What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (12 Viewers)

Awesome, thanks.  Glad to hear it’s common and not too serious.

If it matters, I never warm up.  Probably stupid.  I sit down when I walk into I the gym and grab my max (the 90lb dumbells or whatever) and start cranking out sets of 3-6 reps.  Sounds like you think that may have something to do with it...

Just weird that I lifted for about a year without issue, and for some reason out of nowhere, not raising the weight or doing anything crazy, it starts to hurt. 

:shrug:  
No, you can't run from impingement.  It's a slow burn.  It's why people love the behind the neck press (at first) it gives you a targeted motion across attachment points to let you get a big shoulder peak, but it puts you in an impinging position.  Over time you simply break down your shoulder.

As much hate as Jeff gets for his schtick, he is the defining resource on shoulder health:

Discussing Bench Impingement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxmEJP6zCM

Rippetoe covers same topic, I fast forwarded to the part that is important here

https://youtu.be/4T9UQ4FBVXI?t=9m5s

Good technique focused external rotation video if you end up adding lots of external rotation stuff.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hIHwLsiq8

Shoulder warmup routine, I steal a combination of these two routines more or less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPm5dQ4_yhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENxC3bgAEs

Everyone who is anyone has an impingement video or two.  It's not rocket surgery, you have to warm up properly and train external rotation, and use good form pressing weight so you keep your shoulder out of impingement with heavy weight on it.

I'm not a doctor, clearly, but I mean if you hurt benching, and can do shrugs ok then I mean there is really just a limited amount of things you could be dealing with here and you should be able to rally relatively quickly for beach season.  (this is good)

You should warm up.  Do some cardio for 5-10 minutes and then warm up for your first exercise with some light weights.  Perform about 12 reps with really light weight.  Then use about 50% of your working weight for 8 reps, 60% for 6 reps, 80% for 4 reps and 90% for 1.   

Rotator cuff exercises two or three times a week should be part of your routine.   
totally agree here. I think this goes without saying and I would have made similar comments if I didn't read into it that you were willing to start a regular warmup protocol.  

Warmups done properly shouldn't take long, and if you stick with Layne's programs it is actually quite easy to warmup on the heavy compounds of the day first that lead into the rest of the work.  Doing other programs that are more full body to me take forever because I feel like I have to warm up so much more tissue.  That's why I threw in the towel so fast on some of the GZLP style workouts.  I ain't got time for all that.

I :heart:  the rowing machine for cardio to start out.  Even a 50 calorie row is plenty really.  And my rowing machines look straight at the back of the steppers, which can be good or bad.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28:  290 lbs
July 6:     277.4 lbs
July 10:   274.0 lbs
July 14:   270.0 lbs
July 19:   266.8 lbs
July 23:   261.7 lbs
Aug 1:     261.2 lbs
Aug 7:     254.6 lbs
Aug 13:   250.0 lbs
Aug 21:   244.8 lbs
Aug 30:   244.8 lbs
Sep 5:     244.0 lbs
Sep 11:   242.8 lbs
Sep 18:   237.0 lbs
Sep 25:   236.6 lbs
Oct 3:      235.8 lbs
Oct 17:    239.0 lbs
Oct 23:    236.6 lbs
Nov 3:     234.6 lbs
Nov 9:     230.8 lbs
Dec 1:     230.8 lbs
Dec 6:     227.2 lbs
Jan 2:      230.8 lbs
Jan 9:      228.8 lbs
Jan 15:    226.0 lbs
Jan 22:   224.8 lbs
Jan 31:   224.6 lbs
Feb 6:    223.8 lbs
Feb 12:  221.0 lbs
Feb 19:  217.0 lbs
Feb 26:  215.8 lbs
Mar 5:    214.2 lbs
Mar 12:  212.6 lbs
Mar 19:  207.8 lbs           Initial Goal of 208 lbs reached

Total weight loss:  82.2 lbs

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 208. Then maybe take a couple of weeks off from dieting and work on just maintaining while I enjoy a few treats I've had little or none of since June.

Very happy to finally get there. Though had a biking setback.  Back of my ankle, Achilles I'm guessing, got sore on my Saturday morning ride. Noticed my form was a problem, up on the balls of my feet a bit too much and fixing it didn't make it immediately better. So I stopped there and skipped my evening ride. Rode Sunday morning carefully and after extra stretching, but it starting getting sore again 8 miles in so I stopped.  I'm going to take a few days off from riding to rest it.

Thanks to everyone for all of the support. Will get with the trainer for another measurement, and then set myself a new goal after maintaining for a bit.

Well, at least I didn’t move backwards—seems I lost about two lbs during my trip. 4:45am and parked outside the gym waiting for it to open. 

Still deciding what I’ll do diet wise. Keto is a viable option. Potato hack is too, though that’s a real PIA. Last one is just eating sensibly, cutting out junk food, and limiting portions. Sounds totally boring. 

May try rocking Keto for a bit, I’ll see. 
Eat sensibly.  Reduce junk food, reduce portions, eat fewer carbs.  Find some things you can substitute that still satisfy and sate your hunger. 

If you don't take the time to look at calories, you might be amazed at just how many some things have. And how many times you could substitute something else you like as much for far fewer calories.

Finally reached my first goal of 208 lbs I'd set based on the trainer's body fat measurements.  Far from obese but I'm not exactly svelte either.  Will lose another pound or two so I'm firmly below 208. Then maybe take a couple of weeks off from dieting and work on just maintaining while I enjoy a few treats I've had little or none of since June.

Very happy to finally get there. Though had a biking setback.  Back of my ankle, Achilles I'm guessing, got sore on my Saturday morning ride. Noticed my form was a problem, up on the balls of my feet a bit too much and fixing it didn't make it immediately better. So I stopped there and skipped my evening ride. Rode Sunday morning carefully and after extra stretching, but it starting getting sore again 8 miles in so I stopped.  I'm going to take a few days off from riding to rest it.

Thanks to everyone for all of the support. Will get with the trainer for another measurement, and then set myself a new goal after maintaining for a bit.
That's amazing. Fantastic job.

How tall are you again?

Thanks guys, feels fantastic though I know I'm not fully done yet. 

I'm 5'11".  Frame is on the heavier side though, would have probably been a FB if I'd ever taken advantage of it and bulked up.
Gotcha. I'm probably the same build. My initial goal is 212, but I'd like to finish up around 190. 

Gotcha. I'm probably the same build. My initial goal is 212, but I'd like to finish up around 190. 
I think that's a pretty likely final destination for me too. Just mailed the trainer about doing another body fat test, will see how that goes. Imagining I'll shoot for 199 as a next goal when I start back up, but don't imagine that'll get me quite where I'd like yet.  

Awesome, thanks.  Glad to hear it’s common and not too serious.

If it matters, I never warm up.  Probably stupid.  I sit down when I walk into I the gym and grab my max (the 90lb dumbells or whatever) and start cranking out sets of 3-6 reps.  Sounds like you think that may have something to do with it...

Just weird that I lifted for about a year without issue, and for some reason out of nowhere, not raising the weight or doing anything crazy, it starts to hurt. 

:shrug:  
WTF? That sounds incredibly stupid. 

GregR said:

Amazing. Congrats. 

culdeus said:
No, you can't run from impingement.  It's a slow burn.  It's why people love the behind the neck press (at first) it gives you a targeted motion across attachment points to let you get a big shoulder peak, but it puts you in an impinging position.  Over time you simply break down your shoulder.

As much hate as Jeff gets for his schtick, he is the defining resource on shoulder health:

Discussing Bench Impingement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxmEJP6zCM

Rippetoe covers same topic, I fast forwarded to the part that is important here

https://youtu.be/4T9UQ4FBVXI?t=9m5s

Good technique focused external rotation video if you end up adding lots of external rotation stuff.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hIHwLsiq8

Shoulder warmup routine, I steal a combination of these two routines more or less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPm5dQ4_yhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENxC3bgAEs

Everyone who is anyone has an impingement video or two.  It's not rocket surgery, you have to warm up properly and train external rotation, and use good form pressing weight so you keep your shoulder out of impingement with heavy weight on it.

I'm not a doctor, clearly, but I mean if you hurt benching, and can do shrugs ok then I mean there is really just a limited amount of things you could be dealing with here and you should be able to rally relatively quickly for beach season.  (this is good)
Thanks, awesome. Yeah I can shrug just fine. It’s really just one oddball degree of movement somewhere deep in the ball of my shoulder that hurts, but unfortunately it hurts mostly just when I do bench and military presses. Slightly when I do lateral raises with dumbbells, but not really at all when I do front raises. 

Will check out these links. Thx again!

Well I'll be damned.  Read up on this some, and impingement is definitely what I've got.  Need to study up some more on how to treat it.  So far I've got stretch, take hot showers, take advil or tylenol. :shrug:  

Well I'll be damned.  Read up on this some, and impingement is definitely what I've got.  Need to study up some more on how to treat it.  So far I've got stretch, take hot showers, take advil or tylenol. :shrug:  
I went to physical therapy, and would recomend it.  My guy was great, worked me over to determine exactly where the impingment was, and gave me the exercises to target it exactly.  Once I was done, and back to normal, he gave me the wider list of exercises to keep the rotator cuff in good shape (which is likely everything you've found online).

Now, I did have a couple of additional issues on top of the impingment, so maybe it is not necessary.  But I have gone back without hesitation when I've had flare ups.

I went to physical therapy, and would recomend it.  My guy was great, worked me over to determine exactly where the impingment was, and gave me the exercises to target it exactly.  Once I was done, and back to normal, he gave me the wider list of exercises to keep the rotator cuff in good shape (which is likely everything you've found online).

Now, I did have a couple of additional issues on top of the impingment, so maybe it is not necessary.  But I have gone back without hesitation when I've had flare ups.
Jesus.  I can’t believe I’m getting that old.

I think I’m going to try some online guidance first and see where I can get with doing some exercises and stretching for it.  If it persists and I’m unable to get healthy, I may have to do this.  But damnit if I have to ....

Jesus.  I can’t believe I’m getting that old.

I think I’m going to try some online guidance first and see where I can get with doing some exercises and stretching for it.  If it persists and I’m unable to get healthy, I may have to do this.  But damnit if I have to ....
I went the first time before I was even 40.  I still don't know what I did, but I woke up with a huge knot in the back of my shoulder.  Turns out I had an impingment plus a disc issue in my neck.  I don't know if they were related, or one caused the other, but it was painful as heck.  He straightened me out back to normal.  Again, I don't know the exact cause but I chalk it up to my pitching days, not taking care of my shoulder in high school, then hurting it playing softball in my early 30s and not doing anything about it.  Who knows, but time gets us all eventually.

Man, this was a bad week.  Totally off the rails.  Took an ambulance trip with my one year old a couple of nights ago after she had a seizure, and have been rotating with my wife at the hospital for a couple days.  All hospital food and fast food and stress balled into one.  Ungood.

Most importantly, status quo -- the baby is home now and ok, and Otis is still fat.

Man, this was a bad week.  Totally off the rails.  Took an ambulance trip with my one year old a couple of nights ago after she had a seizure, and have been rotating with my wife at the hospital for a couple days.  All hospital food and fast food and stress balled into one.  Ungood.

Most importantly, status quo -- the baby is home now and ok, and Otis is still fat.
Scary stuff, glad she's ok.

I was wondering why the vending machine was empty at the hospital.

All kidding aside, hope everything is ok.  That's some pretty scary stuff.

Glad she's doing better GB.

Glad she’s doing ok GB.

Glad your daughter is ok, now, brother.

My now 14-year old had a seizure when she was 2 or 3.  Scary as hell, but apparently not that uncommon as their brains and nervous systems are getting wired up.  She's never had another one, hope your experience is the same.

Now back to watching BnB lose a quarter of his body weight in a couple of weeks, just because he can.

Glad all is well.

Now do her a favor and don't return the favor by letting your eating habits/drinking put you in the hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28:  290 lbs
July 6:     277.4 lbs
July 10:   274.0 lbs
July 14:   270.0 lbs
July 19:   266.8 lbs
July 23:   261.7 lbs
Aug 1:     261.2 lbs
Aug 7:     254.6 lbs
Aug 13:   250.0 lbs
Aug 21:   244.8 lbs
Aug 30:   244.8 lbs
Sep 5:     244.0 lbs
Sep 11:   242.8 lbs
Sep 18:   237.0 lbs
Sep 25:   236.6 lbs
Oct 3:      235.8 lbs
Oct 17:    239.0 lbs
Oct 23:    236.6 lbs
Nov 3:     234.6 lbs
Nov 9:     230.8 lbs
Dec 1:     230.8 lbs
Dec 6:     227.2 lbs
Jan 2:      230.8 lbs
Jan 9:      228.8 lbs
Jan 15:    226.0 lbs
Jan 22:   224.8 lbs
Jan 31:   224.6 lbs
Feb 6:    223.8 lbs
Feb 12:  221.0 lbs
Feb 19:  217.0 lbs
Feb 26:  215.8 lbs
Mar 5:    214.2 lbs
Mar 12:  212.6 lbs
Mar 19:  207.8 lbs           Initial Goal of 208 lbs reached
Apr 3:     208.2 lbs

Total weight loss:  81.8 lbs
Been just maintaining after hitting my goal.  Up and down, back to where I started, so all good. Even better, did it without the exercise bike's help. Ankle/achilles was getting sore a few miles into riding. Ended up resting it the 2 weeks, but was back on the bike Saturday finally without issues. 

Going to probably go through the end of the week just maintaining. Then get back on the diet seriously again and head towards 199.  Probably 190 after that and then see where I'm at.

Slow and steady, i guess. 18 lbs since we started. Feel better. Knee pain and back feel better. Able to touch my toes and not grunt like an 80-year-old when i put on my shoes. Intermittent fasting, no sugar, tons of water, increased daily activities, less fat, less starchy crap. That’s it. Feels so anticlimactic.

Jesus. Getting owned.  

Im trapped around 233.  Business travel and stress and family stuff has been constant. But finally home tonight, so maybe I can turn it around. 

Been just maintaining after hitting my goal.  Up and down, back to where I started, so all good. Even better, did it without the exercise bike's help. Ankle/achilles was getting sore a few miles into riding. Ended up resting it the 2 weeks, but was back on the bike Saturday finally without issues. 

Going to probably go through the end of the week just maintaining. Then get back on the diet seriously again and head towards 199.  Probably 190 after that and then see where I'm at.
I need to see you get below 200.    I need this Greg.  Do it for me.   

Trying to clear up some digestive issues that have been hitting me hard.  

Gonna run a month no booze, grains, dairy, or sugar. 

I'll keep beans limited, and will be pretty potato heavy to keep calories up.  Goal isn't really to cut weight but to figure out what's been screwing with my digestion.  Fairly close to whole 30 I guess, but won't be like freaking out if I get 2g of added sugar or something.

Trying to clear up some digestive issues that have been hitting me hard.  

Gonna run a month no booze, grains, dairy, or sugar. 

I'll keep beans limited, and will be pretty potato heavy to keep calories up.  Goal isn't really to cut weight but to figure out what's been screwing with my digestion.  Fairly close to whole 30 I guess, but won't be like freaking out if I get 2g of added sugar or something.
Not so bad except for the no dairy thing.  Didn't realize how many meals I lean on dairy.

Users who are viewing this thread