What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

This is why the Apps help so much. On a scratch pad it seems easy to flub but when you put in what you just ate as you go thru the day into these little phones, it's a major help. Granted, people can just not report or use the App and I stopped a month or two back and have had a much more challenging time maintaining what I lost. When I use the App and track closely I tend to drop the weight more steadily. 
Agree that myfitnesspal and noom and ww/itrackbites help a lot of people to finally succeed at weight loss.  Right now I'm cutting weight and I will be tracking every day in myfitnesspal.  When I'm done I'll go back to maintaining without tracking, which is important to me because I don't want to be chained to an app for the rest of my life.  When I've been successful with this, I was still mentally tracking my calories most days, and if I went over, just adjusting the next day. I wouldn't have been able to do that without having learned to track my calories and getting an idea for how many calories are in foods I usually eat. 

walked 40 minutes to and from my local swimming hole and swam for an hour so far no food yet but ill have me a good wrap for lunch and then bike all over gods creation tonight i am at 545 km so far this month and should be able to polish off 600 by tomorrow night or saturday morning so basically lets goooooo take that to the bank bromigos 

The flip side to this ... Those official recommendations saying that if you do x minutes of daily exercise, you'll get y benefits -- they were based on self-reported activity. If you instead base it on actual activity as measured by wearable devices, it doesn't take nearly x minutes to get y benefits. There was an article about this in Nature last week. Exercise is even better for us than we thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
The flip side to this ... Those official recommendations saying that if you do x minutes of daily exercise, you'll get y benefits -- they were based on self-reported activity. If you instead base it on actual activity as measured by wearable devices, it doesn't take nearly x minutes to get even more than y benefits. There was an article about this in Nature last week. Exercise is even better for us than we thought.
This isn't the point of that study, but exercise is my key to everything. Without it I eat worse, drink more, am less effective at work, as a parent, husband, lack a positive outlet for stress relief, sleep terribly, etc.

Mrs. O and I both woke up with a headache and have had it all day.  Feels like a hangover.  It’s either from the alcohol or sugar withdrawal, I have no doubt—feels a bit like keto flu, which I’ve had a few times.  If experience is any indicator we should feel great starting tomorrow.

Also woke up really sore, both in my back and shoulders from yesterday’s spring rowing, and in my legs I assume from yoga stretching.  Decided to pass on rowing today and take a day off to rest.  Just finished Day 25 with our girl.  Super fast 12 minute thingy.  She gave me some free time and I tried the crow stuff.  Almost got it and then fell forward on my face.  But I’m so almost there...

No booze.  Healthy eating.  Blah blah blah.  

Mrs. O and I both woke up with a headache and have had it all day.  Feels like a hangover.  It’s either from the alcohol or sugar withdrawal, I have no doubt—feels a bit like keto flu, which I’ve had a few times.  If experience is any indicator we should feel great starting tomorrow.

Also woke up really sore, both in my back and shoulders from yesterday’s spring rowing, and in my legs I assume from yoga stretching.  Decided to pass on rowing today and take a day off to rest.  Just finished Day 25 with our girl.  Super fast 12 minute thingy.  She gave me some free time and I tried the crow stuff.  Almost got it and then fell forward on my face.  But I’m so almost there...

No booze.  Healthy eating.  Blah blah blah.  
You 4-5 days in?  Normal. May continue off and on for a week. 

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Yoga today was abs. After arms and abs yesterday.  My arms are still sore from yesterday but I was able to do most of the exercises without stopping. I paused briefly a little ways into the mountain climbers but convinced myself I just needed to see the video so it doesn't count.  Hopping on the treadmill soon, feel better after taking a night off yesterday. Eating ok but running out of fresh fruits and vegetables, going to have to make a grocery run soon and that is where I can get myself in trouble. Glll @Otis @SWC

@belljr how are you doing somfar

Also woke up really sore, both in my back and shoulders from yesterday’s spring rowing, and in my legs I assume from yoga stretching.
Probably just covid. :oldunsure:

Yoga today was abs. After arms and abs yesterday.  My arms are still sore from yesterday but I was able to do most of the exercises without stopping. I paused briefly a little ways into the mountain climbers but convinced myself I just needed to see the video so it doesn't count.  Hopping on the treadmill soon, feel better after taking a night off yesterday. Eating ok but running out of fresh fruits and vegetables, going to have to make a grocery run soon and that is where I can get myself in trouble. Glll @Otis @SWC

@belljr how are you doing somfar
Yeah, the first half was pretty much exactly the same stuff as yesterday, but sub that fun little roll up and down move for the side planks.  I liked that roll thing a lot.  The second half wasn't anything challenging but felt quite nice.  Good one today, albeit short.

You 4-5 days in?  Normal. May continue off and on for a week. 
Yup, today is day 5 in the bag. Finished with a falafel salad for dinner, followed by a lemon lime seltzer (I poured them in wine glasses), and I’m also having a cigar. Not good for me, I know. But I feel like I need to keep one random vice. I mean if I’m just walking around all day flexing abs at everyone people will just hate me. 

Did Adrienne golf yoga yesterday and then hard Peleton ride + golf today. 2 walks a day with the dog, stretching, core work and pushups mixed in. Haven’t given up booze though. Pinot last night and a vodka soda tonight. Baby steps 

yesterday afternoon i got in about 16 miles on my bike and had a bunch of vegetables and ground turkey for dinner ends up i came in about 1000 calories under for the day this morning i have walked and swam and had 1 cup of cheerios to eat so off to a great start and what kind of cheerios you may ask well honey nut because they are the best cheerios take that to the bank bromigos 

yesterday afternoon i got in about 16 miles on my bike and had a bunch of vegetables and ground turkey for dinner ends up i came in about 1000 calories under for the day this morning i have walked and swam and had 1 cup of cheerios to eat so off to a great start and what kind of cheerios you may ask well honey nut because they are the best cheerios take that to the bank bromigos 
You are a honey nut take that to the SWBhive cheeriomigo

Adriene Day 26 done.  4 more days.  Hoping Fred has something on deck for the next 30 days that won't kill me.

Didn't get much rowing in this week -- just two good rows.  Had hoped this morning but it wasn't in the cards; maybe this evening, and if not definitely this weekend.

That said, I've eaten great and avoided garbage, and haven't had any alcohol.  I cheated and jumped on the scale, down a few lbs it seems.  But need to keep plugging, a ways to go.

This weekend we have the in laws coming and I'm doing a backyard BBQ.  Tough one to pass up drinking and splurging, but I will.  No booze, I'll drink seltzer.  That said, Mrs. O suggested I allow myself meat that day, since I'll be grilling some excellent steak and ribs etc.  Steak has never killed anyone? (actually maybe it has).  But no birthday cake or any crap.  Just some seltzer and meat and veggies....

Onward. 

Adriene Day 26 done.  4 more days.  Hoping Fred has something on deck for the next 30 days that won't kill me.

Didn't get much rowing in this week -- just two good rows.  Had hoped this morning but it wasn't in the cards; maybe this evening, and if not definitely this weekend.

That said, I've eaten great and avoided garbage, and haven't had any alcohol.  I cheated and jumped on the scale, down a few lbs it seems.  But need to keep plugging, a ways to go.

This weekend we have the in laws coming and I'm doing a backyard BBQ.  Tough one to pass up drinking and splurging, but I will.  No booze, I'll drink seltzer.  That said, Mrs. O suggested I allow myself meat that day, since I'll be grilling some excellent steak and ribs etc.  Steak has never killed anyone? (actually maybe it has).  But no birthday cake or any crap.  Just some seltzer and meat and veggies....

Onward. 
https://www.delish.com/cooking/g1449/healthy-steak/

On August 1, I got my first 50 miles of walking in for the month.  I finished my second 50 miles on...August 27.  :bag:  
From April through July, I was getting 200+ miles per month. In August, even with 50.01 miles on the first day, I'm a bit short of 150 total.

I think I'm ready to get back to "normal" in September, though...

From April through July, I was getting 200+ miles per month. In August, even with 50.01 miles on the first day, I'm a bit short of 150 total.

I think I'm ready to get back to "normal" in September, though...
I just looked up my July, which was 163.  I've gotta get back to it.

Day 27 done. Have we lost Fred??

Last night was the first Friday night without booze. A struggle. But we did it.  Feels good to wake up on a Saturday morning without a hangover. 
Not at all GB but it was a test for me too. Finished day 6 of 65 with plenty of calories to spare after a decent day eating and a hard run on the treadmill. But it was also grocery shopping day and I had all the foods in the fridge yelling pick me, pick me!  And then my happy hour drinking buddy called.  

Pleased to report that I did not drink a drop, and stayed 21 calories under target on myfitnesspal, and when I woke up I had crashed through a number on the scale I'd been stuck at for a while. 

Which could be exactly the motivation I need because I have a live fantasy football draft tonight with my college friends (outdoor, masks and socially distanced in a big backyard)... but...

... maybe this is just me, but it's easy for me to be strong when I feel like I need to do this, but when I feel like I've accomplished something, I feel like I can celebrate.  In my head it's like I have already accomplished my long term goal because hey, I've done 6 days of this, I only have 59 more, I'm practically done. 

This is when I get into trouble and I feel like it is for you too.  We both need to get through this weekend without cheating. For you it's about having your steak, but eating your vegetables and keeping that diet on track with no alcohol. For me it's about getting my workout done early, and saving enough calories to eat (but not drink) with the guys.  Let's both report back tomorrow that we made it through our first full week together without a hitch. 

Not at all GB but it was a test for me too. Finished day 6 of 65 with plenty of calories to spare after a decent day eating and a hard run on the treadmill. But it was also grocery shopping day and I had all the foods in the fridge yelling pick me, pick me!  And then my happy hour drinking buddy called.  

Pleased to report that I did not drink a drop, and stayed 21 calories under target on myfitnesspal, and when I woke up I had crashed through a number on the scale I'd been stuck at for a while. 

Which could be exactly the motivation I need because I have a live fantasy football draft tonight with my college friends (outdoor, masks and socially distanced in a big backyard)... but...

... maybe this is just me, but it's easy for me to be strong when I feel like I need to do this, but when I feel like I've accomplished something, I feel like I can celebrate.  In my head it's like I have already accomplished my long term goal because hey, I've done 6 days of this, I only have 59 more, I'm practically done. 

This is when I get into trouble and I feel like it is for you too.  We both need to get through this weekend without cheating. For you it's about having your steak, but eating your vegetables and keeping that diet on track with no alcohol. For me it's about getting my workout done early, and saving enough calories to eat (but not drink) with the guys.  Let's both report back tomorrow that we made it through our first full week together without a hitch. 
Great points and agree. Note that given the uncertainty in the day I went downstairs and got in a 30 minute row after yoga. 👍

I've had the 2nd toenail on each foot removed. Twice. Dude said he may have gotten a bad batch of phenol the first time. He also took strips off each edge of the big toenail on each foot.

These ghastly nails, along with diabetic neuropathy, really work a hardship upon me regarding walking and yoga. Not gonna stop me.

The scale says I lost 2.0 pounds this week. Steady as she goes.

Advanced Adrienne is 57 minutes of “Shakti power flow.”  It strikes me that this could be difficult.
Starting it now. Did a hard run yesterday so I was looking forward to yoga for sore legs today, just finished it and I agree with what you said earlier. Not much of substance, even for a "just stretching" day.  Bonus - got to do that ####### cow legs pose and feel each nut roll up like a tube of toothpaste into my body. Horrific pose, never doing this again, just another example of the matriarchy oppressing male yoga students. 

Advanced Adrienne is 57 minutes of “Shakti power flow.”  It strikes me that this could be difficult.
This was a good flow and very leg heavy without just being lunge downward dog lunge downward dog... lots of chataranga but not a bunch of pushups... that flow where you do the warrior 2 facing the wrong way, then turn around and do it the right way was really good for the full body and I loved the squats and wide legged fold. My legs definitely feel it but I think I can still do my pushups today without dying which is great news.  Would definitely repeat this one in the future. 

This was a good flow and very leg heavy without just being lunge downward dog lunge downward dog... lots of chataranga but not a bunch of pushups... that flow where you do the warrior 2 facing the wrong way, then turn around and do it the right way was really good for the full body and I loved the squats and wide legged fold. My legs definitely feel it but I think I can still do my pushups today without dying which is great news.  Would definitely repeat this one in the future. 
Agreed, I liked this one, too, despite my "owie" comment.  There was never anything I couldn't do or where I had to stop, but I was definitely feeling it in my legs, so that was good.  I liked the wide-legged stuff near the end, too.

There was a point about 40 minutes in where she said, "Remember what brought you to the mat today," and I shouted "that ####### bostonfred," but that was the worst of it.

Agreed, I liked this one, too, despite my "owie" comment.  There was never anything I couldn't do or where I had to stop, but I was definitely feeling it in my legs, so that was good.  I liked the wide-legged stuff near the end, too.

There was a point about 40 minutes in where she said, "Remember what brought you to the mat today," and I shouted "that ####### bostonfred," but that was the worst of it.
I was pretty unhappy with him too during cow legs

Yoga’d, rowed, hosted a party with the in-laws and served some delicious rare IPAs without drinking a drop of alcohol myself.  We ordered in pizza and heros; had Mrs. O order me a special cauliflower pizza (crust made of out cauliflower, they actually are fantastic), skipped on all the delicious cakes and desserts.  Smoked a cigar and got hammered on flavored seltzers.  First Saturday checked off, a nice win.  

Yoga’d, rowed, hosted a party with the in-laws and served some delicious rare IPAs without drinking a drop of alcohol myself.  We ordered in pizza and heros; had Mrs. O order me a special cauliflower pizza (crust made of out cauliflower, they actually are fantastic), skipped on all the delicious cakes and desserts.  Smoked a cigar and got hammered on flavored seltzers.  First Saturday checked off, a nice win.  
Bet you can't do this tomorrow too.

5k on the rowing machine today along with a set of l 30 pushups (pretty much maxed out without losing form). 

Plan going forward is row a 5k at least 5 days a week and alternating the 100 push up challenge with ab-ripper x. 

Thanks to @bostonfred and @Otis and @kevzilla and @Ministry of Pain and  @krista4 and everyone else for keeping this going. 

Did a couple miles on the treadmill and week 4 day 1 of hundredpushups.com before my draft. Sets of 21/25/21/21/32 pushups - the only one that was difficult was the 32 at the end.

Salad for dinner, no booze, had a couple hundred calories leftover and didn't feel like spending them on anything, but I am getting hungry and have some to spare so i think I'm going to have a late night snack.  

@Ministry of Pain i tried your skyr - not bad, and I needed the protein today.  Thanks for the suggestion.

When you say hammered on flavored seltzer, are you talking about truly or just regular seltzer 

https://youtu.be/RKUNOvgM0Y4

Today's advanced flow is about 45 minutes and looks a lot like recent flows - chatarangas and lunges and three legged dogs with knee to nose and all that stuff - until we get to balance poses.  There's a new trick, alternating between standing pigeon and warrior 3, and repeating that for multiple reps on each side. I'm going to feel that tomorrow.  And then some new core exercises with a boat situp thing.  This looks like a challenging flow, so plan accordingly and wear something you don't mind sweating in. 

https://youtu.be/RKUNOvgM0Y4

Today's advanced flow is about 45 minutes and looks a lot like recent flows - chatarangas and lunges and three legged dogs with knee to nose and all that stuff - until we get to balance poses.  There's a new trick, alternating between standing pigeon and warrior 3, and repeating that for multiple reps on each side. I'm going to feel that tomorrow.  And then some new core exercises with a boat situp thing.  This looks like a challenging flow, so plan accordingly and wear something you don't mind sweating in. 
As expected, the first 30 minutes were good but pretty standard, the balance poses were seriously challenging, and then the boat ups sucked that last little bit of energy out of me. Not proud that I had to cheat a little to get back up to that last boat.  One nice moment today when she ####ed up balancing, like an actual human. And then she got all weird again when she saw a moth and thought it might be a religious experience.  

Users who are viewing this thread