What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (19 Viewers)

So strange to me that we can split the atom and put a man on the moon, and yet we can’t even figure out how our own bodies work. 
"If the brain was so simple we could understand it, we would be so stupid we couldn't" someone smart once said

Last edited by a moderator:
Anecdote with no point time:

I've been doing the daily workouts (Operation Six Pack) which was wearing me down.  I did the challenge on Saturday and then Sunday morning planned on a long run at what is a decent pace for me.  I finished and I was dead - legs were hurting and just didn't feel like doing anything else...for basically 48 hours while I ate and drank whatever I wanted because hey, I ran a long way.  So, after 2 days I had put on weight, legs still hurt and I've missed 2 days of my challenge.  I'm not rethinking my long runs, I enjoy them.  And I'm not even sure what the point of this post is other than it made me realize that some goals may end up competing with each other so I need to decide how to mesh them or at a minimum, prioritize them.

I did IF yesterday, did a recover run and plan to jump back in to my challenge today.  The good news is after all that I did drop a little weight but not sure I'm any closer with Operation Six Pack.

Great work in here by DW, ew, krista, boot, Bass and others I'm forgetting.  Oh, and GB Otis.

LET'S GO!!!!

Otis said:
Weighed in at 231.3 this morning, right around my recent low.  That’s despite a somewhat sloppy Sunday (intentionally so), and a big lunch meal out at a fancy restaurant (it actually wasn’t much in terms of quantity, a fancy schmancy place, I guess that’s why).

For whatever it’s worth, another good sign is the body fat % keeps decreasing.  25% this week, it was in the mid 26% range last week, and the 27-28% range the week before.  So, even though weight isn’t dropping like crazy, seems a good development.  I do need to get down into the 220s and start marching toward my goal weight here, but I’m in no hurry — I’m living just fine, and I’ll get there.  

Another run this morning.  In a hotel today in Wiconsin — will have a meal out with clients tonight, will try and be somewhat healthy about it.

My 8yo learned how to ride her bike without training wheels finally,  so we’ve been talking about weekend rides around town with me jogging and her riding alongside.  Would be nice to regularly build in some family + exercise time all in one shot.  
on the plus side for you scanny is known for its granola and yogurt culture and mountain biking everywhere so you will probably come out of the trip down 5 poundaronis take that to the bank brohan

Well, client dinner last night was a little off the rails.  Ate cheese curds, and hash browns, and some steak, and drank a bunch.  I’d only had a granola bar all day, and ran in the morning, so hopefully there’s enough offset.  Today is a new day, flying home tonight, then no travel for a few weeks, so I’d like to keep running, keep to mostly clean eating and limited alcohol, and work in a couple multi-day fasts. 

I've been doing the daily workouts (Operation Six Pack) which was wearing me down.  I did the challenge on Saturday and then Sunday morning planned on a long run at what is a decent pace for me.  I finished and I was dead - legs were hurting and just didn't feel like doing anything else...for basically 48 hours while I ate and drank whatever I wanted because hey, I ran a long way.  So, after 2 days I had put on weight, legs still hurt and I've missed 2 days of my challenge.  I'm not rethinking my long runs, I enjoy them.  And I'm not even sure what the point of this post is other than it made me realize that some goals may end up competing with each other so I need to decide how to mesh them or at a minimum, prioritize them.

I did IF yesterday, did a recover run and plan to jump back in to my challenge today.  The good news is after all that I did drop a little weight but not sure I'm any closer with Operation Six Pack.

Great work in here by DW, ew, krista, boot, Bass and others I'm forgetting.  Oh, and GB Otis.

LET'S GO!!!!
I really admire your diligence, but overtraining may sabotage your goals. 

I say this as a guy who watched what he ate, lifted heavy weights and ran 6 miles daily, six days a week for years. But that was in my twenties. Fast forward 20 years, and I can't imagine keeping that schedule without destroying my joints. I still try to exercise most days of the week, but I don't lift or do anything high intensity, as I've had too many elbow/shoulder/low back problems from overdoing it in my youth.

As you age, you need to give your body more time to recover, and you're already burning the candle at both ends by restricting nutrient intake while simultaneously ramping up your activity level. I'd scale back the exercise routine a bit, before you injure yourself.

LET'S GO!!!!
You did the right thing listening to your body. Sounds like classic overtraining

You can get back to it, but you might need to scale back a little. Also, same as you didn't lose all your weight at once, the abs won't come instantly either. Also keep in mind, the only way you see abs is by eliminating the overlying fat which may take a really long time and may never happen. Given your substantial weight loss, this is going to take you a lot longer than someone else.

Keep at it, though, and keep listening to your body.

LET'S GO!!!!
218.6 this morning so up 2 pounds. Good news is the abs are already peaking thru. Back on the workout train tonight

LET'S GO!!!!
I skipped my first morning ride and treadmill time in over 107 days this Monday.  I had a hearing involving the upcoming election and went into work at 4:00AM for a bit more prep.  (I won).  Back at it yesterday and today.  Ate correctly over the weekend and really, since I started, but I did eat too much, maybe, this weekend (T-bones were on sale and I had one for lunch and again for dinner).  It will be interesting to get on the scale tomorrow.

some goals may end up competing with each other so I need to decide how to mesh them or at a minimum, prioritize them.
:yes:

All about priorities, but everything we do feeds into other things we do - or don't do. You can get stronger, faster, or slimmer. But not all three simultaneously. Pick one then use the other goals to compliment. Then after 6-8 weeks feel free to switch up the priorities, similar approach - pick one then use the other two to compliment.

I know it seems like my focus is heavily slanted towards (hard) running, but it really isn't - at least not all the time. I'd probably break if that were the case. I mentioned before that I go through a couple of strength building cycles each year. I know I'm going to gain weight during this period, but I just try to avoid it being too much. Priority is the weights, I generally only run at easy efforts and rarely long distances, then I fuel based on what my body needs for the next lift. I also usually go through at least one slim-down phase. I didn't this year, but it wasn't by design; my metabolism just isn't what it was a year ago. During that phase I'll still lift and run, but rarely beyond easy effort so I don't need as much fueling to get ready for the next session. Right now is my comfort zone (sort of) - it's running focused with easy lifting to compliment and the fueling priority is getting my body ready for the next priority workout. I say 'sort of' because this 16/8 IF on easy days like today is foreign territory. Seems to be going well though.

I really admire your diligence, but overtraining may sabotage your goals. 

You did the right thing listening to your body. Sounds like classic overtraining
I think you are both right and why I took a couple days off from the routine.  I was really focusing on sleep thinking that would help and it did some but not sure enough.   I’m going to continue to focus on sleep and rest and more importantly stretching and flexibility- I think that is my biggest weakness right now.

Day 31:

- 20,075 Steps (4 miles running)

- 200 push-ups 

- 250 squats

- 250 abs (50 Flutter kicks; 50 leg lifts; 50 crunches;  50 mountain climbers; 50 teasers)

- Stretching - CHECK

- 100 oz of water - CHECK

- Sleep - CHECK MINUS

I think you are both right and why I took a couple days off from the routine.  I was really focusing on sleep thinking that would help and it did some but not sure enough.   I’m going to continue to focus on sleep and rest and more importantly stretching and flexibility- I think that is my biggest weakness right now.
Remember that the most important part of any workout is the recovery. That's when all the magic happens.

If you do weight lifting, you are tearing muscle fibers. Your muscles get bigger and stronger when they repair those tears. That requires rest and nutrition. Without those, you are only hurting yourself.  It's an absolute requirement.

Same with a hard run workout. The rest/recovery days allow your body to adapt to the changes from the workout. Without it, you lose the benefit.

I’ve not lifted any during this - just body weight exercises.  I like Mac’s idea of focus on weights and plan to stop at Thanksgiving and then see - most likely take some or all of that week off from running and then hit the weights in January when the sucky weather comes.

I’ve not lifted any during this - just body weight exercises.  I like Mac’s idea of focus on weights and plan to stop at Thanksgiving and then see - most likely take some or all of that week off from running and then hit the weights in January when the sucky weather comes.
Yeah, those mild winters you have sound brutal.  May even need to put on a long sleeve  :lol:

You are still doing strength training, which is the same thing. The pushup is weight lifting: you are using your body as the weight. Same with squats, etc. 

That's why you'll get more bang for your buck if you alternate days. 

24.7%

[OSTART 9/16/19 at 240.1, 26.1% — so averaging just over 2lbs per week]

Bam!  220s.  What’s odd is I did it despite a crummy week where I traveled, ate some junk, and drank real alcohol a couple nights. It’s like my body is on track and paying dividends for recent weeks. 

I have kept up with the running and the distance is getting a little better each time. I’d like to get to the point where I’m running a 5k three times a week, and lifting 2-3 days a week. Hard in the work travel weeks, but otherwise doable. I will say, my knees and bum ankle were a little sore my last couple runs. Need to keep an eye on that. As I continue to lose weight, that can only help. 

Looking for a good reasonable weekend, so the march down to 225 can continue next week. 

24.7%

Bam!  220s.  What’s odd is I did it despite a crummy week where I traveled, ate some junk, and drank real alcohol a couple nights. It’s like my body is on track and paying dividends for recent weeks. 

I have kept up with the running and the distance is getting a little better each time. I’d like to get to the point where I’m running a 5k three times a week, and lifting 2-3 days a week. Hard in the work travel weeks, but otherwise doable. I will say, my knees and bum ankle were a little sore my last couple runs. Need to keep an eye on that. As I continue to lose weight, that can only help. 

Looking for a good reasonable weekend, so the march down to 225 can continue next week. 
You may get there simply by crapping out those cheese curds.  They tend to stay in you for a few days, weighing you down.  have some roughage and some water and watch that weight fall right off.  When they finally stop clinging to your intestines they will pull other stuff off with them, be prepared, have matches and a candle at the ready.  Anticipate it and have that candle pre-lit.  Godspeed Otis.

24.7%

1) congratulations on a major milestone. Getting back into the 220s is a huge accomplishment. Genuinely proud of you. 

2) the awesome thing about cardio is you burn a lot more calories than weight lifting, and following a program like c25k, the more you do it, the more running you're doing vs walking, so it really accelerates. 

3) that said, if you're feeling any ankle or knee pain, just take a day off. Or do all walking, no running.  Your body is telling you no. You're not in your twenties, you're not training for a race, there's no reason to fight through the pain.  The reason c25k works is because it gradually ramps up to avoid injuries. 

4) the rule of thumb for increasing your mileage is usually ten percent per week. So if you're doing 10 miles, you can safely increase to 11. But if you're doing .5 miles you can increase to...  .55?  That doesn't seem like much.  This is when we all cheat, and increase by too much at once. 

Don't be that guy. You're old and fat.  It doesn't matter what you used to be able to do. There's no prize for overdoing it. The prize for listening to your body is healthier knees and joints.  It ####### blows having knee pain and not being able to walk up stairs without holding a railing.  Do. Not. Overdo. It.

5) if you want to continue to improve at running but your ankles or knees are bothering you, look up exercises for runners.  Lower abs, legs, stretching, etc..  

6) try standing on one of those blue bull#### half ball things. Balance on one foot without touching anything. Do it for fifteen seconds then switch.  Then balance on your left foot with your right foot slightly raised.  Tap your right foot at twelve o clock, then return to center.  Then 3 o clock, back to center.  Then 6 o clock, back to center.  Switch legs and do 12, 9, 6. Wherever you're weakest is where you'll feel it - you've got a million little stabilizer muscles in your legs you don't know about.  The more you do these, the more you're working them.  Gradually increase as you feel stronger - go from 12 to 3 to 6 back to 3 to 12, do more reps, hold a weight in each hand, or use an ankle weight, etc..   

I'm not a doctor or trainer and this is not medical advice. Consult your physician before beginning any exercise program.  

Yeah, those mild winters you have sound brutal.  May even need to put on a long sleeve  :lol:
I can't help it you people are nuts.  ;)

It really is a catch-22 for me.  I admit I'm a pansy and can't take the cold but I'm also not a fan of bundling up and trying to run.  But I don't want to belabor the point - we've discussed it a ton.

I will make this last point - for the first time I can ever remember when I did my long run last Saturday I felt like I was overheating even though the temperature wasn't too bad.  I definitely had that kind of a-ha moment thinking this is what these guys are talking about.  I mean when I'm running in the 80-90 degree heat it's obvious.  I just need to figure out how to be comfortable enough when starting out.

232.5 this morning.

Been putting in 12 hour days over the past week so have been hitting McDonalds for a coffee and Egg McMuffin. There's not a ton of calories, but the sodium isn't something I'm crazy about.

In three months and two days, I'm down 60.6 pounds. Have had to replace a bit of my wardrobe. 42" pants don't work anymore and 40" are too big, but work with a belt. 7.5 more pounds to get to my married weight of 225 (and the lowest I've been in 8 years or so).

232.5 this morning.

Been putting in 12 hour days over the past week so have been hitting McDonalds for a coffee and Egg McMuffin. There's not a ton of calories, but the sodium isn't something I'm crazy about.

In three months and two days, I'm down 60.6 pounds. Have had to replace a bit of my wardrobe. 42" pants don't work anymore and 40" are too big, but work with a belt. 7.5 more pounds to get to my married weight of 225 (and the lowest I've been in 8 years or so).
Incredible 

232.5 this morning.

In three months and two days, I'm down 60.6 pounds. Have had to replace a bit of my wardrobe. 42" pants don't work anymore and 40" are too big, but work with a belt. 7.5 more pounds to get to my married weight of 225 (and the lowest I've been in 8 years or so).
Man, awesome work. I need to read back on what you are doing and take notes. Keep it up. 

Gawain said:
232.5 this morning.

Awesome Gawain - one recommendation is try not to buy too many clothes until you get to your goal weight.  I just recently had to buy some 30" pants (LOOK AT ME!) and now have some 34" pants that got little wear to box up.

I had two slices of pizza for lunch today.  And a Bud Select 55.  Normally that would be the start of an afternoon of eating and drinking.  

But now?  Instead, late afternoon went and ran/walked 3.3 miles.  Came back.  Had a light/healthy dinner, some evening snacks, and white wine spritzers.  To bed early, will get up in the morning and hit the weights.

I had two slices of pizza for lunch today.  And a Bud Select 55.  Normally that would be the start of an afternoon of eating and drinking.  

But now?  Instead, late afternoon went and ran/walked 3.3 miles.  Came back.  Had a light/healthy dinner, some evening snacks, and white wine spritzers.  To bed early, will get up in the morning and hit the weights.
How do you feel?

How do you feel?
Great. Just wish I’d have done this a year earlier. Or several. 

I will say, knees still sore. Lots of soreness when I went to bed and tried to sleep. I’m taking it as BF suggested, just a matter of all those stabilizing muscles and tendons and ligaments adjusting, and not anything about the joints specifically. Will be keeping an eye on it though and making sure I’m getting the rest days I need. 

I will say, knees still sore. Lots of soreness when I went to bed and tried to sleep. I’m taking it as BF suggested, just a matter of all those stabilizing muscles and tendons and ligaments adjusting, and not anything about the joints specifically. Will be keeping an eye on it though and making sure I’m getting the rest days I need. 
Are you running on the sidewalk or roads? Try softer surfaces like a trail or track.

Yes sidewalk and roads. I guess I could drive over to the high school track and run there. Feels like a PIA though. No trails around here. 
Believe me, I get it - it is a PITA and I’m not a hotshot lawyer with 3 young kids so I have the time to do it.  But, at my age (45) - if I run on roads or sidewalks my knees almost always hurt the next day.  Not to mention trail running is awesome.

Yes sidewalk and roads. I guess I could drive over to the high school track and run there. Feels like a PIA though. No trails around here. 
You don't have to do that just yet.

First, take it slow as BF said. No race. Second, read and watch a little on running form. I can link a few things here if you want. Some basic things you can make sure you're doing when you run will likely help eliminate discomfort.

Sunday morning run in the books.  Slowly increasing my pace and running more of the distance. 
I ear marked this post when I read it - too much, too fast, too soon is how most new to running end up on the shelf. A good running regimen is built around restraint, no matter your experience. I know you can run faster, but right now you shouldn't. There will be a time to increase the pace and derive more benefits, but not til your body's ready for it.

You don't have to do that just yet.

First, take it slow as BF said. No race. Second, read and watch a little on running form. I can link a few things here if you want. Some basic things you can make sure you're doing when you run will likely help eliminate discomfort.
Would be curious to see that if you have anything.  I always figured running was just running, never bothered with form.  Maybe this will help.

I ear marked this post when I read it - too much, too fast, too soon is how most new to running end up on the shelf. A good running regimen is built around restraint, no matter your experience. I know you can run faster, but right now you shouldn't. There will be a time to increase the pace and derive more benefits, but not til your body's ready for it.
This is super good advice.  There is nothing more infuriating than wanting to get out and run but you can't b/c of an injury --- this is way more frustrating than having to back off on distance or speed to remain healthy.

Would be curious to see that if you have anything.  I always figured running was just running, never bothered with form.  Maybe this will help.
Read this for basics

One of the biggest things is overstriding. You want to make sure your foot is underneath you when you land. If it's out in front, you are essentially braking with every step and sending a jolt into your muscles and joints with every step. 

One of the best ways I've found to help with this is to think of running as quietly as possible. 

I'll pull up some pictures and/or video later on to help with this.

Read this for basics

One of the biggest things is overstriding. You want me to make sure your foot is underneath you when you land. If it's out in front, you are essentially braking with every step and sending a jolt into your muscles and joints with every step. 

One of the best ways I've found to help with this is to think of running as quietly as possible. 

:popcorn:

I'm really hoping the pics/video are of  @gianmarco in action  :excited:

230.8 today after a weekend of basically just doing whatever I want, but reasonably so, which is my new MO. 

Lowest Monday weigh-in so far, which means we're headed the right direction (lowest Monday before that was last week, 232.6).

Would like to clock in at 228 next Monday, and perhaps hit 226-227 some time later this week.

Read this for basics

One of the biggest things is overstriding. You want me to make sure your foot is underneath you when you land. If it's out in front, you are essentially braking with every step and sending a jolt into your muscles and joints with every step. 

Yep. And @Otis - think smaller, shorter steps. You will take more of them, but you aren't putting nearly the jolting strike on each leg, as gian noted above. 

Read this for basics

One of the biggest things is overstriding. You want to make sure your foot is underneath you when you land. If it's out in front, you are essentially braking with every step and sending a jolt into your muscles and joints with every step. 

Picture illustration

Running form video

Otis said:

listen to BF.  he's spot on.  i'm a little older than you, weigh 50lbs less than you ;)   i am shorter and don't have those hands. ;)   i've skied all my life and my knees ####### kill me, mostly due to obliterated meniscus's (menisci?)  left outer ankle and foot are none too happy either.  that's the ACL replacement side.  messing up your lower extremities compounds itself up the body.  into hip, back, etc.  keep those knees and ankles happy.

bikram yoga saying:  you can mess with the gods, but don't mess with your knees.

Users who are viewing this thread