What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (5 Viewers)

Hey GB, rough few days here at Casa de Otis, involving kids with the flu and the stomach bug, all of which has disrupted my 5am hour.  So, this will be the third (!) day in a row without a workout, unless I can get something in this evening.  But not to worry, I'm staying fully on the wagon -- no booze, other than a Bud Select 55 last night, and no junk food.  Staying the course.  This weekend I'll have the chance for a couple of great rows.

You making 300k in January is totally sick.  Congrats man.  I'm just glad to have broken 200k.  I'm thinking I'd like to set a goal of 250k for February, though I'll be on vacation for a week with the family without the time or access to row, so it may not be realistic.  But anyway, I'm not going anywhere -- I'll be back to rowing momentarily.

Oats
Oof hang in the GB. Family first. 

Snuck in my 3,750 this AM (barely) and am now en route to airport to have all the food and drinks. 

Jan Total: 300,000

Might I suggest cutting out the fast finish and not stopping at 5K.  Get a run up to 4 or even 5 miles.  You'll improve even more with longer times.  Shoot for 45-60 minutes if you can.
This is how you running cultists recruit people. I've seen this before.  If I listen to this I'm going to be running marathons and blowing strangers for body glide and two packs of Gu.

This is how you running cultists recruit people. I've seen this before.  If I listen to this I'm going to be running marathons and blowing strangers for body glide and two packs of Gu.
Yeah but if you hang in the running thread you don’t even need that motivational video because you already are obviously super dedicated. 

Since running is a thing for you, you should join the strava group https://www.strava.com/clubs/TeamFFA.  It is great for encouragement (the rowers are even allowed in there) and you get romantic/erotic poetry in the run tiles every now and then. 

Hey GB, rough few days here at Casa de Otis, involving kids with the flu and the stomach bug, all of which has disrupted my 5am hour.  So, this will be the third (!) day in a row without a workout, unless I can get something in this evening.  But not to worry, I'm staying fully on the wagon -- no booze, other than a Bud Select 55 last night, and no junk food.  Staying the course.  This weekend I'll have the chance for a couple of great rows.

You making 300k in January is totally sick.  Congrats man.  I'm just glad to have broken 200k.  I'm thinking I'd like to set a goal of 250k for February, though I'll be on vacation for a week with the family without the time or access to row, so it may not be realistic.  But anyway, I'm not going anywhere -- I'll be back to rowing momentarily.

Oats
2-a-day's this weekend, my man.

We're shameless about it too. Openly pushing the drugs. So what the #### are you waiting for.

I have to assume so unless it’s some sort of price mistake I guess. These things seem to hold their value it’s tough to even find used ones much less than the price of a new one. 
I'll let you know how it turns out, I decided to be the guinea pig and ordered one :oldunsure:

The seller is some Chinese site through Shopify so I'm not holding my breath, but the transaction took place through Paypal, so I've got some protection there. I figured it was worth a shot and something I can spend part of my fantasy football winnings on. If it works out, great, and if it doesn't, hopefully I can get the $$ back through Paypal. I'll let you know what happens.

Now, if this works out I'm going to need to learn how to row, as I don't think I've ever done it before in my life other than messing around a few times at the gym. I'm looking for a low or no impact form of exercise, though, so maybe this will be the start of something beautiful  :drive:

my fancy gym opened a new boutique gym and tennis club near me.  the wife and i went on a date today, to the gym, to check it out.  did some hot yoga, 15 minutes of elliptical, for my man @Otis HR over 150 for 11 or so of those 15.  nice sauna and a steam.  with a little lunch at the end.   this is what my life has become.   :lmao:   love it.  we had a blast.  

my fancy gym opened a new boutique gym and tennis club near me.  the wife and i went on a date today, to the gym, to check it out.  did some hot yoga, 15 minutes of elliptical, for my man @Otis HR over 150 for 11 or so of those 15.  nice sauna and a steam.  with a little lunch at the end.   this is what my life has become.   :lmao:   love it.  we had a blast.  
Actually sounds kind of awesome. 

have at it
Decided to do a total diet and fitness makeover on the day I turned 49 1/2. My goal was to lose approximately 20 pounds and get super fit in time for my 50th birthday. Wife and I are probably taking a trip of some kind, which may or may not involve me shirtless. I am 5'10" and was a squishy 185 to 188 pounds at that time.

I am about 3/12 months in and am currently hovering at 169-170 pounds. Been doing the low carb diet thing and intermittent fasting. I go to the gym 7 days a week, typically first thing in the morning around 6:30 or so. Lift three days a week, do HIIT the other four. When I lift I am generally there for about 90 minutes, but sometimes a bit longer. Other days I am there 60-75 minutes.

My HIIT has been mostly doing intervals on the elliptical and climbing the infernal Jacob's Ladder. Have done 2,000 feet a couple times on the ladder. Generally in sets of 500-750 feet. I sprint climb 100-125 feet at a time, then rest for 30-45 seconds. It is brutal. 

But I've noticed that my ability to run around when I play lacrosse (Monday nights) is much better now. I don't get winded fast any more. And when I take a break I am ready to go again in like a minute.

My legs have gotten strong, but my upper body strength is still not impressive. But I am not embarrassed to be shirtless, and I still have a couple months to build some more upper body strength and to lose the last of the stubborn belly fat.

Decided to do a total diet and fitness makeover on the day I turned 49 1/2. My goal was to lose approximately 20 pounds and get super fit in time for my 50th birthday. Wife and I are probably taking a trip of some kind, which may or may not involve me shirtless. I am 5'10" and was a squishy 185 to 188 pounds at that time.

I am about 3/12 months in and am currently hovering at 169-170 pounds. Been doing the low carb diet thing and intermittent fasting. I go to the gym 7 days a week, typically first thing in the morning around 6:30 or so. Lift three days a week, do HIIT the other four. When I lift I am generally there for about 90 minutes, but sometimes a bit longer. Other days I am there 60-75 minutes.

My HIIT has been mostly doing intervals on the elliptical and climbing the infernal Jacob's Ladder. Have done 2,000 feet a couple times on the ladder. Generally in sets of 500-750 feet. I sprint climb 100-125 feet at a time, then rest for 30-45 seconds. It is brutal. 

But I've noticed that my ability to run around when I play lacrosse (Monday nights) is much better now. I don't get winded fast any more. And when I take a break I am ready to go again in like a minute.

My legs have gotten strong, but my upper body strength is still not impressive. But I am not embarrassed to be shirtless, and I still have a couple months to build some more upper body strength and to lose the last of the stubborn belly fat.
Maybe what's most impressive to me is that you're playing lacrosse at age 50....  

But this is awesome progress.  Congrats and keep at it.  Hoping you lose those last few pounds and impress the missus.  I'm trying to do the same and it aint easy.  Especially because Mrs. O is still 35 and still a smokeshow, and here I am chubby mid 40s dude.  But trying...

Now that "dry-ish January" is over, I just had a scotch.  I may have a second one.  Mrs. O refuses to join me, so we didn't open wine.  She's smart.  We're going to go right back to "sober February," but damn if I don't feel completely amazing after that scotch.  My troubles are gone, my legs are tingling.  Booze ain't so bad sometimes.

Now that "dry-ish January" is over, I just had a scotch.  I may have a second one.  Mrs. O refuses to join me, so we didn't open wine.  She's smart.  We're going to go right back to "sober February," but damn if I don't feel completely amazing after that scotch.  My troubles are gone, my legs are tingling.  Booze ain't so bad sometimes.
:suds:

Haven't worked out in a couple days and now the drinking begins...

If you're too hungover tomorrow for your row or two-a-day, we may have ourselves an issue  :whistle:

That said, enjoy in moderation  :thumbup:

Haven't worked out in a couple days and now the drinking begins...

If you're too hungover tomorrow for your row or two-a-day, we may have ourselves an issue  :whistle:

That said, enjoy in moderation  :thumbup:
I'm watching Rocky II while I drink.  It's basically like working out.

Wife (finally) got on board with exercising with me. She's been doing amazing and a bonus is that it's also free "quality time". Easier said than done, but if you can get your significant other involves its pretty life changing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where you are tested.   It’s easy to throw your hands up and give up the positive results after going off track for a bit.   Life happens.   Don’t give up any more ground though.  

I don’t miss hangovers.  I will never understand why I did that to myself for so many years.   
@krista4

Maybe what's most impressive to me is that you're playing lacrosse at age 50....  

But this is awesome progress.  Congrats and keep at it.  Hoping you lose those last few pounds and impress the missus.  I'm trying to do the same and it aint easy.  Especially because Mrs. O is still 35 and still a smokeshow, and here I am chubby mid 40s dude.  But trying...
Some of the guys I am playing with are half my age or less. But I am also not the oldest guy out there either.

I would, except I’m too busy chasing the three year old cleaning up vomit now that she’s caught it from the 5 year old. 

As an aside, why are people such effing farmers. If your kids are vomiting for Jesus sake don’t send them to school. And keep them home the next day too. People hate their kids so much they don’t give a crap, they just want to dump them on the schools to avoid inconvenience. Then eleventy other kids get it. It’s so bad this year that the school keeps emailing out letters begging parents to keep their sick kids home. We get one every couple weeks.  And still these dummies keep sending them. 

I just can’t even. 

I would, except I’m too busy chasing the three year old cleaning up vomit now that she’s caught it from the 5 year old. 

As an aside, why are people such effing farmers. If your kids are vomiting for Jesus sake don’t send them to school. And keep them home the next day too. People hate their kids so much they don’t give a crap, they just want to dump them on the schools to avoid inconvenience. Then eleventy other kids get it. It’s so bad this year that the school keeps emailing out letters begging parents to keep their sick kids home. We get one every couple weeks.  And still these dummies keep sending them. 

I just can’t even. 
Grimace.gif

Day 6 MAF

Back to the gym. First mile was 5.7 and i wasn't quite at 136 heart rate so i bumped it up to 6.0. Then promptly went up to 141.  Dropped back to 5.5 for most of the second mile, then 5.1 for most of the third.  Finished with a few minutes at 8.2mph which felt great, total time under 32 minutes for 5k although it would have been more like 33 if i hadn't finished fast. 

I really like this approach.  I feel like my endurance has gone up.  I've run 5k without stopping every day this week, and while I'm going slower overall, I'm getting close to the pace i was at before i started (sub 29 minutes, mostly 7-8mph with some walking)

I think I'm going to keep at this for a while until i have to take a rest day for whatever reason, and then the next day I'll treat it like a race to see what kind of time i can run. 
Day 7 MAF - forgot to update this yesterday.  7 straight days with no-stop 5ks. I upped it to 3.5 miles on the last run of the week.

Mile 1 5.7 mph

Mile 2 5.5 mph

Mile 3 5.0 mph 

A little slower then yesterday but not much.  Finished the full 5k under 140.bpm in around 34 minutes 

I opened up and planned to finish strong. I couldn't sustain 8.2mph the whole time so tapered down. 

Total 3.5 miles, a little under 38 minutes.  

I think this is a sustainable distance to run each day, not sure how much more time I want to commit to running because I've been doing some rowing and weights these days too and that's a long time to be at the gym, but as my speed increases i might be up for gradually increasing my distance.  It's definitely been nice to have those extra calories each day. So maybe I'll shoot for 4 miles next weekend. 

Otis said:
And so it begins.

I’m inspired.  I’m gonna give this MAF a shot as I’m prepping for a 10 mile run (never even ran a 5 K but I do run about 2.5 miles on treadmill about 3 days a week).  One question- is the Apple Watch a pretty accurate device to continually track heart rate while I’m jogging?  I just run/jog for like an hour or does the overall time not matter?

DocHolliday said:
In that case, have a great weekend.  you are a better person than I am.   I would beat myself up for at least a week over gaining another couple of pounds this weekend..   
We must be very different in that regard.   :)  

As of about 10 days ago I’d lost 40 lbs in just over four months.  If I find on Monday that I gained, say, five of those back in two weeks of fun, then I’ll think it was worth it, and hunker down and lose those five back plus more.  I know determination is my strong suit and am not concerned about it.

Update on my @Tecumseh challenge:  good lord is this tedious.  Yesterday was Day 64 for me, having started the day after Thanksgiving.  After missing Dec. 26 and 27, I’ve kept it up since then, so I’ve had an “outside the normal course” workout for 62 of the 64 days.

I’ve also completed two of the three team challenges I signed up for, from Nov 29-Dec 25 and Jan 1-31.  The third one starts today and goes through March 15, so my personal Tecumseh challenge will go 108 days.  It really is difficult not to skip a day, and I admire Tecumseh for doing this twice!

I’m inspired.  I’m gonna give this MAF a shot as I’m prepping for a 10 mile run (never even ran a 5 K but I do run about 2.5 miles on treadmill about 3 days a week).  One question- is the Apple Watch a pretty accurate device to continually track heart rate while I’m jogging?  I just run/jog for like an hour or does the overall time not matter?
The (non MAF) rule I'd always heard is don't increase distance by more than ten percent per week, so if you've got a good base of 2.5 miles, doing 3 should be the high end of what you're doing your first week and probably a bit less. That's about avoiding injuries and building your muscles.  

Time is irrelevant as long as you stay around your target heart rate the whole time. That probably means going painstakingly slow at first. 

We're starting at fairly similar points but you're probably ahead of where I was last week- I'd be interested in seeing your results if you do start MAF

The (non MAF) rule I'd always heard is don't increase distance by more than ten percent per week, so if you've got a good base of 2.5 miles, doing 3 should be the high end of what you're doing your first week and probably a bit less. That's about avoiding injuries and building your muscles.  

Time is irrelevant as long as you stay around your target heart rate the whole time. That probably means going painstakingly slow at first. 

We're starting at fairly similar points but you're probably ahead of where I was last week- I'd be interested in seeing your results if you do start MAF
I have to admit that I'm not going to be able to commit in the same way that you and the others have amazingly done.  Going to the gym in the morning isn't an option for me with the little kids and work schedule.  Outside of weekends, the only time I can get to the gym is after kids are asleep (likely 8:00 to 8:30ish at the earliest).  And sometimes work/life will get in the way of that.

My goal is just use this to motivate me to exercise more and in turn help prep me for the 10 mile run.  It also seems like a lot of fun (after all, it did get Otis to obsess over exercising).   :shrug:     

Overall time is the most important. Not pace. 

You go whatever pace you need to get your HR close to that MAF number and don't go over it. You should be doing a minimum of 30 minutes to see benefit and ideally 45-60 minutes. 

But as Fred stated, don't increase too fast. Build up to that. 

Overall time is the most important. Not pace. 

You go whatever pace you need to get your HR close to that MAF number and don't go over it. You should be doing a minimum of 30 minutes to see benefit and ideally 45-60 minutes. 

But as Fred stated, don't increase too fast. Build up to that. 
Do you use an Apple Watch?  I wasn't sure how accurate the heart monitor app is on that?

Users who are viewing this thread