Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)

Bought a hybrid bike last week, I’m up to 14 miles in a little over an hour. Lots of hills here in Marin but hopefully I’ll be at 20 miles Thursday and then try and do that 5 days a week. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 20.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Otis

• AAABatteries

• bostonfred

• DA RAIDERS

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, tr

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 20

I see the obvious problem here. A guy whose magnum opus on FBGs starts with "so I loan this chick I don't know 3 racks" called BS on me for saying I averaged a loss of 8 lbs a week on a diet. That is 

Posted Images

Wife and I were doing great for more than a month. Working out together every day except Sat/Sun. She stopped about 3 weeks ago and other than a few push-ups and a few squats I haven't done anything. 

I worked out a little light today just to get the rust off. Ill take it slow tomorrow and then ramp it back up. 

With the wife and both TEENAGE daughters home all day we've been treating it almost like a vacation. Time to get back on a schedule. 

:TightensHeadbandLikeRambo:

• Like 1

50 minutes of walking today. My back tried to talk me out of it, but I managed my regular midday walk. There will be no evening walk, I barely made it to the mailbox and back.

We're expecting rain, and I haven't had a day off since 3/15. Kinda rooting for bad weather. :lmao:

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

50 minutes of walking today. My back tried to talk me out of it, but I managed my regular midday walk. There will be no evening walk, I barely made it to the mailbox and back.

We're expecting rain, and I haven't had a day off since 3/15. Kinda rooting for bad weather. :lmao:

Umbrellas down?

44 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

I'll just deal with a sprinkle, but no, I'm not powerwalking in the rain, because that looks insane.

I'm pretty sure all powerwalkers inherently look insane, so don't let the rain get in the way.

PS....Is your name Karen, and do you wear a fanny pack?

1 hour ago, kevzilla said:

Don't listen to Otis. Your body is asking for an off day. Listen to it. 

• Like 1

82 minutes today.  Walk/jog and yoga, blahblah.  Maybe I'll shake it up tomorrow and hit the incline trainer.  woohoo.

By the way, thanks to @E-Z Glider (I think) for the Yoga with Adriene recommendation.  Like her a lot.

4/1 - 81

4/2 - 67

4/3 - 62

4/4 - 103

4/5 - 100

4/6 - 86

4/7 - 82

Total:  581

• Like 5

4/1 - 295.2 lbs; 60 min recumbent bike; 565 active cal; 739 total cal.  60 Total Minutes.

4/2 - 296.0 lbs; 60 min recumbent bike; 617 active cal; 790 total cal.  120 total Minutes.

4/3 - 296.6 lbs; 60 min recumbent bike; 601 active cal; 776 total cal.  180 Total Minutes.

4/4 - 296.0 lbs: 30 min recumbent bike; 261 active cal; 347 total cal.  210 total minutes.  

4/5 - 294.6 lbs; 45 min recumbent bike; 414 active cal.; 544 total cal.  255 total minutes.

4/6 - 294.8 lbs; 45 min recumbent bike; 486 active cal.; 616 total cal.  300 total minutes.

4/7 - 294.4 lbs; 24 min walk & 30 min recumbent bike; 405 active cal; 561 total cal; 354 total minutes.

• Like 2
On 4/3/2020 at 4:44 PM, Redwes25 said:

Ok, feel like I am losing progress here. I lost 30 lbs and then Covid pandemic hit the world. I have tried to continue to eat well but definitely not keeping track or doing as well. Also I moved to our beach house to escape NYC proper so left peloton bike behind, which I had used to get in best fitness shape in decades.  I have tried running but I can’t do it as it is tough on joints and my already bad back and more then two runs a week and I am limping around the house.  Did a run this morning and to be honest I was gassed after about two thirds of a run I had been able to complete when I first got here.  Very depressing.

One bright side is I don’t have a scale at beach house so don’t know what the damage has been. This place has always been an escape for me where I don’t worry about stuff like my weight but guess that needs to change. 

Buy a real bike?

• Thinking 1
On 4/7/2020 at 12:37 AM, kevzilla said:

Only Otis gets to quit in here, soldier! I've been working from home for years. Should I just resign myself to looking like Jabba the Hutt forever? Not a chance.

That is totally not true. Zow has quit in this thread a number of times ;) 

• Thinking 1

Since I have been running like a maniac but not losing weight I tracked my food yesterday. I had thought I was doing decent with just a few snacks during the day, boy was I wrong. 

I am allowed 35 points on WW and I had 50!  A little cheese here, a piece of chocolate there, a spoon of guacamole, beef instead of chicken, etc.   1 or 2 bad choices may be tolerable but 5 or 6 is sabotaging my plan. 

I suggest anyone at a plateau to write down everything and you will see why. 

• Like 3

50 Min Walk this Morning

50 Min Walk this afternoon

5 Miles, 11,000+ steps,

Thru 4/8- 795 Minutes, hoping to hop on the bikes tonight for a while to see the moon again, it was amazing last night and also this morning even as the sun was rising you could still see this amazing moon along my walk. 

I'm hearing France is banning outdoor exercise...I truly hope that doesn't happen here in the States. That's all I'm gonna say. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

50 Min Walk this Morning

50 Min Walk this afternoon

5 Miles, 11,000+ steps,

Thru 4/8- 795 Minutes, hoping to hop on the bikes tonight for a while to see the moon again, it was amazing last night and also this morning even as the sun was rising you could still see this amazing moon along my walk. 

I'm hearing France is banning outdoor exercise...I truly hope that doesn't happen here in the States. That's all I'm gonna say. 

Banning outdoor exercise would be a colossal mistake IMO

Started my 3rd day of t25 and am super sore stopped halfway....

That's ok though. I know this is for people in better shape so I got some workout in also went outside with my kid for a bit

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, belljr said:

That's ok though. I know this is for people in better shape so I got some workout in also went outside with my kid for a bit

I was sore in my neck and shoulders after my second day of this yoga program.  Better now, but must have been working some muscles I hadn't used in a while!

As for me, 86 minutes today, walking/jogging/yoga.  Through Day 19/100 of my current Tecumseh challenge. 

4/1 - 81

4/2 - 67

4/3 - 62

4/4 - 103

4/5 - 100

4/6 - 86

4/7 - 82

4/8 - 86

Total:  667

• Like 5

My oldest daughter’s birthday.  I rowed a 10k this morning so that’s good. And ate healthy and light all day. Until the Italian feast and red wine and birthday cake. Oh yeah. And I don’t regret a moment of it. 

lean eating tomorrow. 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, belljr said:

What is t25 again?

Today was a struggle.  Just wasn't feeling it but forced myself to do 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.  Pace was slower than my normal slow pace.  LOL  Still I'm +112 minutes for the month (based upon 34min/day to get to 1020 for the month). I'm on a good roll 12 days in a row and 17 or 18 days with at least 30 minutes of dedicated exercise.

4/1 - 295.2 lbs; 60 min recumbent bike; 565 active cal; 739 total cal.  60 Total Minutes.

4/2 - 296.0 lbs; 60 min recumbent bike; 617 active cal; 790 total cal.  120 total Minutes.

4/3 - 296.6 lbs; 60 min recumbent bike; 601 active cal; 776 total cal.  180 Total Minutes.

4/4 - 296.0 lbs: 30 min recumbent bike; 261 active cal; 347 total cal.  210 total minutes.  

4/5 - 294.6 lbs; 45 min recumbent bike; 414 active cal.; 544 total cal.  255 total minutes.

4/6 - 294.8 lbs; 45 min recumbent bike; 486 active cal.; 616 total cal.  300 total minutes.

4/7 - 294.4 lbs; 24 min walk & 30 min recumbent bike; 405 active cal; 561 total cal; 354 total minutes.

4/8 - 294.4 lbs; 30 min recumbent bike; 21 active cal; 305 total cal.  384 total minutes.  

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, cheeseypoof said:

Today was a struggle.  Just wasn't feeling it but forced myself to do 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.  Pace was slower than my normal slow pace.  LOL  Still I'm +112 minutes for the month (based upon 34min/day to get to 1020 for the month). I'm on a good roll 12 days in a row and 17 or 18 days with at least 30 minutes of dedicated exercise.

4/8 - 294.4 lbs; 30 min recumbent bike; 21 active cal; 305 total cal.  384 total minutes.  

You're doing great.  If your body is saying no, then listen to your body (hi @MAC_32), but if it's your mind, it is fantastic of you to push through it.  When I'm not feeling it mentally, I remind myself that I have never once regretted getting a workout in.  I used to say this to get myself out hiking, because sometimes those early a.m. wakeups just were not making me happy, but I've never regretted going on a hike.  Since I can't hike right now, I've applied the same mindset to working out and found it's the same, like this morning when I was definitely not feeling the yoga - but I'm always happy I did it!

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
On 1/9/2020 at 10:34 PM, Tiger Fan said:

Averaged 8,000 steps/day in 2019 (got a desk job 👎, so hard to get in good steps during the day).  Set a goal of 10k steps per day in 2020.  Have averaged 11k so far 💪

Still going strong averaging 11k steps per day.  Strangely the CV has helped b/c I can get outside and take walks during the day when I'm on calls.  Miss those 18k step days of playing basketball though.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I was sore in my neck and shoulders after my second day of this yoga program.  Better now, but must have been working some muscles I hadn't used in a while!

As for me, 86 minutes today, walking/jogging/yoga.  Through Day 19/100 of my current Tecumseh challenge. 

Reveal hidden contents

4/1 - 81

4/2 - 67

4/3 - 62

4/4 - 103

4/5 - 100

4/6 - 86

4/7 - 82

4/8 - 86

Total:  667

Dang, nice job. 

What is the Tecumseh Challenge?

Mrs and I took the bikes down to a little bridge in our neighborhood, boats pass under and it's kinda romantic. 

We watched the moon rise tonight and it was red/orange like last night, bright and just a treat to watch from where we were perched. Did feel the legs getting tired as we looped around the golf course on the way back. 

60 Minutes of actual riding. 855 total for April.

• Love 1

BTW - I remember a year ago when I used to do these Youtube HIIT/Tabata workouts, I couldn't even complete them.  Now I'm finding them to be challenging and yet completely doable.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, Tecumseh said:
On 3/23/2020 at 9:00 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

what is the Tecumseh challenge?

100 consecutive days of at least 20 minutes of intentional activity- walking, swimming, running, basketball, whatever you wish. It just has to be something above and beyond your normal routine. Krista tweaked it to her needs, and was actually doing an hour per day. Also, I was paying myself $10 per day, so at the end of 100 days I would have $1000 that I could blow on whatever I wanted to. Krista bought a house for each day. So, you know, small tweaks.

@Ministry of Pain

• Thanks 1
On 4/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, Keerock said:

34K steps yesterday between my morning walk and then yard work!

That's a lot of steps.

I'm at 29,388 right now for the day. I've never hit 30K before. I could go walk around the block to get there, but I'm not going to.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, krista4 said:
On 3/23/2020 at 10:26 PM, Tecumseh said:
On 3/23/2020 at 9:00 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

what is the Tecumseh challenge?

100 consecutive days of at least 20 minutes of intentional activity- walking, swimming, running, basketball, whatever you wish. It just has to be something above and beyond your normal routine. Krista tweaked it to her needs, and was actually doing an hour per day. Also, I was paying myself $10 per day, so at the end of 100 days I would have $1000 that I could blow on whatever I wanted to. Krista bought a house for each day. So, you know, small tweaks.

Okay, I'm in. I'm on Day 16 of at least an hour a day of bipedal locomotion (more walking than running so far, but I'm starting to get into slow jogging).

• Like 2
  • Otis changed the title to Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)