What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (17 Viewers)

I’ve noticed my face and neck look so much thinner and better, which is awesome. It obviously has gone from there and other places first; still have the love handles and extra on my stomach, and I guess that’s the last place I’ll lose it. Hopefully sooner than later....
Just got my license renewed a few months ago after moving. Compared my picture from 4 years ago. I look like a got stung by 100 bees when comparing the size of my neck and face.

still dealing with stupid, minor injuries....so, i did yoga again today.   this might actually force myself into one of my goals.  do yoga at least twice a week.  i really liked today's class. :D  

keep at it people!

I’ve lost at least 4-5 lbs in the past few weeks.  Problem is I don’t really want to dip much further.  I’m exercising a lot, eating healthy, cutting out snacks, still boozing and losing weight.  How do I do all this and keep my weight steady?

I’ve lost at least 4-5 lbs in the past few weeks.  Problem is I don’t really want to dip much further.  I’m exercising a lot, eating healthy, cutting out snacks, still boozing and losing weight.  How do I do all this and keep my weight steady?
Desserts, candy, and bread.  You can eat all the stuff you weren't allowed to before and maintain if you keep exercising.

Otis said:
"Guys I'm exercising too much and really struggling to keep weight on.  Whatever do I do?????"
Well I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but I guess you’re just going to have to eat lots of pizza and reams of Oreos. GL

fred_1_15301 said:
You could try eating nothing but potatoes for a few days, breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Then throw back two bottles of wine a night with your wife, plus a two cheeseburger value meal with a 20 piece mcnugget on the side followed by some cheese. Finish with some cookies.  

fred_1_15301 said:
Toss in a casein shake before bed with maybe some peanut butter and whatever fluid of choice.   300-400 cals or so.  Slowing down 1 pound a week is not that much.   

I’m 5’7 and now weigh around 147.  I would like to be at 155 at least.   :shrug:  
Not to be alarmist, but did you recently start making these changes (exercise, diet changes, etc.)? 

If you are at or below ideal weight and taking in enough calories and haven't made many changes recently, it might be worth checking in with your doctor and make sure nothing else is going on. Unintended weight loss can be a symptom of other things. 

Just my $.02

Not to be alarmist, but did you recently start making these changes (exercise, diet changes, etc.)? 

If you are at or below ideal weight and taking in enough calories and haven't made many changes recently, it might be worth checking in with your doctor and make sure nothing else is going on. Unintended weight loss can be a symptom of other things. 

Just my $.02
I don’t think I’m taking in enough calories.  I’ve been around 160 most of my life.  155 is my ideal.  Since starting this health kick, I just don’t eat much anymore.  Couple that with intense exercising and here is where I am.  

I don’t think I’m taking in enough calories.  I’ve been around 160 most of my life.  155 is my ideal.  Since starting this health kick, I just don’t eat much anymore.  Couple that with intense exercising and here is where I am.  
Then you need to up the calorie density of your food. i.e eat more bacon!

I think protein is your answer.  Protein shakes, grilled chicken breast or hard boiled eggs as a snack, and just make sure you eat more often to keep your strength up between workouts. 

When I was gaining weight and making Zomg gainzzz in the gym, I was having a protein and creatine shake every morning after I worked out. It’s amazing how that stuff works. My strength was off the charts higher than ever in the past, and I was recovering fast. Oh and putting on weight.  The zero carb whey proteins are great — get the chocolate flavor, throw in some banana, spinach, almond butter, almond milk, ice, and blend, and it’s fantastic. 

Checked the scale this morning and just crossed to under 190 (at 189.5).  Total weight loss since right after Thanksgiving just over 20 lbs so going great.  Have another 5lbs to initial goal and 15 lbs to new goal I moved to like 2 weeks ago.  Official weigh in day is on Monday but had a big dinner last night and a couple glass of wines so was worried about results but rest of week had paid off! 

Will be buying a new belt tomorrow. Have moved down two holes to the last one and still feel like my pants are falling down. May buy new pants tomorrow too. Also picked up an XL shirt last week when I haven’t bought anything other than 2X in a long time. 

Probably down about 20 pounds since Dec 1 but am not getting on the scale regularly so don’t know exactly and I prefer it that way. Don’t want to obsess over the number. I feel better than I have in years. Still exercising outside regularly. Even in the weather that is Seattle. Actually look forward to getting out there now. 

Will be buying a new belt tomorrow. Have moved down two holes to the last one and still feel like my pants are falling down. May buy new pants tomorrow too. Also picked up an XL shirt last week when I haven’t bought anything other than 2X in a long time. 

Probably down about 20 pounds since Dec 1 but am not getting on the scale regularly so don’t know exactly and I prefer it that way. Don’t want to obsess over the number. I feel better than I have in years. Still exercising outside regularly. Even in the weather that is Seattle. Actually look forward to getting out there now. 
Awesome. Congrats on your progress, don’t let up! 

This may be the year we all actually crack this nut. 

When I was gaining weight and making Zomg gainzzz in the gym, I was having a protein and creatine shake every morning after I worked out. It’s amazing how that stuff works. My strength was off the charts higher than ever in the past, and I was recovering fast. Oh and putting on weight.  The zero carb whey proteins are great — get the chocolate flavor, throw in some banana, spinach, almond butter, almond milk, ice, and blend, and it’s fantastic. 
I’ve gone a different direction and am basically conceding the weight loss to you.  Four protein meals a day including creatine. Weight has gone up with fat percentage holding steady.  In six weeks I’ve gone from a 215 max bench to 225 x 6 reps.  Goal is to get up to 315 max. Trying to eat healthy but focusing on 4 protein meals of at least 25 grams. I had been struggling in the gym for several years until I started fueling properly again. 

Anyway, congrats on the great strides you’ve made Otis 

Bad day yesterday, but not really. Lemme esplain. 

Mrs. O finally hit with the stomach bug, harder than the rest of us. That left single dad Oats to tend to three kids, basketball, birthday parties etc for 48 hours. Turns out, taking care of the kids is hard work. Newfound appreciation for all Mrs O. does as a SAHM. But it left me no opportunity to row, and worse, left me feeling all around run down and beat up. Pizza and McDonald’s were ordered—I ain’t no fancy cookin type—and I have both. And some sweets. I was also driven to drink, although at least that’s the one place I held strong, and just had two Bud Select 55s (despite the urge for something stronger).  If anything I’m just bummed I wasted a weekend Day, because I was have lived to do an extra long row or even a two a day yesterday.  Just wasn’t in the cards.

So, a bad day.  But of course that’s ok because I will have indulgence days like that going forward.  This isn’t about a crash diet or race to a certain weight. It’s living what will be my new normal lifestyle—which will include random days like that, and pushing forward.  Mrs. O is back in the saddle this morning, so I’ll get in a good row today, and eat some healthy stuff to kick the week off right. Gonna have a good week ahead, and then off to Puerto Rico with the fam. 

Mrs. O finally hit with the stomach bug, harder than the rest of us. That left single dad Oats to tend to three kids, basketball, birthday parties etc for 48 hours. Turns out, taking care of the kids is hard work. Newfound appreciation for all Mrs O. does as a SAHM. But it left me no opportunity to row, and worse, left me feeling all around run down and beat up. Pizza and McDonald’s were ordered—I ain’t no fancy cookin type—and I have both. And some sweets. I was also driven to drink, although at least that’s the one place I held strong, and just had two Bud Select 55s (despite the urge for something stronger).  If anything I’m just bummed I wasted a weekend Day, because I was have lived to do an extra long row or even a two a day yesterday.  Just wasn’t in the cards.

So, a bad day.  But of course that’s ok because I will have indulgence days like that going forward.  This isn’t about a crash diet or race to a certain weight. It’s living what will be my new normal lifestyle—which will include random days like that, and pushing forward.  Mrs. O is back in the saddle this morning, so I’ll get in a good row today, and eat some healthy stuff to kick the week off right. Gonna have a good week ahead, and then off to Puerto Rico with the fam. 
All you can do is get back on the horse.   Yesterday was not a good day for me either thanks to an all day b ball tournament.  No workout.  Arby’s for lunch.  A glass of bourbon, 3 tacos from Taco Bell, and a handful of cookies for dinner.   

Today will be a much better day.   

Yesterday wasn’t a good day for me either.  Visiting my brothers place with the kids so no opportunity to exercise and of course ordered Wegmans pizza for dinner.  It happens.  It’s part of life.   :shrug:  

Back on the horse: start the day with some avocado toast On whole grain and a ~17k row In about an hour and twenty. My longest row yet. Suck it, fat!
Nice work. Did you get numb still? Are you able to row longer without getting numb? 

All you can do is get back on the horse.   Yesterday was not a good day for me either thanks to an all day b ball tournament.  No workout.  Arby’s for lunch.  A glass of bourbon, 3 tacos from Taco Bell, and a handful of cookies for dinner.   

Today will be a much better day.   
Taco bell tacos aren't that bad in calories if you don't load them with sour cream. It's the quesarito crap that's horrible.  3 tacos at 170 calories each is just 510 calories.  The sodium and fat aren't great but you can do worse.  

Arby's isn't necessarily bad either.  It's only 460 calories for the medium roast beef sandwich. It's the 560 for the medium fries that gets you in trouble.  

Bourbon is like 70 calories an ounce. Cookies are all over the map - a thin mint girl scout cookie is 40 calories, but a huge chocolate chunk cookie could be 500 plus. 

So depending exactly what you had  it's possible that you ended up around 2500 calories for the day - which is around maintenance calories - or even a little under. 

If you find it to be a huge treat to get fast food, and it didn't screw up your diet, you could easily get an egg mcmuffin, 3 tacos at taco bell and an arby's medium roast beef with no fries for about 1300 total.  Add a salad for snack, maybe some fruit, and a little bourbon, and you're still around 1800 calories for the day before exercise. I wouldn't do it every day but it's not that bad calorie wise. 

Taco bell tacos aren't that bad in calories if you don't load them with sour cream. It's the quesarito crap that's horrible.  3 tacos at 170 calories each is just 510 calories.  The sodium and fat aren't great but you can do worse.  

Arby's isn't necessarily bad either.  It's only 460 calories for the medium roast beef sandwich. It's the 560 for the medium fries that gets you in trouble.  

Bourbon is like 70 calories an ounce. Cookies are all over the map - a thin mint girl scout cookie is 40 calories, but a huge chocolate chunk cookie could be 500 plus. 

So depending exactly what you had  it's possible that you ended up around 2500 calories for the day - which is around maintenance calories - or even a little under. 

If you find it to be a huge treat to get fast food, and it didn't screw up your diet, you could easily get an egg mcmuffin, 3 tacos at taco bell and an arby's medium roast beef with no fries for about 1300 total.  Add a salad for snack, maybe some fruit, and a little bourbon, and you're still around 1800 calories for the day before exercise. I wouldn't do it every day but it's not that bad calorie wise. 
I hate Taco Bell.  It grosses me out and I haven’t had it for years so only eating 3 tacos was easy.  I had two Arby’s classics and no fries. I’m not a fan of greasy fries.    I don’t remember how many cookies I had but it wasn’t good.   I’m supposed to be at 2200 calories/day.  I was over.  

I don’t each much fast food since I don’t find it appealing.  But, the workout just ended so today is going to be positive.  Good luck all.  

Nice work. Did you get numb still? Are you able to row longer without getting numb? 
Still numb starting around 7k, but I seemed to “break through” the worst of it. When I start to numb every now and then I’ll lean more of my weight on my right cheek, seems to let the blood circulate back down my left leg and alleviate the numbness.  But once I hit over an hour, I hit a groove where honestly I could have gone another 30 mins, maybe another hour. Only thing that stopped me is I knew Mrs O and the family were waiting on me so we could get out for the day.  Maybe I can do another long one tomorrow because it feels great. 

Running after kids is more exercise that people realize

Did my "long" MAF run today. 4 miles, first 3 at 5.7mph, last one dwindled down to 5.1 as my heart rate crept up. Finished at 8mph for the last quarter mile and still had some left in the tank. Trusting the process more and more. 

Did my "long" MAF run today. 4 miles, first 3 at 5.7mph, last one dwindled down to 5.1 as my heart rate crept up. Finished at 8mph for the last quarter mile and still had some left in the tank. Trusting the process more and more. 
What HR range are you trying to stay within?

in MAF we trust. 

Otis said:
Thanks gb :hifive:  
It’s kind of amazing getting an extra 1,000+ calories.  You can do a lot with that and still make great weight loss progress  

Welcome back. 

Someday I will get the actually eating well thing down, but for now still feel way better after exercising so will call that good enough. 

Otis said:
What HR range are you trying to stay within?

in MAF we trust. 
180-44 years old = 136 target hr. 

I warm up at 3.5mph or faster walking.  I don't count that towards my running distance. By the end my heart rate usually goes from my resting pulse of 55-60 to somewhere in the 90s. 

Whether i start at 5mph or 5.7mph, my heart rate starts out around 120 to 125 for the first quarter to half a mile, goes up to 135ish by the end of the first mile, and starts to flirt with the high 130s soon thereafter.  I tried slowing down or speeding up in my first two weeks of doing this and 5.7mph seems to be the high end of my "slow running pace" so I go with that.  

Eventually my heart rate hits 140 and if it stays there (or goes up to 141 at all)  I'll slow down.  But I'll stay at 138 or 139 without worrying about it. If that's not technically MAF it's close enough for me. 

Today my first mile was all under 136, and my next two miles were both under 140, all at 5.7mph.  I didn't hit 141 until the end of mile 3, so I did mile 4 at 5.5, then 5.3, then 5.1mph and stayed at 5.1 until the final quarter mile, when i throw MAF out the window and just finish strong.  

I don't know if that's right but it's what I'm doing and it seems to  be working well so far.  

180-44 years old = 136 target hr. 

I warm up at 3.5mph or faster walking.  I don't count that towards my running distance. By the end my heart rate usually goes from my resting pulse of 55-60 to somewhere in the 90s. 

Whether i start at 5mph or 5.7mph, my heart rate starts out around 120 to 125 for the first quarter to half a mile, goes up to 135ish by the end of the first mile, and starts to flirt with the high 130s soon thereafter.  I tried slowing down or speeding up in my first two weeks of doing this and 5.7mph seems to be the high end of my "slow running pace" so I go with that.  

Eventually my heart rate hits 140 and if it stays there (or goes up to 141 at all)  I'll slow down.  But I'll stay at 138 or 139 without worrying about it. If that's not technically MAF it's close enough for me. 

Today my first mile was all under 136, and my next two miles were both under 140, all at 5.7mph.  I didn't hit 141 until the end of mile 3, so I did mile 4 at 5.5, then 5.3, then 5.1mph and stayed at 5.1 until the final quarter mile, when i throw MAF out the window and just finish strong.  

I don't know if that's right but it's what I'm doing and it seems to  be working well so far.  
We’re the same age, and I’ve been targeting 130s into the mid 140s. I think it’s close enough and feels right. Every now and then it creeps to 150 now and I have to slow down. (It used to creep to 160, and now it’s actually pretty hard for me to get it that high).

We’re the same age, and I’ve been targeting 130s into the mid 140s. I think it’s close enough and feels right. Every now and then it creeps to 150 now and I have to slow down. (It used to creep to 160, and now it’s actually pretty hard for me to get it that high).
150 is a big jump.  A really big jump.  

Our max heart rate is probably 186, give or take.  Pick any result from an internet search to calculate it - here's one.  https://post.greatist.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/05/Attachment-1.jpeg

80 percent of 186 is about 149. 70 percent is about 135. In other words, you're going up to 80 percent but MAF seems to want us at 70, and these are distinctly different heart rate "zones".

That doesn't mean MAF is "right", it just means that decades old research shows that training around 70 percent of your max is better than 80 or 90 for the goals he was working towards (improving cardio fitness, speed and endurance for runners).  I don't doubt there's also research that says that 80 percent is a good number too. 

Let’s get after it today, gang. It’s national pizza day,  but let’s swear off the pizza. 

Im actually thinking about doing a little 1-2 day mini fast here just to cleanse my body of some of the garbage from the weekend and hit the reset button. Got up and did a row, will see how I’m feeling later. 

Let’s do it.

ETA can’t fast today, just realized I have a work dinner tonight.  Good news is I booked the place, good seafood place. I can have a nice piece of fish and some veggies and maybe sparkling water.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s get after it today, gang. It’s national pizza day,  but let’s swear off the pizza. 

Im actually thinking about doing a little 1-2 day mini fast here just to cleanse my body of some of the garbage from the weekend and hit the reset button. Got up and did a row, will see how I’m feeling later. 

Let’s do it. 
National pizza day was yesterday, slim.

Users who are viewing this thread