Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — Now kind of a rowing thread (but also let’s not be fat)

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, tr

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 20

I see the obvious problem here. A guy whose magnum opus on FBGs starts with "so I loan this chick I don't know 3 racks" called BS on me for saying I averaged a loss of 8 lbs a week on a diet. That is 

Posted Images

These ywa are a bit on the easy side on the 30 day ones.   Jmo.  

I haven't found really the right YouTube yoga yet.  The app Alo moves I tried but that #### about killed me.  

12 hours ago, [icon] said:

What's up! The Yoga mention pulled me in. 

Have been doing nightly walks/jogs with the GF since near the start of lockdown. Usually about ~3miles. Nothing crazy but has been a nice evening ritual. Keep a good pace that has heart rate up and ya good and sweaty. 

Started working in some basic dumbbell exercises at the start of July (have Bowflex Adjustables). Mid July I hit up a buddy's wife for a more detailed plan, as she's a published ASCM-CPT from her days in NYC. She got all into it and I now have an alternating 2 day workout that's pretty thorough using just 2 dumbbells and body weight. Been increasing weight gradually, and she's reviewing my progress and adjusting the program weekly.

Generally 7-8 exercises a day, 2 sets per exercise. I knock it out in about 30mins between morning meetings, while watching the news. Use Gymaholic app to track. Nice app. 

Had started doing the 2 days then taking a rest day (to mitigate injury) but quickly started lifting every day. Actually felt better doing that so it was Interesting reading Maurile's comments on rest days above. 

Have also started using MyFitnessPal again to track caloric input and macros. Going high protein. Gf is using Noom so Ive been building our meal plans around their Green>Yellow>Red principle. That's been helpful guidance too. Lots of veggies, way more rice and potatoes for starches and cut almost all pasta, lean(ish) proteins like cod, chicken breast, tuna, shrimp, sirloin. 

I'm feeling better than I have in years. Resting heart rate is down ~15bpm. Body starting to tighten up. Already seeing definition surfacing in a few areas. Energy levels increasing. Generally just "feel great" (that body buzz you get). 

The question: 

Been doing good at sticking with it so far. Have been thinking about adding Yoga to the mix for flexibility. Is that something you can do 1-2 days a week and pick up results (flexibility mostly)? Or is it something that needs frequency to have any real impact? 

I want to keep strength training at least 5 days a week... my body has typically responded most quickly to it... cutting fat and changing my body shape. That said my flexibility is diminishing with age and I'd like to fight that a bit. 

TIA. 

Can you share the dumbbell workouts?  

45 minutes ago, culdeus said:

These ywa are a bit on the easy side on the 30 day ones.   Jmo.  

I haven't found really the right YouTube yoga yet.  The app Alo moves I tried but that #### about killed me.  

What are you looking for from a difficult/challenging session? More time? More flow/less breaks between moves? More new and interesting moves?  More strength or flexibility or calories burned?

40 minutes ago, ditka...mike ditka said:

Can you share the dumbbell workouts?  

Sure! 

here are the exercise lists for the two days.  I build / track the workouts in Gymaholic app. Cheap subscription. 

She tweaks them every two weeks. I use an ottoman in place of a bench.

Bench presses are with my Upper back on the ottoman and feet on the ground. I like being able to get deeper than possible on the floor. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Sure! 

here are the exercise lists for the two days.  I build / track the workouts in Gymaholic app. Cheap subscription. 

She tweaks them every two weeks. I use an ottoman in place of a bench.

Bench presses are with my Upper back on the ottoman and feet on the ground. I like being able to get deeper than possible on the floor. 

Thanks.  And thats funny, im at my in-laws for the month and just today started using their ottoman and a few dumbbells I brought with me since i had no other option

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

What are you looking for from a difficult/challenging session? More time? More flow/less breaks between moves? More new and interesting moves?  More strength or flexibility or calories burned?

I'm usually looking for more flow that does have a few isometric holds in the mix without any meditation.  Also don't mind working balance. Alo was lol, it was like here's the basic stuff and if you want more do this, and the modified low intensity was damn near over my head.  

Flexibility wise if I feel I need it I do difrancos limber 11, which is good prehab.  I wouldn't mind getting a bit more hip stuff but Joe has me covered if not. 

7 hours ago, culdeus said:

This is my main workout plan right now.  It's the one I talked @Otis into and he kept at it longer than anything else you all have managed.  It splits the 5-day out to 6-day but has the same volume. 

https://tybp.us/2lQYHFb

I did it for a couple years. Got stronger than I ever was. And if my diet weren’t crap I’d probably have looked pretty fit. It is the workout plan that sort of got me back on the fitness horse after doing absolutely nothing for years. Good plan. 

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

Thanks to all for the yoga feedback. Will start working that into the plan in 2 weeks. 

I’m two days in, so basically a yoga expert, but I’m a fan. Wait until you get to the advanced move like the Boston crab. Neat!

Day 3 off to a bad start. Will need to solve and backfill. Some jackhat set an 8am video conference, so I need to get showered and ready for that, and Mrs. O slept in, so no time for a row. I’ll do a midday yoga session, but want to work in a row later too. 

Tomorrow Mrs. O and I have a day trip out of town, but it should allow me to get in my morning row, squeezing in yoga later will be tricker but hopefully doable.  

Anyone want to take my kids and dog?  TIA 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Morning yoga nerds. Day 3 of cooking with Andrea. Reminder that anyone can start at any time. 

The beginner flow (the original 2015 30 days of yoga) has some balance exercises and something you might not have tried before called a three legged dog. https://youtu.be/FqGHWXjgn-M

I just previewed the advanced flow and I have good news and bad news.  It's another short one - under 20 minutes. But it's tough.  Like the beginners, we'll be doing three legged dogs but with some extra core goodness. And side planks. ####### side planks..  https://youtu.be/6rh6pVGTqRU

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats  @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
5 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Morning yoga nerds. Day 3 of cooking with Andrea. Reminder that anyone can start at any time. 

The beginner flow (the original 2015 30 days of yoga) has some balance exercises and something you might not have tried before called a three legged dog. https://youtu.be/FqGHWXjgn-M

I just previewed the advanced flow and I have good news and bad news.  It's another short one - under 20 minutes. But it's tough.  Like the beginners, we'll be doing three legged dogs but with some extra core goodness. And side planks. ####### side planks..  https://youtu.be/6rh6pVGTqRU

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats  @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus

It wasn't too bad.  The more difficult stuff went quickly and then there'd be a little rest.  The bad news:  yogi bicycles!  The good news:  Benji is back!  I hated yesterday's set and no Benji - it was all very dreary. 

Which brings me to a minor complaint about this one vs. the HOME program I did the first time.  The latter was a planned 30-day program and felt cohesive, whereas this is 30 days of stuff she's done in the past that she'd repackaged as "Courage."  It doesn't feel like the flow is as good so far.  I did like today's, though - good workout without feeling impossible.  And there was no request to raise your leg in side plank!

• Like 2

“Otis, ok, so we know you suck at stretching and also at standing on the tops of your feet as opposed to the bottom — what else are you terrible at?”

”Oh man.  Balancing.  I suck at balancing.”

”Cool.  Let’s do that for 30 minutes.”

Day 3 of Alyssa down.  Heading downstairs to row now.....

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Otis said:

“Otis, ok, so we know you suck at stretching and also at standing on the tops of your feet as opposed to the bottom — what else are you terrible at?”

”Oh man.  Balancing.  I suck at balancing.”

”Cool.  Let’s do that for 30 minutes.”

Day 3 of Alyssa down.  Heading downstairs to row now.....

Dude this is going to be 30 days of things you suck at but by the end you won't suck as badly at them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
20 minutes ago, krista4 said:

It wasn't too bad.  The more difficult stuff went quickly and then there'd be a little rest.  The bad news:  yogi bicycles! 

The good news - I laughed out loud today. 

The bad news - it was at the end when she told us it was ok to curse her name because I had literally said #### you Adriene about two minutes earlier when she said "ok, 30 more seconds!". Yup, during those yogi bicycles.

Honestly when I finished the side planks and she said to turn around and lie down on the mat I thought she was going to tell me to lie down and envision peaceful ####, not take it to yet another level.  It wasn't that bad, and I am happy that I'm getting better at side planks, but only in the sense that I'd still obviously prefer never to have to do them again. 

• Like 2

People must really be missing the gym.  Yesterday while out on my ride I saw some dude on an elliptical bike, just cruising down the street.  It looked exactly like what you see at the gym, except it had two wheels underneath.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Dude this is going to be 30 days of things you suck at but by the end you won't suck as badly at them. 

Yep. I remember my first time dabbling in this. It was pilates and not yoga, but they're very similar. I was in my mid 20's and probably the bets physical shape of my life. My first several sessions were an abject disaster. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, eaganwildcats said:

Row then yoga back to back. This is reminding me why I don’t like yoga which is neat. 

28 days left!

Terrible headache today. Probably doing this at night then going to bed and not hydrating properly or something dumb. Hopefully will shake it before this evening. Likely just yoga regardless. 

• Like 1

@eaganwildcats I think I went into some portal in asensai. Today I had a totally new instructor, some boy band dude named Johan (I already miss Eric), and we walked into a place called Row Club with a class of people. Was a good 25 minute workout, I did my best ever 500m split time of 1:46. But I preferred Eric. Note, I just keep going with the next workout they offer me. Maybe it’s because I subscribed?  Oh well. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

If anyone can get less flexible after stretching for 30 days, it's Otis!!!!

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1
26 minutes ago, culdeus said:

/r/outoftheloop we just changing the poor girl's name in every post because nobody can spell it right?

The lone person identifying as a female in this thread may have asked that all the other thread participants correctly spell Alinda's name.  So all the other members of the thread have responded as would be expected from immature middle school students.

Just another day in the circus known as FFA.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Otis, what have you eaten so far today in the midst of all this rowing and yogapose madness?

Thank you for asking.  A few cups of coffee, and finally at 3:30 pm I rolled through a 190 Sabra avocado toast package.  And water.  I’ve been rolling on just that.  Oh and a thirst for glory. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Otis said:

Otis, what have you eaten so far today in the midst of all this rowing and yogapose madness?

Thank you for asking.  A few cups of coffee, and finally at 3:30 pm I rolled through a 190 Sabra avocado toast package.  And water.  I’ve been rolling on just that.  Oh and a thirst for glory. 

I suddenly have great concern for Thursday Otis' decision making.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
49 minutes ago, Otis said:

@eaganwildcats I think I went into some portal in asensai. Today I had a totally new instructor, some boy band dude named Johan (I already miss Eric), and we walked into a place called Row Club with a class of people. Was a good 25 minute workout, I did my best ever 500m split time of 1:46. But I preferred Eric. Note, I just keep going with the next workout they offer me. Maybe it’s because I subscribed?  Oh well. 

Yeah I subscribed too. Maybe they have a fancy algorithm to give you the workout you need. I think I did that one last Friday - Johan was effortlessly pulling like 1:35 if memory serves. 

aryannas day 16 + Ambuh's (she's from boston) day 3 kicked my ###.  more specifically my wrists.  and all of the one legged business is very challenging, but fun!  #fsideplanks

gonna wait a bit to do today's pushups.  

here's a positive to yoga.  getting into and out of the car, in the 2 car garage, with the door not fully open. has become much easier and graceful.  i'm not grunting nearly as much :D 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I suddenly have great concern for Thursday Otis' decision making.

29 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I'm more concerned about 8pm tonight.

i'll take saturday afternoon, for a rack.  

he should be feeling pretty damn good about himself, so deserves a treat/s*.(this is often my downfall)

*booze

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i'll take saturday afternoon, for a rack.  

he should be feeling pretty damn good about himself, so deserves a treat/s*.(this is often my downfall)

*booze

One thing's for certain - the moment Otis flips the 'this is easy!' switch failure is usually not too far behind.

This is not going to be easy. Telling yourself that is when you fail. So tell yourself that this will be hard. Go eat dinner. Stay the #### away from the liquor cabinet. And if you open the pantry I hope a loose oreo falls out of it's perch and penetrates your eyeball.

• Laughing 1
47 minutes ago, Otis said:

you're gonna need more fuel.  your body will get to a point where it will demand fuel.  that's when the binging begins.  this also happens to me.  if i don't eat enough during the day, i am STARVING at night.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

you're gonna need more fuel.  your body will get to a point where it will demand fuel.  that's when the binging begins.  this also happens to me.  if i don't eat enough during the day, i am STARVING at night.  

:goodposting:

Lots of different sets of circumstances trigger bad decision making, but an empty stomach and a lack of willpower is a lethal combination. 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, eaganwildcats said:

Yeah I subscribed too. Maybe they have a fancy algorithm to give you the workout you need. I think I did that one last Friday - Johan was effortlessly pulling like 1:35 if memory serves. 

Exactly.  He’s a real richard that guy. 

38 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

One thing's for certain - the moment Otis flips the 'this is easy!' switch failure is usually not too far behind.

This is not going to be easy. Telling yourself that is when you fail. So tell yourself that this will be hard. Go eat dinner. Stay the #### away from the liquor cabinet. And if you open the pantry I hope a loose oreo falls out of it's perch and penetrates your eyeball.

:lmao:

I’ve had two (2) cookies each night after dinner for the past few nights.  I’m oddly to the point where I don’t want more snacks after that.  :shrug:

I am, however, continuing to drink lightly.  White wine mixed in with 50% seltzer and ice.  I have a few of those and I’m good to go.  I’ve even had a scotch and cigar here or there.  I can’t have more than 1-2 scotches, so I’m good.

Bottom line, don’t worry guys I got this, because Sabrina told me to focus on my intention when I was sitting Indian style. 

2 minutes ago, Otis said:

:lmao:

I’ve had two (2) cookies each night after dinner for the past few nights.  I’m oddly to the point where I don’t want more snacks after that.  :shrug:

I am, however, continuing to drink lightly.  White wine mixed in with 50% seltzer and ice.  I have a few of those and I’m good to go.  I’ve even had a scotch and cigar here or there.  I can’t have more than 1-2 scotches, so I’m good.

Bottom line, don’t worry guys I got this, because Sabrina told me to focus on my intention when I was sitting Indian style. 

It's been...**checks notes**...3 days.

You don't have this. When it's been 3 months, you still haven't relapsed, and conquered a real life hurdle somewhere along the way then maybe you can begin to tell yourself that you do. Til then, you don't.

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i don't have it yet

I don’t either but I’m also willing to admit that.  And I’m ok with it.  Just trying to generally lead a healthier lifestyle.  That’s my main goal and I feel like I can accomplish that.

• Like 5

5000m row in 23:56. First time breaking the 24 minute mark for me 👍

Knocked out another 100 pushups, up to 300 for the week 

I don’t have it but I will say this thread is helping me get there  

Beer me 🍺

• Like 5
1 minute ago, berndog said:

Beer me 🍺

Nice. Get it. And enjoy that beer. 

@berndog what rower are you on?  If a Concept2 I do recommend the asensei app. It’s pretty solid and keeps things interesting. 

21 minutes ago, Otis said:

Nice. Get it. And enjoy that beer. 

@berndog what rower are you on?  If a Concept2 I do recommend the asensei app. It’s pretty solid and keeps things interesting. 

I bought an older Concept2 so it has the PM3.  I think an upgrade to the PM5 is in my future which well let me use the asensei 

• Like 1

Ran 3 miles. Off day from pushups and did my yoga early so i tried a couple extra side planks just to see how they feel because they are my nemesis. I am able to hold them longer and longer each time.  I might add those in to my regular routine on alternate days with my pushups.  Would love to get to the point where they're just another exercise. 

Felt good afterwards. Started to pour myself a glass of wine, and looked at the last page.  Decided against it.  Thank you @Otis , in a way you are leading by example.  

• Like 4
11 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

i don't have it yet

10 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I don’t either but I’m also willing to admit that.  And I’m ok with it.  Just trying to generally lead a healthier lifestyle.  That’s my main goal and I feel like I can accomplish that.

10 hours ago, kevzilla said:

I don't have it. I've lost 70 pounds, none of them in the last month or so. Still have 60 to go. I'll continue to get better at it over time, because that is my intention.

8 hours ago, berndog said:

Beer me 🍺

We Love ya @Otis

• Like 1

Day 4 of doing yoga together but a reminder that anyone can start at any time. 

The beginner flow (the original 2015 30 days of yoga) is all about back health and has some new moves including a couple twists and a lot ot work starting from plank position. If you're new you might find it easier to do this one with a tablet at the front of your yoga mat/area because you'll be looking down a decent amount today. https://youtu.be/gLQsM6geGzs

The advanced flow today is a short flow for the arms, only 15 minutes and not very intense, so I'm  going to call an audible here and have you do day 6 of the 2015 flow instead (or in addition, if you're looking for a longer workout). This is entitled six pack abs and it has more of those yogi bicycles we did yesterday, plus a bunch of other good core strength exercises.  I actually love the little stir thing she does later in the flow.  https://youtu.be/tWPpdP4IhEY.  Tomorrow and the next day are 45 minutes and 60 minutes, so enjoy the shorter practice today - or do the original plan with https://youtu.be/7agiIk9KgyI - or maybe both.

Whatever you do, enjoy your day and post your results, but if you do end up trying the six pack abs, let me know what you think.  I've gone back and done it quite a few times now and it still kicks my butt but not quite as badly as it did that first time.

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus @Poke_4_Life

• Like 2