Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Otis

    2311

  • AAABatteries

    1230

  • bostonfred

    1037

  • DA RAIDERS

    830

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, tr

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 20

I see the obvious problem here. A guy whose magnum opus on FBGs starts with "so I loan this chick I don't know 3 racks" called BS on me for saying I averaged a loss of 8 lbs a week on a diet. That is 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

http://i.imgur.com/oShLpjT.jpg

Shake Shack. I feel sick and uncomfortably full.

I have never eaten at a Shake Shack, but I feel like that golden brown delicious deep fried monstrosity on a bun should be named after me. What is that? And was it as good as it looks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cheeseypoof said:

I have an actual, not shtick, question.  Is this potato diet an actual real thing?  Never heard of it and I'm curious, although I would suspect it's too many carbs for a diabetic to consume consistently.

It works for some and not for others, mainly me. I gained 3lbs doing it during the great potato run of 2016. 

Im not doing keto or taters. Just old fashioned not gorging myself on crap diet

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The fried thing is their new Shack Chickenwich - yes, it was delicious. 

Closing in on 230 :kicksrock:

Tomorrow I intend on having yogurt for breakfast and white meat chicken with veggies for dinner.

I ate to the point of feeling disgusting today and really am now ready to get the diet going. Need to load the house up with healthy snacks too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cheeseypoof said:

I have an actual, not shtick, question.  Is this potato diet an actual real thing?  Never heard of it and I'm curious, although I would suspect it's too many carbs for a diabetic to consume consistently.

It is real and it works. I lost 60 lbs in a couple of months doing it, and all of my lab work normalized completely. My Fasting BG was in pre-diabetic range, and it completely normalized after about a month of doing potatoes only. The book that started it all was Tim Steele's The Potato Hack. 

IMHO, there would be a lot of benefit from doing it as a diabetic, but I'm not an MD. Most GPs and MDs have very little training in diet and rely on outdated dietary guidelines that use carb restriction as the method of maintaining BG. I've had some serious arguments with MDs at work about this, and some of them are starting to come around to having an open mind because the newer studies coming out seem to suggest that dietary fat restriction is more effective than carb restriction for decreasing insulin resistance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProstheticRGK said:

It is real and it works. I lost 60 lbs in a couple of months doing it, and all of my lab work normalized completely. My Fasting BG was in pre-diabetic range, and it completely normalized after about a month of doing potatoes only. The book that started it all was Tim Steele's The Potato Hack. 

IMHO, there would be a lot of benefit from doing it as a diabetic, but I'm not an MD. Most GPs and MDs have very little training in diet and rely on outdated dietary guidelines that use carb restriction as the method of maintaining BG. I've had some serious arguments with MDs at work about this, and some of them are starting to come around to having an open mind because the newer studies coming out seem to suggest that dietary fat restriction is more effective than carb restriction for decreasing insulin resistance.

Thanks.  I'll have to look into this further.  I could deal with spuds because I'm not a fan of veggies, although I'm forcing them into my new food regime as best as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

It is real and it works. I lost 60 lbs in a couple of months doing it, and all of my lab work normalized completely. My Fasting BG was in pre-diabetic range, and it completely normalized after about a month of doing potatoes only. The book that started it all was Tim Steele's The Potato Hack. 

IMHO, there would be a lot of benefit from doing it as a diabetic, but I'm not an MD. Most GPs and MDs have very little training in diet and rely on outdated dietary guidelines that use carb restriction as the method of maintaining BG. I've had some serious arguments with MDs at work about this, and some of them are starting to come around to having an open mind because the newer studies coming out seem to suggest that dietary fat restriction is more effective than carb restriction for decreasing insulin resistance.

 

This train of thought is outdated, and the studies leading to these conclusions are hopelessly flawed in their applications to the broader population base.  Healthy people on lower carb diets at lower weights simply have less insulin circulating in general.  The degree to which someone at a healthy weight is insulin resistant is mostly akin to making sure the violin player on the titanic has their sheet music.  There are far more important things to be worrying about.  

You'll find very few supporters of the insulin theory of body fatness here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

 

This train of thought is outdated, and the studies leading to these conclusions are hopelessly flawed in their applications to the broader population base.  Healthy people on lower carb diets at lower weights simply have less insulin circulating in general.  The degree to which someone at a healthy weight is insulin resistant is mostly akin to making sure the violin player on the titanic has their sheet music.  There are far more important things to be worrying about.  

You'll find very few supporters of the insulin theory of body fatness here.  

Black dot, so I can give this the consideration it deserves and not post a meandering reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Black dot, so I can give this the consideration it deserves and not post a meandering reply.

We have quite a few thermos here that are probably going to miss your insulin hit post because there is so much volume in this thread, usually this is red meat to them.  Maurile being the most fervent in bringing out the heavy artillery so if you have something meaningful make sure you @ him for the popcorn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:
22 minutes ago, culdeus said:

 

This train of thought is outdated, and the studies leading to these conclusions are hopelessly flawed in their applications to the broader population base.  Healthy people on lower carb diets at lower weights simply have less insulin circulating in general.  The degree to which someone at a healthy weight is insulin resistant is mostly akin to making sure the violin player on the titanic has their sheet music.  There are far more important things to be worrying about.  

You'll find very few supporters of the insulin theory of body fatness here.  

 

Black dot, so I can give this the consideration it deserves and not post a meandering reply.

 

I don't know culdeus - I'm not taking sides.  But I had amazing lab work results after only being on it for 10-11 days.  I am a type 2 and just on 1000mg metformin a day.  But I also have high blood pressure and high cholesterol/triglycerides.  I gotta believe there is something to this.

I just couldn't look at another potato.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I didn't start a ##### storm with my question.  I apologize if the tread gets derailed.  Definitely wasn't my intention.

 

The ***** was a 4 letter word for fecal matter, even though I didn't spell it out correctly.

Edited by cheeseypoof
explain the censoring
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Black dot, so I can give this the consideration it deserves and not post a meandering reply.

If he pays as much attention to potatoes as he does Westworld, any reply by you is fine.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I weighed myself 1/1. Heaviest check-in yet. Heaviest I've ever been, and it really sucks considering how far from grace I've fallen since my wedding in June 2015.

6'3"

378.8

I was running 5Ks two years ago :wall:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheAristocrat said:

Wish I could contribute here but my lack of kids has left me a relatively stress free life that has granted my 18 year old me and my 37 year old me the same girlish figure.

Good luck to all those in this mess. Make a new you in 2017!

I liked you better when you had a fake, crazy, hot, neighbor...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hagmania said:

I weighed myself 1/1. Heaviest check-in yet. Heaviest I've ever been, and it really sucks considering how far from grace I've fallen since my wedding in June 2015.

6'3"

378.8

I was running 5Ks two years ago :wall:

Are you in Hags?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, culdeus said:

We have quite a few thermos here that are probably going to miss your insulin hit post because there is so much volume in this thread, usually this is red meat to them.  Maurile being the most fervent in bringing out the heavy artillery so if you have something meaningful make sure you @ him for the popcorn.

Yes, definitely. I don't necessarily subscribe to the insulin theory of obesity, but I do think magical things happen on a VLF diet, (<20%, certainly, more like <10%) but some of those same things happen with carb restriction and high fat diets (>65%). My post to cheeseypoof was more about the beneficial effects of decreasing insulin resistance using VLF diet, which I am convinced works, without added risk of prolonged ketosis.

but, as always, I appreciate any good info from you, and others, whose opinions I respect. I'd like to formulate my hypotheses, and have them sharpened by the steel of other's knowledge. I'm self-taught, and a lazy thinker, so it will be a good exercise for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2017 at 8:16 AM, James Daulton said:

***  INITIAL WEIGH IN ***

234.1 via Fitbit scale.

After hitting a low of 208 in early Fall, I've been "creeping" up since like I normally do.  I turn 49 tomorrow and want to get below 200 by Summer, this contest's timing is perfect for me.  Sorry boys but it's all over but Otis's epic binge stories for the next three months. 

 

For FC42 

Link to post
Share on other sites

174.

Ate a granola bar, banana, chicken quesadillas, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and black eyed peas today. And made an apple/banana/strawberry smoothie.

Also, ran 9.5 miles. And I'm prolly gonna drink some vodka later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, James Daulton said:

For FC42 

Thanks.

This thread will prob be moving quick, so whenever anyone makes an official update, please include one of those "@fantasycurse42" notifications, that way I can add to the spreadsheet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fantasycurse42 said:

He said 270 +/- 5 pounds

Oh right, good catch. I thought he just said 270. 

I hope the people weighing in at night do they final weigh in at night as well. That's only fair. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weighed in today, was dreading looking at the scale, heaviest I have ever been.  300.4  Holy crap...this is really bad. I'm 6',  did weight watchers years ago and got down from 248 to 197.  Felt great.  It's just gotten worse and worse.  Going to go to just a healthy diet.  Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit, some protein for lunch with lots of veggies and some fruits.  Decent dinner, low fat protein etc.  Limited carbs and almost no sugar.  Will try to post updates daily on food choices etc, but will only be weighing in weekly.  If I can avoid fast food for 3-4 weeks the cravings will go away.  I need to do this for myself, my wife and my kids.

The money is a big motivator for me, but will still go in for the charity.  I actually volunteer at my church's food pantry in which we have ~100 volunteers once a month to give out a food distribution in our community to ~450 families.  We work with foodlink to provide the food and other items provided to the community.  This will be my charity if I would win, so I hope that's a decent motivator.

Good luck to all participants, hope we all lose a ton.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rick6668 said:

Weighed in today, was dreading looking at the scale, heaviest I have ever been.  300.4  Holy crap...this is really bad. I'm 6',  did weight watchers years ago and got down from 248 to 197.  Felt great.  It's just gotten worse and worse.  Going to go to just a healthy diet.  Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit, some protein for lunch with lots of veggies and some fruits.  Decent dinner, low fat protein etc.  Limited carbs and almost no sugar.  Will try to post updates daily on food choices etc, but will only be weighing in weekly.  If I can avoid fast food for 3-4 weeks the cravings will go away.  I need to do this for myself, my wife and my kids.

The money is a big motivator for me, but will still go in for the charity.  I actually volunteer at my church's food pantry in which we have ~100 volunteers once a month to give out a food distribution in our community to ~450 families.  We work with foodlink to provide the food and other items provided to the community.  This will be my charity if I would win, so I hope that's a decent motivator.

Good luck to all participants, hope we all lose a ton.

 

@fantasycurse42

Edited by rick6668
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rick6668 said:

Weighed in today, was dreading looking at the scale, heaviest I have ever been.  300.4  Holy crap...this is really bad. I'm 6',  did weight watchers years ago and got down from 248 to 197.  Felt great.  It's just gotten worse and worse.  Going to go to just a healthy diet.  Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit, some protein for lunch with lots of veggies and some fruits.  Decent dinner, low fat protein etc.  Limited carbs and almost no sugar.  Will try to post updates daily on food choices etc, but will only be weighing in weekly.  If I can avoid fast food for 3-4 weeks the cravings will go away.  I need to do this for myself, my wife and my kids.

The money is a big motivator for me, but will still go in for the charity.  I actually volunteer at my church's food pantry in which we have ~100 volunteers once a month to give out a food distribution in our community to ~450 families.  We work with foodlink to provide the food and other items provided to the community.  This will be my charity if I would win, so I hope that's a decent motivator.

Good luck to all participants, hope we all lose a ton.

Good donation, would go a long way helping the church get food out to the community. 

Start dropping that weight :thumbup:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spaghetti squash with a couple meatballs and marinara for dinner. Had a salad about an hour before. Still sick, which sucks, and I didn't move off the couch but to save a baby or two, but not a bad first day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna stick this up here for motivation. Went back to look at old pictures to see how bad it's gotten. It's bad. This picture is a mere 5 years ago. Pre-marriage, pre-blown out knee, and was doing crossfit and yoga regularly on top of sports. Weighed 170 and was way stronger than I am now. Pathetic, really. 

https://imageshack.us/my/images

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Zow said:

Gonna stick this up here for motivation. Went back to look at old pictures to see how bad it's gotten. It's bad. This picture is a mere 5 years ago. Pre-marriage, pre-blown out knee, and was doing crossfit and yoga regularly on top of sports. Weighed 170 and was way stronger than I am now. Pathetic, really. 

https://imageshack.us/my/images

Link's not working.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Zow said:

Gonna stick this up here for motivation. Went back to look at old pictures to see how bad it's gotten. It's bad. This picture is a mere 5 years ago. Pre-marriage, pre-blown out knee, and was doing crossfit and yoga regularly on top of sports. Weighed 170 and was way stronger than I am now. Pathetic, really. 

https://imageshack.us/my/images

You looked awesome back then

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

Thinking about it in raw numbers, you're almost 40% heavier now with with less muscle.  How old were you in the pic?

28

Link to post
Share on other sites

@fantasycurse42 @woz  

278.6, 33.2% body fat if the scale works for that.  All time high (or low) for me depending how you look at it.  Have a marathon in 7.5 weeks and I'll begin training tomorrow.  My charity will be JDRF.  Plan is to only eat what I burn off each day in exercise.  That should leave me with my metabolism burning 1700 cals a day based on a test last year.  3.5 lbs a week by 12 weeks = 42 pounds.

Woz - I can do my final weigh Friday morning of March 31 or pack the scale and take it with me on the road and weigh in that evening.  Was out of town today and traveled straight back to work.  Your call.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Otis changed the title to Otis fad diet thread — Also rowing, yoga and pillows (and let’s not be fat)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...