What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

Rowtis Stats

Jan 21 Row: 10k MAF (47:437; avg. HR 126; 568 cals)

January total: 147,017m

Nice easy 10k row this morning. Slow and steady.  I noticed the calories burned from these workouts are coming down a bit as I take it easier. May start trying to do more full one hour rows as opposed to 10k.   Though who am I kidding, if I row a 10k every day, I should be just fine. 

Rowtis Stats

Jan 21 Row: 10k MAF (47:437; avg. HR 126; 568 cals)

January total: 147,017m

Nice easy 10k row this morning. Slow and steady.  I noticed the calories burned from these workouts are coming down a bit as I take it easier. May start trying to do more full one hour rows as opposed to 10k.   Though who am I kidding, if I row a 10k every day, I should be just fine. 
Just curious on a couple things:

Does your HR climb or spike at all during these easy rows? If so, do you slow down and keep it below the max?

Do you find yourself hungry or tired after these easy MAF rows?

01/14/20 - 133.7 (-0.6)
01/21/20 - 133/BMI 20.2 (-0.7)

YTD total lost ~ -1.3

Goal between 125 - 130 by March 1.  

HIIT 3x a week and Weights 3 x a week.  I’ve noticed that through muscle memory I have been able to quickly re-build muscle/tone.  Now I want my clothes to fit comfortably!

Just curious on a couple things:

Does your HR climb or spike at all during these easy rows? If so, do you slow down and keep it below the max?

Do you find yourself hungry or tired after these easy MAF rows?
Take a look at Strava, there is really no HR climb at a steady cadence on any of his rows.  Not knowing his max HR I don't how hard he is working, but it seems like he is under control and could row longer if he had to.  I don't know anything about rowing, but it seems like what @Otis is doing is sustainable. Keep up the good work.

Solidly back under 200. 185, here I come! Also 9 days in a row for the @belljr push-up challenge. Although, only increased by 1 this week. If I'm going to add 2 a week, seems "right" to do an even number every day. 15 per day last week, 16 this week, 18 next... 

Need to add some daily sit-ups and/or planking, imo.

Take a look at Strava, there is really no HR climb at a steady cadence on any of his rows.  Not knowing his max HR I don't how hard he is working, but it seems like he is under control and could row longer if he had to.  I don't know anything about rowing, but it seems like what @Otis is doing is sustainable. Keep up the good work.
I'm an idiot. Never thought to look at the analysis same as runs. Yeah, that HR looks perfect. Would be cool to see if he can get the leg numbness under control and knock out a long row.

Would be curious how much he's sweating with these aerobic rows and amount of hunger/fatigue afterward. 

Agree he's doing great work.

Yeah, good questions.

No, my HR isn’t really spiking on these easy rows like today.  Every now and then I do a sprint just to get the time up and get my HR moving back up, because it otherwise can stay a bit low when I’m rowing that pace.  This is since I really started settling in to MAF and actually watching the news while I row instead of music; when I’m listening to music it seems I tend to push a bit harder, and that’s where my HR would spike like crazy at random points.  (At which point yes, I would slow down and focus on my breathing to get my HR back in line). 

Still, it feels like I’m getting a solid workout because I’m drenched in sweat when I’m done.  And yes, I could absolutely go longer in terms of cardio and muscles — the limiting factor for me on these distance rows has been my rear hurting and my left leg falling asleep.  If I can crack that code, I’d like to give a half marathon a shot some time soon.  I bought two new different seat pads coming in this week, figured I could give it a try.  I’ve already tried one seat cushion and replaced the seat.  I will continue to do some more extended stretching for the longer rows, it may be that helps.  I should probably do some more reading on the Concept2 boards, because as I understand it’s a pretty common issue.  I also wonder if I keep doing this and drop another 10 or 15lbs, will that perhaps be less weight on my rear and leaning on my nerves, and maybe that’ll help solve it.  Who knows.

No, I’m not wildly hungry or tired.  I’m not a morning eater, and usually on weekdays don’t eat until dinner.  That said, since I started rowing I do find I’m hungry in the middle of the day, and work hasn’t been crazy, so I’ve been going to grab a salad to eat at my desk for lunch.  But I still don’t usually eat before then.  And in terms of energy, I’m not really tired any more than usual.  If anything, coupling this exercise with much better sleep and no alcohol, and I think I generally have more energy.

I'm an idiot. Never thought to look at the analysis same as runs. Yeah, that HR looks perfect. Would be cool to see if he can get the leg numbness under control and knock out a long row.

Would be curious how much he's sweating with these aerobic rows and amount of hunger/fatigue afterward. 

Agree he's doing great work.
Yeah, tons of sweat.  My shirt is drenched at the end of these.  And yeah, I need to solve this numbness thing.  Driving me nuts.

Yeah, tons of sweat.  My shirt is drenched at the end of these.  And yeah, I need to solve this numbness thing.  Driving me nuts.
Cool.

Now that I realized you can see the HR too, just looked at your recent 5K PR. Your average HR was still only 141 and you only maxed out at 157. That's awesome. If you go back and look at some of your initial rows, you were near 160 for most of the end of those initial rows.  That's significant progress.

Looks like rowing is a perfect fit for you. Great workout both cardio and resistance, previous experience with it, you seem to enjoy it, and you have carrots to chase ( @eaganwildcats , PRs, longer distances). That's a recipe for continued success. Can't wait until you get the itch to actually get out and row IRL this summer, join some fancy and ridiculously expensive NYC rowing club and start doing races on the Hudson.

Cool.

Now that I realized you can see the HR too, just looked at your recent 5K PR. Your average HR was still only 141 and you only maxed out at 157. That's awesome. If you go back and look at some of your initial rows, you were near 160 for most of the end of those initial rows.  That's significant progress.

Looks like rowing is a perfect fit for you. Great workout both cardio and resistance, previous experience with it, you seem to enjoy it, and you have carrots to chase ( @eaganwildcats , PRs, longer distances). That's a recipe for continued success. Can't wait until you get the itch to actually get out and row IRL this summer, join some fancy and ridiculously expensive NYC rowing club and start doing races on the Hudson.
Someday I am going to have the gumption to head over to the Potomac to give actual rowing a try. 

Cool.

@Otis - just as an FYI, @gianmarco keeps detailed HR logs on everyone in the Strava group.  If he sees that you are headed in the wrong direction, he sends you really mean and hurtful DM's. 

So far, so good for you...just be prepared if you start slacking.

Someday I am going to have the gumption to head over to the Potomac to give actual rowing a try. 
That’s awesome.  It’s been 20+ years since I rowed on the Potomac, or rowed on the water at all.  Fond memories.  I’ve considered looking for a NY rowing club, but honestly it just seems like a huge PIA and time suck that my life won’t afford.  Maybe one day.  

Go get em, report back. 

Weighed in yesterday and down a total of 15lbs from start. My initial goal was 25lbs but think I am going to push that up to 35 lbs as according to internet BMI stuff I am still overweight with taking off 25 lbs. 

Diet part going pretty well but I will say I am happiest with my on going work outs and conditioning as I have been on the Peloton 4 days a week and the other three days doing “leg blasters” for like 20 minutes to get legs into sking shape.  

01/05/20 - 207
01/14/20 - 199.8
01/21/20 - 197.6

Today's weigh in was a little surprising because I went off the rails 2 nights with drinking.  One weekday dinner with friends which was going to included only two glasses of wine.  Then someone suggested we go to a pub afterwards (that was a bad choice).  The other night was a weekend night out with friends and I was supposed to be the DD but I succumbed to the peer pressure and we used Uber instead.  But the silver lining is both days I was good with the diet throughout the day and the all important day after drinking was good too.

I stayed around 1800 calories each day (except for the two days mentioned) and totaled 74K steps for the week.

1/21/20 - 192

Blech!  Not unusual to gain some weight during football season and the holidays.  However, a string of injuries have curtailed activity and its time to right the ship.

Goal: 170 by April Fools Day.  That's about 1/3 pound a day...  Hoping to get back to a mix of weights and cardio.  Can usually get to a respectable workout level barring injury.

Trying to choose a diet plan.  Been successful with low carb.  Looking for ideas and advice.

Went to the gym for the first time this year.  Did a 300 calorie elliptical in 27 mins then a few upper body lifts, then back to work in the afternoon.  Can't get too sweaty so I need to keep the HR down when I go during lunch.

I can really only hit the gym 1x, maybe 2x per week.  Better than nothing I guess.

Rowtis Stats

Jan 22 Row: 10k MAF (48:35; avg. HR 131; 632 cals)

January total: 157,017m

Had to get up towards the end and switch seat cushions, leg was numb. Took the opportunity to drop and do some push ups. It dawns on me that, if one were to incorporate push ups into rowing, you’d have the absolute ultimate complete body workout. That would have to be like 90%+ the human musculature, maybe more.  Maybe a new interval workout that involves jumping off the erg every 2000m or so for some push-ups?  Would also solve the problem of getting some blood back into the legs. Oh and you’d look like an action figure. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to the gym for the first time this year.  Did a 300 calorie elliptical in 27 mins then a few upper body lifts, then back to work in the afternoon.  Can't get too sweaty so I need to keep the HR down when I go during lunch.

I can really only hit the gym 1x, maybe 2x per week.  Better than nothing I guess.
Why?

1/21/20 - 192

Blech!  Not unusual to gain some weight during football season and the holidays.  However, a string of injuries have curtailed activity and its time to right the ship.

Goal: 170 by April Fools Day.  That's about 1/3 pound a day...  Hoping to get back to a mix of weights and cardio.  Can usually get to a respectable workout level barring injury.

Trying to choose a diet plan.  Been successful with low carb.  Looking for ideas and advice.
I recommend exercising and eating well. 
/newOtis 

Rowtis Stats

Jan 22 Row: 10k MAF (48:35; avg. HR 131; 632 cals)

January total: 157,017m

Had to get up towards the end and switch seat cushions, leg was numb. Took the opportunity to drop and do some push ups. It dawns on me that, if one were to incorporate push ups into rowing, you’d have the absolute ultimate complete body workout. That would have to be like 90%+ the human musculature, maybe more.  Maybe a new interval workout that involves jumping off the erg every 2000m or so for some push-ups?  Would also solve the problem of getting some blood back into the legs. Oh and you’d look like an action figure. 
If you rub one out at the very end, that's 100%.

what's up peeps?  dec/jan update?  been a while.

went about as far off the rails in dec as i could.  only had 5 days off, all month.  including xmas.  ate and drank everything.  didn't work out. in  january. i went skiing for  8 days.  again, eating and drinking everything.  there's a f'ing vueve cliquot yurt on the mountain!  luckily, i ski like a madman.  every day, drenched in sweat.  zero weight gain, through those 6 weeks.   :pickle:  

back at it now.  worked out with a trainer today, which is always fun.  and hella hard!  my new goal, is to finally crack that 180 mark.  i want the scale start with 17.  it's only 5 pounds, but it's been elusive.  sober february should help, which i may start now.

good luck to all, and LET"S GO!!!!

what's up peeps?  dec/jan update?  been a while.

went about as far off the rails in dec as i could.  only had 5 days off, all month.  including xmas.  ate and drank everything.  didn't work out. in  january. i went skiing for  8 days.  again, eating and drinking everything.  there's a f'ing vueve cliquot yurt on the mountain!  luckily, i ski like a madman.  every day, drenched in sweat.  zero weight gain, through those 6 weeks.   :pickle:  

back at it now.  worked out with a trainer today, which is always fun.  and hella hard!  my new goal, is to finally crack that 180 mark.  i want the scale start with 17.  it's only 5 pounds, but it's been elusive.  sober february should help, which i may start now.

good luck to all, and LET"S GO!!!!
What do you do for off season ski training?  Unfortunately, I ski about 10 times a year broken up by 1 long week and a few day trips (wish I had time for more). Every year I seem a bit more sore during my big week and for example this year think I will only get in two days before my week trip.  I have been pushing training really hard this year with lots of time on the bike for cardio and leg training program.  Hope it works but if you have any experience  would love to hear them.

What do you do for off season ski training?  Unfortunately, I ski about 10 times a year broken up by 1 long week and a few day trips (wish I had time for more). Every year I seem a bit more sore during my big week and for example this year think I will only get in two days before my week trip.  I have been pushing training really hard this year with lots of time on the bike for cardio and leg training program.  Hope it works but if you have any experience  would love to hear them.
I work out a lot. 15 or so days/month.  I always do some ski centric exercises, no matter the workout.   Lots of single leg stuff. Stairs. Versa climber. Ski machine. Step ups. Sissy squats. AB work. Cardio of course.  Saw a cool exercise I’m going to try.  Exercise ball pinned against the wall, with your leg raised, at about 45 degrees. Do a single leg squat with the other leg, keeping the ball in place. 

I’ve gotten much stronger over the last few years. I ski about 30 days a year. Just keep at it. 

/newOtis 
30 minute elliptical with 5 minute cool down.  Just over 6K steps; 397 calories; peak heart rate 157 - which is pretty close to "max".  Felt like I probably pushed it too much.

About 800 calories yesterday and 1,100 today... which is too low.  Under 20 net carbs.  Felt really crappy evening of day one, which seems early for side effects.  Not sure I'll stick with low carb.   I could lose two pounds a week at 1,500 calories a day.

30 minute elliptical with 5 minute cool down.  Just over 6K steps; 397 calories; peak heart rate 157 - which is pretty close to "max".  Felt like I probably pushed it too much.

About 800 calories yesterday and 1,100 today... which is too low.  Under 20 net carbs.  Felt really crappy evening of day one, which seems early for side effects.  Not sure I'll stick with low carb.   I could lose two pounds a week at 1,500 calories a day.
Starvation diet will only get you so far. Your body will kick into starvation mode and make it harder to lose weight. It's also not sustainable. And it makes exercising incredibly difficult if not harmful as your body needs fuel to do that.

/newOtis 
Really looking for feed back on the diet side, specifically low carb...  Eating well can be subjective...  Some avoid fats; others welcome it.

As for your numbness, I like thinly padded shorts on a bicycle.  I suppose one could try bike shorts on a rower.  Another "experiment" would be a small, folded towel to provide a cushion?  Maybe have someone at the gym watch your technique?  I small adjustment can go a long way.

Starvation diet will only get you so far. Your body will kick into starvation mode and make it harder to lose weight. It's also not sustainable. And it makes exercising incredibly difficult if not harmful as your body needs fuel to do that.
Just really impatient and feeling crappy.  Wouldn't mind losing a couple pounds just to make the pants fit better.  I don't expect to stay there...

What calorie level would you suggest given my basal metabolic rate is ~1720 and ~2,450 calories would "maintain" my target weight of 170?  

Somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000?

Just really impatient and feeling crappy.  Wouldn't mind losing a couple pounds just to make the pants fit better.  I don't expect to stay there...

What calorie level would you suggest given my basal metabolic rate is ~1720 and ~2,450 calories would "maintain" my target weight of 170?  

Somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000?
You can't limit calories AND start exercising. 

You have to either limit calories to lose weight and then start exercising or you need to take in more to fuel your body. 

If you're feeling crappy, eat more. If you want it to stick, which you should, think long term. The ultimate goal should be getting healthier. Weight loss will be secondary and will come as you accomplish the main goal. 

Look at @Otis. Finally stopped the nonsense diets. He simply cut out excess garbage and started exercising regularly. Pounds are subsequently coming off. You don't need pants to fit next week. You need them to fit next year. Or better yet, need to buy new ones. 

My 3yo is a massive PIA these days, has just been destroying our sanity and driving my wife and I nuts. She woke up at 5 when I was trying to change to work out; had to then keep her in check while my wife slept. First time she’s totally killed a workout. Frustrating. Maybe if I get home early tonight. Or maybe it’ll just have to be a rest day.  ####### kids can be a real PIA, this phase is awful. Sigh. 

Related: going for a consult next week to get snipped. Just chop it off. We’re good. 
I’ve been wanting to do this and we only have one. Literally can’t even imagine 3 (which I think is how many you have - my notebook may not be great). Life happens though - missing because of a kid waking up <> missing because one was just too lazy.

In positive news, the posts make it sound like you look forward to the workout which is awesome - I’ve never been one to actively look forward to exercise but have been looking forward to my rows recently. 

My 3yo is a massive PIA these days, has just been destroying our sanity and driving my wife and I nuts. She woke up at 5 when I was trying to change to work out; had to then keep her in check while my wife slept. First time she’s totally killed a workout. Frustrating. Maybe if I get home early tonight. Or maybe it’ll just have to be a rest day.  ####### kids can be a real PIA, this phase is awful. Sigh. 
It gets better. Just think of the weddings!!

Get the wife to watch her tonight while you knock out even half hour rowing since you did your part letting her sleep ;)

Users who are viewing this thread