What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

I’m at 3:40 planking, but it’s getting unbearably difficult. Anyone else sharing the pain?
I’m not doing the “hold one plank” but instead the program with different kinds of planks.  Two days ago, after several days of about five minutes in total planks, it suddenly jumped to seven minutes.  Thought I might die.  Not excited to see what Day 24 has in store today.

3:40 in one plank is seriously impressive, btw.

Can't help but notice decreased activity on the whole in this thread of late. If that's you then don't ask for a second helping, if you must have dessert make sure it is small, and keep the booze from getting out of control. Then get back into a routine Friday. Not Monday. This is the time of year most get fat. Don't be a statistic. 

Can't help but notice decreased activity on the whole in this thread of late. If that's you then don't ask for a second helping, if you must have dessert make sure it is small, and keep the booze from getting out of control. Then get back into a routine Friday. Not Monday. This is the time of year most get fat. Don't be a statistic. 
I'm still bouncing between 199 and 201.   I head out to play flag football in 15 minutes.   Today will be a successful weight day.  

I'm kicking off an ambitious 7 day challenge.

Just got off the treadmill and burnt about 500 calories.  I'm used to about 2000 net calories a day, but maintenance is closer to 2500. My goal today is to go about 1000 over,  so that's about 4000 calories. 

I don't know if I'll be able to do it unless i eat some pie. Turkey and vegetables won't get it done even if I go back for seconds.  I'm used to 2000 calories so this is two days of food in one day. I've got an emergency apple crisp pie if needed. 

The harder part will be knocking back another 3500 tomorrow with no exercise. But there's going to be leftovers and i know my body it won't want me to run. You have to pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Then I'll wipe out the remaining leftovers and shoot for an almost equally absurd 3000 on Saturday and try to squeeze in a wheezy fat guy run. 

Then I'm back to my usual 2000 net calories a day the rest of the week.

That's my 7 days, no guilt, no weight gain strategy.  

Despite Mac’s advice, I’ll be starting a new 100 day challenge on Monday if anyone wants to play along. Same parameters, but this time I’m eating clean.

I’m spending the week getting fat

Could you remind me what the parameters are?
I did a minimum of 20mins of elevated HR per day (was usually over 30). My normal activity didn’t count, so even if I worked a shift where I hit 10k steps, I had to have something extra for it to qualify. I ended up swimming, running, lifting weights, and doing yoga. Every day that I did it, I transferred $10 into a separate bank account, so at the end I would theoretically have $1000 to blow on something fun (I finished at $990). I just wanted an amount that was meaningful, but that wouldn’t break the bank, so ymmv as to how much, if any, you want to commit on a daily basis.

I blew the doors off it today!!!!

Diet still meh but 100% working out now

Had a 2 mile run this morning

I did a minimum of 20mins of elevated HR per day (was usually over 30). My normal activity didn’t count, so even if I worked a shift where I hit 10k steps, I had to have something extra for it to qualify. I ended up swimming, running, lifting weights, and doing yoga. Every day that I did it, I transferred $10 into a separate bank account, so at the end I would theoretically have $1000 to blow on something fun (I finished at $990). I just wanted an amount that was meaningful, but that wouldn’t break the bank, so ymmv as to how much, if any, you want to commit on a daily basis.
Ok, I can do that.  In!  I probably won't post about my efforts every day since they will be boring compared to yours.  I'll almost always be doing either my incline trainer or hiking.  I guess some snowshoeing now, too, since it's almost the season.  And I don't think I'll do the money part.  But I'll check in now and then to confirm I'm still on track with the daily goals.   :)  

What did you do with the money from the first one?

Actually, one of the regulars in the running thread, and who's had some long-lingering injuries, posted a video and we picked it apart ...and seemed to have helped to address one of his recurring injuries. :shrug:    :nerd:  
I'm sure you guys could help, but I just wanted Otis to do it for shtick.   :)  

Ok, I can do that.  In!  I probably won't post about my efforts every day since they will be boring compared to yours.  I'll almost always be doing either my incline trainer or hiking.  I guess some snowshoeing now, too, since it's almost the season.  And I don't think I'll do the money part.  But I'll check in now and then to confirm I'm still on track with the daily goals.   :)  

What did you do with the money from the first one?
My daughter and I did a sports trifecta of Ohio State vs Penn State, Browns vs Dolphins, and Cavs vs Nets, on 3 consecutive days. This was all this past weekend. Was probably the best and most memorable trip that she and I have ever had.

My daughter and I did a sports trifecta of Ohio State vs Penn State, Browns vs Dolphins, and Cavs vs Nets, on 3 consecutive days. This was all this past weekend. Was probably the best and most memorable trip that she and I have ever had.
WOW!!!  That is amazing!

Yes we could; and yes we do too! 

(We really do enjoy helping newbies develop their running habits and skills and then to see their progression.)
So I'm still resting this bum knee, but actually thinking my path forward here may be that I need to lose 20lbs before I can really make progress running.  Very unfortunate chicken-and-egg scenario here, but I fear the only way I'll be able to do the running and not have to stop every other week with a knee ailment is if I'm lighter.  Of course that means I'll have to figure out a way to lose the weight without the running.  Which, so it turns out, has been challenging for me...

So I'm still resting this bum knee, but actually thinking my path forward here may be that I need to lose 20lbs before I can really make progress running.  Very unfortunate chicken-and-egg scenario here, but I fear the only way I'll be able to do the running and not have to stop every other week with a knee ailment is if I'm lighter.  Of course that means I'll have to figure out a way to lose the weight without the running.  Which, so it turns out, has been challenging for me...
No, it's not really your path forward. Plenty of overweight people successfully run. 

You should:

1) As was already recommended a few times, go to a local running store and let someone look at how you walk/jog and give you a few options that would work best. This is better than ordering various shoes online. If you want to get into running and do it long term, the most important investment is your shoes. You likely only have to make this half hour-1 hour investment once. You don't even have to buy the shoes then.

2) As was also already recommended, go to a doctor to get an opinion on your actual pain and figure out if it's a real injury that needs addressing or not. Perhaps there's a legit issue. If not, then you can be reassured you can move forward.

Both of the above will go a long way to giving you the information you need about what's holding you back and whether or not you can get out there now and push through it or you need to take time off to heal. Even better, you may get recommendations on how to eliminate the discomfort completely. 

Finally, running isn't going to be a huge weight loss tool. It's a great tool to get you healthier and cardiovascularly fit. You may lose a bit of weight at first, but diet/drinking is still your main path to losing weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not really your path forward. Plenty of overweight people successfully run. 

You should:

1) As was already recommended a few times, go to a local running store and let someone look at how you walk/jog and give you a few options that would work best. This is better than ordering various shoes online. If you want to get into running and do it long term, the most important investment is your shoes. You likely only have to make this half hour-1 hour investment once. You don't even have to buy the shoes then.

2) As was also already recommended, go to a doctor to get an opinion on your actual pain and figure out if it's a real injury that needs addressing or not. Perhaps there's a legit issue. If not, then you can be reassured you can move forward.

Both of the above will go a long way to giving you the information you need about what's holding you back and whether or not you can get out there now and push through it or you need to take time off to heal. Even better, you may get recommendations on how to eliminate the discomfort completely. 

Finally, running isn't going to be a huge weight loss tool. It's a great tool to get you healthier and cardiovascularly fit. You may lose a bit of weight at first, but diet/drinking is still your main path to losing weight.
The NB shoes I’ve got feel great. I really feel good with where I am on shoes.  

Made a doctors appointment with a knee guy, earliest I could get is January. Bummer. But I figure either it’ll be healed by then and I’ll be ok to cancel it, or the problem will keep recurring in which case I’ll go see him and get an MRI and see what’s what. 

Of course I understand diet matters most, but I also believe if I do all else as I have been but shave 500 calories a day running, I’ll end up losing the weight I want to lose.  And as others have noted, the running tends to help you feel more obligated to eat well and drink less. It’s all interrelated. 

Oh and I bought a vertical climber and a rowing machine for the basement. Should be delivered soon. Maybe these will help. 

The NB shoes I’ve got feel great. I really feel good with where I am on shoes.  

Made a doctors appointment with a knee guy, earliest I could get is January. Bummer. But I figure either it’ll be healed by then and I’ll be ok to cancel it, or the problem will keep recurring in which case I’ll go see him and get an MRI and see what’s what. 

Of course I understand diet matters most, but I also believe if I do all else as I have been but shave 500 calories a day running, I’ll end up losing the weight I want to lose.  And as others have noted, the running tends to help you feel more obligated to eat well and drink less. It’s all interrelated. 
Good work.

Even with the NB shoes feeling good, just go to the store. It's filled with runners. They can see you and offer some great feedback. It's such a small time investment. They may look at you jog and give you a quick pointer that helps eliminate your pain. You'd be amazed at how much other runners want to see you succeed.

Or post the video here and let some of these guys give you feedback.

I hear elipticals are easy on the knees....

;)

I just recently went to a Fleet Feet store that 3D imaged my feet and they watched/videoed me running on a treadmill (link to the 3D image is in the 10k thread).  I had nice cushiony and light shoes, but after seeing my feet shape (high arches and proportonally wider at the forefoot than atthe heel) they got me into some heavier/sturdier/wider shoes and got me an insert with better arch support.  

These shoes plus actively working on my running form have significantly reduced knee and feet pain in just a week.  

Oh and I bought a vertical climber and a rowing machine for the basement. Should be delivered soon. Maybe these will help. 
You keep trying if nothing else.   Cardio exercises are good for your health but if you want to lose weight, consume less calories consistently for a few months .   You will lose weight.   You are overthinking this.   

Take it to the running thread, nerds.

Oats I'm fat out of shape and old....I still haven't done well with my diet but I'm running 2 days a week soon to be 3. It's not fast but my fatness is not causing injury

7 day challenge update

Thanksgiving  start

Friday 4000 calories plus 2.6

Saturday 3500 calories no exercise

Sunday 3000 calories with 2 miles running

Monday 2000 net calories

Tuesday 2000 net calories

Wednesday 2000 net calories

Thursday 2000 net calories

Rowing challenge? I’ve been meaning to get mine setup again. 

This is the ‘plan’ I’ve attempted in the past: https://quantifiedrowing.com/2016/12/26/the-john-plan-an-erg-training-plan-for-people-with-very-little-time/
Ohhh. I love the idea of a rowing challenge. 

I rowed crew in college. We used to erg till we were near puking. Best shape of my life. That was a lifetime ago...

I got what seemed to be a decent cheap erg — it’s a Concept 2 that had high ratings on Amazon and cost about a grand. 

I've actually been thinking about getting one of these ...seems like a great way to build leg/hip strength during the winter months.  Lemme know how you like it.

Rowing challenge? I’ve been meaning to get mine setup again. 

This is the ‘plan’ I’ve attempted in the past: https://quantifiedrowing.com/2016/12/26/the-john-plan-an-erg-training-plan-for-people-with-very-little-time/
@eaganwildcats let me know when you’re ready to start a challenge. Maybe we can just do something simple like number of days in a row, total distance, etc. 

I came across this plan in some web research, which I kind of like for its simplicity. 

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

I did Tecumseh Challenge Day One today, and then realized he's not starting until Monday.  Oops.  Anyway, did my Day 25 of planks (seven minutes total - OUCH) and an hour of my incline trainer at 20% incline.

I'm also doing a team challenge today through the end of February.  The level I intend to do requires me to get three miles every day; you could also choose one or five miles a day.  Averaging three a day seems easy enough, but if you don't hit the goal on even one day, you're out.  With a totally sedentary job, getting three each day for over three months is more challenging.  Given it's a team challenge, though, there's NFW I won't do it.  Letting myself down would be OK, but letting others down isn't an option.

Three trips across the country and back in December are going to make everything harder, too.  Oh well.

I'm here to rededicate myself to getting healthy and in shape, starting Monday, of course.

Getting old is the suck.  Had to visit the doctor on Wednesday to get a diagnosis on plantar fasciitis.  Struggling to walk is no way to go through life.

Gonna kill time on my five hour road trip tomorrow by game planning my fitness future.

I'm down with team challenges, whatever they may entail.

For anyone who weighs between 210 and 255 looking for a challenge, here's one:

If you're 229 by 2/29

There are 13 weels between now and the end of February.  In theory you can lose two pounds a week so if you're 255 or less this is a realistic goal. And it's a leap year so you get an extra day AND an extra pound.

If you're closer to 220 then 201 by 2/01 works too. That's about 2/wk for ten weeks.

Let's make this a thing.  

Rowing machine looks solid, we'll keep it a while.

Vertical climber is a POS and too tall to fit in our basement.  You're welcome to pick it up.
So...are you off running?  I get you have had some issues with the knee, but 2 weeks and out and then on to something new seems to be your thing.

Just hoping you aren't giving up on running since you have had a hiccup.

So...are you off running?  I get you have had some issues with the knee, but 2 weeks and out and then on to something new seems to be your thing.

Just hoping you aren't giving up on running since you have had a hiccup.
Oh no, not giving up on running. Just trying to have something I can do cardio wise if this on again/off again knee issue persists for a while. 

knee was sore this morning but feeling better this evening, maybe I’ll be able to give it a go this weekend. If not I’ll be up early for a rowing session on the days I can’t run. Also thinking at a minimum I can mix in rowing on running off days to ease in better, not put so much on the knee too soon, but still work on cardio those days. 

@eaganwildcats let me know when you’re ready to start a challenge. Maybe we can just do something simple like number of days in a row, total distance, etc. 

I came across this plan in some web research, which I kind of like for its simplicity. 

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/
I would propose a Sunday start. My proposal:

Goal is 100K meters by the end of the year. Comes out to somewhere around 3300 meters per day. How one gets there (steady-state, intervals, short sessions, long sessions, etc.) matters not. 

To make it interesting:

• For every meter below 100K we pay a cent to the charity of one another's choosing. Unless my math is wrong (possible) if we do nothing we each owe a grand - get to 75,000 meters, $250 bucks, etc.
  • Loser either posts a running video or a shot video. 

eaganwildcats said:
I would propose a Sunday start. My proposal:

Goal is 100K meters by the end of the year. Comes out to somewhere around 3300 meters per day. How one gets there (steady-state, intervals, short sessions, long sessions, etc.) matters not. 

To make it interesting:

• For every meter below 100K we pay a cent to the charity of one another's choosing. Unless my math is wrong (possible) if we do nothing we each owe a grand - get to 75,000 meters, $250 bucks, etc.
  • Loser either posts a running video or a shot video. 
I like this.  Only catch for me is it I’m running three times a week, I’ll have to double that daily distance. But might as well push myself. 

Start tomorrow, so it’s just the full month of December?

7 day challenge update

Thanksgiving  start

Friday 4000 calories plus 2.6

Saturday 3500 calories no exercise plus 4.8

Sunday 3000 calories with 2 miles running

Monday 2000 net calories

Tuesday 2000 net calories

Wednesday 2000 net calories

Thursday 2000 net calories

So far so good.  This has been one of the easiest challenges I've undertaken so far. I have a feeling it will get more difficult as I am now out of pie and the calorie restrictions change drastically tomorrow but i think i can do this

I like this.  Only catch for me is it I’m running three times a week, I’ll have to double that daily distance. But might as well push myself. 

You're going to double your daily mileage when you're already having knee problems?  Maybe you should ask Santa for one of these

Works for me. Easy solution to your problem - don’t run until January. Once we have lost 10+ pounds rowing it will be easier on the ol’ joints. Plus the added bonus that running is awful so not doing it is great.  

You have the Model D?

Works for me. Easy solution to your problem - don’t run until January. Once we have lost 10+ pounds rowing it will be easier on the ol’ joints. Plus the added bonus that running is awful so not doing it is great.  

You have the Model D?
Yes!  Same as you?  Haven’t done a workout on it yet, tomorrow will be the first one. 

Also already confirmed my Garmin 945 has an indoor rowing exercise track capability too. I assume it’ll also auto upload to Strava. We’ll see how well it works. 

I’ve returned to running after a long hiatus. Can’t really bike as much in the winter here. Word is you need some Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next % to be any good. 

Users who are viewing this thread