What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (7 Viewers)

FYI for anyone that is doing Spinning/Peloton, the Kendall Toole's 2000s ride from 1/25/2021 was a great workout and set list. It essentially was a 30 minute emo rock jam fest. She caked on the eyeliner, add the slouchy beanie, and crank the music. Brought me back in time and absolutely destroyed my legs. 

I felt guilty from the night before because I crushed the cake batter fun fetti cupcakes the wifey made. There are still six sitting on the island...Must stand strong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
i think we should merge the other thread from fred about weight loss into this one or something i did not know there were two and now i feel guilty for not posting in this one enough take that to the bank brohans 

I went overboard watching the Bucs, passed out in the middle of the KC/BUF game, oh boy. You name it I ate it. 

Managed to push it all the way back up to 191, go me. 

But it's a new week and I have a big Super Bowl to plan for, son will be joining me so a 2 week health and fitness plan is just what i need to get lean, I already am well on my way yesterday and today. 

Mon- 6 Miles, 2 hours. 

Tue- 75 Minutes on Cycle, scheduled to play about 90 Min to 2 hours of Tennis tonight. 

I played a lot of Tennis Thursday-Sunday, also ate n drank with my wife to our heart's delight. Been under a lot of pressure both of us lately, hoping some of that will come to an end soon. I managed to eat more than I could burn off so even though I will be shooting for perhaps 750-1,000 minutes this week, gotta get back to some better decisions on meals. 

Trying to do around 60 minutes of activity in both Morn and Eve weather permitting. I'm sure I can be close to normal weight by the weekend but I seem to keep running that pattern of a few good days than a bad day or two then 4-5 good ones, etc...

Cheers Everyone

I'm one day behind on the Adriene Breath calendar, but will catch up with two sessions tomorrow.  Yesterday's session, "Rejuvenate," is one I'd like to recommend to bfred and anyone else.  It's short (25 minutes) but has a good combo of breath training (Breath of Fire!) and a nice flow with a lot of strength and balance bits.  I really like the three-legged dog parts with hips stacked, which were in the prior day's flow but are held much longer in this one.

I'm one day behind on the Adriene Breath calendar, but will catch up with two sessions tomorrow.  Yesterday's session, "Rejuvenate," is one I'd like to recommend to bfred and anyone else.  It's short (25 minutes) but has a good combo of breath training (Breath of Fire!) and a nice flow with a lot of strength and balance bits.  I really like the three-legged dog parts with hips stacked, which were in the prior day's flow but are held much longer in this one.
ok I didn't do this one but I redid the yoga for weight loss balance flow 

58 minutes with a zillion vinyasas. Downward facing dog lunge forward fold halfway lift forward fold reach up dive forward into a fold then step or hop it back to a lunge take a vinyasa chararanga to upward facing dog and together we'll meet in downward facing dog. Repeat, then repeat more.  Some good balance postures with standing splits, two on each leg, plus some cool twists out of warrior one warrior two that challenge your balance even with both feet on the floor. Not a super sweaty practice but good all around flow that definitely burns some calories, works some muscles and helps with flexibility. If you put your weekend on shuffle and this comes up you wouldn't click fast forward. 

I still have no idea how you've done this (walking).  
I've been walking 6-7 miles per day on average since the pandemic started (in addition to running ~ 20 miles per week).   But unlike krista, I'm not capable of just going out into my backyard and walking in a circle for 50 miles, or whatever the heck happened back a few months ago.  Nor is there any hiking, nature, scenery.  Or really much enjoyment at all, other than exercise and solitude.  The pandemic has finally turned me into someone who needs a modest amount of solitary time each day.

For me it's simple -- anytime I need to be on the phone for work, if at all possible, I get out and walk while talking on the phone.  Also will duck out of the house to go for a walk and listen to a podcast.  Or call my parents while walking......which is a nice distraction from their Costanza parents imitation shtick.

ok I didn't do this one but I redid the yoga for weight loss balance flow 

58 minutes with a zillion vinyasas. Downward facing dog lunge forward fold halfway lift forward fold reach up dive forward into a fold then step or hop it back to a lunge take a vinyasa chararanga to upward facing dog and together we'll meet in downward facing dog. Repeat, then repeat more.  Some good balance postures with standing splits, two on each leg, plus some cool twists out of warrior one warrior two that challenge your balance even with both feet on the floor. Not a super sweaty practice but good all around flow that definitely burns some calories, works some muscles and helps with flexibility. If you put your weekend on shuffle and this comes up you wouldn't click fast forward. 
Ooooooo, please keep this on your ongoing list.  Sounds great.  I didn't click so am not sure if I did it in one of our group yogas.  The bold sounds especially fun.  I love standing splits.

On the overall health front, I'm happy to report that my mom (77) and my stepfather (75) were able to get their first doses of Moderna vaccine today!  Distribution in WA has been a nightmare (as with many other places I'm sure), so it was only due to my mad internetting skillz that they got in.  Such a relief that they're on their way to more protection.

My folks got their first last week. Can't speak to other Del Webb developments, but Sun City Texas is on it. And I got my second on Monday.

Slept more last night, and the howling wind wreaks havoc with my tempo, so I raced around at an 18:42 pace.

On the overall health front, I'm happy to report that my mom (77) and my stepfather (75) were able to get their first doses of Moderna vaccine today!  Distribution in WA has been a nightmare (as with many other places I'm sure), so it was only due to my mad internetting skillz that they got in.  Such a relief that they're on their way to more protection.
any tips?

If you're ever extremely limited for time, I recommend today's Adriene Breath series called "Expand."  Short (17 min) but challenging, it features a move near the end where you are in three-legged dog with your raised leg bent and hips stacked, and then you flip around to this twisty-crazy thing.  Starts around 11:53 in the video if you want to see.  Very fun.  Also in this one Benji pops by with a downward dog while we're in downward dog - too cute.

Sorry, for what GB?
ha!  getting the vaccine appointment .

i'm signed up on the website and am in the "waiting room".  i also have the app.  they set up a vaccination center, across the street from my house.  place is a ghost town.  looking for my parents first and then us.

Yoga for the abdominal wall - 13 minutes and 47 seconds, claims to be 14 minutes, feels like 40, and I feel like I'm 80.  Starts with cat cows and hover the knees then boats with toe taps and some static holds and a new kind of bicycle thing and then some new cobblers pose thing where you do oblique work which seemed easy at first but was actually pretty good. It's all action for almost 14 minutes.

If you're ever extremely limited for time, I recommend today's Adriene Breath series called "Expand."  Short (17 min) but challenging, it features a move near the end where you are in three-legged dog with your raised leg bent and hips stacked, and then you flip around to this twisty-crazy thing.  Starts around 11:53 in the video if you want to see.  Very fun.  Also in this one Benji pops by with a downward dog while we're in downward dog - too cute.
Twisty crazy thing is my something something I'm too tired to come up with something funny 

Yoga for the abdominal wall - 13 minutes and 47 seconds, claims to be 14 minutes, feels like 40, and I feel like I'm 80.  Starts with cat cows and hover the knees then boats with toe taps and some static holds and a new kind of bicycle thing and then some new cobblers pose thing where you do oblique work which seemed easy at first but was actually pretty good. It's all action for almost 14 minutes.
Whoa, this sounds good!!

By the way, I've intended to ask the yoga folks, does anyone else get a coughing fit on cat/cows?  I always start coughing on the cat part.  Maybe it's a hairball.

ha!  getting the vaccine appointment .

i'm signed up on the website and am in the "waiting room".  i also have the app.  they set up a vaccination center, across the street from my house.  place is a ghost town.  looking for my parents first and then us.
Ah sorry, I'm dumb.

CA might not be as random and screwy as WA has been.  Here there's no statewide process, so eligibility and process are handled on a county-by-county and even provider-by-provider basis.  For instance, as of last week my mom's former county (where she still owns a house for a few more weeks) went into vaccinating 75+, while the next county over went 85+, and the county we're all currently living in went 65+.  There are other subgroups eligible but those were the relevant groups for them.  And then in some counties, they will let you get a vaccine there even if you don't reside there, while other counties won't.

So I guess what I'm saying is first, understand what phase each relevant place you might be willing to go to is in and when you qualify.  It's updated daily it seems, so I bookmarked the county health department websites as well as the WA state COVID site and just kept re-checking.

Then, also sign up for notifications for each provider that you know will be getting vaccines.  For me this ranged from big health systems to smaller health providers to CVS/Rite Aid to Safeway to anywhere.  I used my "alternate" email for this, but actually it has resulted in zero spam so far anyway.  But here all of the above are getting doses for distribution.  In some cases, especially the smaller providers, you have to be a current patient before you can get from them, but in most cases you don't.  The first appointments I got for them were in a big health system that they've never been in, but because that one had tons of locations I was able to get in by just looking at every damn hospital in a 90-minute radius.

Another source of info that was invaluable to me, as painful as it otherwise can be, is that I joined local Facebook groups because those damn people are always posting to ask about where to get vaccines or informing when a new distribution place opened up.  The appointments they had today came from my learning of a new distribution that was occurring this week and for which appointments opened at 10 am on Monday.  Which leads me to the last advice...

Persistence.  I kept checking back and "upgrading" their appointments to earlier times when I found anything.  For instance, the big health system where I got their first appointments scheduled was totally booked, but then as other providers opened up people would cancel those and times would open up.  So I just kept checking and checking until I got them something.  And then each time I saw something new I would try to get them an earlier date and then cancel what I had for them later.  The one they had today is something I booked Monday morning...the site opened at 10 a.m. and I was on there ready, but then it didn't open on time and I used my FBG-honed F5 skills to get in there when it did.  My mom tried to book at all the same places I did and never was able to get through, so I thank FBG for Friday-thread F5 education.

I was in Publix our local grocery store last night and apparently they are going to be distributing and I saw an older woman sitting in a chair waiting to have her arm stuck with the needle and I actually said "Congrads" and gave her a thumbs up and kept walking. I think you have to sign up and they have a limited number daily but that seemed encouraging that it was coming thru the grocery stores. Better days ahead. 

I don’t feel like starting a new thread for this, so since it’s slightly health-related I’ll post it here.  Any recommendations for good, really good, pillows?  My neck pain has been through the roof, and along with the usual tension I think it’s pillow-related.  When I went out of town this week, the pain subsided a lot (which was also undoubtedly related to less tension), and I noticed the pillows at the house were comfier.  I’m not concerned about price, if this would ease the pain.

I’m a back and side sleeper, if it matters.  In fact, I’ve noticed recently that my most common sleep position is like a reclining tree pose.

Any recommendations for good, really good, pillows?
I have one of those memory-foam contour pillows as seen on TV. My dad bought me this one at Ikea, I think. I fall asleep on my side, right on one edge, then roll back to the middle. I dunno, seems to work as well as anything else. 

Which is to say, terrible. Every morning I wake up with my shoulders in a full shrug; my trapezius muscles ache.

Nevertheless, I need to put my head on that pillow ASAP. GLGBk4

I don’t feel like starting a new thread for this, so since it’s slightly health-related I’ll post it here.  Any recommendations for good, really good, pillows?  My neck pain has been through the roof, and along with the usual tension I think it’s pillow-related.  When I went out of town this week, the pain subsided a lot (which was also undoubtedly related to less tension), and I noticed the pillows at the house were comfier.  I’m not concerned about price, if this would ease the pain.

I’m a back and side sleeper, if it matters.  In fact, I’ve noticed recently that my most common sleep position is like a reclining tree pose.
You want a thinner pillow when you're on your back so your chin isn't touching your chest, and a thicker pillow when you're on your side to keep your neck aligned with your spine. If you're alternating between the two it might be because you sleep restlessly for other reasons. Ideally you would stay in one all night. If you sometimes prefer one to the other it might be because of muscle soreness or other pains or even digestive health. Your body digests slightly differently based on gravity.

Some things you could try

Two pillows, one thick one thin, and keep the other nearby so you can switch without waking yourself up 

Memory foam pillow that is thicker than you need. It will squish down to the right size and then you might actively press into it while you sleep, some people find that comforting others hate it. It definitely makes your face warm.

Try a firm down pillow. Same idea but cooler. If you need a cool pillow then memory foam sucks. Alternative fillings seem to run hotter but that might be me.

Try a yogibo bolster or similar long squishy pillow. Something you can wrap your legs around to position your spine but also the shoulder that points up when you side sleep. 

Rub one out before sleeping. Always nice. 

Try your yoga breathing and meditation stuff before bed, and journaling, to unload the things on your mind.

Try writing your schedule down for the next day with all action items accounted for, so you're not programming yourself to remember them while you sleep... I know you are super organized but if there's anything you leave to your memory skills for the morning you are putting yourself under stress while you sleep and that might be why you change sleep positions. 

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. Consult someone who knows more about pillows and necks and sleep stuff. 

Tried to take it easy today because I've already had a good week, but still went around at a 19:17 pace. I had 17 miles for the week and 67 for the month. So, roughly half a krista  :lmao:

More importantly, the scale says I lost 2.5 pounds this week. All systems go!
You still have one more day in the month!  :)   Excellent news on the weight loss.  How much have you lost overall?  You've been crushing it for a long time now.

Weight has seemingly plateaued around 240 which isn't great, but isn't terrible. 7 days in a row of Peloton has me feeling better though. Really enjoying the Power Zone workouts. 

Still not eating terribly well, but it's winder in a pandemic so meh. Boy is going back to daycare in approximately one month which should be a catalyst to improved eating methinks. 

krista4 said:
You still have one more day in the month!  :)   Excellent news on the weight loss.  How much have you lost overall?  You've been crushing it for a long time now.
Not as much as I make it seem, lol. I lost 28 pounds in 2020. Down about eighty pounds from when we met, though. :bowtie:

On the seventh day Kev rests, so no more walking this month.

@krista4 i'm a down pillow guy.  

if you sleep on your back, i vote no pillow.  or a very soft one.   if i'm having neck issues, i'll put a pillow across my chest, and put my hands on it.  as if i'm in a coffin.   :eek:   with nothing under my neck/head.  seems to straighten every thing out.   :shrug:   

@krista4 i'm a down pillow guy.  

if you sleep on your back, i vote no pillow.  or a very soft one.   if i'm having neck issues, i'll put a pillow across my chest, and put my hands on it.  as if i'm in a coffin.   :eek:   with nothing under my neck/head.  seems to straighten every thing out.   :shrug:   
What I actually do on my back is put my head between the two pillows on the bed, so that it basically falls down in between the pillows but gets propped up straight between the two.  Essentially it's no pillow.  But I guess that doesn't work for me, or I'm spending too much time in other spots/positions.

One factor that might not help me is that I tend to go where Squibby the cat wants me, and even though I'm more comfortable and sleep better on my side, Squibby strongly prefers I sleep on my back.  So I do what Squibby wants.

What I actually do on my back is put my head between the two pillows on the bed, so that it basically falls down in between the pillows but gets propped up straight between the two.  Essentially it's no pillow.  But I guess that doesn't work for me, or I'm spending too much time in other spots/positions.

One factor that might not help me is that I tend to go where Squibby the cat wants me, and even though I'm more comfortable and sleep better on my side, Squibby strongly prefers I sleep on my back.  So I do what Squibby wants.
when I sleep on my side sometimes my squibby feels like it's getting tangled up in there and I switch to my back too. Gravity is a #####. 

Just did compassion yoga, somehow without remembering that I have done this one like ten times.  Good 58 minute yoga which is what I am looking for on the weekends. Some one legged balance poses and squats, lots of lunges and warriors. This is the one where she remembers her friends in Amsterdam talking about going full beach ball. 

Users who are viewing this thread