What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (11 Viewers)

My 3yo is a massive PIA these days, has just been destroying our sanity and driving my wife and I nuts. She woke up at 5 when I was trying to change to work out; had to then keep her in check while my wife slept. First time she’s totally killed a workout. Frustrating. Maybe if I get home early tonight. Or maybe it’ll just have to be a rest day.  ####### kids can be a real PIA, this phase is awful. Sigh. 
Eat right today. Miss a day if that is how it works out but get back at it tomorrow.  As you know, that 3 year old will be 10 in a flash and you will miss that toddler stage.  Good luck.  

- Still Impressed.  

Week 3 in the books. My daily number dropped to 32. My high this week was 26.7. My low was 10.6 (on two diff days). My average was 16.3. Weigh-in results this week were somewhat disappointing, but probably more realistic. Maybe my body is in starvation mode? Regardless, I'm starting to feel a difference which is the goal. Pants not as tight and my whole body is feeling much better physically. I attribute much of this to the Yoga challenge I also started at the beginning of the year. Has become my favorite 30-minutes of the day. Can't recommend it enough. 🙏

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs

E-Z Glider said:
Weigh-in results this week were somewhat disappointing, but probably more realistic. Maybe my body is in starvation mode?
Not likely, seeing substantial progress early is normal - it's all that bloat falling off. Now that it's off it's just a function of what you're doing each week. A pound or two per week is reasonable and sustainable so long as you stay committed to whatever you've been doing this month.

Otis said:
My 3yo is a massive PIA these days, has just been destroying our sanity and driving my wife and I nuts. She woke up at 5 when I was trying to change to work out; had to then keep her in check while my wife slept. First time she’s totally killed a workout. Frustrating. Maybe if I get home early tonight. Or maybe it’ll just have to be a rest day.  ####### kids can be a real PIA, this phase is awful. Sigh. 
Unplanned rest days are just as good for you as planned rest days.  You'll feel awesome tomorrow. 

My only concern is that you cheated this weekend and now this. Not sure how your other days have been in between, but this is the most difficult part for me - a cheat day and then another off day and then you start to get used to breaking your good habits and that's how it starts. Nothing wrong with the rest day but I would be extra vigilant about diet and make sure I don't cheat at all. It's thrown me off for several days when this has happened to me in the past. 

I read a really interesting thing on reddit. Don't make the second mistake.  It's one thing to make a mistake - to cheat, or skip a boring task at work, whatever.  People make mistakes all the time and research shows they don't impact long term habits at all.  But the second mistake risks becoming a new routine, and since you are already trying to break that bad routine, it's obviously the routine you preferred (not exercising, or dieting, etc.). 

So when you make that mistake, don't be hard on yourself- just be vigilant about not making the second mistake. 

https://youtu.be/eKp2f5-jRbI

If you have a hypervolt or theragun that might help too. I use my hypervolt on the hip/butt while doing that stretch, on the highest power setting. Seriously a game changer for me - a few minutes here or there and it has helped everything from carpal tunnel to hip and hamstring pain..
I started researching these last night as perhaps a little gift to myself if I keep this all going - any recommendations/why did you end up with the hypervolt? They certainly ain't cheap and I see some knock-offs are entering the market - but not sure where they may fall short. 

I started researching these last night as perhaps a little gift to myself if I keep this all going - any recommendations/why did you end up with the hypervolt? They certainly ain't cheap and I see some knock-offs are entering the market - but not sure where they may fall short. 
I bought it after using it, because it worked that well for me.

The hypervolt hyperice that i own has 3 speeds and looks like a cordless drill.  The only thing it does is make the head go up and down while you press it into your muscles.  I only use the standard attachment - a plastic head that is about 3 inches wide and is slightly curved. It looks like the scalp of a baseball. My wife uses a two pronged attachment that's good for the two finger "spock" type of pressure because she uses it more on her neck. 

I use all 3 speeds. Low speed is about all i can handle on my calves and forearms. I'll bump it up to medium once things loosen up.  High speed is better for big muscles especially my quads and it band. It's like a knife through butter, i can press it in to the muscle hard enough that i get deep without any pain. 

My understanding is that the theragun is comparable and has two features people like - a different style handle, and different speed controls. The theragun is like a weird triangle handle so it's more like a nail gun than a cordless drill if that makes sense. I haven't tried it. Watching NFL games though I've seen players on the sideline with both, and the personal trainer at my gym said they switched from hypervolt to theragun. I think it's personal preference. 

The cheaper ones on the market apparently don't have multiple speeds, don't get as deep and are made of cheaper materials.  I would hate to break one of these but it'd really suck to break it while i was working on my back pain. 

I am totally an evangelist after using mine. It's seriously one of the best things I've ever bought and I'd recommend it to almost anyone as long as their health allows it. 

I got a knock off, Opove, through amazon,  for Xmas and I love it. Works great!  The trainers at my gym have htpervots, and I see no difference. 

Eta:  after reading BF’s post, mine does everything his does  3 speeds, multiple attachments  so far, so good  

@Redwes25 I took my massager with me, on my ski trip. Game changer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
DocHolliday said:
Eat right today. Miss a day if that is how it works out but get back at it tomorrow.  As you know, that 3 year old will be 10 in a flash and you will miss that toddler stage.  Good luck.  

- Still Impressed.  
Thanks Gb. Still on it. Didn’t eat all day, came home and had some chicken and a bowl of Raisin Bran. Drank a Bud Select 55 (1). Back to water and some cheese now. 

Back at it tomorrow.

Thanks Gb. Still on it. Didn’t eat all day, came home and had some chicken and a bowl of Raisin Bran. Drank a Bud Select 55 (1). Back to water and some cheese now. 

Back at it tomorrow.
Chicken, raisin bran a bud select and cheese...

You know what, never mind.  Good job.  

E-Z Glider said:
Week 3 in the books. My daily number dropped to 32. My high this week was 26.7. My low was 10.6 (on two diff days). My average was 16.3. Weigh-in results this week were somewhat disappointing, but probably more realistic. Maybe my body is in starvation mode? Regardless, I'm starting to feel a difference which is the goal. Pants not as tight and my whole body is feeling much better physically. I attribute much of this to the Yoga challenge I also started at the beginning of the year. Has become my favorite 30-minutes of the day. Can't recommend it enough. 🙏

1/2 - 184.6 lbs

1/9 - 179.8 lbs

1/16 - 177.4 lbs

1/23 - 176.0 lbs
What is the "daily number" about?

The weekly delta tells a story as early rapid loss has tapered off to a more reasonable rate.  I take individual weigh-ins with a grain of salt as your weight can vary for several reasons, including hydration.   So, you could even see a "no change" followed by a large drop.

1/2 - 184.6 lbs
1/9 - 179.8 lbs       -4.8
1/16 - 177.4 lbs     -2.4
1/23 - 176.0 lbs     -1.4

20 minute run at 7 mph 

5k row in 23:32
I think you posted about a 28+ minute 5K last week.  I was jealous.   Running is almost impossible these days from a torn quad, meniscus and lower back injuries.   I loved to run...  In my prime,  around the time David Woodley took the Dolphins to the Superbowl, my 5K time was ~16:20.  At the clip above, you'd finish a 5K in under 22 minutes.  Great gains.

I think you posted about a 28+ minute 5K last week.  I was jealous.   Running is almost impossible these days from a torn quad, meniscus and lower back injuries.   I loved to run...  In my prime,  around the time David Woodley took the Dolphins to the Superbowl, my 5K time was ~16:20.  At the clip above, you'd finish a 5K in under 22 minutes.  Great gains.
Thanks.  Most of that 5k is run at 7 to 8. 5 mph, but I tend to run too fast for a bit then bonk and walk.  I count the beginning to end time so my average pace depends as much on my top speed as my time spent walking vs running. I try to keep it to like 20 seconds. I'm getting closer to running the full 5k at 7mph, which would be 26:33. Sub 20 sounds impossible to me - i can't believe you used to do that. I'm starting to run some sub 8 minute miles but that's sub 6. Yowza. 

Thanks.  Most of that 5k is run at 7 to 8. 5 mph, but I tend to run too fast for a bit then bonk and walk.  I count the beginning to end time so my average pace depends as much on my top speed as my time spent walking vs running. I try to keep it to like 20 seconds. I'm getting closer to running the full 5k at 7mph, which would be 26:33. Sub 20 sounds impossible to me - i can't believe you used to do that. I'm starting to run some sub 8 minute miles but that's sub 6. Yowza. 
I suspect neither of us is 20 years old anymore... Hell, if I tried today, my hips would appear discombobulated.

If you really want to see what you're capable of then you need to run further. Sub 20 may be a stretch, but with appropriate volume I think you'll be surprised how much faster you can go. And sub 20 may be in your range of potential outcomes. 

Anyone interested in taking in a 3year old?  We’re about ready to give one up. Trying our patience like never before. Mrs O and I both completely losing it. Got about 2 hours of sleep last night, slept in thorough the 5am alarm. So today may end up another off day unless I get home from work super early. Weekend is open, so I’d love to make tomorrow a two-a-day, with a gym lift in the morning and row in the afternoon.  We’ll see. 

Don’t worry, I’m not falling off. Low calories yesterday and still no alcohol abuse or junk food.  Hell, that used to be my GOOD day....

Back at it tomorrow. 

Anyone interested in taking in a 3year old?  We’re about ready to give one up. Trying our patience like never before. Mrs O and I both completely losing it. Got about 2 hours of sleep last night, slept in thorough the 5am alarm. So today may end up another off day unless I get home from work super early. Weekend is open, so I’d love to make tomorrow a two-a-day, with a gym lift in the morning and row in the afternoon.  We’ll see. 

Don’t worry, I’m not falling off. Low calories yesterday and still no alcohol abuse or junk food.  Hell, that used to be my GOOD day....

Back at it tomorrow. 
This isnt, your first rodeo...you know this stuff happens.  Now, you arent relying on food/booze as the quick fix to make you feel better (nice work!).  That said, getting some exercise is a must when this stuff happens...even if it's only a 20 minute walk at lunch.  Get those feel-good feelings going, your perspective will change, your mood will get better and you will want to make sure you get a longer workout in tomorrow.

Stay the course b!tchy mcb!thcherpants!

Changed my weigh-in day from Monday to Friday which just makes more sense for me.

1/1 - 257.7

1/24 - 248.8

-1.1 lb since Monday. 

Overall good week except for yesterday when I couldn't fit in any real exercise.  I will get back to it today!  Staying well below my daily point allowance which has been easy so far since I mostly eat 0-point foods (fruit, vegetables, chicken, eggs).  Skinny Girl salad dressings are 0-points and have good flavor.

This isnt, your first rodeo...you know this stuff happens.  Now, you arent relying on food/booze as the quick fix to make you feel better (nice work!).  That said, getting some exercise is a must when this stuff happens...even if it's only a 20 minute walk at lunch.  Get those feel-good feelings going, your perspective will change, your mood will get better and you will want to make sure you get a longer workout in tomorrow.

Stay the course b!tchy mcb!thcherpants!
Amen.

And brother, this is my third rodeo, but by light years the most challenging.  I know it’ll pass eventually.  But boy, we’re in it now.

Yeah I still have my walks during my commute, but good idea, I’ll get an extra walk in today and some fresh air.  And I’m going to eat lean and well today.  And this weekend is going to be a weekend of workouts and superfoods. 

Abs are earned in the kitchen.   I read that pithy saying the other day and I'm liking it.   
I had abs as a kid/very early 20s but the closest Ive ever come since is a pretty defined 4-1/2 pack. To get true abs would require me to lose too much weight. I play a lot of basketball still and there’s a fine line between being thin and agile but also getting pushed around on the courts. 

Point is, and I guess I’m just rambling now but abs look great and all but you really have to get rail thin. 

I had abs as a kid/very early 20s but the closest Ive ever come since is a pretty defined 4-1/2 pack. To get true abs would require me to lose too much weight. I play a lot of basketball still and there’s a fine line between being thin and agile but also getting pushed around on the courts. 

Point is, and I guess I’m just rambling now but abs look great and all but you really have to get rail thin. 
I guess you mean not having any muscle as well like some long distance runner or cyclist?    If you're muscular (talking like the guys in men's health, not muscle and fitness level muscular), if you have low body fat, you look great.   That's the look I strive for.

I guess you mean not having any muscle as well like some long distance runner or cyclist?    If you're muscular (talking like the guys in men's health, not muscle and fitness level muscular), if you have low body fat, you look great.   That's the look I strive for.
Yes/no. I was kinda rambling but essentially I meant that as much as I want to look in the mirror and see a full 6 pack- for that to happen I personally have to get too lean. 

Im 5’8” 188 lbs 

To get a full 6 -pack showing I need to get my weight down to about 160 and while I would be strong at that weight, I would get pushed around in basketball/flag football. 

Again, I was sorta rambling. 

I'm pretty all in on IF. Never ate breakfast so usually eat only between like 2&7 (wider window on weekends). That said, what I eat in there is quite sub-optimal from time to time, but not snacking once the "eating window has closed" has been quite the change. 
Started up IF on the 5/2 schedule after the new year.  Last year was pretty brutal on work hours and stress, so weight crept up.  I have been skipping lunch as it is, so the 2 fasting days aren't as hard as I thought except when my wife fills the house with food odors.  Eating breakfast one day and skipping to the next breakfast is a lot easier than skipping eating all day.  

-10lbs since Jan 1st.  Decent start.  25 to go.

I was curious to know how rowing compares to running as an exercise. All sources seem to agree that running burns a little more in the way of calories (not a dramatic amount more, but more), but that calorie difference is offset by the strength and muscle building/upper body toning benefits of rowing.  According to one experiment, rowing activates 85% of the muscle mass in your body. It’s great for toning your midsection, back, shoulders and arms, in addition to your legs. 
Rowing, swimming, cross country skiing rule this category.  And they all are a bit easier on the pounding than running.  Though, IMO, running is the best way to lose weight.

Started up IF on the 5/2 schedule after the new year.  Last year was pretty brutal on work hours and stress, so weight crept up.  I have been skipping lunch as it is, so the 2 fasting days aren't as hard as I thought except when my wife fills the house with food odors.  Eating breakfast one day and skipping to the next breakfast is a lot easier than skipping eating all day.  

-10lbs since Jan 1st.  Decent start.  25 to go.

Rowing, swimming, cross country skiing rule this category.  And they all are a bit easier on the pounding than running.  Though, IMO, running is the best way to lose weight.
How big a breakfast do you eat on your fasting days?  Are we talking  about 1500 calories of eggs and avocado toast or like a couple hundred calories Which days do you do?  I always imagined consecutive fasting days when i first heard about this but I'm guessing it's more like Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Thursday so you don't mess with your weekends?  And do you restrict calories on your non fasting days or just avoid overeating and exercise a good amount?   I always thought 16/8 sounded easier but I'm interested in learning more.  

Weighed in at 159 this morning, so that's awesome. What I've been dealing with pretty much ever since I lost most of the weight is my own mental image that I'm bigger than I think, so that's been a struggle. This past weekend, the better half and I went clothes shopping for me, where I bought all medium shirts and size 32 shorts. Found out that I can put on a size 30 short, but it's a bit too tight. I also bought some size small basketball shorts, which I legit don't remember the last time I could wear that size. Doing that clothing purge helps my mental image, because I was swimming in those clothes. I had a pair of size 36 pants still in my closet, no lie, I looked like Aladdin in them.

How big a breakfast do you eat on your fasting days?  Are we talking  about 1500 calories of eggs and avocado toast or like a couple hundred calories Which days do you do?  I always imagined consecutive fasting days when i first heard about this but I'm guessing it's more like Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Thursday so you don't mess with your weekends?  And do you restrict calories on your non fasting days or just avoid overeating and exercise a good amount?   I always thought 16/8 sounded easier but I'm interested in learning more.  
About 600 calories.  Monday and Wednesday or Thursday are the designated days. I try to eat reasonably on regular days.  

Friday night after a rough week.  Boy could I go for opening a good bottle (or two) of red from the cases we have on hand; or hell, a nice scotch on the rocks.  Maybe the latter isn’t too dangerous.  Although #2 always seems to follow close behind #1.  Do I dare?  Or I just saddle up with a nice cold Bud Select 55 and then chase it with a few tall glasses of water?

What I’d do for a good shammering tonight.  But, alas, I won’t. 

Jan 23 Row: 30 minutes 7,256m avg HR 160

Jan Total: 218,538

Just ordered the massage gun recommended by @DA RAIDERS  coming on Saturday - hoping it's as helpful as some folks say.
Jan 24 Row: 10K in 42:49 avg HR - 149

Jan Total: 228,538

Just housed a large amount of ramen and then dessert so gave most of it back, but.....worth it. 

7 more days to complete the January sweep. 

Friday night after a rough week.  Boy could I go for opening a good bottle (or two) of red from the cases we have on hand; or hell, a nice scotch on the rocks.  Maybe the latter isn’t too dangerous.  Although #2 always seems to follow close behind #1.  Do I dare?  Or I just saddle up with a nice cold Bud Select 55 and then chase it with a few tall glasses of water?

Not tonight. Get another good week in and have an end of January cheat day. I am flying back to MN next Friday for the sole purpose of getting bombed so you will be in fine company. 

Yes/no. I was kinda rambling but essentially I meant that as much as I want to look in the mirror and see a full 6 pack- for that to happen I personally have to get too lean. 

Im 5’8” 188 lbs 

To get a full 6 -pack showing I need to get my weight down to about 160 and while I would be strong at that weight, I would get pushed around in basketball/flag football. 

Again, I was sorta rambling. 
Do you want to be a point guard or power forward?  All kidding aside, there are positives to being lighter.

Use exercise to relieve stress. Seriously.

The first time you get down there to row and end up regretting it, please let us know. I guarantee it will never happen. 

Use exercise to relieve stress. Seriously.

The first time you get down there to row and end up regretting it, please let us know. I guarantee it will never happen. 

@Otis

I had a 4:30 lift scheduled today. My wife messaged me and said she was held up at work. So I had to skip it to get home to let our nanny leave. I was already tired and having gone home I spent the next hour considering checking out. But I willed myself back there anyway. Not looking forward to it. It's dark, rainy, it's been a long week, and I just want a glass of something brown. Sometime during set 2 of the chest press though - I woke up. I had a solid workout and my energy is renewed again.

Don't be weak like the old BlOtis. Be strong like the new Rowtis.

Rowtis Stats

Jan 25 Row: 10k MAF (45:29; avg. HR 138; 681 cals)

January total: 167,017m

It’s not perfect.  First two day in a row stretch this year without a workout.  But it’s good. It’s better. Last night old me gets sloshed into a couple of bottles of wine after a long stressful week. Instead I had a 55 calorie Bud Select. Just one.  And water. And nuts. And cheese. After a sensible day of eating. And this morning instead of being hungover I rowed a 10k.  It’s not perfect. But it’s a whole lot better.  And that’s a win. 

Steady as she goes. 

Added bonus: Mrs. O on a diet too and trying on bikinis this morning :wub:  

Being fit seems like it’s probably way better then being fat. 

ETA: sorry she’s not on a diet, like Otis she just has a changed lifestyle now

:thumbup:

Man - I spent about a month with lots of booze and the eating was horrible.  I won't say all my poor food habits come after booze because I'm not a big drinker most of the time but I can confidently say that I have about zero willpower once I have a couple of drinks in me.  Good reason to stay away.

@Otis

I had a 4:30 lift scheduled today. My wife messaged me and said she was held up at work. So I had to skip it to get home to let our nanny leave. I was already tired and having gone home I spent the next hour considering checking out. But I willed myself back there anyway. Not looking forward to it. It's dark, rainy, it's been a long week, and I just want a glass of something brown. Sometime during set 2 of the chest press though - I woke up. I had a solid workout and my energy is renewed again.

Don't be weak like the old BlOtis. Be strong like the new Rowtis.
LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A NANNY!

I won't say all my poor food habits come after booze because I'm not a big drinker most of the time but I can confidently say that I have about zero willpower once I have a couple of drinks in me. 
I’m the same way and assume it’s this way for many.   Still not a drink in 2020 for me.   

Users who are viewing this thread