Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — Now kind of a rowing thread (but also let’s not be fat)

Was able to get in a 30 minute body combat today and completed my calorie goal.  I ate really well today as well.  However, I wasn't able to get in Day 15 yoga so tomorrow is a double session.

• Like 2
  • Replies 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woke up today at 324.6 lbs.  Down 29.4 lbs since the end of November.  At this point all I've done is change my eating habits. Smaller portions, better choices, as little refined sugar as possible, tr

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 20

I see the obvious problem here. A guy whose magnum opus on FBGs starts with "so I loan this chick I don't know 3 racks" called BS on me for saying I averaged a loss of 8 lbs a week on a diet. That is 

Posted Images

Row done. Yoga later. 

Yesterday’s yoga and all the new poses had me wake up with all sorts of body aches.  Overall I’m starting to feel stronger and more flexible and more fit, just after two weeks. Gotta solve for the diet, because if I do, and if I can keep this up,  l’ll be feeling like a new person. 

• Like 2

@bostonfred, I hope things are going better family-wise.

Today's advanced yoga was an easy one, about 19 minutes and very slow.  While yesterday's moves were at double-time, today's were at half-time.  Bonus for the guys:  she's on the beach, and there is cleavage.  Well, insomuch as she has boobs, which isn't much.  Today's Adriene distraction:  "butterfly in the sand!"

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Otis said:

Row done. Yoga later. 

Yesterday’s yoga and all the new poses had me wake up with all sorts of body aches.  Overall I’m starting to feel stronger and more flexible and more fit, just after two weeks. Gotta solve for the diet, because if I do, and if I can keep this up,  l’ll be feeling like a new person. 

I'm seriously impressed that you're doing all of this.  :thumbup: 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Today's advanced yoga was an easy one, about 19 minutes and very slow.  While yesterday's moves were at double-time, today's were at half-time.  Bonus for the guys:  she's on the beach, and there is cleavage.  Well, insomuch as she has boobs, which isn't much.  Today's Adriene distraction:  "butterfly in the sand!"

I speak for all males in this thread when I state...  we like boobs of all sizes...  and cleavage of boobs of all sizes...

• Like 4
  • Laughing 1
24 minutes ago, krista4 said:

i rarely look at the screen.   it's day 30!  and 16   :pickle: 

Edited by DA RAIDERS

Without Bostonfred’s daily updates, it took me a while to figure out what day of yoga we’re on.  Today’s Day 15 16.  I did it.  Who else did it?  Starting to feel lonely in this.

I actually did the side planks today.  Briefly.  Not the entire time.  But I did them.  And much better than the first go round.  So that was good.  I also notice I’m getting stretchier in the bend over positions, like I’m able to straighten my knees more and more and still touch the ground.  I’m basically a yoga expert I figure. 

Weird thing happened this morning too.  I had been weight in at 236/237 for the past couple weeks.  Weighed in at 233 and change this morning :unsure:

Progress......

Edited by Otis
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, Otis said:

Without Bostonfred’s daily updates, it took me a while to figure out what day of yoga we’re on.  Today’s Day 15.  I did it.  Who else did it?  Starting to feel lonely in this.

I actually did the side planks today.  Briefly.  Not the entire time.  But I did them.  And much better than the first go round.  So that was good.  I also notice I’m getting stretchier in the bend over positions, like I’m able to straighten my knees more and more and still touch the ground.  I’m basically a yoga expert I figure. 

Weird thing happened this morning too.  I had been weight in at 236/237 for the past couple weeks.  Weighed in at 233 and change this morning :unsure:

Progress......

GB, you've missed one along the way.  Today should be Day 16 for everyone.

39 minutes ago, krista4 said:

GB, you've missed one along the way.  Today should be Day 16 for everyone.

My bad, I’m confused.  Yes I did 16 today.  It was easy breezy and mostly easy except for the side planks.  Yesterday was the hellish moon day.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Otis said:

My bad, I’m confused.  Yes I did 16 today.  It was easy breezy and mostly easy except for the side planks.  Yesterday was the hellish moon day.

We haven't had side planks in a while on the advanced one.  I kinda miss them.  :kicksrock: 

40 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

She invites one to do whatever one wants at the end of each session......

What i want to do at the end of each session is get on with my day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
5 hours ago, krista4 said:

What i want to do at the end of each session is get on with my day.

I will do side planks tomorrow/today, at the end of the next session.   And it matters not!, if they magically show up in the regular session.  Both sides, for 5 deep, full breaths. I will Lift the leg if i can/want to.  I challenge you to do the same. :wub:

I'm not gonna know what to do with myself tomorrow.  Initial 30 days is over.  So, 2 a days are over.  My push up challenge is over.  I’m going to have to find something else to start.  I’m going to tweak the push ups, into something else diabolical.  I’m quite proud of the 3000 pushups, in 30 days. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Two hundred pushups a day? (I'm in if you are.)

maybe.  they get tedious.  i was considering seeing how many i can do in one shot, maintaining form.  and then adding 1-5 a day, until i can knock out 100 in one shot.  pretty sure i can do 60-70 right now.  i'm going to give the muscle group a break today.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

maybe.  they get tedious.  i was considering seeing how many i can do in one shot, maintaining form.  and then adding 1-5 a day, until i can knock out 100 in one shot.  pretty sure i can do 60-70 right now.  i'm going to give the muscle group a break today.

They do, which is one reason I do them every 2-3 days. Although I did extended rest last week - upper body was begging for a day off so I just did legs and core. I've been on 4 sets of 40 for a while, but am going to try to stretch it out to sets of 45 today then see how long I can take it.

• Like 2

did ok on vacation but i need to get back to the good daily routine so i started off with a 100 minute walk where i jogged a bunch it is funny after not jogging for a number of years my legs just dont do what they are supposed to do very easily especially my left leg it sort of gets drop footy and i have to really work on making it raise up and set down but its coming along and i am so happy about that i dont even know what to say working to full on run again is about the best thing ever for me right now take that to the bank brohans 

• Like 3
On 4/12/2017 at 1:36 PM, DA RAIDERS said:

my next goal is do yoga regularly.  2, 3 times a week.  we'll see.  i've resisted it like a mofo, but know it's the next step in my goal to be healthier.

all the :wub: to @bostonfred for getting the yoga train started.  i've been wanting to yoga regularly for years.  seriously bfred, mad, bro love to you!  and thanks to everybody else as well!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

By the way, do we have a strength training thread around here? I have a lot of stupid thoughts on the subject that I may want to write down. I don't know if there's a separate thread for that or if I should just use this one.

Forgot to post about advanced Day 17, which was 22 minutes of core workout.  Seemed like it went very quickly, even though some parts were challenging.  There was a bit where you are in plank and then drop your right hip to the ground, then your left, etc., and that part felt very difficult for me.  She seemed to make up a new pose on her own today that she called "flamingo dog."  :) 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

By the way, do we have a strength training thread around here? I have a lot of stupid thoughts on the subject that I may want to write down. I don't know if there's a separate thread for that or if I should just use this one.

don't know of another one.  go for it.

• Thanks 1

Yoga Day 17 completed today.  Longer one, a few tough moves, but got it done.  Skipped rowing today. 

I’ll actually be out of town a few days now, so may just pause on this until Sunday and pick up where I left off.  It’ll otherwise be pretty annoying with me doing yoga in a hotel room with my kids running around while we’re traveling.  But we’ll see. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yoga Day 17 completed today.  Longer one, a few tough moves, but got it done.  Skipped rowing today. 

I’ll actually be out of town a few days now, so may just pause on this until Sunday and pick up where I left off.  It’ll otherwise be pretty annoying with me doing yoga in a hotel room with my kids running around while we’re traveling.  But we’ll see. 

do it!  maybe, with them.  have fun with it

• Like 1

My body handled the vacation and is handling the aftermath much better than before. My conclusion is that real-world walking is superior to the treadmill. This has implications for my gym membership, though it isn't that expensive.

Having said that, I'm still a fat tub of goo, so we get back to work on Saturday.  I will probably start the 30 days with agony Adriene on Sunday, so that Day 6 will be on the next Friday for maximum comedic effect.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Otis said:

This is a hurdle. If you want new you to sustain then you need to figure out a way to clear it. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:
3 hours ago, Otis said:

This is a hurdle. If you want new you to sustain then you need to figure out a way to clear it. 

Oats, you have more challenges than I did with the kids and stuff, but I did both my 30-day plank workouts (twice) and my first 30-day yoga during time periods when I was on business and pleasure trips.  Ahhhhh, I remember when I got to have those.  Anyway, it's totally doable if you can just throw the kids out for a little bit.  Do it!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Oats, you have more challenges than I did with the kids and stuff, but I did both my 30-day plank workouts (twice) and my first 30-day yoga during time periods when I was on business and pleasure trips.  Ahhhhh, I remember when I got to have those.  Anyway, it's totally doable if you can just throw the kids out for a little bit.  Do it!

Oh man.  If there were a button or something....

• Like 1

:blackdot:

Came in here looking for some new ideas, so looks like a good place to start for those.

Quick summary:

Pre-Covid, had back to back trips to Jamaica and Florida planned. Topping out in upper 180s, decided to do something about that. Combo of diet (watch what I eat and finally follow doctor's advice not to eat after 8 (pseudo intermittent fasting, as I only typically make 12 hours; was as much for blood sugar as anything)) and exercise (daily 30 minute minimum walk and 100 push up program).

Dropped to upper 160s-low 170s range from that. Pushups becoming a drag, so need to find something new to maintain momentum.

Alternative is to drop my Covid habit of nightly cocktails (try to be low cal; vodka/seltzer a staple), but rather put in the work for some enjoyment.

If there is a "summary" page of options, appreciate being pointed there! Happy to join the quest!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Otis said:

DO NOT DO THIS.

It can be annoying but get it done.  You're a ##### if you don't.  YWIA, YIC.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

I have been as gung ho as almost anyone here. I skipped two days og yoga over the weekend and missed some running. I immediately regret it. 

I'm almost caught up on the yoga, but even after taking a day off from work today, i didn't do my pushups and missed my run again tonight,. The good news is i blew past my 10k steps taking my kid out, and the extra day off from pushups is part of the program and should help as i do my first 100 pushup day.  But after all I've done so many days this whole quarantine, i don't want to undo it because i hit a mildly rough patch.  It's hard though.  I want to backslide.  

@Otis you don't need to do yoga with the kids. You can find 20 minutes on a trip to bring your iPad into the other room and get some exercise. That's not a big ask for Mrs O or the kids. You might think you can regain the momentum when you come back and maybe that's true this time but think about how much better off you would be on Monday if you weren't trying to regain your momentum, but were proud of yourself for maintaining that momentum instead. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I have been as gung ho as almost anyone here. I skipped two days og yoga over the weekend and missed some running. I immediately regret it. 

I'm almost caught up on the yoga, but even after taking a day off from work today, i didn't do my pushups and missed my run again tonight,. The good news is i blew past my 10k steps taking my kid out, and the extra day off from pushups is part of the program and should help as i do my first 100 pushup day.  But after all I've done so many days this whole quarantine, i don't want to undo it because i hit a mildly rough patch.  It's hard though.  I want to backslide.  

@Otis you don't need to do yoga with the kids. You can find 20 minutes on a trip to bring your iPad into the other room and get some exercise. That's not a big ask for Mrs O or the kids. You might think you can regain the momentum when you come back and maybe that's true this time but think about how much better off you would be on Monday if you weren't trying to regain your momentum, but were proud of yourself for maintaining that momentum instead. 

Yeah, I’ll do what I can.  That started with this morning — got up at 4:45 and fit in both the Day 18 and Day 19 sessions before everyone woke up.  Just will need to find a way to either sneak off and try and do yoga in the corner of the hotel room, or I can double up Sunday afternoon when we get back and I’ll be right on track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yeah, I’ll do what I can.  That started with this morning — got up at 4:45 and fit in both the Day 18 and Day 19 sessions before everyone woke up.  Just will need to find a way to either sneak off and try and do yoga in the corner of the hotel room, or I can double up Sunday afternoon when we get back and I’ll be right on track.

Doing the yoga with orphan Annie May be tough in a hotel room with the family.  Do 5 minutes of pushups and air squats a few times a day instead.  Start each day by getting up and go for a brisk 20 minute walk.   

Most importantly, watch the food and booze intake.   You and I share this struggle.  No booze and no excessive food through the weekend?   Im in.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Doing the yoga with orphan Annie May be tough in a hotel room with the family.  Do 5 minutes of pushups and air squats a few times a day instead.  Start each day by getting up and go for a brisk 20 minute walk.   

Most importantly, watch the food and booze intake.   You and I share this struggle.  No booze and no excessive food through the weekend?   Im in.  

I’m on vacation... not sure i can promise on the booze and food front... though I expect it will be moderate just based on where we will be and what we’ll have access to.

As for exercise, we have some hikes planned as well, so I should get some natural exercise anyway.  

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for not holding up my end of the deal in here, I've had a horrible go of it for the past many weeks and don't want to deep dive and take away from what is always a powerful and pretty positive thread with some funny Otis/Boston Fred back and forth. 

-WFH with Mrs 24/7 locked at the hip just got to be too much in Month 4 and honestly it was getting a little touch n go prior. I overlooked and shelved a lot of it and focused solely on my son and my health...eventually I succumbed to things being pushed at me or on to me from several different directions and I started drinking heavy or had days where I normally have 1-2 beers and that became 4-5 with lunch and add a couple margaritas on top in the afternoon for kicks. Hard to run/cycle or play decent tennis when you are drunk/buzzed by 10am.

No pity, please. Some folks in here got real problems, mine are all choices I make if I am being honest. Better choices, better results, better mentally, better spiritually. 

I thought it best to remove myself for a couple weeks, not just in this thread but I wasn't posting much at all. I haven't been in the SP in 3-4 months, have no interest in the upcoming FF stuff etc...just not feeling it right now. Depression is a ##### sometimes. It all starts in what I eat and drink. I need a 3-Day/1 Week moratorium on booze but it's very hard right now. The Mrs has seen her alcohol consumption skyrocket as well, we're enjoying getting drunk at 2 in the afternoon because she doesn't have any more meetings the rest of the day...PARTY! While we can...

I sometimes pretend like I am above some fo these posts where folks are complaining that they can't stop eating/drinking whatever the vice is...I'm telling you I know exactly how you feel right now. 

I'll start logging my exercise and meditation sessions again. When I keep track I usually do much better. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for not holding up my end of the deal in here, I've had a horrible go of it for the past many weeks and don't want to deep dive and take away from what is always a powerful and pretty positive thread with some funny Otis/Boston Fred back and forth. 

-WFH with Mrs 24/7 locked at the hip just got to be too much in Month 4 and honestly it was getting a little touch n go prior. I overlooked and shelved a lot of it and focused solely on my son and my health...eventually I succumbed to things being pushed at me or on to me from several different directions and I started drinking heavy or had days where I normally have 1-2 beers and that became 4-5 with lunch and add a couple margaritas on top in the afternoon for kicks. Hard to run/cycle or play decent tennis when you are drunk/buzzed by 10am.

No pity, please. Some folks in here got real problems, mine are all choices I make if I am being honest. Better choices, better results, better mentally, better spiritually. 

I thought it best to remove myself for a couple weeks, not just in this thread but I wasn't posting much at all. I haven't been in the SP in 3-4 months, have no interest in the upcoming FF stuff etc...just not feeling it right now. Depression is a ##### sometimes. It all starts in what I eat and drink. I need a 3-Day/1 Week moratorium on booze but it's very hard right now. The Mrs has seen her alcohol consumption skyrocket as well, we're enjoying getting drunk at 2 in the afternoon because she doesn't have any more meetings the rest of the day...PARTY! While we can...

I sometimes pretend like I am above some fo these posts where folks are complaining that they can't stop eating/drinking whatever the vice is...I'm telling you I know exactly how you feel right now. 

I'll start logging my exercise and meditation sessions again. When I keep track I usually do much better. 

Get out there and exercise, buddy.  That helps.  Try the Yoga stuff we’re doing in this thread.  Really feels good physically and mentally.  As much as I loathe it.

Oats 

• Like 2

Day 18 advance yoga was Yoga for Psoas.  I thought that was a typo or an acronym she made up, but now I've googled and see that it is a muscle group.  Who knew, other than probably everyone but me?  It was another easy-ish one, 22 minutes and with more one-legged pigeon, which I love!  

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Day 28 advance yoga was Yoga for Psoas.  I thought that was a typo or an acronym she made up, but now I've googled and see that it is a muscle group.  Who knew, other than probably everyone but me?  It was another easy-ish one, 22 minutes and with more one-legged pigeon, which I love!  

I originally read it as Yoga for Psoriasis so you are ahead of me.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Day 28 advance yoga was Yoga for Psoas.  I thought that was a typo or an acronym she made up, but now I've googled and see that it is a muscle group.  Who knew, other than probably everyone but me?  It was another easy-ish one, 22 minutes and with more one-legged pigeon, which I love!  

It's like the taint between your back and butt.  As a handy mnemonic device, if you've got a so' ###, it's probably your psoas. 

• Laughing 3

I have to do Day 17 and 18 today.  And then I'm going to do a strength workout at night.  I'm also going on vacation for the next week but still planning to keep up with yoga (although we're staying in an Air BnB so should be plenty of space)

• Like 2

Big day on hundredpushups.com, my first 100 puship day. Successfully did 20, 25, 15 and 15, but my final set i just didn't have anything left in the tank and stopped at 15. Will repeat this day next time after some rest. Frustration but it helps to remember I'm doing this for myself not because some website says i have to. And while i was looking forward to my first 100 pushup day, I  did 90 today, after only doing 80 Monday. This is undoubtedly progress.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Did one last double up on yoga and I'm caught up. Doing extra planks and downdogs after doing pushups to exhaustion was my mistake but I found myself blaming her until she said she was engorged instead of engaging her core and then heyo'ed in case anyone had missed it. How can i stay mad at you andrea. You had me at engorged. You had me at engorged. 

Getting on the treadmill now to hopefully knock out a couple good miles before my kid gets home from Grammys, then a light dinner of two scrambled eggs, cauliflower, broccoli and brown rice with kikkoman sweet soy sauce for rice to get myself back on track before the weekend. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Otis said:

Get out there and exercise, buddy.  That helps.  Try the Yoga stuff we’re doing in this thread.  Really feels good physically and mentally.  As much as I loathe it.

Oats 

👍 

After my "Legends League(Tennis)" was rained/lightning out I got a break around my house near Sunset and decided to take off on a 3 mile run. Managed to finish 3.25 in about 35-40 Minutes, felt really good to turn my clothes into those rags you buy that you wet to stay cool...yeah my clothes look like that after 10 minutes and by the end you can see every ounce of tummy fat on me, even black just sticks to me like a manatee floating thru the Jupiter Inlet. 

-It felt good to run off some of that crap I've been eating and drinking. I might jump up in the morning and go again, at least take the bike out for a spin. Sat is Morn Tennis, Sunday will be a run/bike combo, beach outing likely, yeah I need to get back in the swing of it. 

I feel so calm after a good hard run and my system immediately responds in good ways.  

Cheers!

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Did one last double up on yoga and I'm caught up. Doing extra planks and downdogs after doing pushups to exhaustion was my mistake but I found myself blaming her until she said she was engorged instead of engaging her core and then heyo'ed in case anyone had missed it. How can i stay mad at you andrea. You had me at engorged. You had me at engorged

Getting on the treadmill now to hopefully knock out a couple good miles before my kid gets home from Grammys, then a light dinner of two scrambled eggs, cauliflower, broccoli and brown rice with kikkoman sweet soy sauce for rice to get myself back on track before the weekend. 

You're sure you weren't thinking of the word impale? I can use it in a sentence if you like.