What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

@krista4 -- so now that you've reached your goal, now what?

Going to set another more aggressive goal?  (Which you'd promptly beat in a week, I can't imagine you really should be losing much more weight).

Change your habits in some way to go to "maintenance mode"?

Still going to do WW?

It must feel incredibly good and rewarding to have made goal.  Congratulations.  Enjoy it.
I'm sitting at 38.6 lost as of this morning and think I'm going for another nine pounds.  That would make the second digit of my weight very pleasing.  I'm going for Mrs. O-level teensy-ness.  :wub:   I'll probably stay on WW for a while.  They do have a maintenance mode where I believe I'll get another whopping five points per day.  I'd like to continue to use it just to keep up the habit of being very mindful about what I'm eating and drinking.  Once it all comes naturally I'll go off it.

You can’t imagine how disappointed I was this wasn’t a feet on scale pic.

#nopervert

#bitemekeerock
Funny not funny story about feet.  I was supposed to have left for a business trip in the wee hours of Monday morning (ended up getting canceled due to snow), so I had set out the scale on Sunday night so I wouldn't forget to weigh in my early-morning fog.  Of course, I got up to pee in the middle of the night and promptly whacked my foot into the scale, breaking one of my toes.  So I do have recent pictures of my right foot!   Losing weight can be dangerous!

Some folks are killing it in 2020 already.   It's mid-Jan and Oats is still losing weight.   That has to be a record.   K4 reached her goal weight so early in the year that she has nothing left to do but rank Beatles songs again.   It's not like she takes time to eat any longer   
:lmao:  

:slowlyslidesjeansbackup:

@krista4
I thought of you yesterday, because I was contemplating when to buy new clothes as my pants are constantly falling down.

I know you've all bookmarked Outlook for this one... Excellent tech recommendation here, for those that run outdoors you should pay attention too:

Aftershokz Xtrainerz

Amazing bone conduction headphones, they work on vibration so not actually inside your ears, they sit between your temple and the edge of your ear. Sound quality is excellent, but your ears are uncovered, so if you're running outdoors, you can hear your surroundings clearly too. Completely waterproof, feels like it is built well, and very comfortable. I've gone on 5 swims so far on the same charge, it is rated to 8 hours, feels like it should get there. I like using silicone molded ear plugs for swimming and hear music loud and crystal clear underwater, and again, so comfortable and easy to use (1 2 3). 

Here are the cons; if you're attached to your phone, these aren't for you, it isn't bluetooth, strictly an MP3 player (the Delphin I purchased in the OP is sort of like a mini tablet, which I wish somehow this had the capabilities of). You load your music from your computer. My personal music source is Amazon Unlimited, which lets me take music offline, but only through their App, there are obviously no apps for an MP3, so I'm buying about 100 strictly workout songs that I'm loading directly into the unit (can hold 1,200 songs if you own a ton of music already, simple drag and drop operation here). It was about $100 cheaper than the Delphin, so that cost almost evens out for the 100 songs. I've found the interface and setting up folders doesn't work so well. In example, I connected it to a MacPro and erased the 4 songs that came preloaded on it in the folder, but they're still on the MP3, this should've erased those songs, but it hasn't. The files I uploaded can't rewind to the previous song either, I can only fast forward, need to solve that too. 

Anyways, if you own a healthy amount of music and run outdoors, these are prob a good purchase if you can drop your phone for an hour. If you swim, you should 100% buy these - I swim almost an hour a day on these things and my body feels awesome after the pool, easily capable of taking on weight training afterwards. Personally, I found sticking a headphone into my ear underwater highly uncomfortable, but if it doesn't bother you, then the Delphin could work too, while having a better interface to control your music. 
Yeah but do you even row bro?

@culdeus I don’t like it so pretty sure I’ve never even finished a ‘game’. 

Jan 18 row: 10k in 42:40 avg hr 155

Jan Total: 171,282

Sister-in-law is in town so cheat night tonight.  :banned:  

Waiting for the update @Otis those bud selects ain’t going to burn themself off. 

I might have to try out a 5k row to see what I can do. It's been a minute since I rowed but with all the running I've been doing, curious how I could do. I have done sub 20 minutes a couple years or so. I'm in better shape now, but I was rowing regularly then... 

krista4 said:
I'm sitting at 38.6 lost as of this morning and think I'm going for another nine pounds.  That would make the second digit of my weight very pleasing.  I'm going for Mrs. O-level teensy-ness.  :wub:   I'll probably stay on WW for a while.  They do have a maintenance mode where I believe I'll get another whopping five points per day.  I'd like to continue to use it just to keep up the habit of being very mindful about what I'm eating and drinking.  Once it all comes naturally I'll go off it.
Be careful.  Women have more difficult times keeping in maintenance.  Men get a load of estrogen from fat so losing weight pushes the balance towards testosterone which eases the transition.  

Go in with the expectation you will need to eat to your cutting level at least another 6 months and expect some rebound periods to extend 2-6 years from now requiring harder cuts.      Years.  

The rapid nature of how you did this likely makes 6 years more realistic.  

This timeframe is usually the time a recomp can happen for women but that requires a higher level of commitment. 

The red flags so to speak would be losing your period.  

Did a 5k run at 28:45 which is a good time for me, then followed with a light 2k row in 9:44. 

I think my rowing version of couch to 5k will look something like a couple 500m sprints one day,  a slow 2k the next, with the occasional fast 2k and a slow 5k maybe once or twice a week.  Right now my hands and upper body endurance are a limiting factor so my goal will be for 5k rowing to be "normal" before I start to increase distance, and do some speed work along the way to try to get my splits into the low 2 min range before i try for a slow 6k, 7k, etc.  

eaganwildcats said:
@culdeus I don’t like it so pretty sure I’ve never even finished a ‘game’. 

Jan 18 row: 10k in 42:40 avg hr 155

Jan Total: 171,282

Sister-in-law is in town so cheat night tonight.  :banned:  

Waiting for the update @Otis those bud selects ain’t going to burn themself off. 
Off day today. We mere mortals can’t do 7 days a week. Slept in till 6:30, watched the kids while Mrs O went to barre class, then running around with the fam. Back at it tomorrow with at least a 10k, maybe I’ll just do an hour, especially since tomorrow night is a planned night of drinking. 

krista4 said:
I'm sitting at 38.6 lost as of this morning and think I'm going for another nine pounds.  That would make the second digit of my weight very pleasing.  I'm going for Mrs. O-level teensy-ness:wub:
:wub:

Rowtis Stats

Jan 19 Row: 15k MAF (1:10:43 avg. HR 135; 947 cals)

January total: 137,017m

Had a donut last night for dessert. Old Otis would have figured the night was shot and proceeded to pour wine, open a second bottle of wine, and have a couple more donuts. New Otis drank water last night, woke up, and rowed 15k. 

suck it fat Otis!

And I should note, I would have loved to go for 20k, except for my ### killing me and leg falling asleep. I actually got up at the 1 hour mark to throw a cushion on the seat, and popped back down and kept going. But I was nearing the end. I’ll do 20k some day soon. 

And I should note, I would have loved to go for 20k, except for my ### killing me and leg falling asleep. I actually got up at the 1 hour mark to throw a cushion on the seat, and popped back down and kept going. But I was nearing the end. I’ll do 20k some day soon. 
Crushing it. 21,098 is a half marathon which could be something to shoot for. 

Otis said:
Yeah but do you even row bro?
I jump out of the boat and swim, the stronger the current the better bruh.

In all seriousness, been swimming like a monster (almost 2 miles this morning), lifting (bro), and eating sensibly. No special diet or any gimmicks.

Today (on the diet side) is going to be compete and utter chaos though.

GO NINERS!!

I was curious to know how rowing compares to running as an exercise. All sources seem to agree that running burns a little more in the way of calories (not a dramatic amount more, but more), but that calorie difference is offset by the strength and muscle building/upper body toning benefits of rowing.  According to one experiment, rowing activates 85% of the muscle mass in your body. It’s great for toning your midsection, back, shoulders and arms, in addition to your legs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was curious to know how rowing compares to running as an exercise. All sources seem to agree that running burns a little more in the way of calories (not a dramatic amount more, but more), but that calorie difference is offset by the strength and muscle building/upper body toning benefits of rowing.  According to one experiment, rowing activates 85% of the muscle mass in your body. It’s great for toning your midsection, back, shoulders and arms, in addition to your legs. 
That's an awesome retirement goal experiment....

The lower impact matters. 

That's good and all, but now I really want to go drinking with FatOtis
:excited:

announce: I am going out tonight.  To a wedding.  With Mrs. O.  And I don't know if she'll be drinking, but I'll be drinking sufficiently for us both.  I'll likely eat a healthy dinner and go easy on the dessert.

:excited:

announce: I am going out tonight.  To a wedding.  With Mrs. O.  And I don't know if she'll be drinking, but I'll be drinking sufficiently for us both.  I'll likely eat a healthy dinner and go easy on the dessert.
:banned:

Strap in boys, we're due for a dose of whinOtis tomorrow!

Starting weight 1/1 - 257.7

Weight 1/20 - 249.9

-1.7 pounds this week.  It is getting easier to stay away from the junk.

Walk/Run every day for at least 40 minutes is becoming a habit.  Trying the MAF method and it is hard to go slow, but  I am seeing progress.  on January 6 I only went about 3.9 miles in an hour keeping my heartrate under 130.  Yesterday I went 4.6 miles.

Week 2 in the books.

Week 1 -  (8 pounds)

Week 2 - (4 pounds)

I had hoped for 5 but not unhappy with 4.  Still following calorie restriction although I wasn't as good last week. No junk food, all home cooked meals, lots of veggies, no sugar, etc. I did allow myself a couple Gin & Diet Tonics on Saturday and 4 Miller Lites last night.  Activity level was very high over weekend.  This week is a travel week so going to be a bigger challenge but I've got a plan.

Went to the gym.  They were playing this song (like a G6)

https://youtu.be/w4s6H4ku6ZY

I have never heard this before. I may be in the minority.  I don't listen to anything new anymore.  I asked the attractive woman my age who was working out next to me what a g6 was or if they were saying cheese sticks. She very politely explained that it was a private jet before quickly remembering she had to be anywhere else, immediately. 

Still got it.

Oh #### at the same time he posted this he used the heart emoji on my post about him and the mrs. knocking back a couple bottles of wine routinely.  

Not a like.  The f'n heart emoji.  

I don't think we're going to hear about his 5am rowing sesh today. 
The crazy thing is looking back I only had 4 drinks (One bourbon, two scotches, one cocktail of some sort with tequila in it).  But that was on a mostly empty stomach after not eating all day and having only a light dinner and no dessert, and with my new weak tolerance...

Week 2 check in for IF:

Down 2 lbs overall, LOL.  Fasting was easier today and I'll make it to dinner without a snack for the first time.  The effects of low blood sugar aren't as noticeable as 2 weeks ago, where my hands were a little shaky at times and I was quite irritable. 

At this pace, I'll hit my target in 15 weeks.  Just in time for warmer weather.

The crazy thing is looking back I only had 4 drinks (One bourbon, two scotches, one cocktail of some sort with tequila in it).  But that was on a mostly empty stomach after not eating all day and having only a light dinner and no dessert, and with my new weak tolerance...
Speaking of weaker tolerance, I too was shammered last night.  Went to a winery event.  We drank wine before we got there, naturally.  Then they gave us each a glass of white and then a glass of red.  Then they took us snowshoeing, which seemed like potentially a bad idea.  Then they served us a five-course meal with wine pairings at every course (I actually ate pretty well, skipping the dessert, the polenta that came with the braised short ribs, the bread, etc.).  Oh, but they also had a list of all of their wines and said you could try any of them you want.  We tried them all.  Then went back to our hotel and drank some wine first in one friend's room, then in another's.

I had planned to snowshoe again before coming home today.  This did not happen.  :hangover:

1/13:  -2.4 lbs

Total through 18 weeks:  -36.4 lbs

I didn't try hard last week and don't feel like I deserve that loss.  :lol:

Since my original goal was to lose 37 lbs, I'd theoretically be done next week, but I've decided to tack on another 10 lb loss.  No, I have not become anorexic.  As I mentioned previously, I have a small frame.  So even though BMI is kinda BS, I'd like to be on a fairly skinny side of "normal" on that chart.
1/20:  -2.2 lbs

Total through 19 weeks:  -38.6 lbs

I took my scale on my trip with me so that I could do the official weigh-in this morning.  :bag:  

Speaking of weaker tolerance, I too was shammered last night.  Went to a winery event.  We drank wine before we got there, naturally.  Then they gave us each a glass of white and then a glass of red.  Then they took us snowshoeing, which seemed like potentially a bad idea.  Then they served us a five-course meal with wine pairings at every course (I actually ate pretty well, skipping the dessert, the polenta that came with the braised short ribs, the bread, etc.).  Oh, but they also had a list of all of their wines and said you could try any of them you want.  We tried them all.  Then went back to our hotel and drank some wine first in one friend's room, then in another's.

I had planned to snowshoe again before coming home today.  This did not happen.  :hangover:
Life is for living, sounds awesome. 

Jan 20 Row: 10k in 42:16

Jan Total: 191,282

Cautiously optimistic for weigh-in Wednesday even though the diet hasn't been great. 

Users who are viewing this thread