What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

I didn’t row nor yoga nor pushup today.  It’s a rest day I suppose.  Kind of needed it.  Ate well, no booze.

Desperately in the mood for a stiff drink tonight and this weekend.  

I didn’t row nor yoga nor pushup today.  It’s a rest day I suppose.  Kind of needed it.  Ate well, no booze.

Desperately in the mood for a stiff drink tonight and this weekend.  
You're not desperate and you're not in need.  It's difficult to stick with it but it's worse to put in all of that effort and then give it all back. 

Otis said:
Weighed in today at just over 230, which is pretty good considering I was at 237 just two weeks ago.  Will keep at it.  The march down to 220 is often pretty smooth with me, and I have ended up falling apart at 220, a few times just below that.  I’ve never reached 215 in the 10 years since I’ve been married, so that’s really the first major milestone on my journey to where I need to be.
Day 12 of 65.  

Give me two solid months of effort.  We'll get to 219.8. 

And 215 before Thanksgiving. 

Let's do this.

Day 12 of 65.  

Give me two solid months of effort.  We'll get to 219.8. 

And 215 before Thanksgiving. 

Let's do this.
I’m in. No booze tonight. Had a pretzel and some cheese.  After some cauliflower rice concoction Mrs O made for dinner (was pretty good actually). Drinking water and smoking a cigar. 

Quiet day at work tomorrow and a long weekend ahead, plenty of time for a couple good rows, some yoga, and my push ups day tomorrow. 

(Pssst small font ... if we’re being honest I’d punch a baby right now for a bottle of red and that rack of Tate’s cookies in my cabinet.... but this will have to do for now.....)

Hey healthy people and people getting healthy! Consider going for a run (or walk) anytime during September to support Childhood Cancer Awareness month. In addition to taking part in a great cause, you’ll get a race medal and shirt.  

Chance for Hope Going Gold Fun Run Signup: https://runsignup.com/Race/TX/Anytown/Chanceforhope
Bump for all the runners. I know the 10k thread is doing this but if any of you want to do a fun run, zoom, watch a real actual football game on the treadmill, whatever... let's do something for a great cause and a good friend. 

In spite of Corona, still straight killing it.  Projections vs. last year:

# of steps - 31.54% increase

# of days over 10k steps - 215% increase

# of days over 12k steps - 403% increase

# of days over 15k steps - 266% increase

I'm also down to my lowest weight I've ever recorded (going back to high school - I'm 41 now).  I may have another 5lbs give or take to go.....however my cholesterol keeps going up (Ratio is actually good, but I spiked from last year).  I need to cut out red meat (eat a ####load of salads with red meat) as much as possible and get another blood test in a few months.  All of my other tests check out just fine.

My gym (standard 24 hour anytime fitness) finally opened up, so I need to look up the new protocols.  Any advice for just basic old man workout basically to "not fall out of shape"?

Sounds like you don't really need one, but I think the Body by Science protocol is great for maintenance. Lift heavy, lift slooooow, lift once a week.
Down 7lbs since this post and have been doing the BBS workout.  Best I've felt of my adult life, no lie.

Bump for all the runners. I know the 10k thread is doing this but if any of you want to do a fun run, zoom, watch a real actual football game on the treadmill, whatever... let's do something for a great cause and a good friend. 
Thanks Fred!  

p.s.  You can walk this bad boy too. You’ll still get a race shirt and medal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got lucky and woke up to a hole in the rain, so I got my walk done in the mostly dark. Clocking out early today because we all worked a little extra at month-end, so the yoga will definitely get done. Left shoulder is unhappy, but not an actual impediment. Yet.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
continued my efforts to run again with a just shy of 6 mile run walk this morning jogging more than 50 percent of it was solid yesterday with a 15 mile bike ride and 45 pushups and came in under on calories and today i have only had cheerios and milk and i will ride the bike tonight i am down in the 190 range and with a bmi of about 23 stuff is going well take that to the bank bromigos 

Hey healthy people and people getting healthy! Consider going for a run (or walk) anytime during September to support Childhood Cancer Awareness month. In addition to taking part in a great cause, you’ll get a race medal and shirt.  

Chance for Hope Going Gold Fun Run Signup: https://runsignup.com/Race/TX/Anytown/Chanceforhope
Thanks for the reminder BB. 

Signed up this morning. 

Don’t think I’ll yoga today (again).  I rowed for an hour and then did the hundred day pushups.  That’s plenty of exercise for any human.

bostonfred said:
A few people are still catching up , and the rest of us are sore from yesterday so I'm going to post this core yoga practice for today- https://youtu.be/CRKmB-78elI  

@DA RAIDERS its only 22 minutes or so, but you said you were going to try my hundredpushups.com sets of 29/33/29/29/40 so this would be a good complement after the leg day yesterday 

This is a really naive question as I haven't read through the entire hundredpushups.com link yet.  Is the idea that we are eventually supposed to train up to doing 100 straight, good form pushups (without taking a breather)?  If so, has anyone in this thread accomplished that yet?  Sorry I know it's probably been covered already.

fred_1_15301 said:
This is a really naive question as I haven't read through the entire hundredpushups.com link yet.  Is the idea that we are eventually supposed to train up to doing 100 straight, good form pushups (without taking a breather)?  If so, has anyone in this thread accomplished that yet?  Sorry I know it's probably been covered already.
Yes the goal is to do one set of 100 straight.

I could probably do close to 50 straight right now. When I started a month ago it was more like a dozen. It's supposed to taken6 weeks but I'm redoing some days so it will be closer to 8 weeks for me. 

The final day is like 5 sets, 50 or 60 at a time.  It looks bonkers but I didn't think I could do sets of 30 at a time as quickly as I did so I'm trusting the process.

Good morning everyone and congratulations to everyone who just finished their first or second 30 days of Yoga with Adriene. Nice job sticking with it, and thank you to everybody who posted about it in the thread. Seeing other people stick with this makes me feel like I need to stick with this too and you have all helped me so much.

I know a lot of us are on different schedules with the yoga now, including some people who have joined recently and that really makes me happy because I know how hard it was for me to get started and I am psyched for all of you and hope you find this as beneficial as I did. If you want to join with us on the next round of yoga practices and feel like you're up for the challenge, please do.  If you want to stick with the original 30 days of yoga playlist to build strength and understand what all the poses mean and how they work, you can join us at any time.  

I am going to curate the next few yoga sessions so we can find what we like as a group. Some people have mentioned that they want challenging practices, longer practices, quick practices they can do between meetings, daily practices, days off in between, practices that don't use a lot of arms... it's not going to be possible to do all of that every day, obviously, but I am going to try to find a good balance and the only way to do that is to hear back from you so please let me know your thoughts on the daily video and also my approach. 

Today's video is one we haven't done before from the yoga for weight loss series.  It's 45 minutes and does some good core work but it's a full body routine and does some good stretching along with some challenging poses. People finishing the advanced series will recognize most of these poses although there are a few small variations mixed in. People who are newer to the practice should like the amount of explanation she puts in - this is from 6 years ago, before she had a huge audience of regulars. 

Yoga for Weight Loss - Strengthen and Lengthen

Lastly, a reminder that anyone can start at any time and it's totally ok to take a rest day if you need to.  First timers might want to try Yoga woth Adriene - Yoga for Complete Beginners before jumping in, or do the "beginner" series from 2015 called 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene.  Our "advanced" group just finished a playlist called June 2020 Courage that was a bit more challenging than the original 30 days but had some easier days too. If you want to do those on your own and want me to remove you from the @ list below, just let me know. If you want to join us and be added to the list, or just want to follow along, let me know that too. 

And finally, a reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult your doctor before beginning this or any exercise program. 

Namaste 🙏 

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus @Poke_4_Life @ragincajun @The Flying Turtle @Leeroy Jenkins @Judge Smails @kevzilla @belljr @Big Blue Wrecking Crew
I just did this one, immediately followed by today's 22-minute core workout.  Figured I shouldn't use yesterday's for a back-to-back based on the comments.  :lol:

These were both good.  The one above seems like a great "everyday" session, so if you're trying to curate something for us all to try, this would be a terrific inclusion.

I'm less interested in doing just a core workout, but if that's anyone's thing, I thought today's was also a great session, despite the side planks!  I was definitely feeling it by that point.  I especially enjoyed the little crunches while you're all pretzeled up on each side; those felt good.

One major complaint with both is no Benji.

@Otis how are we doing?  I am getting ready to call it a day with about 5 calories to spare, still no alcohol, that's day 13 of 65 in the books - which is one fifth of the way there.  I wavered a little today but stuck with it because I knew I'd be back in here to report. How about you?

@Otis how are we doing?  I am getting ready to call it a day with about 5 calories to spare, still no alcohol, that's day 13 of 65 in the books - which is one fifth of the way there.  I wavered a little today but stuck with it because I knew I'd be back in here to report. How about you?
I have faith in Otis.  He usually posts updates in the morning.  

Good day for me today.  Played football with my son in the afternoon (we take turns running routes) and did a 50 minute (600 calorie burning) body combat in the evening.  Wife’s bday is Sunday so I cooked some cauliflower “steaks” and air fryer French fries/poutine from scratch (so yummy).  No snacks for me today but starting to drink a little.  Also, we put up a tent in the backyard so the 4 of us are camping tonight.

Mrs O invited a bunch of friends over. She started off with a little sip of white and it was downhill from there. They’re all bombed and she can barely stand. I drank water. I did eat a few slices of pizza but it was salad pizza and it was only because I ate nothing else all day and the cauliflower pizza that Mrs O ordered for me ended up being regular pizza so this was the next best option. So I still probably ended the day like a thousand below goal. Maybe more. 

The bad news is Mrs O is going to be paying the piper in the morning no doubt, so Otis will be ok kids and dog duty. Then again it’s Saturday and I don’t think we have plans so I’m sure I can work in time to workout in the afternoon. 

Go get em everyone. 

I'm in, and serious about it -- no drinking for either of us.  At some point I'd like to dial it back, i.e., so that I can have a couple beers at a backyard BBQ; a scotch (1) and cigar; a bottle of wine out at a restaurant on a nice occasion.  But for now, and until I have my health truly under control, going cold turkey for a while.  Let's do it.

belljr, having the whole family on board is a huge help.  Same here -- me and Mrs. O both fully committed.  I went shopping for some fruits and vegetables, some healthier snack food (pretzels and nuts), and a bunch of bottled waters and flavored seltzers (i.e., stuff to drink instead of alcohol).  Off we go...
This aged well. :lol:

Way to stay on the wagon @Otis.

Got my row in last night - today is pushups and ab ripper. 

This aged well. :lol:

Way to stay on the wagon @Otis.

Got my row in last night - today is pushups and ab ripper. 
Yeah.... I may be on my own here...  and I’ll admit I’ve been considering having a Labor Day Weekend drink or two.  Which would be totally fine given my other progress, healthy eating and exercise.  But I’d rather jut stay clean a little longer and get closer to goal before I start loosening the reins.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah.... I may be on my own here...  and I’ll admit I’ve been considering having a Labor Day Weekend drink or two.  Which would be totally fine given my other progress, healthy eating and exercise.  But I’d rather jut stay clean a little longer and get closer to goal before I start loosening the reigns.  
Try setting an example for your wife.  If you stay strong, I'm sure she'll follow.  

I'm on to Adriene's shtick now.

1) Take stress techniques perfected at Gitmo and Albanian black-ops sites

b) Repackage them as "sleepy bear" and "happy eagle"

#) Profit
I literally just talked to her the other day and she was like wait are you the Boston Fred from footballguys.com and I was like no it's bostonfred and she was like that's what I meant and I was like it's not the same thing and she was all, you're right, I'm sorry, and also do you know kevzilla, and I was like yes, and she was like #### that guy lol, and I was like I know, right? And then we made out. 

Hundredpushups.com week 4 day 3 redux

29 - check

33 - check

29 - check

29 - check

All consecutive reps no stopping, with a little over 3 minutes between sets.  I was just short of exhaustion at the end of every set, especially on the 33 and the final 29, so I took double the time to rest before the final set of 40. 

40 - well, I made it through 25 good form pushups. Then I collapsed and had to rest for a few seconds. But I got back up and powered through the final 15 with good, slow, controlled form and feel great. Going to be sore as heck later but I gave full effort and finished the day much stronger than i did last time.   

The next thing I'm supposed to do is a test to exhaustion.  Single set, as many reps as i can do. I'll try that Monday and see where I'm at - if I can do more than 40, then great, but if not, I will have to decide whether to repeat week 4 or drop down a level for week 5. 

I'm probably just a red-### because I gained 0.6 lbs this week. There were a couple of suboptimal decisions. Back on that horse next week.
Week to week fluctuations don't mean that much GB, you know that. It's probably just water weight, but even if it isn't, you're investing in your overall health, not just weight loss, and doing all that walking plus yoga is like putting money in the bank back when there was an interest rate.  You will see that you can do more because of the yoga, and your weight gets better you can do more, and you can do more because your weight keeps improving. It's the best kind of feedback loop. 

Hundredpushups.com week 4 day 3 redux

29 - check

33 - check

29 - check

29 - check

All consecutive reps no stopping, with a little over 3 minutes between sets.  I was just short of exhaustion at the end of every set, especially on the 33 and the final 29, so I took double the time to rest before the final set of 40. 

40 - well, I made it through 25 good form pushups. Then I collapsed and had to rest for a few seconds. But I got back up and powered through the final 15 with good, slow, controlled form and feel great. Going to be sore as heck later but I gave full effort and finished the day much stronger than i did last time.   

The next thing I'm supposed to do is a test to exhaustion.  Single set, as many reps as i can do. I'll try that Monday and see where I'm at - if I can do more than 40, then great, but if not, I will have to decide whether to repeat week 4 or drop down a level for week 5. 
Damn this is impressive progress. Honestly can’t imagine myself getting to that point, but if you’re telling me trust the program and it’ll happen, I’m in. 

https://youtu.be/qiu1SYtAdBg

Hey all I know it's Labor Day weekend, and we've all got plans of some kind, but if you're looking to burn off some burgers and dogs, this is a full body routine called yoga kiss 💋
I gotta thank you @bostonfred  I was craving a snack or nap, but decided to knock out this yoga session instead. Without your motivation I likely would not have done anything constructive. 

Wasn't a big fan of this one.  Seven minutes of just sitting around at the beginning made me stabby.
Yeah I was going to warn you about that but I never got the chance because my kid was climbing all over me while I was doing it and I eventually gave in and took him for a hike. Just got home and having scallops and vegetables without wine, which is not the recipe. 

Users who are viewing this thread