What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

Great job to everyone doing the exercise challenge!  :clap:  I haven't done anything inside for 2 weeks, but I've been hard at work outside and my wife and I walk a lot. We left from our house yesterday and ended up going for a 6.6 mile walk. It's a nice loop/route that Im sure we'll do again. Im going to try adding more healthy foods into my diet this week. I dont really want to go much/any lower on the scale, but I would like to keep working on getting more fit. 

• 1/2 - 184.6 lbs
  • 1/9 - 179.8 lbs
  • 1/16  - 177.4 lbs
  • 1/23 - 176.0 lbs
  • 1/30 - 174.8 lbs
  • 2/6 - 172.4 lbs
  • 2/13 - 171.0 lbs
  • 2/20 - 169.6 lbs
  • 2/27 - 167.4 lbs
  • 3/5 - 167.4 lbs
  • 3/12 - 165.8 lbs
  • 3/19 - 163.0 lbs
  • 3/26 - 161.8 lbs
  • 4/2 - 159.2 lbs 

bostonfred said:
1000 minutes equals 40 minutes a day for 25 days.  

1500 equals 60x25.

1800 equals 60x30.

2000 equals 60x20 plus 80x10. 

As your captain of Team @Otis I'm going for 2000 minutes this month.  This includes Easter Sunday when Lent is over and I can drink again. LFG. 
I would like to be added to the list of folks or just join in. 

This might be a good time to share my Tennis Blow Out on Tuesday...group of 8 of us took two hard courts at a private Condo Club, two of tennis players live there so no problem as far as trespassing etc...anyways some turd from Pluto decided to attack us for lack of a better word. Cops already had driven by and checked us out and left us alone. When he started yelling at my Vietnam War Vet Partner and coming on to the actual court, I lost it and called the police myself...we have 3 lawyers in this group, bad group to try and dictate the law to. Long story short the Police did come out and they ordered the attacker back into his home and to stop worrying about what we were doing. They were very kind to us. But we have a lot of ex-military as well in this group, my brother serves for the V.A. in D.C. so we decided we are simply going to disband for the time being in honor of America, people are not going to leave us alone and that's kind of sad but I'm not here to debate public policy. 

I do want to commit to 45-60 minutes of exercise daily while I am off the courts. The Tennis Court IS NOT a gym, that's a hard concept for folks to grasp who play. Many times you can get a lot better by trimming or shedding weight off your frame and that is going to be my goal over the next 60-90 days, however long they take our Tennis away from us. I'll still probably sneak in some alone time on the court just serving a basket of balls by myself but I won't be playing any meaningful sets of tennis for a while. 

If it's not too late I would like to join in and I will encourage my wife as well to join me.

I actually got a head start on some of you about 10-14 days ago when the bars and restaurants were CLOSED down, I was around 215+, yesterday I weighed in at 207...I would love to get under 200 and then work my way to around 185-190, I'm about 6-3 so I should be leaner and I'm certainly not what they call big boned, was always a slim kid until I hit my 20s and ate all the sugar my parents would never let me have. 

We have had silly good weather here in South Florida, was 75 and breezy, felt like Hawaii, no humidity right now either. I can easily walk 45 int he morning and another 45 in the evening. But I will certainly aim for 1,000 first. I think you guys are awesome for zoning in on this. How awesome when you see your friends in 2-3 months and you have your health on track. 

There's just so much awful on that TV right now, as my wife just hands me a delicious bowl of oatmeal with fruit and maple syrup...LETS DO IT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work.  I just did 4 in 46 the other night while i was getting my legs back and 5 in 49 last night after a rest day so I think you, me and @fred_1_15301 are all relatively close in pace.  How many days a week are you running? 
I have been running every day for a few weeks.  Doing the slow MAF runs on most days make it much easier on the body and the recovery, even when the runs are longer.  My average MAF pace is about 10:45 for runs up to 6 miles.

My watch was not reading my heartrate last night and I felt lost.  I just ran by feel and ended up just about the right speed.

Wed April 1st, yesterday.  

Walked 4 miles...75 Minutes, 9750 Steps

Mrs walked 3 miles...60 Minutes

We also listen to a daily morning set from Bob Sinclair on Facebook Live, Excellent mix of old school beats from France where he broadcasts for 1 hour daily thru this pandemic. Starts at 9AM Eastern for one hour daily and it makes the morning walks go by a lot faster. 

Didn't post it last night, but got 30 minutes of walking up and down the 14 flights of stairs in our apartment building #quarantinecardio

ETA: wife got a 45 minute walk in before it started raining

TLDR Kev is a fat tub of goo, but getting smaller

The high-water mark was 352 pounds. I could stand for about ten minutes before my back would start screaming. I had eaten myself into an incurable disease, and when I turned 50, I was not a particularly good bet to outlive my parents. My brother is over four bills, and I didn't wish to join him. I was able to get into the 320s without incident, then stayed there for years.

My doc, a personal friend, urged me to try the Ideal Protein stuff that is hawked out of his office. It does, in fact, work, and it opened my eyes to the low-carb possibilities. With it, I broke my long plateau and got to 311. But it costs far too much, and I determined I could do this myself with Atkins products from the store. I know the real health nuts look down their noses at that stuff, but you have to understand that I used have a double cheeseburger and fries for lunch...and again for dinner. Having two Atkins bars for breakfast and another two for lunch is a huge improvement.

The real breakthrough, I think, was about a year ago. I started going to the gym first thing in the morning, and I started on hormone replacement therapy. My T was less than half of the bottom of the normal range, so this wasn't vanity. I feel like the quality of my sleep has improved. And when I eat right and exercise, I lose weight.

Does that mean I've lost a metric hell-ton since? No.  I weigh as much as Aaron Donald and JJ Watt, without really resembling either of those dudes. But I left the 300 Club for the first time in about 15 years. I lost weight over the holidays. I got down to 283 in January. Most importantly, my last two A1c tests were in the normal range.

Then my bipolar friend reappeared in my life and I started eating my feelings again. I was back up to 297  before I knew it. I would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes than hurt her, but people who make you unhealthy can't be in your life. Hoping she doesn't require rescue again anytime soon. :oldunsure:  

Losing access to the gym can't be an impediment either. Like Mac said, adapt or die. In my case, quite literally. I'm getting about 50 minutes of walking in at lunch, and after work, I take the long way to the mailbox by making two laps of my complex first, which takes about 15 minutes. Today I felt so good I took a third lap. Now at 291, the next intermediate goal is 272, which is what I weighed when I got married in 1996. The ultimate goal is 225, which doesn''t sound like a high bar, but my old age at that weight will be much better than at 352.
I remember being close to 300 when I was around 30 and coming out of the mortgage industry at Lehman and also taking all that money and gambling at night at Hustler/Commerce in SoCal and that cycle with a love affair for IPA Beers pushed me to a point I was never supposed to go. 

I managed to get down to 250 and held that for a long time. I would sometimes drop 25 but then gain it back when work got top priority over myself. 

About a year ago, maybe almost 18 months now, my wife encouraged me to pick a racquet back up and I was asked to fill in for Doubles on the first night I reported to the Courts to just try and hit with a coach. I was rolled 6-0 6-0 or close to it and the team who was beating us was just rubbing my nose in it...I'm trying to make this a short story. Long story short, those same two guys I hated that night, they are in my weekly Tennis group of about 8-12 guys and now I usually get the better of them and because I am just a little younger than most of these guys they have watched my entire frame change from the 260 lb fattie I was becoming again...I've dropped a lot of weight bu the tennis court is not a gym  and I would get a lot better if I would commit to improving my cardio and also my strength, I don't do well lifting free weights. 

Half the battle is admitting you have a problem, seriously. You can do it Kev, you're already making progress and have done yourself some good. Keep going!!!

I have been running every day for a few weeks.  Doing the slow MAF runs on most days make it much easier on the body and the recovery, even when the runs are longer.  My average MAF pace is about 10:45 for runs up to 6 miles.

My watch was not reading my heartrate last night and I felt lost.  I just ran by feel and ended up just about the right speed.
That's pretty solid.  If you decided to push and race, I think you're really surprise yourself at what you'd be able to accomplish.  You could almost assuredly take 2:30 min/mile off that pace and probably closer to 3.

I'm curious what your HR was during your "fast" 5K.  If you can run MAF at 10:45 for 6 miles, then I would think it's almost a guarantee you can take 2-3 minutes off of that time.  At least from a fitness standpoint.
When I run MAF I try to stay under 135 (but catch myself inching up to 140 often) and usually average about 133.  I am 50 years old so that may be a little high, but it feels good and I don't end exhausted.

During my "fast" I was at an average or 153

When I run MAF I try to stay under 135 (but catch myself inching up to 140 often) and usually average about 133.  I am 50 years old so that may be a little high, but it feels good and I don't end exhausted.

During my "fast" I was at an average or 153
Yeah, you got much more in you  :)

I'm only a few years younger than you.  My MAF is similar to yours (slower when I first started, now down to about 10:00/mile for MAF).  My last 5K race had my average at 170 (which is actually even a little low).  For "shorter" races like a 5K, most people are in the high 160's/170's and even into the 180's. 

Just as a data point.  No need to drop "Flying" from the name just yet  ;)

So I rededicated myself this week and took a while. I was just eating garbage being self quarantined and I just did not have the motivation apparently.... Hopefully this time I have no more excuses

Anyway this is week one all over again....

Starting at 220 now....:(

175 end game

Yeah, you got much more in you  :)

I'm only a few years younger than you.  My MAF is similar to yours (slower when I first started, now down to about 10:00/mile for MAF).  My last 5K race had my average at 170 (which is actually even a little low).  For "shorter" races like a 5K, most people are in the high 160's/170's and even into the 180's. 

Just as a data point.  No need to drop "Flying" from the name just yet  ;)
Thanks for your confidence, but you have to remember, I am a triple threat - OLD, FAT and SLOW.

I got in two 45 minute walks yesterday and finished the 100 push-ups. So far today I've got  60 and 45 minute walks in, and will likely get another 45 minute walk in later. I've got a set of 20 push-ups in as well today, but already my shoulders and abs hurt from the push-ups from yesterday. Clearly I'm wayyy out of shape LOL. The goal is to lose 30 lbs, so I guess we'll see. Once I get into this, would like to get back to running and rollerblading. 

Was feeling lazy today and was leaning towards just vegging out this evening but Mrs MOP got her bike out and then she rang the bell in my face as she was riding out so I was about 5 minutes behind but grabbed mine and joined her. I have a Cannondale Hybrid-Quick Series from a few years ago, really rides smooth and I should get out on it more often. Wife has a similar one and we started off just doing a short ride and that ended up turning into 12 miles...

75 Minutes, 12 Miles, we did stop for a few minutes on one of the scenic bridges but I deducted that from the ride time. My ankles were somewhat sore today so this was a welcome non impact exercise. 

-Also got a call from one of the coaches at my tennis center, private court on Saturday at 9:30, 90 minutes of Instructional Doubles, only 4 in the clinic and where we are playing knows we're coming and has cleared it prior. 👍 

4/1-60

4/2-75 

Thinking hard about starting some free weight exercises, might need to add some slightly heavier weights but ****'s Sporting Goods is blowing it out right now, can order online. 

Also thinking about turning half the "Florida Room" which is my entire back side of the condo and convert it to a gym that I can do several things with not just free weights but also line it with mats for yoga and meditation and whatever else we want to do as we watch the cars drive in and out from the balcony. Add it to our home projects list. 

Can we talk about how I can’t stop drinking and eating junk food?  ####!  
I'd be a lot further along already if I could stop eating cereal around 10pm at night but that would require no 420 and that's not happening. 

Tried a low or no 420 approach and the alcohol consumption rises,  and that's far worse. 

Put me down for 67 minutes today either fast walking or slow jogging, depending upon your perspective.*

*Snail's pace walking for the 10K crowd, I'm sure.
Walking slow/slow jog is still a lot better than no walk. I don't run/jog like some of these others and I rarely play tennis on a hard court, it's bad for my knees. 

Another thing this exercise does is push me into bed a little earlier, I'm typically a night owl. I fell out last night around 10 and I am up and wide awake by 5 this morning, already wanting to post and encourage folks in here this morning. 

67 minutes rocks! 

Has anyone here tried Noom?  The commercials have been interesting to me.  What is the deal with it?  Does it work?  Seems like some kind of mind control thing you do in the app each day for 10 minutes just to remind you to keep good habits or something??

Ok, feel like I am losing progress here. I lost 30 lbs and then Covid pandemic hit the world. I have tried to continue to eat well but definitely not keeping track or doing as well. Also I moved to our beach house to escape NYC proper so left peloton bike behind, which I had used to get in best fitness shape in decades.  I have tried running but I can’t do it as it is tough on joints and my already bad back and more then two runs a week and I am limping around the house.  Did a run this morning and to be honest I was gassed after about two thirds of a run I had been able to complete when I first got here.  Very depressing.

One bright side is I don’t have a scale at beach house so don’t know what the damage has been. This place has always been an escape for me where I don’t worry about stuff like my weight but guess that needs to change. 

Can we talk about how I can’t stop drinking and eating junk food?  ####!  
I have this problem as well. We are staked with food in this house including tons of snacks and deserts for kids. I am having trouble avoiding it and I ####### love to drink. I never pretended to give that up on diet. 

I have this problem as well. We are staked with food in this house including tons of snacks and deserts for kids. I am having trouble avoiding it and I ####### love to drink. I never pretended to give that up on diet. 
Serious advice for you and @Otis

Plan your drinking and snacking.  You know you're going to do it, and that doesn't have to be the end of your diet. 

Say myfitnesspal tells you that you can have 1900 to 2000 calories and lose a pound a week.

And you do some exercise, which  gives you a little more room.  45 minutes of rowing at good effort is over 500 calories. 20 minutes of running at 5mph plus 20 minutes of walking is about 400. So call it about 2450 calories to lose weight. 

You can have a decent breakfast for around 400 calories - coffee with no sugar and a couple packets of instant oatmeal, or coffee with milk and sugar, two eggs and a piece of toast. Track that honestly - if you're adding sugar to your coffee and butter to your toast just keep track.  For lunch you can have two slices of bread, a quarter pound of deli meat, mustard, lettuce and tomato for about 400 calories. That's 800 calories by mid day.  

Now at dinner, you go off the rails.  Two large slices of meat pizza for 400 calories each.  A 300 calorie cookie. A whole bottle of cabernet for 550.  That's a 1650 calorie binge.  And you're up to 2450 calories - minus your exercise - which puts you right around your goal to lose a pound a week.

You can do this. You don't even need to give up all your bad habits.  You just need to decide to do it. 

Has anyone here tried Noom?  The commercials have been interesting to me.  What is the deal with it?  Does it work?  Seems like some kind of mind control thing you do in the app each day for 10 minutes just to remind you to keep good habits or something??
I don’t know anyone that has tried it but that shouldn’t stop you.   What do you have to lose, besides a few pounds and a couple of bucks that you won’t miss?   I’m assuming this app costs something.  

Any diet that allows for a daily consumption of a bottle of wine is one that I can endorse.  I think. :scared:
Yeah just to be clear I am not a doctor or nutritionist and this is not medical advice.  Drinking a bottle of wine daily is not generally recommended and the caloric content is not the only issue.  The example diet listed above is not good for fiber content so good luck ####ting right if you eat like that every day, and you best be taking a multi vitamin and drinking water if you're doing that with any regularity.  

But still - we all #### up especially when things are stressful.  The point isn't that drinking a bottle of wine every night is healthy - it's obviously not recommended by most doctors I'm aware of - it's just that if you know you tend to overeat at night, you can still maintain or lose weight. 

After waking up so early this morning, by 6:30 I had already had 2 cups of coffee and was in jeopardy of waking the wife while she was still deep sleeping and that is like a late night dance with death in my house...she has to get up somewhat early for work every day and since she is working at home now she likes to "sleep in" til 8. 

I decided best to get out of the house. 45 minute walk, had to put a sweatshirt on it was almost chilly out. 2.5 miles 

Then my wife had afternoon meetings and real work so I jumped on the bike and was able to do about 9 miles in 45 minutes. 

45 and 45 today, the night is still young. I feel incredible right now. I have cut down immensely on news, if it's not an alert or really important I'm trying to block out the noise. Trying to not get too full of myself and also not get too far ahead, one day at a time right now. 

I know it doesn't "count" as exercise. But I got an adjustable height PC stand thing and put it on top of our bedroom dresser so I have a standing desk. Given we have a 1-BR apartment, it's also the only room i can VC/call without banishing my wife to the bedroom all day.

Anyway, the point is: I think standing a majority of the time from 7:30-5:30 is doing something. Which is nice. Back feels better than it ever did in whatever closet of a team room clients would give us.

Users who are viewing this thread