What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (5 Viewers)

Jesus. 

wait a minute how long were you on that treadmill?? 800 calories is a ton 
I watched half a football game on the treadmill.  I ran 7mph for 20 minutes of it. 

If you have time to watch television or **** around on the internet you have time to walk 3mph. This is why i own a treadmill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus. 

wait a minute how long were you on that treadmill?? 800 calories is a ton 
If it's hard exercise it really isn't. I dont know @bostonfred's size, but I probably burn more than that on a hard 45-60 minute workout. Calculators aren't reliable, but they can at least help find your own starting point. 

Only rub is it takes a while for your body to be able to withstand a hard workout. Plus you then need to refuel to aid in recovery, so it isn't all free calories. 

Lol #### all of this

I eat salads and salmon and stuff, and i do actually like fruit and yogurt, but I have a pretty simple rule I follow.  If you dropped all your food for the day on the ground i probably wouldn't even identify half if it as food.  F that. 
Haha, I didnt consider most of these foods the better part of a decade ago. Diet has just kind of evolved over time. What mixture of foods aids in recovery, won't upset my stomach during a workout, and will allow for the cheating I crave. 

I'm stumped how some of those foods don't upset my stomach while working out, but salads? Those are a messy proposition. I still make one when I can, but what used to be with several dinners during the week is now maybe once or twice. 

Lol #### all of this

I eat salads and salmon and stuff, and i do actually like fruit and yogurt, but I have a pretty simple rule I follow.  If you dropped all your food for the day on the ground i probably wouldn't even identify half if it as food.  F that. 
Just like you’ve been surprised how easy it has been to correct many of your bad habits, it’s super easy to rewire your palate. I grew up with burgers and coke (the beverage) 3-5 days a week, but have transitioned to a pescatarian diet for the last 15 years. I not only lack cravings for the stuff I’ve given up, I find it unappetizing.

People are quick to volunteer for an early death over giving up beef/booze/whatever, but that’s before the health consequences of their decisions set in. The problem is, it takes a major health scare to get many people to change, after a lot of damage has already been done.

Just like you’ve been surprised how easy it has been to correct many of your bad habits, it’s super easy to rewire your palate. I grew up with burgers and coke (the beverage) 3-5 days a week, but have transitioned to a pescatarian diet for the last 15 years. I not only lack cravings for the stuff I’ve given up, I find it unappetizing.

People are quick to volunteer for an early death over giving up beef/booze/whatever, but that’s before the health consequences of their decisions set in. The problem is, it takes a major health scare to get many people to change, after a lot of damage has already been done.
It is incredible how quickly the palate can change. I wouldn't go anywhere near an olive anytime before about age 30. Now I actively seek out dishes to add all sorts of different kinds of olives with them. 

bostonfred said:
I won a biggest loser bet today. 500 beans.

We structured it as 500 for getting to our goal weight, 500 more for being the first to lose it, and 500 more for keeping it off for two months. If we're both successful then it's just 500 to me for getting there first.  

We've been doing weekly weigh ins for months now and it's been really motivating for both of us. My friend is about 4 pounds away so he's almost definitely going to get there, and we both need to survive the holidays. I pushed a little extra to get done in October so my two months would be over before Christmas.  He's got about two weeks to get there himself.

He did keto for most of it, i just monitored calories on myfitnesspal and gradually increased my exercise.  I don't think he believed that i could keep up with keto while just watching calories.  But it's all the same thing - setting a goal, having a plan to get there and sticking to it.  I ended up cutting some carbs - i didn't have sugar in my coffee, and i didn't have as much pizza - but it was just incidental while i was tracking calories. 

The main thing is making better choices.  To "celebrate" today i had a nearly 1000 calorie breakfast at Dunkin - a maple bacon sandwich on a croissant, hash browns and an extra large hazlenut coffee with milk and sugar.

It used to be nothing to eat like this.  I actually feel gross now. I think I just got used to feeling gross and thinking that meant "full". 

Its not even like i haven't had breakfast at dunkin donuts. I've still gone there the whole time, but I've gotten a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for 400 calories or English muffin for 300 and a large coffee with milk for 50. An egg mcmuffin is 300 calories.  The maple bacon sandwich on a croissant is over 600. 

I enjoyed having sugar in my coffee, which was 220 calories.  I'll probably still do that once in a while as a splurge, but i don't want to get too used to it. 

Honestly the sandwich wasn't even better.  It definitely wasn't double the calories different. And the hash browns were just gross.  There's really no excuse for eating a 1000 calorie breakfast on a regular basis but it's so easy to pick the "bad" food choices.  

The flip side of that though is that it's also really easy to pick a lower calorie meal.  I liked my 400 calorie breakfasts aGood jobs much as that 1000 calorie gut buster. I liked my 400 calorie bowl of chicken tortilla soup for lunch.  I wasn't depriving myself at all.  And i could have a huge 700 calorie buffalo chicken wrap for dinner, do literally no exercise, and come in at 1500 calories on the day while enjoying every meal. It's absurd to me now that I used to make so many bad decisions so consistently. 
Good job!

As for hash browns, I love 'em. I grate the potatoes, put condiments (paprika, salt, vinegar) and then put the whole mess on my panini toaster, no oil. I usually have them for dinner, though, with some spicy veg sauce

I’ve really been taking MAC’s post about rest to heart.  Since I’ve started this daily challenge I’ve been exhausted - I think I have an impingement in my hip and with the pushups I’ve had a lot of fatigue/stress in my neck and shoulders.  I think I need to do 6 days a week and take a day off.
Yeah, your body needs to rest and repair. Overtraining is a thing.

I had my bio-metric screening done this morning - I'm extremely happy with the results:

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 160.0 (fully clothed, no shoes)

BMI: 23.6

BP: 122/69

Total Cholesterol: 192

HDL Cholesterol: 66

LDL Cholesterol: 114

Triglycerides: 57

Non-HDL Cholesterol: 126

Total Chol/HDL Ratio: 2.9

Glucose: 90

LET'S GO!!!!!

The best thing for my recovery was the hypervolt. I used to get bad muscle pain in my back, hips, quads, calves, knees - total game changer. I've seen them using it on NFL sidelines during games, they use it at massage places and physical therapists, it's just a good device.  

I had my bio-metric screening done this morning - I'm extremely happy with the results:

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 160.0 (fully clothed, no shoes)

BMI: 23.6

BP: 122/69

Total Cholesterol: 192

HDL Cholesterol: 66

LDL Cholesterol: 114

Triglycerides: 57

Non-HDL Cholesterol: 126

Total Chol/HDL Ratio: 2.9

Glucose: 90

LET'S GO!!!!!
Awesome numbers. Congrats, GB. You've earned it.

Hmmm...any background reading on your hypothyroidism hypothesis? Sure you aren’t referring to the pancreas?

But I agree that yo-yoing is unhealthy, especially with garbage calories like fast food and booze.
My background is seeing what yo-yoing did to my Mom and her doctor telling her that the back and forth between gorging and fasting basically shut down her thyroid. The thyroid gland manufactures hormones that regulate your body’s metabolism.

I’ve really been taking MAC’s post about rest to heart.  Since I’ve started this daily challenge I’ve been exhausted - I think I have an impingement in my hip and with the pushups I’ve had a lot of fatigue/stress in my neck and shoulders.  I think I need to do 6 days a week and take a day off.
Correct.  Your body will do more, with a proper day of a rest. You are working it really hard. 

MAC_32 said:
Lowest weight this calendar year. Now I'm dipping leftover pizza crust my kids didn't eat in garlic butter.

Where you can send your Monopoly game
Congrats.   I hit my lowest weight this year on Monday.   After vacation in July, I wanted to get below 200.   I wasn't very motivated and losing the 6 pounds too much longer than necessary.   Getting older makes losing weight difficult.   And, like Otis, I'm not a fan of cardio.   I do some, but not enough.   I prefer to weight train but my body can't handle a bunch of killer workouts in a row.  

The last pound went away after giving up as much sugar as possible for me in the last week.  

Congrats.   I hit my lowest weight this year on Monday.   After vacation in July, I wanted to get below 200.   I wasn't very motivated and losing the 6 pounds too much longer than necessary.   Getting older makes losing weight difficult.   And, like Otis, I'm not a fan of cardio.   I do some, but not enough.   I prefer to weight train but my body can't handle a bunch of killer workouts in a row.  

The last pound went away after giving up as much sugar as possible for me in the last week.  
I get that I'm an outlier in both good ways and bad, but I kind of chuckle whenever I read others talk about the toll running takes on the body. Maybe it's just me (and to some degree you), but I can't lift like I used to. That realization contributed to where I am now. I used to be able to lift 4-5x per week without incident. Now if I try to sustain 3x per week I end up on the shelf with something 6-8 weeks in. I am sure it's a technique flaw, but that flaw didnt injure the 20something me. 

Ever since I transitioned to a lighter 2.5x per week in a complimentary manner to a lot more running, no injuries - best shape of my life. I'll hone in on a 4-6 week strength building cycle a couple times per year, but that's about it. 

Not saying anyone should do what I'm doing either. Just saying be open minded to what may work for you. 

I get that I'm an outlier in both good ways and bad, but I kind of chuckle whenever I read others talk about the toll running takes on the body. Maybe it's just me (and to some degree you), but I can't lift like I used to. That realization contributed to where I am now. I used to be able to lift 4-5x per week without incident. Now if I try to sustain 3x per week I end up on the shelf with something 6-8 weeks in. I am sure it's a technique flaw, but that flaw didnt injure the 20something me. 

Ever since I transitioned to a lighter 2.5x per week in a complimentary manner to a lot more running, no injuries - best shape of my life. I'll hone in on a 4-6 week strength building cycle a couple times per year, but that's about it. 

Not saying anyone should do what I'm doing either. Just saying be open minded to what may work for you. 
I've had a similar experience. Weight lifting destroyed my shoulders and elbows, and herniated a lumbar disc. Running only hurts when I start back up after a prolonged absence, which I try to avoid.

After lifting for 20+ years, I cancelled my 24 hour fitness membership a couple years ago. I enrolled in a climbing gym instead, but only do body weight exercises. Plus run a few times a week. Granted I'm not as fit as I was in my 20's, but I also don't have many aches and pains like my contemporaries.

I think one key is avoiding heavy lifting and explosive movements as we age, somewhat contrary to the HIIT philosophy.

I've only been back to lifting for like 2 years now, but I've definitely had some spurts in there where I hurt my shoulders and had to stop certain exercises, like bench and shoulder workouts, or my wrists/forearms, and have to stop things like curls and back workouts.  That was when I was doing creatine and protein shakes and pushing my limits in terms of weight.  I was definitely stronger than I am now (then I was doing 95lb dumbell bench press, and desperately trying to get to the magic 100 (never made it), whereas now I'm down to 75 o 80lbs), but I also haven't had issues.  Once I lose this gut, I may at some point get back to protein and creatine, though this time with clean eating and a little more focus, to see if I can make that 100 goal, but for now I'm content getting a little bigger and stronger, building up the bracing muscles/tendons/functional strength, and not feeling hurt.

Tonight I have a planned cheat coming.  Taking a client to a restaurant that has been lauded by some food critics as literally the best restaurant in America.  I'll go easy on the booze, and try to be reasonable with the food, but I won't be counting or non-carbing.  Just will have to make up for it later in the week, maybe with a fast.

Tonight I have a planned cheat coming.  Taking a client to a restaurant that has been lauded by some food critics as literally the best restaurant in America.  I'll go easy on the booze, and try to be reasonable with the food, but I won't be counting or non-carbing.  Just will have to make up for it later in the week, maybe with a fast.
Sorry if I missed your reply earlier to this question. Are you do lawyering at these meetings (and road trips) or are you selling your services?

Sorry if I missed your reply earlier to this question. Are you do lawyering at these meetings (and road trips) or are you selling your services?
We’re generally not lawyering during these meals. It’s mostly relationship building and selling.  It’s all business development. 

After setting my daily calories for losing two pounds a week for months, switching to one pound a week feels like I'm eating like a king. It's unbelievable. I left my goal at losing two a week in myfitnesspal and just let myself go up to 500 over and it feels like I'm overeating even though I know it's not. So awesome. 

After setting my daily calories for losing two pounds a week for months, switching to one pound a week feels like I'm eating like a king. It's unbelievable. I left my goal at losing two a week in myfitnesspal and just let myself go up to 500 over and it feels like I'm overeating even though I know it's not. So awesome. 
You need to make sure to adjust your calorie goals at your new weight.

But, that said, it is glorious.  Wait until you are in maintenance  :pickle:

Day 27: Rested - got in 11,863 steps still

Day 28:

- 15,738 Steps

- 150 push-ups 

- 250 squats

- 250 abs (50 Flutter kicks; 50 leg lifts; 50 crunches;  50 mountain climbers; 50 teasers)

- Stretching - NOPE

- 100 oz of water - CHECK

- Sleep - NOPE

Well this is a little alarming for this group.

Researchers found the association between weight gain and mortality weakens as you get older, and losing weight in middle age or late adulthood may heighten the risk of premature death, particularly when it comes to heart disease.

"Our takeaway is that it's best to prevent weight gain at younger ages to reduce the risk of premature death later in life," said study author An Pan, a professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Tongji Medical College in Wuhan, China.

The study found that people who remained obese, as measured by body mass index, throughout their adult life had the highest risk of premature death. Weight gain from mid-20s into middle age was also associated with increased risk of mortality when compared to people who remained at normal weight throughout their life.

However, weight loss in middle and older age "was significantly related to increased mortality risk," the study said.

I just checked and they say “60-80% of your 1 rep max” is effective for weight loss.
Interesting.  So you do as many reps as you can with that weight?  I should probably cut down even further what I’m lifting.  Thanks. 

Was this just voluntary weight loss? Involuntary weight loss is almost always bad.
I also wonder if it's voluntary weight loss after some other health scare.  

And whether people did keto (which can damage your heart muscle if not done correctly) 

Or crash dieting (also not great for the heart)

And whether people did cardio exercise during and after the diet

And whether the overweight people had increased their cardio exercise abruptly or unsafely 

And whether they were eating fiber and protein and other nutrients while on their diets

There's a lot to control for. 

These green chili cheese fries, because my doctor says I have to lower my cholesterol and I just cant stomach another brat or deep fired snickers bar, that's why.

Users who are viewing this thread