Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — Now kind of a rowing thread (but also let’s not be fat)

3 minutes ago, eaganwildcats said:

Day ten in the books. 1/3 to the finish line. @bostonfred will likely start the 100 push up program next week. How far are you? I’ve started it in the past a few times but never finished. 

I finish week 2 tomorrow, but I ended up doing week 1 day 2 twice and week 1 day 3 twice because I was struggling with my form at the end of my sets. I struggled with the last couple yesterday too, so I'm going to be super careful with moving up. I'm not trying to impress anyone and there's no reward for finishing "on time" but there's a huge reward for finishing stronger and injury free. I already seen some results. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, tr

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 20

I see the obvious problem here. A guy whose magnum opus on FBGs starts with "so I loan this chick I don't know 3 racks" called BS on me for saying I averaged a loss of 8 lbs a week on a diet. That is 

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I finish week 2 tomorrow, but I ended up doing week 1 day 2 twice and week 1 day 3 twice because I was struggling with my form at the end of my sets. I struggled with the last couple yesterday too, so I'm going to be super careful with moving up. I'm not trying to impress anyone and there's no reward for finishing "on time" but there's a huge reward for finishing stronger and injury free. I already seen some results. 

Yeah I think in the past I went to the next week before I was ready and it’s kinda a bummer. Smart to just keep going until you feel good about the week you are on. 

• Like 2

Completed the night with a 30 minute body combat.  The workout ended with 2 minutes of alternating shoulder touch pushups followed by 3 minutes of squat, burpee, tuck jumps.     :cry:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
17 minutes ago, Otis said:

Day 11 and I’m feeling more achy with each morning.  Wondering if at some point a rest day wouldn’t be such a terrible idea....................

If your body is telling you to take rest then take rest.  You're in your 40s, people our age get random injuries from sleeping or walking up stairs wrong.  Just about everyone in this thread has taken a day off because they weren't feeling good or had big weekend plans. Sometimes people double up the next day to catch up. 

My first day doing hundredpushups.com I had to take a rest day after doing 45 pushups across five sets.  Da Raiders does 50 pushups in one set, every day.  It's not a competition, except against yourself.  Today I'm going to do 81 pushups across five sets, just a couple weeks after being exhausted by 45.  Maurile and I have different opinions on this, but I believe rest is a big reason I am progressing quickly. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Day 11 and I’m feeling more achy with each morning.  Wondering if at some point a rest day wouldn’t be such a terrible idea....................

Yoga only as pseudo ‘rest’ days have been great for me. Keeps you doing ‘something’ but not nearly as challenging as also including the row (which with asensei can be fairly strenuous). Highly recommend. 

• Like 2

JK, finished day 11. Crazy row ( @eaganwildcats, the 500 m rows where they keep increasing the split time are damn hard. I think you said they had you at like a 1:35 split?  Pretty sure I’d die. My last 500m today staying under 1:50 and it was like I was drowning, lungs just couldn’t get enough oxygen in fast enough, good gravy...beat  all my splits though), followed immediately by yoga while I was already a sweaty mess. Feels great to knock out both before 9am. May try and do that some more. 

Another weekend ahead, where all the challenges await....

I would like to get in on this push up thing though. Just like don’t even know where to begin....

Edited by Otis
  • Like 5

hey brohans just checking in i have been holding steady and not gained or lost any significant amount of weight but today on my morning walk i actually jogged for good chunks which is the first time i have jogged since a surgery on my lower extremeties i had about 6 years ago so basically i will probably be in all sorts of pain later on tonight but right now i am feelin pretty dammed good take that to the bank brochachos 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Day 11 of doing yoga together but a reminder that anyone can start at any time and it's totally ok to take a rest day if you need to.  

Beginner flow is a little different today, it's called Shakti yoga but it's many of the same poses.  A lot more seated poses which is nice. She's wearing her Don't Give Up T-shirt just for @Otis - how did she know?  https://youtu.be/6mDyGogsMtQ

Advanced flow is even easier, yoga for neck and shoulder pain. Short practice, under 20 minutes and the whole thing is seated.  It's like she knows that ten straight days is a lot so we need to dial back https://youtu.be/SedzswEwpPw

If you're looking to do extra, try one of the past practices, or maybe do one from this weekend now if you are going to have trouble finding the time. Good job by everyone who's been keeping up with this.

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus @Poke_4_Life @ragincajun @The Flying Turtle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Day 11 of doing yoga together but a reminder that anyone can start at any time and it's totally ok to take a rest day if you need to.  

Beginner flow is a little different today, it's called Shakti yoga but it's many of the same poses.  A lot more seated poses which is nice. She's wearing her Don't Give Up T-shirt just for @Otis - how did she know?  https://youtu.be/6mDyGogsMtQ

Advanced flow is even easier, yoga for neck and shoulder pain. Short practice, under 20 minutes and the whole thing is seated.  It's like she knows that ten straight days is a lot so we need to dial back https://youtu.be/SedzswEwpPw

If you're looking to do extra, try one of the past practices, or maybe do one from this weekend now if you are going to have trouble finding the time. Good job by everyone who's been keeping up with this.

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus @Poke_4_Life @ragincajun @The Flying Turtle

Yes, not much to it, which was fine with me.  Was a little sore in the upper abdomen today from my double-up yesterday.  Today’s highlight:  when she realized she had toothpaste on her shirt.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Otis said:

don't.

it's ok that it's hard.  achy is ok.  i'm sore.  i'm on days 25/11 of yoga, day 25 of 100 pushups and have logged 45 miles.  i didn't want to do yesterday.  haven't done today yet.  but i will.

you can do it.

eta: i see you did it.  good job!   feel free to refer to this post, when needed.

Edited by DA RAIDERS
  • Like 4
17 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

don't.

it's ok that it's hard.  achy is ok.  i'm sore.  i'm on days 25/11 of yoga, day 25 of 100 pushups and have logged 45 miles.  

you can do it.

I'm always conflicted when it comes to this when I'm not actually monitoring someone's movement. Because as the ole saying goes- are ya hurt or are ya injured. If you're just hurt then get back out there.

But...when you're hurt...when you're tired...that's when you're prone to make form mistakes. Over compensations, lazy technique, and the like. That's when hurt can develop into an injury. It takes a certain mental focus to prevent this from happening. This is something that's not difficult to teach when you're fresh, but when fatigued varies wildly person-to-person. Some get it almost immediately. Others never do. And most fall somewhere in between.

So as a general rule I agree w/Stabler here, but only with both good self assessment skills and a commitment to focusing on technique while fatigued. If you don't check both of those boxes then take a day off.

• Like 3

Surprised myself by finishing my pushups today. Hundredpushups.com week 2 day 3 was 16, 17, 14, 14, 20. When I started the first set ofm16 i had serious doubts .. the 19th and 20th on that last set i definitely cheated, and I'm sure some of my others weren't perfect, but overall my form is decent and I'm able to go at a controlled pace. Unquestionably better than I was a couple weeks ago. I am tempted to do 19 more to hit 100 for the day but it's working and I'm going to trust the process. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, krista4 said:

Yes, not much to it, which was fine with me.  Was a little sore in the upper abdomen today from my double-up yesterday.  Today’s highlight:  when she realized she had toothpaste on her shirt.

Can we get some spoiler tags on the oothpastetay irtshay? 

Her dog slept through the whole thing and burned more calories than she did, but I'm good with it too. 

• Like 1

Trying to start a new routine to get healthier and get through these next 9-12 months. I somehow was able to get two 35lb kettlebells despite an apparent national shortage. I was going to incorporate foundation training for my back, but these yoga videos seem great too. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 3

Knocked out Day 12 yoga.  The balancing was a little difficult, but I actually really dug the tree pose stuff.

Today may be an off day of rowing.  The program I'm doing is supposed to be 3 times per week, not every day.  I think my shoulders and body could use a break, especially as the rows are getting more intense.

• Like 4

keep on keepin on bromigos i am going to go up north in wisconsin which is sort of a thing round about here and i googled me up some sweet trails so i am going to take my bike with me and get some trail work done up in the northwoods and try to make this vacation break one where i do not backslide take that to the bank brochachos 

• Like 4

Day 12 of doing yoga together but a reminder that anyone can start at any time and it's totally ok to take a rest day if you need to.  

Beginner flow is a nice shorter one today, under 20 minutes but some good new shapes. It's called yoga for spinal health but there's some good balance poses today so you'll get some leg workout if you're a little shaky. https://youtu.be/PZwc6gWmOyQ

Advanced flow is another short one today, but tomorrow's is a full hour of yoga for weight loss so plan accordingly.  Today is 20mminutesnog yoga for gut health, whatever that means.  Looks like some light abs and core stretching. https://youtu.be/p433HzhvB44

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus @Poke_4_Life @ragincajun @The Flying Turtle @Leeroy Jenkins

• Like 2

PS I still weigh exactly the same -- 235.  If I could figure out a way to care more and get my diet in check, I'd love to lose 20 or 30lbs.  Damnit.  Hell, if I fixed my diet and ate well while doing all this working out, I have to imagine that would happen pretty easily...  Ah well.  The weekend is here.  And I need drinks and tacos.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
56 minutes ago, Otis said:

PS I still weigh exactly the same -- 235.  If I could figure out a way to care more and get my diet in check, I'd love to lose 20 or 30lbs.  Damnit.  Hell, if I fixed my diet and ate well while doing all this working out, I have to imagine that would happen pretty easily...  Ah well.  The weekend is here.  And I need drinks and tacos.

We are similar with the diet issues.   I enjoy working out but love to eat.   I’m still holding steady at about 198 and am not fat at 6’ tall.   But, I could look better and be healthier by losing some weight.   I could lose 5-10 pounds by just eating better and/or a little less.   

• Like 3

here is swcs taco solution because i like me some tacos and because i love yall in this thead i am going to hit the space bar

99 percent lean ground turkey as your meat about one half of a package browned up with diced onions  

about one half of a low sodium krogers taco seasoning pack in the meat while its browning

then to make them use xtreme low carb shells at 50 calories per shell you can oven or grill these babies a little bit to get them a little textury 

red onions with a little lime juice on them on top

fresh jalapeno cut into discs on top

a couple of slices of avacado on top

lettuce on top

bam that whole show will be like 650 to 700 calories and its a lean mean heart healthy cuisine take that to the bank brochachos 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Day 12 of doing yoga together but a reminder that anyone can start at any time and it's totally ok to take a rest day if you need to.  

Beginner flow is a nice shorter one today, under 20 minutes but some good new shapes. It's called yoga for spinal health but there's some good balance poses today so you'll get some leg workout if you're a little shaky. https://youtu.be/PZwc6gWmOyQ

Advanced flow is another short one today, but tomorrow's is a full hour of yoga for weight loss so plan accordingly.  Today is 20mminutesnog yoga for gut health, whatever that means.  Looks like some light abs and core stretching. https://youtu.be/p433HzhvB44

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats @Dickies @Ministry of Pain @[icon] @culdeus @Poke_4_Life @ragincajun @The Flying Turtle @Leeroy Jenkins

Another very easy one, but this was more enjoyable to me than yesterday's as there were some good stretches and at least a teeny-tiny bit of ab work.  Ready for an hour tomorrow!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

We are similar with the diet issues.   I enjoy working out but love to eat.   I’m still holding steady at about 198 and am not fat at 6’ tall.   But, I could look better and be healthier by losing some weight.   I could lose 5-10 pounds by just eating better and/or a little less.   

I hear you GB. How the heck do we crack this nut?  I’m taller and heavier than you but probably similar. I’m not obese and nobody is sitting me down for an intervention. But I’m still 30lbs past where I need to be and suffer from middle aged dad bod dude syndrome. 

• Thinking 1

It's been a while since I gave a weight update, basically because I'm just holding steady.  I quit WW a couple of months ago after having ignored it for a month or two before that.  I know what I need to do if I wish to maintain or lose, so I didn't need it anymore.  As you might recall, I ended up 10-11 pounds under my goal weight, so now I've decided that the 10 pounds under will be my goal weight to maintain instead.  Right now I'm about two pounds above, but it doesn't concern me.  I go up a little, and then I hunker down and lose it again.  I've never gone more than 4-5 pounds up, and that's easy to lose.

I had a revelation last week - hard alcohol!  Wait, what?  Well, I've learned that while when I have wine I tend to want to drink the whole bottle, when I have rum or tequila one mixed drink is enough to last me all evening.  So when I want a drink, I'm more often mixing up a cocktail using rum or tequila, Bubly flavored (but zero calorie) sparkling water, and then a small shot of some flavor of Mio.  Tastes good and I can sip it for hours.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

day 26.  struggling to find any sort of GAF.  the easy, meditative yogas are not my bag.  i'd rather do the hour long, hard ones, every day.

and 100 pushups is getting boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.  may crank it up to 200.  which sounds even more tedious.  :( 

went out and walked a mile, with my family.   we picked up trash.  that was cool.  hot AF though.

i guess i'll get to it.  

must.  give.  a.  .....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

It's been a while since I gave a weight update, basically because I'm just holding steady.  I quit WW a couple of months ago after having ignored it for a month or two before that.  I know what I need to do if I wish to maintain or lose, so I didn't need it anymore.  As you might recall, I ended up 10-11 pounds under my goal weight, so now I've decided that the 10 pounds under will be my goal weight to maintain instead.  Right now I'm about two pounds above, but it doesn't concern me.  I go up a little, and then I hunker down and lose it again.  I've never gone more than 4-5 pounds up, and that's easy to lose.

I had a revelation last week - hard alcohol!  Wait, what?  Well, I've learned that while when I have wine I tend to want to drink the whole bottle, when I have rum or tequila one mixed drink is enough to last me all evening.  So when I want a drink, I'm more often mixing up a cocktail using rum or tequila, Bubly flavored (but zero calorie) sparkling water, and then a small shot of some flavor of Mio.  Tastes good and I can sip it for hours.

I have been making variations of the negroni. 

• Like 1

found just enough GAF.  day 26 in the books.  only 4 more double ups.

one cool thing about today, is that i was able to roll to a seated position.  from my back, knees up, crossed ankles, grabbing my feet, into the "easy position"  this wasn't happening a few weeks ago.  grabbing my feet like that, used to torque my knee a bit.  nice to have that breakthrough.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Otis said:

Thread needs more fad diet. I may break out the potato hack again. Just 30 days. For serious. 

Do what works for you.    Make a goal to lose 5-10 pounds.  Make the goal seem easy and easily obtainable.   

I’m going to reduce the carbs on non-workout days.  Cutting carbs in half seems easy and should bring about slow and steady results.  Maybe.    

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kevzilla said:

I had almost 17K steps yesterday and was up for 24 hours. I may not fully understand 'time off'.

I've been working out a lot during isolation but my steps have gone down significantly.  Now that I stopped running (and walking apparently), I'm lucky to get 5,000 steps in a day.  But I pretty much always get my calorie goal because of yoga + exercise.  

Ywa is interesting. She's aware of her goofiness and sexuality all at once but she isn't.  It's endearing for sure. 

I think it's great for having an extra break during work day and for sure in Texas my previous option was walking in 105 heat for last few weeks.  Enjoyed it. 

• Like 2