What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

Did day 1 yesterday - like the Yukon golds, easy to cook and take care of. 

Scale went up today but have to imagine the water weight attached to that starch was loving me - I've lost a lot of weight on other diets and have just been finding it hard to stay disciplined so figured maybe a month or so of this could help.

Anyways, we will see.

Welcome to the club!

The long holiday weekend was hard for me.  Eating out too much.  Went from 190 Friday morning to 193 Tuesday morning.  Back down to 192 this morning.  I know daily weighing isn't good/accurate/realistic, but i want to keep seeing that number go down on a regular basis to keep choking these things down.  My routine is bland and boring breakfast and lunch, and then spicing them up with something crazy like ketchup or salsa in the evening.  Doing the wedge fries with seasoning and ketchup is heaven after having just salt and pepper on a baked potato twice that day.

Welcome to the club!

The long holiday weekend was hard for me.  Eating out too much.  Went from 190 Friday morning to 193 Tuesday morning.  Back down to 192 this morning.  I know daily weighing isn't good/accurate/realistic, but i want to keep seeing that number go down on a regular basis to keep choking these things down.  My routine is bland and boring breakfast and lunch, and then spicing them up with something crazy like ketchup or salsa in the evening.  Doing the wedge fries with seasoning and ketchup is heaven after having just salt and pepper on a baked potato twice that day.
Nice.  Stick with it.

I also disagree that daily weighing is bad.  It's actually helped me to see trends, and actually see almost in real time what works and how it works.  I can like clockwork know what a bender weekend will do to me for my Monday morning weigh-in, but also how that will translate to the Tuesday weigh-in after a day back on the hack.  So I would say continue the daily weighing, but just don't get too frustrated with what can happen over a 1-2 day period.  You'll start to see trends that make sense after you do this for a few weeks.  Once it all starts to make sense, it becomes easier to find the right motivations and make calculated decisions (some good decisions but also some bad decisions that you'll be OK with).

Nice.  Stick with it.

I also disagree that daily weighing is bad.  It's actually helped me to see trends, and actually see almost in real time what works and how it works.  I can like clockwork know what a bender weekend will do to me for my Monday morning weigh-in, but also how that will translate to the Tuesday weigh-in after a day back on the hack.  So I would say continue the daily weighing, but just don't get too frustrated with what can happen over a 1-2 day period.  You'll start to see trends that make sense after you do this for a few weeks.  Once it all starts to make sense, it becomes easier to find the right motivations and make calculated decisions (some good decisions but also some bad decisions that you'll be OK with).
I wonder if due to the water retention of the potato hack, daily weighing isn't so bad.  On a typical diet, daily fluxcuations are common.  Maybe that's just not the case here.  In my extensive experience of one whole week, when eating all potatoes, I've never seen the number go up in a day (it's actually gone down either a half pound, or full pound every day).

I'll stick with it until I feel I don't need the daily encouragement, but for now I think I do.

Got some pictures from a pool party this weekend, I'm jacked. I'll post them for you all to see tomorrow.

Have a dinner tonight that'll prob be about 4-5k calories with booze factored in. Doing a big BBQ Saturday and then vacation with the fam Sun-Sat. Next 11 days I'll prob add 6-8 lbs.

Reading of your success while cheating is not helping me.  I've convinced myself that I have to stick to this 100% during the week, and that it works for me because it takes the discretion out of my diet.  I know I just can't deal with "little" cheats here and there because a little cheat for me (say, a fun size candy bar to satisfy my sweet tooth) turns into a king size bar and a can of pop.  Beer and pizza don't tempt me because I know I'll have those on the weekend in moderation.  It's the little stuff during the week that would kill me.

As far as my results, I weighed in at 190 this morning (day 1 was last Thursday at 196).  I haven't had to deal with much temptation other than Tuesday.  I had to volunteer at my kids baseball game, and I ran the grill for the concession stand.  Smelling the burgers and brats was killing me.  I know one would turn into one of each, so I held fast.
My update:

6/24 - 196

6/30 - 190

7/8 - 189.5

Only half a pound weight loss this week.  However, this was due (I'm blaming it on) the three day weekend.  Every day that I've gone full spud, I've lost either a full pound or 1.5.  The weekends reverse the trend.  With three days of not being good enough (darn holiday) and only four this week to counter act it, only had a minor loss.  The additional weekend day and loss of weekday was a 2 lb swing in my estimation.  I could have just as easily been at 187.5.  That said, I'm taking this as a kick in the butt not to let things go crazy this weekend and try to maintain, vs adding a couple of pounds.

Hit a~2yr low weight a couple weeks ago then had a mild hammy injury that put my running on hold. :(

At the same time I had some bad eating (texas BBQ on work trip, etc), and a lot of drinking (business trip, holiday, etc).... came out of it at the exact same weight I came in, which was nice. Just got back to running last night and today weighed in 2lbs below that low. :thumbup:  One cookout Sat but will keep it in check... then doing taters for 4 days next week to keep this train rolling.

Still targeting to be below my college graduation weight on my 40th bday next month. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna start this week. All spud Breakfast and lunch. Dinner will be normal.  Only vodka soda.  Want to do a tiny 10 day cut before the beach trip I got. 

I just didn't quite get the bulk I wanted to 175 so starting this later than I planned. Only got to 171

Gonna start this week. All spud Breakfast and lunch. Dinner will be normal.  Only vodka soda.  Want to do a tiny 10 day cut before the beach trip I got. 

I just didn't quite get the bulk I wanted to 175 so starting this later than I planned. Only got to 171

Why a normal dinner? More benefit by denying your body the fat and kicking it into burn mode. Seems to me you'll sure reduce overall calories, but might not trip over into fat burning mode. 

Why a normal dinner? More benefit by denying your body the fat and kicking it into burn mode. Seems to me you'll sure reduce overall calories, but might not trip over into fat burning mode. 
My normal dinner is usually pretty vegetable based and has lots of potato components. For all intents paleo.  And it's more an experiment. I missed my window so just seeing what is possible part timing this for a short duration. 

And dem gainz brah

I'm jumping on this blandwagon!

Initial weigh-in: 210 on a 6'0" frame, just south of 51 years old; bodyfat @28.5%. For those of you that struggle with arithmetic, I'm toting around 60 lbs of fat (but I hide it well). Waist size: Tape measure reveals 44" relaxed, 40" if sucked in; 36" according to Levi Strauss.

Short-Term Goal: Lose 15 pounds the first five weeks.

Long-Term Goal: lose 45 lbs of fat by Jan 1st (and eventually add 5-10 lbs of muscle), and strut around at an MMA-esque 175. Getting back to the math, that works out to BF% of 8-9%. Sounds a little unrealistic, but I look at the 45 lb weights in the gym and say to myself - "That's my goal!"  Long term, 11-12% is a more appropriate target, but I'm going to hit the 8-9% BF first, if only for a day.

Will start with a 4-day spud cycle out of the gate, Mon-Thurs, followed by standard paleo on Fri-Sat, and Sunday's will be a full-on cheat day. Cheat implies beer and feasting on a family-gathering style Sunday dinner (for example, I'm about to go roast a whole chicken).

To prove to myself that I'm serious, I went out and bought a $150 pair of wireless earbuds, and now I'm dusting off my FitBit Blaze and charging the battery.

Hold my beer and watch this!

I'm attempting a "no beer July" (well at least from the 5th to the 29th - leave for vacation on the 30th), so this will work well with an attempt to full work in spud during the week.  
So I couldn't start this last week for a few reasons...but I just bit into my first potato of the week.  Just planning to go Mon-Wed to see what it's like.

5'9"

167lbs

Let's do this

zOMG. Down to 164 this morning.

IT WORKS!!!!!111111JUANJUAN
:hifive:  

I'm down to 219.7 today.  Remarkable for a couple of reasons.  First, remarkable for me to be that low on a Tuesday -- usually it takes a few days into the week, after a weekend bender, to get back down.  Could be that this was the first normal two-day weekend in a while and I didn't go completely nuts.

The other reason it's remarkable is because I've been "stuck" here for some time.  Lots of blame on "letting loose" half of each week, but still.  That said, being "stuck" at under 220 would have been a dream a couple of years ago.  So, still feeling really good about this.

Yesterday had coffee during the day, and my usual feast of spuds with sauce and parmesan cheese at night.  Perfect.

Really have a target set a couple weeks out, and would like to be near 210 at that point.  We'll see what I can muster.

Oh and, another bit of news.  I can't possibly be a fat guy anymore -- my Charles Tyrwhitt Slim Fit shirts are getting awful baggy, so I bought an EXTRA slim fit the other day for a test run.  Fits great.  Going to have to start replacing shirts across the board pretty soon.

:hifive:  

Great job.  I decided to hold off and wait till I hit my goal weight. :kicksrock:  

The brahs at the gym convinced me that cutting while still making strength gains is stupid and counter productive also.  I'm making good gains on squats and bench now. DL is lagging a bit but I've been hitting squats so hard that dl is going to lag a bit.  

May wait till I plateau a bit or hit 175.  Doing 6 nights at an all inclusive and that might be just what I need to hit 175.   A dirty 175.

Keep in mind I was 141 just 3 years ago.  Still wear same pants.  Shirts are a little tighter :flex: :doyouevenliftbro;

Had my first negative spud day yesterday.  I had a long day at work, so I got home a little frazzled.  The family was having meatball sandwiches for dinner.  I was a little jealous.  No problem, I'll just cut up the Yukons I just brought home into fries, add some extra seasoning for a little kick, and enjoy.  Threw them in the over, and sat down with the family for dinner.  Well, they weren't quite done, so they were raw on the inside still.  I choked down the thinner ones that were the most done.  I didn't have time to throw them in for longer as we had to get to a baseball meeting, then a baseball game.  I figured I'd just throw them in a little more and enjoy at the end of the night, they tasted good, just weren't cooked.  Well, the game ran late, and I didn't get home until almost 10:30.  Fired up the oven, threw them in for another 10 minutes.  Not enough, another 15.  Still weren't done, but I was tired, and just needed to eat.  Put them on a plate with ketchup, sat down and fired up The League on Netflix.  Parts were soggy on the outside, thicker cut ones were still raw on the inside.  What the?  I was hangry at this point, so I just choked them down and went to bed.  As my head hit the pillow, I had a ureka moment...they were supposed to be at 450, not 350.  Argh!

Had my first negative spud day yesterday.  I had a long day at work, so I got home a little frazzled.  The family was having meatball sandwiches for dinner.  I was a little jealous.  No problem, I'll just cut up the Yukons I just brought home into fries, add some extra seasoning for a little kick, and enjoy.  Threw them in the over, and sat down with the family for dinner.  Well, they weren't quite done, so they were raw on the inside still.  I choked down the thinner ones that were the most done.  I didn't have time to throw them in for longer as we had to get to a baseball meeting, then a baseball game.  I figured I'd just throw them in a little more and enjoy at the end of the night, they tasted good, just weren't cooked.  Well, the game ran late, and I didn't get home until almost 10:30.  Fired up the oven, threw them in for another 10 minutes.  Not enough, another 15.  Still weren't done, but I was tired, and just needed to eat.  Put them on a plate with ketchup, sat down and fired up The League on Netflix.  Parts were soggy on the outside, thicker cut ones were still raw on the inside.  What the?  I was hangry at this point, so I just choked them down and went to bed.  As my head hit the pillow, I had a ureka moment...they were supposed to be at 450, not 350.  Argh!
Doh.

In any event, I highly recommend boiling a few bags of them in Sunday nights to start your week.  That's what I do, and it's better for you to let them cool (produces more RS) before you consume.  The fridge gets stocked, and then each night I just chop those babies into wedges and throw them in at 450 for a half hour.  Could probably nuke them too, but I haven't been that desperate.

Doh.

In any event, I highly recommend boiling a few bags of them in Sunday nights to start your week.  That's what I do, and it's better for you to let them cool (produces more RS) before you consume.  The fridge gets stocked, and then each night I just chop those babies into wedges and throw them in at 450 for a half hour.  Could probably nuke them too, but I haven't been that desperate.
you typically at about 3lbs/day?

Doh.

How long do you boil them for?  I tried baking them first, but I went too long and when I came back to cut them into fries, they were mush and I had to cut them pretty big to keep them together.  No way would I be able to cut them small like real fries.

Get a bag of potatoes. 

Boil a few in a pot, with at least an inch of water above them, for 15 to 18 minutes after the water starts to boil. 

Refrigerate them overnight. 

THEN, do whatever with them. Once you pull them out of the fridge you can make wedges, cubes, hash, "fries", whatever. 

should i be concerned about going to the gym (circuit training) for an hour today on 1.5 days of nothing but spuds?  I'm going to make sure i'm plenty hydrated, but just want to see if I should do anything else?

you typically at about 3lbs/day?
Don't know, actually way less.  I've been a bit in starvation mode -- don't eat breakfast, and just real busy at work so lunch hour passes without food, and then I just wait till I'm home to have the potatoes for dinner.  Doubt I'm eating 3lbs in a sitting.  It's a few decent sized potatoes cut up, about a medium bowl.

Don't know, actually way less.  I've been a bit in starvation mode -- don't eat breakfast, and just real busy at work so lunch hour passes without food, and then I just wait till I'm home to have the potatoes for dinner.  Doubt I'm eating 3lbs in a sitting.  It's a few decent sized potatoes cut up, about a medium bowl.
gotcha. I've just been snacking on two or three small red potatoes here or there whenever i'm hungry.

Doh.

Got home from the gym :flex: and quartered about 8 or so small red potatoes, put in the oven at 450 and jumped in the shower.  Wanted to do a "taste test" so to speak on different seasonings that I had in my pantry...here's my grading:

Cavender's Greek Seasoning - A - good solid seasoning that works really well with the starch of the potato  :thumbup:

Lawry's Lemon Pepper Seasoning - D - really just didn't work well at all :thumbdown:

Tone's Taco Seasoning - B minus - A pleasant surprise.  I would've rated higher, but I think I under seasoned it....will try to put some more on next time, but the potential is definitely there

Ground Cinnamon - B minus - again a pleasant surprise, as I was going for the "dessert" angle.  I think I under seasoned it as well....Cinnamon is pretty powerful, so I wanted to be careful....but i thoroughly enjoyed each bite that had the cinnamon on there.  Will attempt again next time

#### it...trying this starting Sunday. My wife and I are on completely different eating schedules with completely different tastes right now, which was my main issue with giving it a shot before. I've plateaued on my diet after dropping about 30 pounds late last year. I think I can easily do this Sunday to Thursday, and eat sensibly Friday/Saturday. 

I've been following this thread a decent amount so I know the basics, but is there one "ultra main condensed read-me-if-you'll-read-anything" post or site I should check out? Will check back through the last 10 pages or so to see if anyone asked a similar question. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ground Cinnamon - B minus - again a pleasant surprise, as I was going for the "dessert" angle.  I think I under seasoned it as well....Cinnamon is pretty powerful, so I wanted to be careful....but i thoroughly enjoyed each bite that had the cinnamon on there.  Will attempt again next time
Interesting, I'll give this a shot.  I've mainly just been mixing up the spices I've been putting on (S&P, garlic salt, crushed red pepper, oregano, etc).  Different mixes of each just to keep it different.  Never thought of trying cinnamon though.  Might be a breakfast option since cinnamon is also an appetite suppressant, and I'm usually overly hungry by lunch.

Get a bag of potatoes. 

Boil a few in a pot, with at least an inch of water above them, for 15 to 18 minutes after the water starts to boil. 

Refrigerate them overnight. 

THEN, do whatever with them. Once you pull them out of the fridge you can make wedges, cubes, hash, "fries", whatever. 
Add a little vinegar in the water when it boils.

Interesting, I'll give this a shot.  I've mainly just been mixing up the spices I've been putting on (S&P, garlic salt, crushed red pepper, oregano, etc).  Different mixes of each just to keep it different.  Never thought of trying cinnamon though.  Might be a breakfast option since cinnamon is also an appetite suppressant, and I'm usually overly hungry by lunch.
yeah, i wish i would've brought some to work today for breakfast :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread