What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

So, starting January 1, I’m going to get healthy.  I’m going to start exercising again — likely rowing is my preference, although I enjoyed the yoga and how it made me feel, and would like to work that back in, along with push-ups.  I would also like to maybe work in some walks outside.  And I’m going to start eating healthy and moderating my alcohol intake.  Fred’s and others’ advice would be to just do something like MFP and count calories, which I’ll consider.  Otherwise I can consider some kind of fad diet — this is the place for that, after all — or just some kind of balanced diet.  
I am not usually one to recommend a fad diet but you should check out CICO it sounds like it would be perfect for you.  

Good to have you back GB. Place wasn't the same without you.

Anyway, that’s where we are.  It’s not pretty.  It’s so very 2005-2020. 
Just figured I'd fix a relevant portion of your post. 

Hopefully one day you finally decide to prioritize your health.  You owe your family that, if not for yourself.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Haven’t checked in for a bit.  I wanted to drop to 195 in 2020 and was close at 197 at Halloween.  Unfortunately, I typically gain at least 5 pounds every year over the Holidays.   It starts with Halloween candy and continues with sweets until they are gone in early January.   I barely ate any Halloween candy and was still at 197 at Thanksgiving.  

I caught Covid two weeks ago and am still down 4 pounds.  I am the lightest I have been in a long time.  Yippee for me!   I also quit working out of course and feel like a lazy bum.   

I still have a little cough and cannot taste or smell which makes eating rather unenjoyable.   My goal is to start the new year at 195 and to stay there while getting back into shape.    Im not crushing it but I am also not going to waste my unexpected weight loss or lack of taste buds.   I am usually pretty healthy but I am going to do better by eating healthier and doing cardio work a few times every week.    

Last edited by a moderator:
oats it is good as hell to have you back in here and i think your lesson should be one for all that when you do not have access to the otis diet thread and the seven or eight personal trainers in here it all goes to hell so bam good on you bromigos for helping us all toe the line take that to the bank 

Welcome back Otis.   Glad you and the family are well.  Enjoy the hell out of the holidays and then try to get healthier at your own pace in January.   Make a small change to your diet to drop a little weight.  

Welp.  Hi everyone.  

During my extended timeout I basically did nothing healthy.  I haven’t worked out in what must be a couple months now.  I sleep in until 6:30 or 7 most days, which is a far cry from my prior 4:45 am wake ups to go to the gym.  It’s too cold out to really get amped up about going for walks, and in any event I’m seated at my desk in my attic usually from 8:30am - 7pm jumping from stupid fire to stupid fire to Teams call to Teams call, and like a goalie in front of the net batting away rapid fire e-mails all day.  And of course, bad habit begets bad habit, as we know, and so I’ve basically been eating and drinking whatever the hell I want.  There have been multiple nights that involve pizza, ice cream, and plenty of wine.  Rinse, repeat.  So yeah, I’m probably in a worse spot in terms of habits than I’ve been in a long time. 
No way!

@Otis - I think what you need is some serious cash on the line.  Venmo $10k to me and I'll hold it for you until you drop 20 pounds.  Every month that goes by where you don't hit your goal, I send $500 to charity.  WALA.

@Otis    Have you ever considered a workout program?  My exercise routine used to entail going on the treadmill 3-4 days a week for 30 -40 minutes per day.  That was it.  So boring.  Then Covid hit and I was forced to stop going to the gym.  My wife introduced me to the Les Mills program and now I work out to a variety of different exercise routines daily.  And it's fun.  It provides access to so many different types of workouts (yoga, body combat, weight, dance, bike, etc; most which require 0 equipment) for all ages (my kids do some of the born to move stuff) and all fitness levels.  

Not trying to push Les Mills itself but there are tons of different online workout programs that may help break up some of the monotony of rowing every day.  My wife and I exercise daily now and the variety keeps us motivated.  We've both seen very positive results since doing it.  

Welp.  Hi everyone.  

During my extended timeout I basically did nothing healthy.  I haven’t worked out in what must be a couple months now.  
Let Freedom Ring! He's Back!!!

We got a trampoline, you should buy one immediately. It's way more fun than rowing and after a drink you will just flat pass out even with three needy children and a Mrs equipped with a long laundry list of stuff for you to do. Dad of the Year awards will be passed your way, buy one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
guys i almost died in february walked right up and stood on the edge and all i could feel when i was there was anger at and disappointment in myself for lying to myself and saying i would start eating right tomorrow or stop drinking so much tomorrow or start working out better tomorrow and i knew right there that  it was all total bs basically i spent a decade after some medical procedures that took away my ability to run and jump feeling sorry for myself using that as my excuse and feeding myself both figuratively and literally food that only increased my cholesterol and raised my blood pressure so my singular point of holiday advice would be dont wait and dont set a date that will never come just look around you at the ones you love and think about all the first holy communions first times riding a bike saide hawkins and proms and graduations and grandkids hugging you and retirement trips with your lady that you will miss if it goes sideways and decide right the hell now as in literally while you are reading this that you are going to get on it and then clean it up it will be hard as hell for a few months but own it enjoy the pain and fight through it and walk up to the refrigerator and open it and resist and walk away and get through it little by little pound by pound and blood chemistry number by number and then after a while you will find your slot and then it will be second nature just do it for the ones you love and give that gift to your family and friends for christmas take that to the bank bromigos 

Let Freedom Ring! He's Back!!!

We got a trampoline, you should buy one immediately. It's way more fun than rowing and after a drink you will just flat pass out even with three needy children and a Mrs equipped with a long laundry list of stuff for you to do. Dad of the Year awards will be passed your way, buy one. 
We bought the kids a huge trampoline for the backyard this year.  We all love it and you definitely burn calories.

Would you consider either?  My level of discipline is probably on par with yours but the structured workout program has really helped.  
I’m sorry good buddy. This is mean. I’m being sarcastic.

I’ve done lots of workout programs that worked great for periods of time. Same for diets. I’m like the philharmonic orchestra except like one day the oboes are world class but everyone else sucks; the next day the cello is YoYo Ma but the oboes are crap; the next day the guy on triangle is lighting it up. Every now and then when the tides are right we even put together a full song that sounds pretty damn impressive. Just never been able to put it all together for any extended period of time. 

I’m sorry good buddy. This is mean. I’m being sarcastic.

I’ve done lots of workout programs that worked great for periods of time. Same for diets. I’m like the philharmonic orchestra except like one day the oboes are world class but everyone else sucks; the next day the cello is YoYo Ma but the oboes are crap; the next day the guy on triangle is lighting it up. Every now and then when the tides are right we even put together a full song that sounds pretty damn impressive. Just never been able to put it all together for any extended period of time. 
Welcome back my friend. I’m in for some accountability starting 1/1.

You can start January 4th and also not blow it up between now and then. Sunday withstanding I'm clean eating each day til evening. Looks like this storm may limit exercise, but if that happens I'll mix in some 2-a-days after. 

Good point on a January 4th start.  I’m in.  

@eaganwildcats, would love to do a rowing program along with you again, if you’re game.  My erg is dusty, and my body needs it.  I’m going to start hitting the alarm again, 5:30am perhaps to try and get it done before the youngest’s usual wake up time of 6:30 (5am may be safer actually, just can’t have this get messed up).

Regarding diet, I’m considering the potato hack again.  Felt amazing on that thing, dropped a bunch of weight.  And given that I have 1000% control over what I eat right now — I’m stuck here in my house all the time — there’s really nothing standing in the way of my whipping up various DELICIOUS potato dishes.  The other leading candidate is this “CICO” fad I hear Fred talking about, which sounds eerily similar to “just eat healthy and sensibly and burn more calories than you consume.”   :yawn:

I'm in for a Jan 4th start. 

I've been slacking for a while. I started 2020 at 236 and got as low as 198 on 11/11.  I haven't weighed in a while but I'd guess I'm up a few lbs.  I've been eating relatively well, but not tracking anything.  Still been walking around 30 mins a day almost every day, but I've been drinking every night and I can tell it's caught up to me.  

When I start I also need to lay off the booze.  I may go a full 60 days no alcohol. 

I'm thinking I will do a combination of yoga, nerdfitness workouts, walking, and tracking calories on MFP.  Tentative plan is walking everyday for 30ish minutes (dog insists), yoga and nerdfitness workouts on alternating days and taking one weekend day of mostly rest (still the walk, because of dog).

I only managed three laps around my complex yesterday. A combination of holiday concerns, weather and a bipolar friend are going to wreck my total volume of exercise this week. But nothing is in the way of a furious stomp around the neighborhood at lunch today, so that's what will happen.

I’m in starting Jan 4th as well.  Gotta focus on cutting back the drinking.
There are threads dedicated to alcohol but let me tell you I have failed miserably at controlling my drinking this holiday season. I know it's bad when my wife is starting to take the lead on happy hour, many times not even leaving the house. We saw the Mexican Cantina with great street style tacos has happy hour starting at 11am...who needs rules like 3-6 or 4-7, happy hour ALL DAY!

Point being I am definitely wanting an end point and a new start point. Fred did us all a service by getting a lot of us to exercise thru the holidays and at least not pack on some of the numbers that others across America have done. 

You can start January 4th and also not blow it up between now and then. Sunday withstanding I'm clean eating each day til evening. Looks like this storm may limit exercise, but if that happens I'll mix in some 2-a-days after. 
You are way ahead right now, good for you. I was doing well post Turkey Day up until the endless nonstop Christmas Parties, Christmas Cocktails, Christmas happy hours started.

@eaganwildcats, would love to do a rowing program along with you again, if you’re game.  My erg is dusty, and my body needs it.  I’m going to start hitting the alarm again, 5:30am perhaps to try and get it done before the youngest’s usual wake up time of 6:30 (5am may be safer actually, just can’t have this get messed up).

Regarding diet, I’m considering the potato hack again.  Felt amazing on that thing, dropped a bunch of weight.  And given that I have 1000% control over what I eat right now — I’m stuck here in my house all the time — there’s really nothing standing in the way of my whipping up various DELICIOUS potato dishes.  The other leading candidate is this “CICO” fad I hear Fred talking about, which sounds eerily similar to “just eat healthy and sensibly and burn more calories than you consume.”   :yawn:
Lol you're like a #######.cartoon sometimes but like a Calvin and Hobbes not a family circus. 

Otis said:

I’m in for a rowing challenge.  Got a water rower about 2 months ago and doing that almost exclusively.  Love going out to the garage and putting something on Netflix and rowing 30-60m.  I haven’t picked up a weight or done a push up in 3+ months but just doing steady state on the rower has me feeling so much stronger.

count me in!

Alex P Keaton said:
Do you change the scenery virtually each day so that you feel like you are actually seeing Salem OR on the horizon now?
This would have been a great idea.  But I just look at the same garage walls and listen to a podcast.  Except wait, I moved yesterday so now have a different garage wall to look at!!

It was 47 and breezy today, but the sun was out, and I blazed around at an 18:55 pace. Until I got back to my complex, where shooting pains developed in my left foot. Really need to back off a hair, I'm not training for a f'n Olympic racewalk.

Have gotten my 10k masked run under 49 minutes. Mask running has improved better than I expected. Looking forward to running mask less and seeing what this reformed fat man is capable of.

My advice for those trying to lose weight:

Be unemployed(covid) and be newly single. Time and motivation is a fantastic combo.

25/30

25/31

865/930

did tomorrow’s yoda and pushups today.  Day 25 is no joke. I enjoyed it. Crushed me some crow. 💪

Merry everything, to everyone 

Santa brought me a kettlebell gryp. It's a kettlebell handle with a clip on the bottom that attaches to any standard dumbbell.  We've got plenty of dumbells and it makes zero sense to go buy a bunch of new weights so this is a brilliant little invention. I've never really tried kettlebells if anyone has advice before I permanently injure myself 

Santa brought me a kettlebell gryp. It's a kettlebell handle with a clip on the bottom that attaches to any standard dumbbell.  We've got plenty of dumbells and it makes zero sense to go buy a bunch of new weights so this is a brilliant little invention. I've never really tried kettlebells if anyone has advice before I permanently injure myself 
Go light. Focus on form. Use your legs and keep your back straight. If you’re still a member at lifetime, they have some good classes on their app. 

Users who are viewing this thread