magical at 33. By end of summer I'm hoping to get 225 18-20x and 315 decline 6-8x. After JJ Watt, I'm a little embarrassed to go shirtless, but in 3-4 weeks and I'll be there. 
I did that when I was 46, get back to us in 13 yrs

Eta:. U you really should be starting heavy squats. You'll get allot more bang for the buck than bench

Last edited by a moderator:
Full Spud back on as of today.  A couple of reheated boiled potatoes for lunch, and made up some browned wedges in the oven for dinner, a light spray of cooking spray, some salt and spices, with a little ketchup.  Divine.

This past three-day weekend vacation involved fast food, booze, pizza, booze, ice cream, etc.  Still only up 5lbs on the weekend in this morning's weigh-in, 3 of which or so I assume will be vanished by tomorrow.  Hope to be at 221-222 tomorrow morning.  Puts me right on target to break well through the 220 barrier, finally, with a solid full week of spuds.  
I instead of blowing up again off 220, why don't you hunker down and move to 210. Just decide and do it.

Day 3.  Started out on Sunday morning - weighed 187.3 (5'9").   Kinda cheated and weighed in after working out around 4pm - weighed 182.0.  

I felt fine but pretty light-headed when lifting on the Cybex machines and cut it short.  I walked at a 3.2/mph pace for 20 minutes and then hit the Cybex machine circuit.  I haven't lifted in years ...if ever really (never got into heavy for fear of messing up my golf swing - yeah, I know that has long been proven wrong).  

I got through 12 of 17 machines with light weight settings ...doing 3 sets of 10.  Shut it down and felt I needed an almond milk/vegan protein powder shake (12 oz.) - felt better afterwards.  

The book "The Starch Solution" talks about using rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. so I am going Dreamfields pasta with tomato sauce tonight.  

Not sure if this totally ok, but not into potatoes tonight ...at all. 
I'm avoiding pasta like the plague. It's either rice or potatoes . Jmo

http://i.imgur.com/fzQdLQZ.jpg

you see the veins starting to come out? What about that chest definition, even at the top through the tank top, you can see it. I got up 225 14 times on flat and 275 8x on decline, it's magical at 33. By end of summer I'm hoping to get 225 18-20x and 315 decline 6-8x. After JJ Watt, I'm a little embarrassed to go shirtless, but in 3-4 weeks and I'll be there. 
Looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread