What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (11 Viewers)

I'm guessing there is no booze allowed on this potato diet, right?
It's not really a question of what's allowed or what's not allowed. You're allowed to make up your own rules, which means that everything is allowed if you say it is.

It's really a question of what will best help achieve your goals, and whether departures from the optimum are worthwhile for other reasons.

The drawbacks of booze are that it's got a lot of calories, it's not filling, it's easy for some people to overconsume, and it may reduce your inhibitions about cheating in other ways, such as ordering a pizza. But it won't magically destroy all your progress forever. It's just booze. If you find it worth the cost, drink some, enjoy it, and then move on.

Others have asked about ketchup and similar condiments. Again, it won't magically destroy all your progress. The main drawback of ketchup is that it tastes good, which encourages you to eat more potatoes with ketchup than you would have eaten without ketchup, and it also doesn't let the inherent blandness of nothing-but-potatoes go to work removing cravings for sweets. For some people, the benefits will outweigh the costs.

Oil is worse than ketchup. Not only does it make the potatoes taste better, but it's also very calorie dense. Again, though, a little oil is just a little, so it's not impossible for a little oil to be worth the cost if it helps you eat potatoes instead of ice cream. (If you use a lot of oil, ice cream may be the better choice.)

And so on. It's your eating plan. Everything's allowed. You're in charge. Just be mindful of the consequences of departing from the potato-only mantra, and do it only if it's worthwhile.

I'm not disputing you can lose weight eating only potatoes, we can throw that part of the conversation out.

Do you enjoy eating? For me, food is a top 5 pleasure in life, if I'm betting, I'd say that is more the norm than the outlier. Would you agree with this?

My position is simple, if someone hasn't adjusted to normal eating habits, they're more likely to revert back to old habits when they end their fad diet, whether it be potatoes, twinkies, snickers bars, etc. By going potato only, you haven't solved the problem that got you into a position of being overweight, you've found a temporary fix, unless of course you're prepared to eat only potatoes until you die. That sounds more like an awful punishment to me than an eating solution.

I'd love to understand why a potato diet is more beneficial than a healthy diet of proteins/veggies/fruits/etc.? Wouldn't you agree this would be more sustainable? Why would someone want to deprive themself of food except potatoes? People enjoy eating. Do you think eating only potatoes forever is an enjoyable way to live? Otis goes out with some friends and eats only potatoes, good shtick, everyone laughs. 6 months later nobody is laughing, they just think he's a lunatic.
@Maurile Tremblay

I'm as big a calories out > calories in, eating healthy, and exercise proponent as anyone on this board.  However, if this spud diet helps to kick people off to a lifestyle of the aforementioned, then I'm 100% TeamSpud.  We all have to start somewhere since we "can't finish what we never begin" (Yoda - jk)

My position is simple, if someone hasn't adjusted to normal eating habits, they're more likely to revert back to old habits when they end their fad diet, whether it be potatoes, twinkies, snickers bars, etc. By going potato only, you haven't solved the problem that got you into a position of being overweight, you've found a temporary fix, unless of course you're prepared to eat only potatoes until you die.

You're missing one of the main points of the potato diet -- that it's one of the best ways to help people with disordered eating habits regain normal eating habits and avoid reverting back to old habits. Going potato-only for a while is one of the best ways to solve the problem that got people into the position of being overweight. (The explanation has been given a few times in this thread. If you want it again, watch this talk and realize that the same thing he says about water-only fasting is also true of the potato-only diet, and for the same basic reason.)

You may disagree with this in theory because it doesn't fit the way you think the universe ought to work. But it actually is pretty darn effective for a lot of people in practice. When empirical results differ from your preferred theory, it's not the empirical results that should be disregarded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone done the microwave potato chips yet? Seems like a no-brainer.  Let's you snack but still stay on the diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMkU-c4tW4

Apologies for the vampire host. No calorie cooking spray should be ok, right?

I've done it without any spray. I even got this special silicon thing with super-thin mandolin slicer for it. It works. It makes chips, and they're not bad at all. (The super-thin mandolin slicer is key -- if the chips are too thick and not uniform, it's hard to get them crispy.) But I used it only once or twice before shelving it because it's actually quite a bit of work. Making one potato's worth of chips takes a while to do the slicing, drying, and microwaving. And personally, I'm quite happy just eating regular potatoes regardless of whether they're crispy. So when I microwave potatoes, I pretty much always go for this instead of the silicon thing. It makes microwaving potatoes very easy.

(I generally use the oven rather than a microwave. But when I'm just going to cook one or two potatoes instead of a whole bunch, the microwave becomes my favored choice.)

I guess that's my point, if a person is not committed to changing what they eat permanently - why bother?
This is supposed to help with that.  If you read the book, and you think about the diet, what you realize is that this diet is a way to reprogram the way you think about food and to break addictions to some of the garbage in the standard American diet.  I've seen how it works first hand.  

This was not a new phenomenon for me.  I recall being a fat dude in college (beer and pizza and max bench press) and then at age 22 just getting motivated.  I lost 40+ lbs in half a year and felt better than ever.  I did that by basically breaking the habits and once I did, I started to view food just as sustenance, not a joy, or a thing of boredom, etc.  I didn't need to eat or drink anymore, other than when I was really hungry (and even then, it didn't take much to fill me up).  It was a different relationship with food altogether.

Fast forward almost two decades and I'd fallen back into the pit again.  But I've seen how the potato diet can help to break the cycle again.  Yes, I still want a beer or a cookie every now and again in the last two weeks (actually, in the first week I didn't want any at all; this week I have some limited craving).  But now when I have a beer or a cookie, like last night, it's A beer and A cookie.  Not a box or a bag.  

There's no reason this can't be a bridge to a long term lifestyle change.  I now feel confident I can go to a restaurant and skip the bread, order a piece of salmon instead of a huge steak, eat the salmon with the sauce and garbage on the side, and have one drink or two, not nine or ten.

I'm not even two weeks deep, so this is all pretty limited.  We'll see where I am in a month and 6 months.  But the point is, I can see how this can be a bridge to a lifestyle change, and not just a temporary fix.

This is supposed to help with that.  If you read the book, and you think about the diet, what you realize is that this diet is a way to reprogram the way you think about food and to break addictions to some of the garbage in the standard American diet.  I've seen how it works first hand.  

This was not a new phenomenon for me.  I recall being a fat dude in college (beer and pizza and max bench press) and then at age 22 just getting motivated.  I lost 40+ lbs in half a year and felt better than ever.  I did that by basically breaking the habits and once I did, I started to view food just as sustenance, not a joy, or a thing of boredom, etc.  I didn't need to eat or drink anymore, other than when I was really hungry (and even then, it didn't take much to fill me up).  It was a different relationship with food altogether.

Fast forward almost two decades and I'd fallen back into the pit again.  But I've seen how the potato diet can help to break the cycle again.  Yes, I still want a beer or a cookie every now and again in the last two weeks (actually, in the first week I didn't want any at all; this week I have some limited craving).  But now when I have a beer or a cookie, like last night, it's A beer and A cookie.  Not a box or a bag.  

There's no reason this can't be a bridge to a long term lifestyle change.  I now feel confident I can go to a restaurant and skip the bread, order a piece of salmon instead of a huge steak, eat the salmon with the sauce and garbage on the side, and have one drink or two, not nine or ten.

I'm not even two weeks deep, so this is all pretty limited.  We'll see where I am in a month and 6 months.  But the point is, I can see how this can be a bridge to a lifestyle change, and not just a temporary fix.
So when will you admit that you have a drinking problem and not a food problem?

Nice to see that we've devolved into "attacking semantics/linguistics" stage of dissent.

Thankfully that stage is usually right before the "frustrated exit by the dissenting party" stage. 

To Maurile's point re: setting your own guidelines, it's a great point.  

This morning I heated up some baked potatoes in a skillet with a little water and salt, and poured in a splash of malt vinegar.  Not bad.  Lunch time and I had a business lunch at a restaurant downstairs.  I could be crazy about this to the point of people thinking I'm weird, or I could do as I did, which is order a piece of salmon with no sauce on a bed of spinach, and drink water.  Which was fine.  Will that set me back?  I doubt it.  It was probably good for me.  Tonight I'll go home and have potatoes again.

If it works,  :shrug:  

This morning I heated up some baked potatoes in a skillet with a little water and salt, and poured in a splash of malt vinegar.  Not bad.  Lunch time and I had a business lunch at a restaurant downstairs.  I could be crazy about this to the point of people thinking I'm weird, or I could do as I did, which is order a piece of salmon with no sauce on a bed of spinach, and drink water.  Which was fine.  Will that set me back?  I doubt it.  It was probably good for me.  Tonight I'll go home and have potatoes again.

You still on no/minimal booze?

Whats your target weight? I know you're hoping to break 220s but what is your current potato/dietary plan and goals over the next few weeks, GB? 

pretty sure you're ok with that lunch of salmon and spinach, guy. 

pretty sure you're ok with that lunch of salmon and spinach, guy. 
Generally speaking, I know, but if just for curiosity's sake I'd love to see what this diet will due with strict adherence over the span of a few weeks.  Just interesting, and this screws up the data a little.

I started the potato diet 9 days ago. I'm down bout 8lbs.

The biggest benefit of this is I'm retraining my gut to be plenty full on way less food. I eat a couple spuds for breakfast, full.  I eat some spuds with meat/veggies for lunch, same for dinner, full. I'm consuming  less food and calories per day now than I have in years. And I m not starving. And I feel good.  Also don't have a sweet tooth. Win/win/win.  I'll be 210 in no time.

Suck it AR :shock:

You'd think after all the entertaining and highly public Otis diet failures over the years, the fact that he's crushing it with this one would keep the haters at bay a bit... :lol:

Whats your target weight? I know you're hoping to break 220s but what is your current potato/dietary plan and goals over the next few weeks, GB? 

Daulton pretty much nailed it above.  I'd love to be 6'4", 200.  Best shape of my life was ~190, but I was 22 then, and I just don't think that would work well for me now.  But we'll see when I hit my goal, maybe I'll want to go lower.

Currently I'm targeting sub 210.  Haven't been there in probably 15 years+, and I think between 200 and 210 would be ideal for me.  I wouldn't be in six-pack land, but it should ultimately be enough to feel good about heading to the beach.  So really, if I can lose ~15 more lbs, I'd be ecstatic.  From there, who knows, I might well want to push down to 195 and see what happens.  

At this pace, seems to me I could theoretically get to the ~205 range -- only 17lbs away -- in 3 weeks or less.  Still June, just the start of summer.  If I were to continue on that pace, by August I could be in the best shape of my life (or at least lowest body fat).

We'll see.  

Daulton pretty much nailed it above.  I'd love to be 6'4", 200.  Best shape of my life was ~190, but I was 22 then, and I just don't think that would work well for me now.  But we'll see when I hit my goal, maybe I'll want to go lower.

Currently I'm targeting sub 210.  Haven't been there in probably 15 years+, and I think between 200 and 210 would be ideal for me.  I wouldn't be in six-pack land, but it should ultimately be enough to feel good about heading to the beach.  So really, if I can lose ~15 more lbs, I'd be ecstatic.  From there, who knows, I might well want to push down to 195 and see what happens.  

At this pace, seems to me I could theoretically get to the ~205 range -- only 17lbs away -- in 3 weeks or less.  Still June, just the start of summer.  If I were to continue on that pace, by August I could be in the best shape of my life (or at least lowest body fat).

We'll see.  
You and I are almost virtually the same size. 195 you'd look like skeletor.  Get to 200 and then do some heavy lifting.

Looking at starting this on Tuesday. Not because of Memorial Day, simply because I am doing a 7 day cleanse with the wife that ends on Monday. I will post height / weight details on Tuesday.

We'll see.  
I was 6-4, 215 back in 2001, would love to be back there again.  Could take my shirt off on European beaches without feeling like a fat American.  200 is my goal as well, but even 210 would be fantastic for me.

I was 6-4, 215 back in 2001, would love to be back there again.  Could take my shirt off on European beaches without feeling like a fat American.  200 is my goal as well, but even 210 would be fantastic for me.
We need a 6'4" thread.  :thumbup:

You guys want some more shirtless selfies?

Was just on imgur, my original has 300 views :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread