What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

Love it, GB.  All of it.  Thanks for the motivation in here.  I was in a bad place and needed it.  This is all helping.  Let’s stay off the booze and keep at it.
I’m still off the booze.   It’s not that difficult during the week. 

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I stopped midway and fast forwarded to see what was left. The challenging move is downward facing dog.  Meditate on that. 
Fine, I'll go do it now.

By the way, do any of you actually "set an intention" or "go through your checklist" when she says to do that?  I'm not sure I even know what the latter means.

krista4 said:
Fine, I'll go do it now.

By the way, do any of you actually "set an intention" or "go through your checklist" when she says to do that?  I'm not sure I even know what the latter means.
I finished it.  Boring, but I could see it being good as something to wind down at the end of the day.  Unfortunately it's only 5 pm.

krista4 said:
Fine, I'll go do it now.

It's part of her medita5ion and mindfulness practice.. . meditation might actually be good for you and your sleep.  

Why they spend so much time on breathing ttps://youtu.be/n6pMbRiSBPs

TED Talk on mindfulness and setting intentions https://youtu.be/IeblJdB2-Vo

I  know it sounds like new age hippie bull#### and some of it totally is. Neuroplasticity is the new buzz word for weird people to justify acting weird.  But if you haven't learned about mindfulness maybe give it a shot..  I wouldn't link it if I didn't think it was worth it. 

Going through your checklist is something she says at different points, like when you go from forward fold to halfway lift, she says that a lot. She really wants you to get your upper body perpendicular to the legs - check - and get your back straight - check - and extend your spine so your head is away from your shoulders - check - and your neck is nice and straight - check - and also your elbows are back and even with your ribs - oops.  I always forget that part.  

Or when you're seated, check to make sure your sit bones are spread out and down, and your spine is lifted up straight, and your neck is straight and your shoulders down and your arms aren't pulling you out of alignment and so on.  She usually narrates the checklist for different poses but for the really common ones she doesn't do it every time, she'll just say OK get up into downward dog and pedal it out, go throughyour checklist and see if anything is sore today, take your dog for a walk and see how those hips and calves feel, etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone and congratulations to everyone who just finished their first or second 30 days of Yoga with Adriene. Nice job sticking with it, and thank you to everybody who posted about it in the thread. Seeing other people stick with this makes me feel like I need to stick with this too and you have all helped me so much.

I know a lot of us are on different schedules with the yoga now, including some people who have joined recently and that really makes me happy because I know how hard it was for me to get started and I am psyched for all of you and hope you find this as beneficial as I did. If you want to join with us on the next round of yoga practices and feel like you're up for the challenge, please do.  If you want to stick with the original 30 days of yoga playlist to build strength and understand what all the poses mean and how they work, you can join us at any time.  

I am going to curate the next few yoga sessions so we can find what we like as a group. Some people have mentioned that they want challenging practices, longer practices, quick practices they can do between meetings, daily practices, days off in between, practices that don't use a lot of arms... it's not going to be possible to do all of that every day, obviously, but I am going to try to find a good balance and the only way to do that is to hear back from you so please let me know your thoughts on the daily video and also my approach. 

Today's video is one we haven't done before from the yoga for weight loss series.  It's 45 minutes and does some good core work but it's a full body routine and does some good stretching along with some challenging poses. People finishing the advanced series will recognize most of these poses although there are a few small variations mixed in. People who are newer to the practice should like the amount of explanation she puts in - this is from 6 years ago, before she had a huge audience of regulars. 

Yoga for Weight Loss - Strengthen and Lengthen

Lastly, a reminder that anyone can start at any time and it's totally ok to take a rest day if you need to.  First timers might want to try Yoga woth Adriene - Yoga for Complete Beginners before jumping in, or do the "beginner" series from 2015 called 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene.  Our "advanced" group just finished a playlist called June 2020 Courage that was a bit more challenging than the original 30 days but had some easier days too. If you want to do those on your own and want me to remove you from the @ list below, just let me know. If you want to join us and be added to the list, or just want to follow along, let me know that too. 

And finally, a reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program. 

Namaste 🙏 

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus @Poke_4_Life @ragincajun @The Flying Turtle @Leeroy Jenkins @Judge Smails @kevzilla @belljr @Big Blue Wrecking Crew

I normally walk at an easy 19-minute pace, but I got lost in a CYDY proxy filing this morning and realized it was 15 minutes past the time I normally leave. I tore around the 'hood at an 18:16 pace, mad at myself. :lmao:  Will be dodging rain for the next few days.

We're wiping down groceries, and bostonfred is leading a flock of disciples. 2020 is weird, man.

30 minute row this morning.  Will start the hundred pushups program today that Fred is doing.  Going to skip the initial test and jump in at Rank 2, because I basically already know where I am.  (The Rank 2 range is 6-12, and I can definitely do 6 clean push ups, probably 10, but nowhere near the middle range of the next level which is 13-24–would rather ease in). 

Weighed in today at just over 230, which is pretty good considering I was at 237 just two weeks ago.  Will keep at it.  The march down to 220 is often pretty smooth with me, and I have ended up falling apart at 220, a few times just below that.  I’ve never reached 215 in the 10 years since I’ve been married, so that’s really the first major milestone on my journey to where I need to be.

Fred> On the alcohol front, I’ve had a couple of tempting moments but have been good.  I’m thinking that initially I will open it up only to major holidays.  I’d like to enjoy a couple drinks with family at our big annual Halloween party.  Same for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas, NYE.  So I’m thinking maybe that’s what I’ll dangle as the carrot.  It’s dangerous because the holidays can easily turn into a backslide into a bad pace.  But if I carry through even from now to Halloween, we’re talking about two more months of this, and if I continue what I’m doing, I could theoretically early be well near my goal before I have that first drink.  But still mulling this all over.

Anyway, Onwards.

my theme lately when people say hey swc man you have lost a lot of weight and look good i say well this is what i look like when i let my health dictate my schedule instead of letting my schedule dictate my health so lets keep gettin er dun take that to the bank brohans 

I have been mostly absent in July and August because of vacation and getting kids soccer / school back on track. Unfortunately I also managed to gain back a few pounds that I had worked so hard to lose (mostly due to poor eating habits). 

I am back full speed beginning 9/1/2020. Dedicated to yoga most days, 12k steps plus eat right every day until I get back under 225 as my first goal. 

I have been mostly absent in July and August because of vacation and getting kids soccer / school back on track. Unfortunately I also managed to gain back a few pounds that I had worked so hard to lose (mostly due to poor eating habits). 

I am back full speed beginning 9/1/2020. Dedicated to yoga most days, 12k steps plus eat right every day until I get back under 225 as my first goal. 
You killed it for a long time there GB.  Nothing wrong with hitting the pause button when you're hitting play again. Otis and I are both making a hard push - yoga, no alcohol, hundredpushups.com, and he's rowing and trying to go mostly vegetarian while I'm running and using myfitnesspal.  Join us if you want or just do your own thing. Swc is doing something similar and belljr just started a weight loss plan with his wife.   

• Smile
Has anyone marketed a one-minute workout yet? I think I've come up with a one-minute workout that could be very effective to get people in shape. It seriously takes only one minute. Just do it 45-60 times a day to get good results.

Do you mean like on an old VCR machine? With online video players (e.g., YouTube), there's generally just one button that toggles between pause and play.
That button is called play/pause, so it can be use for two purposes.  As always, I am not a lawyer and this is not grammar advice. Consult a mod if you are being harassed with pedantic arguments from sarcastic lawyers with inferior pushup programs. 

Today's yoga was a good one.  I scanned through it briefly before posting it this morning but this was my first time doing it too and I got some sweat going, not sure about you all.  I did everything but crow, which  coincidentally was when my kid walked in and said dad are you doing yoga before we go for a ride so apparently we're going for a ride now. 

I like this kind of practice - longer flow, full body workout with some stretching but at a fast enough pace that you work up a sweat. But there are days I just want a 20 minute core day.   I plan to mix it up a little, and try some new things...

Has anyone marketed a one-minute workout yet? I think I've come up with a one-minute workout that could be very effective to get people in shape. It seriously takes only one minute. Just do it 45-60 times a day to get good results.
Is this like the roulette system? I made a fortune on that thing.

• Smile
Fred> On the alcohol front, I’ve had a couple of tempting moments but have been good.  I’m thinking that initially I will open it up only to major holidays.  I’d like to enjoy a couple drinks with family at our big annual Halloween party.  Same for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas, NYE.  So I’m thinking maybe that’s what I’ll dangle as the carrot.  It’s dangerous because the holidays can easily turn into a backslide into a bad pace.  But if I carry through even from now to Halloween, we’re talking about two more months of this, and if I continue what I’m doing, I could theoretically early be well near my goal before I have that first drink.  But still mulling this all over.

Anyway, Onwards.
Why not allow a drink or two the weekend.  If you can’t control yourself and adhere to the limit then you should give it up entirely.    

I haven't been able to quite break my vacation habits.  I've been exercising well and avoiding booze on weekdays.  However, I've been snacking (not the good kind) way more than I should be throughout the day.  I'm going back on MFP and I may post my daily results in this thread just to keep myself accountable. 

I humbly offer this one up for tomorrow. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwzihD_WmFE

It’s a voice over one, but those tend to be quicker paced. I’m finding myself getting slightly annoyed, as she walks us through every motion. It also looks hard.  

In a very quick scan, there’s something for everyone. Crow, nut busting cow legs, 1 legged pigeon, etc.  
I'll be honest, I was going to have us take a day off arms tomorrow because I was planning to do my hundredpushups.com workout tomorrow, but I love that you are into this so I did it tonight instead. 

Sets of 29, 33, 29, 29, 40. First set I was still "bouncing" my pushups after 25 plus, and couldn't believe it. Second set was a little more difficult but got through 15ish before switching from bouncing to slow, controlled pushups, which are probably better for the arms anyways.  Finished all 33. Third set I didn't take enough rest, and had to take a knee after 20 but got back up and finished the last 9. Took about 5 minutes before the next set and did all 29 without stopping. Final set of 40 looked super daunting, and it really was. I got through 20 and dropped to my knees. Ten more, dropped again. But I did get back up and finish the 40.  

My takeaways - I'm going to redo week 4 day 3 before continuing on to week 5, but I'm amazed that I was able to complete it at all, even with difficulty. I did my first hundred pushup day two weeks ago, and I just did 160 today.  That's a big jump.  I know I need rest, but looking at my sets today it's pretty obvious that I struggled because I was tired. And i also struggled at 20 both times, and again at 30, which means it's probably in my head that I just need to get to this round number and I can stop.  I migjt need to find tricks to outsmart that part of my brain. When I redo this day I'm also going to focus more on form and getting smooth up and down reps instead of bouncing. I think I was getting cardio those first two sets. 

I'm going to be sore AF for your power yoga tomorrow but I'm ready. LFG.

With my pushups, I try to  maintain the same pace throughout. Steady, fairly quick. 

If I’m tired and fail to maintain my pace/form, I stop.   Perfect form equals no injuries. 

Ill do your sets tomorrow, see how that breakdown feels. That’s a lot of pushups. 

• Smile
DocHolliday said:
Otis said:

Anyway, Onwards.
Why not allow a drink or two the weekend.  If you can’t control yourself and adhere to the limit then you should give it up entirely.    
this is where i am at after years of lying to myself i have finally come to grips with the fact that if i drink a beer im going to have 6 and its all over turn out the lights and then i will slam home way too much food as well so i have to just accept that its a non starter except for rare occashuns but if i can space them out to maybe once a month or even further apart thats a better outcome for my health take that to the bank brohans 

i walked and ran about 5 and a half miles yesterday and biked for 20 miles burned like 2000 extra calories and came in way like a grand under my goal for the day so good day all in all did not get a walk in this morning due to scheduling conflicts but i will hit it hard this afternoon only a bowl of cheerios today so far and i will do low cal wraps for lunch take that to the bank bromigos 

DocHolliday said:
As a general rule if someone says they are stopping drinking for their health, don't suggest otherwise. I don't know if there is any exception to this rule but I can't think of one. 

On drinking or not, everyone is different. 

During this COVID crap there have been times when if I have one drink it will lead to several.  I've cut out alcohol during the week for now, but I've also taken a few weeks off at times just because it was getting out of control. 

Lately I've been able to keep it to a moderate level and not go overboard.  I also try to log all my drinks accurately in MFP.  Literally pour 4 oz of bourbon in a measuring cup and then add it to my glass with an ice cube.  

I fully admit this has led to days where I will purposely eat very little during the day so I have have 8-900 calories of booze at night.  :bag:

Btw, did you know there's 280 calories in 4oz of bourbon?

Regarding the pushup challenge, I watched a few form videos today to make sure that I do it right.  After watching these videos, I have no clue what my baseline is (I'm hoping somewhere between 15-20 at least).  

On drinking or not, everyone is different. 

During this COVID crap there have been times when if I have one drink it will lead to several.  I've cut out alcohol during the week for now, but I've also taken a few weeks off at times just because it was getting out of control. 

Lately I've been able to keep it to a moderate level and not go overboard.  I also try to log all my drinks accurately in MFP.  Literally pour 4 oz of bourbon in a measuring cup and then add it to my glass with an ice cube.  

I fully admit this has led to days where I will purposely eat very little during the day so I have have 8-900 calories of booze at night.  :bag:

Btw, did you know there's 280 calories in 4oz of bourbon?
I've been the same way.  On weekends, I'll burn through 800-1000 active calories and eat very little just so I can permit myself to go overboard with booze.  I know it's not smart but taking things one step at a time.  Cutting out weekday drinking has already been a big accomplishment for me.   :lol:  

I've been the same way.  On weekends, I'll burn through 800-1000 active calories and eat very little just so I can permit myself to go overboard with booze.  I know it's not smart but taking things one step at a time.  Cutting out weekday drinking has already been a big accomplishment for me.   :lol:  
I've also learned that my best way through a hangover is lots of water and a really good sweat first thing in the morning.  I can get up and drink a glass of water and sweat for an hour and then feel basically like normal for the rest of the day.  And of course the workout leads me to having more calories available for that night's drinking.  A vicious cycle.

I've also learned that my best way through a hangover is lots of water and a really good sweat first thing in the morning.  I can get up and drink a glass of water and sweat for an hour and then feel basically like normal for the rest of the day.  And of course the workout leads me to having more calories available for that night's drinking.  A vicious cycle.
Look I know drinking is bad for me and I also know that I’m posting in a healthy behavior thread but I’m not willing to give up booze all together.  I lead a relatively healthy lifestyle in just about every other way and now I’m even limiting booze to Fridays and Saturdays.  So yeah I know I’m trying to justify it but I’m ok with that.  It helps me take the edge off on weekends.  

But kudos to Fred, Otis and the others who have given it up.  That’s super impressive.

Look I know drinking is bad for me and I also know that I’m posting in a healthy behavior thread but I’m not willing to give up booze all together.  I lead a relatively healthy lifestyle in just about every other way and now I’m even limiting booze to Fridays and Saturdays.  So yeah I know I’m trying to justify it but I’m ok with that.  It helps me take the edge off on weekends.  

But kudos to Fred, Otis and the others who have given it up.  That’s super impressive.
You're already in good shape. You have earned it.  I'm still working my way to where I want to be health wise.  When I'm done I'll be right back in the eat good exercise and save enough calories for drinking and snacking tonight club. 

Regarding the pushup challenge, I watched a few form videos today to make sure that I do it right.  After watching these videos, I have no clue what my baseline is (I'm hoping somewhere between 15-20 at least).  
I just did my baseline test and hit 30 consecutive good form pushups (way more than I thought I could hit; although my arms are shaking a little)!  I'll start week 1 on Monday (using the 11-20 column).  I'll take the weekend to orient myself to the program.    

• Smile
DA RAIDERS said:
I humbly offer this one up for tomorrow. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwzihD_WmFE

It’s a voice over one, but those tend to be quicker paced. I’m finding myself getting slightly annoyed, as she walks us through every motion. It also looks hard.  

In a very quick scan, there’s something for everyone. Crow, nut busting cow legs, 1 legged pigeon, etc.  
Yeah this might be the hardest one yet.  It was a great workout and i finished everything without cheating.  The first half hour or so was non stop cardio.  Literally stopped and did jumping jacks because she wanted to keep the heart rate up.  Ok i didn't do the headstand (i did the donkey kicks but not even trying out the paralyzer) but she said that was ok.  And i did the stupid fn cow legs, which turn my :- into a ;. 

On a more fun note, she confirmed my suspicion that she was just doing Charlie's angels the whole time, she couldn't keep her yoga mat from rolling up on her again and again, and at the risk of being indelicate, she was, uh, clearly chilly.  Not even annoyed that it ended with an infomercial - she does so many of these for free (or the fraction of a penny she gets for YouTube views) that I would be happy to support her with a subscription at some point.  

:lmao:   easily the hardest yet.  loved the pacing.  i did crow at the end instead of attempting to do handstands.   :lmao:

heavy sweat on this one.

eta:  i was going to mention the charlie's angels, but fred beat me to it.

• Smile
I'm going to start pull-ups today. The problem with doing pull-ups, though, is that I can't do a pull-up. I'll start with dead hangs and active hangs. I'll try to do between 5 and 10 sets a day of those and see how things go...
This isn't working out. Even just doing sets of 20 seconds at a time -- it's no problem for my lats, shoulders, forearms, or any other muscle group, but it's completely destroying the skin on my hands. I already have some calluses, but they're small and the surrounding skin is not happy. I can't do this every day. I need a different plan.

• Thinking
This isn't working out. Even just doing sets of 20 seconds at a time -- it's no problem for my lats, shoulders, forearms, or any other muscle group, but it's completely destroying the skin on my hands. I already have some calluses, but they're small and the surrounding skin is not happy. I can't do this every day. I need a different plan.
Why don’t you try gloves?

• Smile

Users who are viewing this thread