What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

Oh man, I just can’t see doing evenings. I’m so shot. Gotta be morning. 

I think I just need some more balance in my life. No fad diets, just a little bit of everything.  No overdoing it with alcohol. A little exercise each day even if it’s a walk. A little time away from work to clear my mind and spend some more time with the fam. A little more “me time,” and just better balance.  In the end I think that’s the solution. 
Try lunch time.  I used to be a workout in the morning guy but not since Covid.  No longer set an alarm but usually wake up around 6.  Read a bit then out for a short am walk with the dog.  Not too long (20m) as my mind starts racing what is awaiting me in my home office.

Get back from the walk, tackle work for a solid 4-5 hours then out to the garage with some tunes and a workout.  Feels great and then I’m back to work pretty quickly so I don’t feel things can pile up too long during my brief break.

then in late afternoon/evening try to get a little cardio via bike or peloton or walk with the wife.  To be honest, would say the evening walk with the wife has replaced the evening drink since end of May, 2 birds 1 stone.

The alarm went off for 30 minutes before I heard it this morning. Still pulled some clothes on and got out there. I wasn't awesome, but I got around my loop. The step-counting app on my phone is deranged, showing I went for a 17-minute and 11-minute walk, when I'm pretty sure it was one 48-minute slog.  Undercounted my steps by 2K, too.

Of course, tech problems are not actual problems. The important thing is that I got out there, as opposed to rolling over and getting more sleep.

Still following the thread.  Doing alright diet wise.  Fell off the exercise wagon.  I still have a little GAF left, cause it’s concerning me.  Need to get back on the wagon.  Overall, weight has been stable without the exercise.
I'd like to 2nd this motion

I have not been checking in and will do a fresh update tonight or tomorrow. I had a meltdown on a Court with a gentleman(loose term) who isn't as excited about my recent weight loss as others seem to be and there's one in every bunch/group. He got irate because I requested a simple mark or spot checked on a serve and all mayhem broke loose.  I got him so upset finally he informed everyone(3 courts, 12 players, I #### you not) that he retired at 50 because he has so much money...how that became a talking point I'm not sure but it has something to do with when I called him dumb and stupid...like I said it didn't end well. 

I have been exercising a lot even though i have been eating like total crap. I've been transparent that many of the foods most adults consume, they are triggers for me. Example, I cannot eat red meat, drink a lot of alcohol, eat much sugar, eat anything high in fat, etc...these things do more than push my weight in the wrong direction or make me have to visit the john 4x a day(yeah some of you know exactly what i mean), they cause me to push people away that I love or that love me. 

That's all I really want to say right now, weight is about where I left off but it has been up n down all over the last 2-3 weeks, mostly because I made poor choices in terms of eating and alcohol consumption. 

I hope everyone is well, i need to scroll and catch up. 

Try lunch time.  I used to be a workout in the morning guy but not since Covid.  No longer set an alarm but usually wake up around 6.  Read a bit then out for a short am walk with the dog.  Not too long (20m) as my mind starts racing what is awaiting me in my home office.
Maybe try sitting down for a few minutes before your walk and write down your schedule for the day and anything you're worried about. Then write down a goal of some kind. Im going to quietly enjoy my walk today. I want to focus on my breathing. Or I want to think about that work thing. Whatever. When you get back, go back to your list and make any changes you thought of while you were walking. 

30 minute row this morning. Tee’d up by a day of reasonable eating and light drinking yesterday. It’s meaningless until I do it every day, but it’s something. Feels good. 

Going to try and put myself and my health first a bit more, particularly with regard to work. Mrs. O made a comment last night that stuck with me, I’ve thought about it a lot since: “you have to stop being such a dog for your work.”  She’s so right. 

So, here’s to the start of a good week. We’ll exercise. We’ll eat salads and grain bowls. We won’t get shhammered constantly. And we won’t let work stress or anxiety run the narrative. 

Happy Monday gang, good luck on your various journeys. 

Oats 

Walked at a nice, comfortable pace this morning. Not a quick one, as it was 19:01. But I have decided that rather than chase ephemeral "improvements," I'm going to err on the side of eliminating repetitive stress injuries. I've felt some tweaks in my feet lately, and there is no point to exercise that causes injury.

Still doing the whole food plant-based diet and have really gotten into cycling in the time I was suspended from here.  I think I've been at this diet for almost 2.5 months and it's feeling like a lifestyle now.  I'm too lazy to actually get a scale, so I can't say for certain how much I weighed when I started this or how much I weigh now, but I'm at the point where this might get spendy because my pants are all too loose and I don't know how feasible it is to just keep tightening the belt.  I'm down 2 holes on my belts, and well on my way to being down 3 holes.  

I've never been exactly "fat", but it's been a while since I was skinny.  In the past I've done weight loss contests with co-workers and friends, and I can get myself to lose 15 pounds in a few weeks, but it's torture and simply not sustainable.  This has been a slow, gradual, but consistent journey.  I'm really finding support groups, whether in person or on the internet, help motivate me to improve.  There may be people biking 100 mile rides in these groups, which I know I'm not ready for, but it has me wanting to try 50 miles.

By the way, WTF is up with this rowing trend?  I have a bunch of Facebook friends who are suddenly all about it, and I see it mentioned in here a bunch too.

I need to catch up on what is happening in here but I did want to update and share. 

Huge depression swing over the weekend, mostly due to alcohol and people shoving things at me that were not good to eat, sometimes you just can't say no, well at least I can't. 

The rest of this is going to be very positive. First of all i am going to visit my son in St Pete for a couple days to help him celebrate his 21st...mine was epic but we didn't have any of the current pandemic to navigate, but we're going to push forward together and that really is all that matters. Mrs will be there, his g/f as well, they are going to travel back with us about 200 miles to Jupiter and stay with us for a few days, we have been working feverishly to finish off home projects which is part of the reason I haven't been around as much. 

I cannot thank everyone enough for encouraging me to continue with everything I've been doing. Too much tennis IMO, not enough runs and cycles of late. I have managed to keep my weight in relative check however I haven't lost any more at the moment, but that's not sad, still down a solid 30-35 since the CV-19, it's all good. 

I did a run/walk today, 3 miles in 45 minutes, sweaty mess when i got back home. It felt good though, hard to explain. 

We're going to have a good time the next few days, I need to seriously pace myself, going to be with family for the next week, will check back in next Mon or Tue. @bostonfred @cheeseypoof @The Flying Turtle @kevzilla @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @krista4 @Zasada @MAC_32 and there's a few others I'm forgetting but I just need to thank you for waking me up to what time it is. I will still work in a few runs the next many days to balance some of the junk that will inevitably find its way in. 

Cheers!

@Maurile Tremblay...how could I forget?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to catch up on what is happening in here but I did want to update and share. 

Huge depression swing over the weekend, mostly due to alcohol and people shoving things at me that were not good to eat, sometimes you just can't say no, well at least I can't. 

The rest of this is going to be very positive. First of all i am going to visit my son in St Pete for a couple days to help him celebrate his 21st...mine was epic but we didn't have any of the current pandemic to navigate, but we're going to push forward together and that really is all that matters. Mrs will be there, his g/f as well, they are going to travel back with us about 200 miles to Jupiter and stay with us for a few days, we have been working feverishly to finish off home projects which is part of the reason I haven't been around as much. 

I cannot thank everyone enough for encouraging me to continue with everything I've been doing. Too much tennis IMO, not enough runs and cycles of late. I have managed to keep my weight in relative check however I haven't lost any more at the moment, but that's not sad, still down a solid 30-35 since the CV-19, it's all good. 

I did a run/walk today, 3 miles in 45 minutes, sweaty mess when i got back home. It felt good though, hard to explain. 

We're going to have a good time the next few days, I need to seriously pace myself, going to be with family for the next week, will check back in next Mon or Tue. @bostonfred @cheeseypoof @The Flying Turtle @kevzilla @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @krista4 @Zasada @MAC_32 and there's a few others I'm forgetting but I just need to thank you for waking me up to what time it is. I will still work in a few runs the next many days to balance some of the junk that will inevitably find its way in. 

Cheers!

@Maurile Tremblay...how could I forget?
I'm glad you posted!  Hadn't seen you in here and was pretty sure this 21st birthday was coming up.  Have a wonderful time with the family!!

Just checking in for grins.  Started the year at 236, which is way too high for my 5'11".  Was around 220 in early May.

Right now I'm at 206.  Would like to get down around 190 and stay there.  I could probably lose faster if I didn't drink Fri-Sun, but where's the fun in that?  I do need to cut back on the amount I've been drinking tho, as it's gotten a little out of hand.  Wife is also doing all this with me, which has been nice.  (Also a lot more  :pickle:  than normal, which is very nice.) 

I've been tracking calories using MFP.  I also did @bostonfred's May challenge of 1000 exercise minutes and just kept going.  I have been walking about an hour a day, 6 days a week, and averaging over 10k steps/day.  I also just finished week 2 of the 'Just 6 weeks' push up challenge.  The push ups are already starting to have an impact on my upper body and abs, but there's a long way to go.  Also have started trying a few yoga sessions, just to get more limber and keep from hurting something.  Will take recommendations on good yoga for beginners.

Carry on all.  You've got this.

Thanks to all that introduced the Yoga with Adrienne. It is very easy to follow and I don’t feel overmatched at all. I was dreading day 6 based on the comments, but I didn’t think it was too bad. 

On Saturday I was craving chocolate, but decided to distract myself with Yoga instead and it actually worked!

Still doing the whole food plant-based diet and have really gotten into cycling in the time I was suspended from here.  I think I've been at this diet for almost 2.5 months and it's feeling like a lifestyle now.  I'm too lazy to actually get a scale, so I can't say for certain how much I weighed when I started this or how much I weigh now, but I'm at the point where this might get spendy because my pants are all too loose and I don't know how feasible it is to just keep tightening the belt.  I'm down 2 holes on my belts, and well on my way to being down 3 holes.  

I've never been exactly "fat", but it's been a while since I was skinny.  In the past I've done weight loss contests with co-workers and friends, and I can get myself to lose 15 pounds in a few weeks, but it's torture and simply not sustainable.  This has been a slow, gradual, but consistent journey.  I'm really finding support groups, whether in person or on the internet, help motivate me to improve.  There may be people biking 100 mile rides in these groups, which I know I'm not ready for, but it has me wanting to try 50 miles.

By the way, WTF is up with this rowing trend?  I have a bunch of Facebook friends who are suddenly all about it, and I see it mentioned in here a bunch too.
Down a solid 20lbs (pre pandemic weight loss) and holding as "The Reluctant Vegetarian" in my house. 80-90% plant based diet. I "cheat" at lunch- running with my cold cut habit in the office- and we do eggs and cheese. But with all of the plant based faux meat products to help put old favorites- spaghetti and meatballs, beef chili, etc on the table- you don't need the real stuff. Just came across the most awesome plant based burger this past week- Beyond Burger. Try em'! Your welcome.  ;)  

Took a bit of a cheat day yesterday, had way too many pretzel thins and wine but still did my yoga and a run so I'm not stressed about it. Getting ready for day 23 of yoga with Adriene and it sounds like a big arm day. I'm kind of looking forward to it. 

Edit: side planks. Man I hate side planks. 

Its a great home exercise. It's cardio but it's also a full body workout, and a good rower is cheaper than a good treadmill. I'm probably going to buy one eventually and alternate with my running. 

Down a solid 20lbs (pre pandemic) as "The Reluctant Vegetarian" in my house. 80-90% plant based diet. I "cheat" at lunch- running with my cold cut habit in the office- and we do eggs and cheese. But with all of the plant based faux meat products to help put old favorites- spaghetti and meatballs, beef chili, etc on the table. Just came across the most awesome plant based burger this past week- Beyond Burger. Try em'! Your welcome.  ;)  
I would say I am about 80% WFPB and 90% vegan.  I have all but eliminated dairy, eggs, and processed sugar from my diet, but have eaten the occasional meat.  I am trying to cut out as much added oil as I can, but cutting that out entirely is a lot more difficult.  Beyond Burgers are very good, but for what I am doing fall into the "cheat" category as my main goal is to avoid highly processed foods.

Down a solid 20lbs (pre pandemic weight loss) and holding as "The Reluctant Vegetarian" in my house. 80-90% plant based diet. I "cheat" at lunch- running with my cold cut habit in the office- and we do eggs and cheese. But with all of the plant based faux meat products to help put old favorites- spaghetti and meatballs, beef chili, etc on the table- you don't need the real stuff. Just came across the most awesome plant based burger this past week- Beyond Burger. Try em'! Your welcome.  ;)  
I think both the Beyond Meat bratwurst and Italian sausage are great.

I would say I am about 80% WFPB and 90% vegan.  I have all but eliminated dairy, eggs, and processed sugar from my diet, but have eaten the occasional meat.  I am trying to cut out as much added oil as I can, but cutting that out entirely is a lot more difficult.  Beyond Burgers are very good, but for what I am doing fall into the "cheat" category as my main goal is to avoid highly processed foods.
Why is that your main goal? Is there a specific medical reason for you or is that something you think everyone should do?

Why is that your main goal? Is there a specific medical reason for you or is that something you think everyone should do?
I don't want to be preachy, but it's probably something everyone should do.  Other than improving my overall health there is not really a medical condition I'm concerned about, but I found out I am allergic to corn a few years ago, which is in damn near everything.  I can eat tons of white rice and not feel satisfied, but if I sub it for brown rice it not only has more nutritional value, it fills me up way better.  By not adding calorie bombs like sugar and oil to foods I can eat as much as I want of things like potatoes, rice, and pasta while still losing weight.

Rowing is awesome. Love that it’s a trend. Works more of your body than anything!  True total body workout and calorie burnathon. 

Hey @eaganwildcats, have you looked at any of the rowing workout dudes?  Like the Peloton of rowing apps?  Like asensei?  I downloaded it but haven’t tried. Really I’m struggling to motivate because music is boring me and I don’t workout as hard when I watch TV while I tow. Maybe I’ll get into these workouts with the instructors?  I’ve never been into that thing and haven’t really gotten it (the whole spin culture) but I’ve also never really tried.  Should we give it a whirl?

I need some new motivation in a bad way. Because I’m one fat dude. 

Rowing is awesome. Love that it’s a trend. Works more of your body than anything!  True total body workout and calorie burnathon. 
I'm not questioning it's effectiveness as a workout.  I've just never heard of anyone doing it regularly until about a month ago.  Keep at it, GB.

Hey @eaganwildcats, have you looked at any of the rowing workout dudes?  Like the Peloton of rowing apps?  Like asensei?  I downloaded it but haven’t tried. Really I’m struggling to motivate because music is boring me and I don’t workout as hard when I watch TV while I tow. Maybe I’ll get into these workouts with the instructors?  I’ve never been into that thing and haven’t really gotten it (the whole spin culture) but I’ve also never really tried.  Should we give it a whirl?

I need some new motivation in a bad way. Because I’m one fat dude. 
I haven’t found any that work well but would be game. Just downloaded asensei and shall give it a whirl tonight - will report back. 

👍

I'm not questioning it's effectiveness as a workout.  
If you've been following Otis, you should be. 

He needs to cycle and take those three lovely children for a spin and leave mom to do whatever moms do when left to their own devices. That's easy for me to say from this laptop, the man is working by candlelight in the attic so I am sympathetic. 

Run Otis Run

One more because I owed you all for having faith in me so I decided to run another 3 miles tonight in my fastest time yet, 39:00. I definitely ran more than I walked and I am going to pass out tonight with a smile on my face. 

3 Miles-45:00 around Noon today, that was exhausting and 3 Miles-39:00 tonight at Sunset, my knees are going to be the size of softballs in the morning before I hit the road. 

Never in my life did I ever see myself running and still don't think I am one until I rack up some miles but I am widening my active sports. Going to run the new St Pete Pier while we are up there. 

started yoga with Adrienne today.  she's quite pleasant.  i have a semi decent base of yoga knowledge.  day one was quite easy.  looking forward to day 6.  does she have other 'classes' on line?  

going to start doing 100 push ups every day again.  no gym is the suck.

ans i'm at 26 miles.  gonna need to pick up the pace to get to 50 for the month.

appreciate y'all

One more because I owed you all for having faith in me so I decided to run another 3 miles tonight in my fastest time yet, 39:00. I definitely ran more than I walked and I am going to pass out tonight with a smile on my face. 

3 Miles-45:00 around Noon today, that was exhausting and 3 Miles-39:00 tonight at Sunset, my knees are going to be the size of softballs in the morning before I hit the road. 

Never in my life did I ever see myself running and still don't think I am one until I rack up some miles but I am widening my active sports. Going to run the new St Pete Pier while we are up there. 
I don't see how you can do that in the kind of heat and humidity you must be experiencing.  Amazing job!

ice your knees.  it helps

Couldn't sleep Saturday night (SHOCKING) so I got up very early and did 18 miles yesterday.  Actually I should say 15, then watered the lawn and plants, and then did three more miles.  I'm still weighing in on Mondays even though I don't do WW anymore.  Despite having an 18-mile and a 15-mile day last week (and being active for at least an hour on other days), I still gained a pound.  That should tell you how ####ty my diet is right now.

If you've been following Otis, you should be. 

He needs to cycle and take those three lovely children for a spin and leave mom to do whatever moms do when left to their own devices. That's easy for me to say from this laptop, the man is working by candlelight in the attic so I am sympathetic. 

Run Otis Run
It sounds incredibly boring to me.  One of the joys I'm finding with cycling is how much of a different perspective it gives me.  I'm outdoors, enjoying the breeze in my face, and exploring parts of the surrounding areas that I never knew existed.  It's a great activity for the kids and family to enjoy together.  

The Peloton craze also seems to be picking up.  One of my FB friends who is detached from reality just announced to her FB world that she is the proud new owner of a Peloton, 3 weeks to the day that she scoffed at how much I was willing to spend on an actual bike.

I haven’t found any that work well but would be game. Just downloaded asensei and shall give it a whirl tonight - will report back. 
This was cool - @Otis would recommend. The app interface and onboarding flow bothers the product manager in me a little bit but it works. We shall see how it progresses but will likely be paying the 12.50 per month for membership. I really liked being able to follow stroke for stroke with the dude leading the class. Feels like it will help with form. 

This was cool - @Otis would recommend. The app interface and onboarding flow bothers the product manager in me a little bit but it works. We shall see how it progresses but will likely be paying the 12.50 per month for membership. I really liked being able to follow stroke for stroke with the dude leading the class. Feels like it will help with form. 
I mean if you are going to write something like this at least include the word rowing in the somewhere 

Couldn't sleep Saturday night (SHOCKING) so I got up very early and did 18 miles yesterday.  Actually I should say 15, then watered the lawn and plants, and then did three more miles.  I'm still weighing in on Mondays even though I don't do WW anymore.  Despite having an 18-mile and a 15-mile day last week (and being active for at least an hour on other days), I still gained a pound.  That should tell you how ####ty my diet is right now.
There's nothing wrong with getting exercise and putting on a little weight once in a while. You can improve your fitness without improving your weight. In the long run if you are good about your exercise and usually good about diet you'll be fine. 

bostonfred said:
I mean if you are going to write something like this at least include the word rowing in the somewhere 
Having a problem with me going stroke for stroke with the nice man on the iPad? Best get back to your hot yoga. 

bostonfred said:
There's nothing wrong with getting exercise and putting on a little weight once in a while. You can improve your fitness without improving your weight. In the long run if you are good about your exercise and usually good about diet you'll be fine. 
Yes, I'm not worried about it.

bostonfred said:
Rowing is basically the default now. For every post. 

Ministry of Pain said:

MOP- take this from a guy who ran competitively into his 30's, then not so competitively into his 40's :oldunsure: ...then thought that he could hit the roads any time he wanted to and hammer out some sweet little ol' 5K's....and ran himself into two meniscus repairs in his 50's, a battery of Synvisc injections and a stern warning from my surgeon not to run unless I wanted to go the bionic knee route much earlier than "necessary." :hangover:

So I walk. Work those quads (the brakes/shock absorbers for those knees in running dynamics) and think in terms of LSD, not "fastest." Be patient. ;)

GAFs rising from the ashes...

Rowed this morning, second time this week.  Also, as noted above, I started using a new rowing app asensei.  It’s kind of like Peloton for rowing, you connect your phone to the Concept 2 and the app tracks your progress on screen against goals, and you get these Olympic rowing instructors.   First workout was kind of easy but I was still sweating hard from the sprint at the end, and got in a decent row.  I want to do the entire 6 week program from start to finish, good for technique if nothing else.  I have no idea what you do after you finish the program, but we’ll see—hoping there are some kinds of workouts I can carry forward beyond that.  But that’s a problem 6 weeks away, and would be a great one to have if I can complete that much.

Mrs. O has started going for walks in the mornings, which is good, because then, like our old routine, she makes time to hold down the fort while I row.  Team effort.

Also during my work day chained into the attic, I’m starting to drop and do some push-ups here and there, during conference calls etc. when I’m not on video.  I figure if I start rowing daily and then doing push-ups, that’s a 100% total body workout, it’s strength training and cardio training, it’s everything I need.  So, if I can cement this into a routine, I’ll never need for exercise. 

We’re eating healthier too.  Nothing dramatic, but just not going off the rails with the junk food.  And passing on stuff like McDonald’s, and instead ordering in a salad or grain bowl from Chopt.  That kind of thing.  And we’re drinking, but staying in the safe zone (white wine spritzers—just enough to relax a little at the end of the day, but don’t take on a tremendous amount of useless calories, and don’t get hammered and start raiding donuts and pizza; also feel fine in the morning).  

So, some GAFs discovered, and we’ll see if we can make some of these modest changes stick.

Go get ‘em today folks. 

Otis I’m a big fan of dropping and doing  25 push ups throughout the day.  When I’m motivated I end up doing 75-100 in a day and can definitely see the results. 
Thanks for the asensei recommendation, hoping it will work with the PM3 monitor. 

Otis I’m a big fan of dropping and doing  25 push ups throughout the day.  When I’m motivated I end up doing 75-100 in a day and can definitely see the results. 
Thanks for the asensei recommendation, hoping it will work with the PM3 monitor. 
I think I may have read somewhere it only works with the PM5 — you should check.  

Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread