Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

Day 34- Feel like I'm coming down with something (not covid-y)- slept like crap, then some insomnia, then more crap sleep. Ended up waking up too late to get a workout in before work. First missed day.

Day 35- So coming down with something = diagnosed with shingles. The pain isn't too bad, but it does keep me awake/wake me up. Feels like I've been kicked in the ribs and back simultaneously. Overall I just feel wiped out. Taking another day off, and hoping to feel a bit better tomorrow to get active.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

May challenge is all on the diet side of the equation. 

Whatever your goal is, the challenge is to track calories every day in myfitnesspal or points initrackbites/ww or do your IF and stay under. 

May challenge starts Monday. 

Who's in?

Oh why the hell not.  Although I will say that this will be way harder than the exercise challenge.  I’m grateful that you’re giving us the weekend to drink our asses off.  :thanks:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm going to make my goal specific and public.  WW gives me a number of points available for each day and then extra for each week.  Each day you can go above or below your points to a certain number but still be in what they term the "healthy eating zone."  My goals:  (1) stay in the healthy eating zone at least six of seven days every week, and (2) do not exceed the overall weekly allotment in any week.  The timing of this works great for me as my WW weeks start on Mondays.  Thanks for the idea, fred!

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Based on what I ate today (and the amount of calories that I burned), I could still drink 10 more rum and cokes tonight and be under 2500 calories!    :excited:

Now only 9 more.    :oldunsure:

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t even know how to count calories, with any sort of precision.  

My resistance has always been the whole measuring, weighing, etc.  I don’t even know where to start. My wife knows how to do it. She’s always taking pictures of the weird square things, on the packaging.  She has a scale. She’s calorie conscious. I am not. I could ask my wife for help.....but that would involve her telling me what to do. In yet another category. Where she’s right. Again. Not sure I’m willing to give, yet another, small part of me. There are so few left.  We’ll see. :sadbanana:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, krista4 said:

I'm going to make my goal specific and public.  WW gives me a number of points available for each day and then extra for each week.  Each day you can go above or below your points to a certain number but still be in what they term the "healthy eating zone."  My goals:  (1) stay in the healthy eating zone at least six of seven days every week, and (2) do not exceed the overall weekly allotment in any week.  The timing of this works great for me as my WW weeks start on Mondays.  Thanks for the idea, fred!

I am on Krista’s plan too. I will track food and post my results. 
 

5/1 - allowed 35, ate 23 points. Dominoes gluten-free pizza is only 10 points. 

Edited by The Flying Turtle
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had two glasses of wine with my 5 slices of pizza last night. And then I went for a drive and smoked a cigar. And then I came back and had like 4 more glasses of wine. And brownies. I think I had brownies. 
 

In the light of morning, a day’s caloric intake comprised entirely of pizza, brownies, and alcohol seems like it’s honestly probably not a very good idea, really for anyone, let alone a person in their 40s who would like to lose 20lbs. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, The Flying Turtle said:

I am on Krista’s plan too. I will track food and post my results. 
 

5/1 - allowed 35, ate 23 points. Dominoes gluten-free pizza is only 10 points. 

I’m in for May.  Probably won’t track food on MyFitnessPal, but will consciously be trying to eat better/less.  Hard part will be cutting back on snacks.

Exercise wise, I just want to exceed my total minutes from April (1,224 minutes).  Not setting a specific minute goal beyond that.

Posting updates in here will help keep me honest.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

I don’t even know how to count calories, with any sort of precision.  

My resistance has always been the whole measuring, weighing, etc.  I don’t even know where to start. My wife knows how to do it. She’s always taking pictures of the weird square things, on the packaging.  She has a scale. She’s calorie conscious. I am not. I could ask my wife for help.....but that would involve her telling me what to do. In yet another category. Where she’s right. Again. Not sure I’m willing to give, yet another, small part of me. There are so few left.  We’ll see. :sadbanana:

I have no idea either.  I’m going to use the MyFitnessPal app that BF suggested.  No clue how accurate I’ll get with that.  For example, I just split a 3 egg vegetable and cheese omelette with my wife.  I used olive oil and added a little bit of lucky dog hot sauce.  No clue how to record that in an app.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I have no idea either.  I’m going to use the MyFitnessPal app that BF suggested.  No clue how accurate I’ll get with that.  For example, I just split a 3 egg vegetable and cheese omelette with my wife.  I used olive oil and added a little bit of lucky dog hot sauce.  No clue how to record that in an app.

I use MFP but don’t have a scale.   I’m not measuring food perfectly but just the process of trying to determine what I’m consuming and the act of tracking has always resulted in weight loss.  

If I made a 3 egg omelette with a slice of Colby jack cheese that I split w my wife, I would enter 1.5 large eggs and .5 slice of cheese.   The package of cheese will provide the calories in a slice so you can verify your work.  

After a week of entering food, you will have a library built of the foods that you tend to eat.   I eat egg whites almost every morning and measured out .75 cups of egg whites a few times.  I know what .75 cups of egg whites roughly looks like in the pan now without measuring.

 If the tracking process is too difficult and time consuming, most of us aren’t doing it.   Just get it close and check the scale in a week.  The scale will show you if your process is working. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I have no idea either.  I’m going to use the MyFitnessPal app that BF suggested.  No clue how accurate I’ll get with that.  For example, I just split a 3 egg vegetable and cheese omelette with my wife.  I used olive oil and added a little bit of lucky dog hot sauce.  No clue how to record that in an app.

You don't need to be perfect. The difference between 2000 and 2050 calories is not really important. 

You can look up ther calories for each individual ingredient but it's totally ok to make an educated guess.  

You can record 3 jumbo eggs at 90 calories each. whatever you used for cheese for let's say 90 more, any oil or butter you used to cook ít, probably 30 calories and some vegetables for 60. Hot sauce doesn't really have calories.  So that's about 450 calories total.  

But that's a lot of work and not really necessary.  

I just type in omelette and it shows a hundred different things like an omelette from denny's and an omelette with meat and an egg white omelette with no cheese and a 3 egg omelette with cheese and vegetables and i pick the one closest to what i had. It might say 400 or 500 calories instead of 450, so I try to err on the higher side. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

You don't need to be perfect. The difference between 2000 and 2050 calories is not really important. 

You can look up ther calories for each individual ingredient but it's totally ok to make an educated guess.  

You can record 3 jumbo eggs at 90 calories each. whatever you used for cheese for let's say 90 more, any oil or butter you used to cook ít, probably 30 calories and some vegetables for 60. Hot sauce doesn't really have calories.  So that's about 450 calories total.  

But that's a lot of work and not really necessary.  

I just type in omelette and it shows a hundred different things like an omelette from denny's and an omelette with meat and an egg white omelette with no cheese and a 3 egg omelette with cheese and vegetables and i pick the one closest to what i had. It might say 400 or 500 calories instead of 450, so I try to err on the higher side. 

what if a person has no education?  :mellow:  :lmao:   i couldn't tell you how many calories are in anything.  i'm a caveman when it comes to this thought process.  beer, bad.  water, good  nachos, bad  steamed broccoli, good(maybe?)  eat everything, bad  eat less, good.

what app are you typing things into?  what is this mystery data base you speak of?   almost all of the food i eat, is made from scratch.  so i will need to know how many calories are in raw ingredients.  it's intriguing.  i could ask my wife, but i'm enough of a burden there already.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

what if a person has no education?  :mellow:  :lmao:   i couldn't tell you how many calories are in anything.  i'm a caveman when it comes to this thought process.  beer, bad.  water, good  nachos, bad  steamed broccoli, good(maybe?)  eat everything, bad  eat less, good.

what app are you typing things into?  what is this mystery data base you speak of?   almost all of the food i eat, is made from scratch.  so i will need to know how many calories are in raw ingredients.  it's intriguing.  i could ask my wife, but i'm enough of a burden there already.

My Fitness Pal has the database. You enter 3 oz chicken and it will tell you the calories. Just a rough estimate is close enough.
 

It I very easy. Go to diary, choose lunch - add food and start typing. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

what if a person has no education?  :mellow:  :lmao:   i couldn't tell you how many calories are in anything.  i'm a caveman when it comes to this thought process.  beer, bad.  water, good  nachos, bad  steamed broccoli, good(maybe?)  eat everything, bad  eat less, good.

what app are you typing things into?  what is this mystery data base you speak of?   almost all of the food i eat, is made from scratch.  so i will need to know how many calories are in raw ingredients.  it's intriguing.  i could ask my wife, but i'm enough of a burden there already.

There's nothing wrong with eating more broccoli and less nachos. Tracking calories isn't for everyone.  I never did it and then i started and now it's second nature. 

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/

The myfitnesspal app is really easy to use - you click on the plus sign to add food, choose if it was breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack, and type in the first few letters. You can type in quesadillas and it will bring up a bunch of different kinds from low calorie 250 cal to cheesecake factory 1200 calorie gut buster. Or pick your ingredients like one mission tortilla, onions and peppers, about 4 oz grilled chicken and some cheese.  Just click the plus sign to add each item one by one.  

Then if you go for a run you just click plus, add exercise, choose cardio,  run 6mph or 7mph or whatever, then type in 35 minutes and it will calculate how many calories you burned and add that back to the number you have left for the day. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

I'm not going to track, but today is keto day 12. I'm down about 8lbs so far.

That counts imo - you're tracking carbs, other people track points, i track calories.  It's all about being mindful of what we're eating this month.  

And awesome job so far. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day whatever... (35 I think?)- decided to get out for a run, shingles be damned. That was a mistake. Ended up with a total of 77 minutes, more walking then running, and definitely over did it. Felt like I was going to pass out, and still feel like crap an hour later. I’m glad I got the exercise in, but I’m going to have to take it somewhat easier for awhile.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:

Day whatever... (35 I think?)- decided to get out for a run, shingles be damned. That was a mistake. Ended up with a total of 77 minutes, more walking then running, and definitely over did it. Felt like I was going to pass out, and still feel like crap an hour later. I’m glad I got the exercise in, but I’m going to have to take it somewhat easier for awhile.

In Tecumsehland shingles damn you...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say that this is definitely helping.  Today I ate half an omelette, chocolate milk and a grilled cheese sandwich for our picnic lunch.  No snacks at all (even though we packed plenty for our hike). It’s amazing when you set a calorie goal and start recording things how much you want to hit that goal.  Getting takeout from a nice Italian restaurant tonight and I should have enough left to enjoy a great dinner (and sprinkle in a rum and coke or 2).

Edited by fred_1_15301
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 31 and Day 32 as I went absent last 24 hours. 

May 1st-Day 31...very uneventful 50 Minute walk in the morning but weather was gorgeous. Kind of just laid around the house and chased my wife from room to room. She also put on quite a dancing display to some terrific techno I pulled up so she will get an extra 30 minutes for dancing, she is actually going to be slightly ahead of me to start the month. 

Day 32-Today...started off on a 60 minute walk around the golf course with Mrs. We wanted to go look at new cycles down in Ft Lauderdale but opted not to drive 2 hours round trip and instead just kept riding the ones we have and be thankful we even have decent bikes at the moment, all the LBS are pretty much sold out or you can't get what you really want. 

We were gone 2.5 hours and went over the bridges along the Jupiter Inlet and also Jupiter Island as we sat atop the drawbridge looking below at all the pretty boats passing under along the Inlet, just beautiful. I would say we did bilateral self-propulsion for a solid 2 hours. 

Total MoP-230 and Mrs MoP-260

 

-I have been using Fred's encouragement of tracking calories and it's been working pretty darn well. If I get into trouble late in the day or early evening and find myself running low on available calories, I try to find something as close to ZERO points thru WW tracking as possible. Example, broiled chix/fish with roasted vegetables and fresh berries/fruit for dessert has like almost no points. I will go with the group and track, it's not much different than what I have been doing. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Otis said:

I had two glasses of wine with my 5 slices of pizza last night. And then I went for a drive and smoked a cigar. And then I came back and had like 4 more glasses of wine. And brownies. I think I had brownies. 
 

In the light of morning, a day’s caloric intake comprised entirely of pizza, brownies, and alcohol seems like it’s honestly probably not a very good idea, really for anyone, let alone a person in their 40s who would like to lose 20lbs. 

But it sounds glorious as a one time binge/fun day.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good thing this calorie count starts Monday...made it thru breakfast(yogurt & fruit), then lunch (big salad) and then for dinner we blew it up with a solid 2.5 slices 18" with Sausage, it was delicious and derailed Mrs who had the other 1.5 slices and half a pizza still sits in my kitchen. I had a Lagunitas Tallboy and a Jarritos Grapefruit soda, delish. 

Breakfast-200

Lunch-250 with the apple

Dinner-Pizza 1,000 calories probably, Beer-350, Soda-150 

1,950 at the moment but I was fairly active today so it was the right day to enjoy. I don't have much wiggle tonight but there are not a lot of sweets in the...oh bleep there's unopened Breyer's Van/Choc in the freezer...

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Otis said:

I had two glasses of wine with my 5 slices of pizza last night. And then I went for a drive and smoked a cigar. And then I came back and had like 4 more glasses of wine. And brownies. I think I had brownies. 
 

In the light of morning, a day’s caloric intake comprised entirely of pizza, brownies, and alcohol seems like it’s honestly probably not a very good idea, really for anyone, let alone a person in their 40s who would like to lose 20lbs. 

He channels the Vince Vaughn character in Old School so well. 

I picture Otis walking around his house with a child attached to him in one of those daddy bibs while his hands are free so he can grab another slice without having to put down his beer. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Jarritos Grapefruit soda, delish. 

I don't have much wiggle tonight but there are not a lot of sweets in the...oh bleep there's unopened Breyer's Van/Choc in the freezer...

:lmao:  at the end part.  Jarritos...man, I haven't had one of those in ages, but I used to love them.  Mandarin was my favorite.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Allow me to chime in with a good rule to shoot for and then I will also share a frozen pizza I discovered that helped for a lot of cheats as I got going...

-Try to eat as many 1 ingredient foods as possible, like apples for example, the label reads apples 😉  And we can keep going thru the list but I will show where this becomes more important. Oatmeal in a pack usually has added stuff where Bob's Oatmeal which does take me a few minutes to cook up but is so delicious and I overcook them or cream to the point they barely need sugar or milk, usually just add another 1-ingredient food like blueberries.  Maple Syrup btw is just maple syrup so there's more to work with than just fruits and vegetables but basically flush as much processed anything from you system as you can live with. 

And now the pizza I think could be helpful. Urban Pie and specifically the BBQ Chix Saus on Sweet Potato is yummy! and only 300 calories per 1/4, you can devour half and feel zero guilt so check those out. I found them at Sprouts and ate like 4 of them last month in a few of the different flavors. 

Miller Lite 96 calories per 12 oz can, when living on the threshold of Armageddon or a Virus Pandemic I like to reach for the less filling better tasting Lite Beer. Just 3 pts on WW. 

Looking for something smooth and creamy? Well look no further than Fage Yogurt 0% Raspberry in your refrigerated section of the grocery store. The key here is to just simply stir the yogurt but do not add the sweet raspberry add on, simply dip and scoop, don't mix. Try one and you'll get it. After you get the sugars out of your mouth, this stuff is almost as sweet as ice cream. 

Cheers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.reddit.com/r/GifRecipes/comments/gcq7lh/egg_ham_cheese_tortilla_wrap/

Small pat butter (25 cal)

two eggs (120 cal)

one fajita sized mission tortilla (80 cal)

1/5 cup extra sharp cheddar (110 cal)

1/4 cup steamed broccoli (7 cal)

Total 342 calories.  

Whisk eggs in bowl.  Preheat small nonstick frying pan over medium (NOT medium high) heat. Melt small pat butter and spread evenly over surface. Pour in eggs. When they bubble and most liquid is solidifying, you should be able to lift the pan and slide the omelette around. Add the tortilla on top of the egg, then flip. Add cheese and broccoli (or ham, eggs, whatever). Salt and pepper to taste immediately. Fold over one third and press down firmly to crease. Flip the thick part down onto the remaining face up third and press. 

Amazing.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went off the rails a bit this morning and indulge with 3 pieces of Creme bulee french toast made with brioche bread and topped with real whip cream and maple syrup and butter and 3 sausage links but they were Applegate Chix n Sage, 3 links only 110 calories or 3 points on WW. 

All said I packed in roughly 750 calories by my estimates this morning but I was helping the Mrs eat hers and help absorb some of the calories, you gotta take one for the team sometimes. 

We are planning fish tacos this afternoon and I might skip the tortilla shells and just do Mahi, gauc, salsa, veggies. Pretty close to zero points, maybe 300-400 calories, plenty left for a meal or snacks the rest of the night. Tomorrow it's oatmeal and salad to get the week rolling. It's about trying to create a little balance.

My journey has been fun but if I don't make changes and learn from previous runs then it will all be for not. I don't want to bounce hard like previous times and I'm really not depriving myself of all that much right now. Easier with restaurants either closed or set up in a way MOP is never going to sit inside and feel comfy so I'll keep cooking at home.  

-Will be setting up MyFitnessPal tonight, Mrs was very excited about the Fitness App part of the challenge. 

We did go for a 60 minute walk around 10:30 this morning to walk off some of the french toast. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ran/walk a combo of 5.5 miles this morning.  Was targeting a 10 mile run but my left knee stopped cooperating after 3 miles.  At this point, I’m going to need to see a physical therapist if I want to be able to consistently run more than 3 miles at a time.  

Anyways that exercise earned me ~ 550 calories which I quickly spent at breakfast (home fries, one piece of toast with butter and veggie breakfast patty).  Will target a lighter lunch so I can enjoy dinner.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

90 brutal minutes yesterday, with all sorts of HIIT mixed with a mile run and some serious hill climbing.  60 minutes of the same route today, minus the HIIT, but with more running.  

last nights, lighted bike parade, was fun.  and i got in about 20 minutes of biking.  and, all the gin.  meaning, there's no more.  :pickle:  i am trying out the MFP and the gin is what nuked my calories.  as expected.  gonna give it whirl and see if i can come to like MFP.  does anyone have it synced to an exercise tracking app?  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2020 at 4:08 PM, bostonfred said:

May challenge is all on the diet side of the equation. 

Whatever your goal is, the challenge is to track calories every day in myfitnesspal or points initrackbites/ww or do your IF and stay under. 

May challenge starts Monday. 

Who's in?

Myfitnesspal - 2000 calories/day for May.

In.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Try to eat as many 1 ingredient foods as possible, like apples for example, the label reads apples 😉  And we can keep going thru the list but I will show where this becomes more important. Oatmeal in a pack usually has added stuff where Bob's Oatmeal which does take me a few minutes to cook up but is so delicious and I overcook them or cream to the point they barely need sugar or milk, usually just add another 1-ingredient food like blueberries.  Maple Syrup btw is just maple syrup so there's more to work with than just fruits and vegetables but basically flush as much processed anything from you system as you can live with. 

I'm not going to count calories (too much work), but if this is becoming a recipe thread, I'm happy to share my prized oatmeal recipe that has become my standard breakfast.

Step 1: Start cooking the oatmeal. (Rolled oats, steel-cut oats, whatever.) Make one serving however your package says to do it. While the oatmeal is simmering...

Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix up: one banana (sliced into little pieces), half a dark chocolate bar (broken into little pieces), a handful of almonds, five or six heaping teaspoons of plain yogurt, and an unmeasured amount (maybe about a tablespoon) of honey.

Step 3: A few minutes before the oatmeal is done cooking, toss in a handful of frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, whatever).

Step 4: When ready,  dump the oatmeal-with-berries into the bowl of other stuff, stir it all up, and eat it.

Pro tip: Find a big bowl, because it's hard to fit all of that into a regular-sized bowl.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m actually enjoying counting the calories.  It’s forcing me to portion control during the day and reward myself at night.  Also, it makes exercise that much more fun because the end reward is being able to reward myself more.  It’s not helping me cut down on the alcohol though.  If anything, it’s telling me that I should be drinking more.   :lol:

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bostonfred said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GifRecipes/comments/gcq7lh/egg_ham_cheese_tortilla_wrap/

Small pat butter (25 cal)

two eggs (120 cal)

one fajita sized mission tortilla (80 cal)

1/5 cup extra sharp cheddar (110 cal)

1/4 cup steamed broccoli (7 cal)

Total 342 calories.  

Whisk eggs in bowl.  Preheat small nonstick frying pan over medium (NOT medium high) heat. Melt small pat butter and spread evenly over surface. Pour in eggs. When they bubble and most liquid is solidifying, you should be able to lift the pan and slide the omelette around. Add the tortilla on top of the egg, then flip. Add cheese and broccoli (or ham, eggs, whatever). Salt and pepper to taste immediately. Fold over one third and press down firmly to crease. Flip the thick part down onto the remaining face up third and press. 

Amazing.  

Saw this in your new thread.  Sounds delicious!  And easy enough for someone like me to make.  :) 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Otis changed the title to Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...