What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

I have an actual, not shtick, question.  Is this potato diet an actual real thing?  Never heard of it and I'm curious, although I would suspect it's too many carbs for a diabetic to consume consistently.

I have an actual, not shtick, question.  Is this potato diet an actual real thing?  Never heard of it and I'm curious, although I would suspect it's too many carbs for a diabetic to consume consistently.
It works for some and not for others, mainly me. I gained 3lbs doing it during the great potato run of 2016. 

Im not doing keto or taters. Just old fashioned not gorging myself on crap diet

The fried thing is their new Shack Chickenwich - yes, it was delicious. 

Closing in on 230 :kicksrock:

Tomorrow I intend on having yogurt for breakfast and white meat chicken with veggies for dinner.

I ate to the point of feeling disgusting today and really am now ready to get the diet going. Need to load the house up with healthy snacks too.

It is real and it works. I lost 60 lbs in a couple of months doing it, and all of my lab work normalized completely. My Fasting BG was in pre-diabetic range, and it completely normalized after about a month of doing potatoes only. The book that started it all was Tim Steele's The Potato Hack. 

IMHO, there would be a lot of benefit from doing it as a diabetic, but I'm not an MD. Most GPs and MDs have very little training in diet and rely on outdated dietary guidelines that use carb restriction as the method of maintaining BG. I've had some serious arguments with MDs at work about this, and some of them are starting to come around to having an open mind because the newer studies coming out seem to suggest that dietary fat restriction is more effective than carb restriction for decreasing insulin resistance.

It is real and it works. I lost 60 lbs in a couple of months doing it, and all of my lab work normalized completely. My Fasting BG was in pre-diabetic range, and it completely normalized after about a month of doing potatoes only. The book that started it all was Tim Steele's The Potato Hack. 

IMHO, there would be a lot of benefit from doing it as a diabetic, but I'm not an MD. Most GPs and MDs have very little training in diet and rely on outdated dietary guidelines that use carb restriction as the method of maintaining BG. I've had some serious arguments with MDs at work about this, and some of them are starting to come around to having an open mind because the newer studies coming out seem to suggest that dietary fat restriction is more effective than carb restriction for decreasing insulin resistance.
Thanks.  I'll have to look into this further.  I could deal with spuds because I'm not a fan of veggies, although I'm forcing them into my new food regime as best as possible.

This train of thought is outdated, and the studies leading to these conclusions are hopelessly flawed in their applications to the broader population base.  Healthy people on lower carb diets at lower weights simply have less insulin circulating in general.  The degree to which someone at a healthy weight is insulin resistant is mostly akin to making sure the violin player on the titanic has their sheet music.  There are far more important things to be worrying about.  

You'll find very few supporters of the insulin theory of body fatness here.  

This train of thought is outdated, and the studies leading to these conclusions are hopelessly flawed in their applications to the broader population base.  Healthy people on lower carb diets at lower weights simply have less insulin circulating in general.  The degree to which someone at a healthy weight is insulin resistant is mostly akin to making sure the violin player on the titanic has their sheet music.  There are far more important things to be worrying about.  

Black dot, so I can give this the consideration it deserves and not post a meandering reply.

Black dot, so I can give this the consideration it deserves and not post a meandering reply.
We have quite a few thermos here that are probably going to miss your insulin hit post because there is so much volume in this thread, usually this is red meat to them.  Maurile being the most fervent in bringing out the heavy artillery so if you have something meaningful make sure you @ him for the popcorn.

I don't know culdeus - I'm not taking sides.  But I had amazing lab work results after only being on it for 10-11 days.  I am a type 2 and just on 1000mg metformin a day.  But I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol/triglycerides.  I gotta believe there is something to this.

I just couldn't look at another potato.

I hope I didn't start a ##### storm with my question.  I apologize if the tread gets derailed.  Definitely wasn't my intention.

The ***** was a 4 letter word for fecal matter, even though I didn't spell it out correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I weighed myself 1/1. Heaviest check-in yet. Heaviest I've ever been, and it really sucks considering how far from grace I've fallen since my wedding in June 2015.

6'3"

I was running 5Ks two years ago :wall:

Wish I could contribute here but my lack of kids has left me a relatively stress free life that has granted my 18 year old me and my 37 year old me the same girlish figure.

Good luck to all those in this mess. Make a new you in 2017!
I liked you better when you had a fake, crazy, hot, neighbor...

Not in on the wager...but I checked in at 192.5 today (guessed 197).  Trying to get to 185 before 2/4 for vaca.

We have quite a few thermos here that are probably going to miss your insulin hit post because there is so much volume in this thread, usually this is red meat to them.  Maurile being the most fervent in bringing out the heavy artillery so if you have something meaningful make sure you @ him for the popcorn.
Yes, definitely. I don't necessarily subscribe to the insulin theory of obesity, but I do think magical things happen on a VLF diet, (<20%, certainly, more like <10%) but some of those same things happen with carb restriction and high fat diets (>65%). My post to cheeseypoof was more about the beneficial effects of decreasing insulin resistance using VLF diet, which I am convinced works, without added risk of prolonged ketosis.

but, as always, I appreciate any good info from you, and others, whose opinions I respect. I'd like to formulate my hypotheses, and have them sharpened by the steel of other's knowledge. I'm self-taught, and a lazy thinker, so it will be a good exercise for me.

***  INITIAL WEIGH IN ***

234.1 via Fitbit scale.

After hitting a low of 208 in early Fall, I've been "creeping" up since like I normally do.  I turn 49 tomorrow and want to get below 200 by Summer, this contest's timing is perfect for me.  Sorry boys but it's all over but Otis's epic binge stories for the next three months. 
For FC42 

Ate a granola bar, banana, chicken quesadillas, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and black eyed peas today. And made an apple/banana/strawberry smoothie.

Also, ran 9.5 miles. And I'm prolly gonna drink some vodka later.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Weighed in today, was dreading looking at the scale, heaviest I have ever been.  300.4  Holy crap...this is really bad. I'm 6',  did weight watchers years ago and got down from 248 to 197.  Felt great.  It's just gotten worse and worse.  Going to go to just a healthy diet.  Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit, some protein for lunch with lots of veggies and some fruits.  Decent dinner, low fat protein etc.  Limited carbs and almost no sugar.  Will try to post updates daily on food choices etc, but will only be weighing in weekly.  If I can avoid fast food for 3-4 weeks the cravings will go away.  I need to do this for myself, my wife and my kids.

The money is a big motivator for me, but will still go in for the charity.  I actually volunteer at my church's food pantry in which we have ~100 volunteers once a month to give out a food distribution in our community to ~450 families.  We work with foodlink to provide the food and other items provided to the community.  This will be my charity if I would win, so I hope that's a decent motivator.

Good luck to all participants, hope we all lose a ton.

Weighed in today, was dreading looking at the scale, heaviest I have ever been.  300.4  Holy crap...this is really bad. I'm 6',  did weight watchers years ago and got down from 248 to 197.  Felt great.  It's just gotten worse and worse.  Going to go to just a healthy diet.  Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit, some protein for lunch with lots of veggies and some fruits.  Decent dinner, low fat protein etc.  Limited carbs and almost no sugar.  Will try to post updates daily on food choices etc, but will only be weighing in weekly.  If I can avoid fast food for 3-4 weeks the cravings will go away.  I need to do this for myself, my wife and my kids.

The money is a big motivator for me, but will still go in for the charity.  I actually volunteer at my church's food pantry in which we have ~100 volunteers once a month to give out a food distribution in our community to ~450 families.  We work with foodlink to provide the food and other items provided to the community.  This will be my charity if I would win, so I hope that's a decent motivator.

@fantasycurse42

Last edited by a moderator:

Good donation, would go a long way helping the church get food out to the community. 

Start dropping that weight :thumbup:

Spaghetti squash with a couple meatballs and marinara for dinner. Had a salad about an hour before. Still sick, which sucks, and I didn't move off the couch but to save a baby or two, but not a bad first day. 

Gonna stick this up here for motivation. Went back to look at old pictures to see how bad it's gotten. It's bad. This picture is a mere 5 years ago. Pre-marriage, pre-blown out knee, and was doing crossfit and yoga regularly on top of sports. Weighed 170 and was way stronger than I am now. Pathetic, really. 

https://imageshack.us/my/images

@fantasycurse42 @woz  

278.6, 33.2% body fat if the scale works for that.  All time high (or low) for me depending how you look at it.  Have a marathon in 7.5 weeks and I'll begin training tomorrow.  My charity will be JDRF.  Plan is to only eat what I burn off each day in exercise.  That should leave me with my metabolism burning 1700 cals a day based on a test last year.  3.5 lbs a week by 12 weeks = 42 pounds.

Woz - I can do my final weigh Friday morning of March 31 or pack the scale and take it with me on the road and weigh in that evening.  Was out of town today and traveled straight back to work.  Your call.

Users who are viewing this thread