What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

I don’t know how you can live, let alone work out, in that heat.  I used to do it, but I’ve gotten soft.  Last week I was gardening and thought I was going to die; looked at the temperature and it was 78.   :lol:  

I don’t know how you can live, let alone work out, in that heat.  I used to do it, but I’ve gotten soft.  Last week I was gardening and thought I was going to die; looked at the temperature and it was 78.   :lol:  
Our LOWS have been right around 78 plus a lot of humidity.

If you don't work out first thing in the morning (assuming you are doing it outside), it's not getting done.

Our LOWS have been right around 78 plus a lot of humidity.

If you don't work out first thing in the morning (assuming you are doing it outside), it's not getting done.
I think I’d have to do it in the middle of the night, though even 78 with humidity sounds too warm to work out.  

Ok folks.  Question.  Contemplating purchasing a bike to provide a little variability in exercise methods.  I have little to no knowledge.  I’m 5’9” #290 +/-.  Was thinking Mountain style bike, though I would most likely be riding on street or paved/hard packed trails.  Would rather not break the bank ($500 or less hopefully).

Anybody have any recommendations on a particular bike, or any other tips/suggestions to share.

TIA

Cheesey

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Ok folks.  Question.  Contemplating purchasing a bike to provide a little variability in exercise methods.  I have little to no knowledge.  I’m 5’9” #290 +/-.  Was thinking Mountain style bike, though I would most likely be riding on street or paved/hard packed trails.  Would rather not break the bank ($500 or less hopefully).

Anybody have any recommendations on a particular bike, or any other tips/suggestions to share.

TIA

Cheesey
Bikes are like toilet paper. Make sure you can even find one. 

Gonna go back to tracking  on mfp. It helps me not have that last beer/glass of wine. 2100 is the new cap  182.5, slightly active  

Also going to commit to 4 workouts a week for the month of July. As well as 50 miles in the canyon.  Should be doable. Working makes it hard, plus no gym for July. We’ll see. 

Went around the neighborhood at an 18:37 pace, no worries. The humidity was at "air you can wear" levels, but if you do it at sun-up, it's not quite a Turkish sauna.

Averaged 8,000 steps/day in 2019 (got a desk job 👎, so hard to get in good steps during the day).  Set a goal of 10k steps per day in 2020.  Have averaged 11k so far 💪
In spite of Corona, still straight killing it.  Projections vs. last year:

# of steps - 31.54% increase

# of days over 10k steps - 215% increase

# of days over 12k steps - 403% increase

# of days over 15k steps - 266% increase

I'm also down to my lowest weight I've ever recorded (going back to high school - I'm 41 now).  I may have another 5lbs give or take to go.....however my cholesterol keeps going up (Ratio is actually good, but I spiked from last year).  I need to cut out red meat (eat a ####load of salads with red meat) as much as possible and get another blood test in a few months.  All of my other tests check out just fine.

My gym (standard 24 hour anytime fitness) finally opened up, so I need to look up the new protocols.  Any advice for just basic old man workout basically to "not fall out of shape"?

In spite of Corona, still straight killing it.  Projections vs. last year:

# of steps - 31.54% increase

# of days over 10k steps - 215% increase

# of days over 12k steps - 403% increase

# of days over 15k steps - 266% increase

I'm also down to my lowest weight I've ever recorded (going back to high school - I'm 41 now).  I may have another 5lbs give or take to go.....however my cholesterol keeps going up (Ratio is actually good, but I spiked from last year).  I need to cut out red meat (eat a ####load of salads with red meat) as much as possible and get another blood test in a few months.  All of my other tests check out just fine.

My gym (standard 24 hour anytime fitness) finally opened up, so I need to look up the new protocols.  Any advice for just basic old man workout basically to "not fall out of shape"?
push and pull with very light weights to start.   focus on form.  don't forget to stretch. don't forget your core.

• Smile
I'm back on track and almost back to my pre-poison ivy weight. 

I've added in some resistance training, following the men's health guide for guys over 40 and discovered that I am out of shape for my age group. #### you, men's health. 

Doing daily yoga - 30 days of yoga by Adrienne on youtube. 4 days in, loving it. I cleared an area in my home office so I can do this between meetings. Will probably continue past the 30 days. 

Back to daily treadmill. 

Cut out the booze for the most part and while im not doing IF, I've found I'm doing most of my eating around lunchtime. I'm still having something small at night sometimes, like tonight I'm going grocery shopping and I'll probably have some scallops and a glass of wine. Other nights I might just make a big bowl of broccoli and throw some kikkoman sweet soy sauce for rice on it. That stuff is so good.

@Otis one of my cheats was something you've mentioned in the past - eating my kid's chicken tenders or fries. What I've been doing is cooking fewer fries in the first place, but cooking 3 chicken fingers for myself and then breaking them up into pieces and putting them on a low carb wrap with a 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole and lettuce. I still feel like I "get to" have chicken, which was a hurdle for me, but I'm planning a small portion into my meals so it doesn't throw me off, and pairing it with healthier foods. Might help you to find something similar. 

reading up on this...very interesting
There are a ton of great weight training plans.  I like hitting body parts twice a week but the second workout is with less weight.   Whatever you choose, stick to it for 6 weeks.    Talke a week off of the weight training and only do cardio.    Choose a new weight training plan.  Repeat.   

• Smile
cheeseypoof said:

TIA

Cheesey
i am loving my bike and hit 600 km last month it is a nice break from walking and beats up on calories like they owe it money so keep on cyclin on brohan take that to the bank

so i spent the morning taking down about a 50 foot ash tree got it corded up and the branches ready to burn its about 90 here and i think i lost about 5 lbs in sweat holy moly first time i ran a chainsaw in about eight months and it felt pretty damned good gotta say take that to the bank brohans 

Have been slightly on and off but generally 3-4 times a week. 30:00 7067m. 

Because this is a wellness thread I’ll post it here. @Otis you should 100% hire a part time nanny to help you and your wife out. We made it 11 weeks without help before getting to the breaking point. Best 500ish bucks we spend each week. Paying 20 bucks an hour for someone to come 4-5 hours a day (used care.com - zoom interviewed 3 people and hired one who started a few days later - easy peasy).

The other suggestions in the other thread are fine - but actually throwing some money at this problem is, in my humble opinion, the best way to make things better. End hijack. 

. We're over 100 days into this lockdown or whatever you want to call it and I'm so proud of the people who are killing it during such a stressful time in world events. Good for you. 

For those of us who aren't - today is a great day to start.

I'm back with a vengeance... Coffee for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch, pizza for dinner a chicken wrap for a snack and wine. 

But I'm still well under my calorie goal, I did a yoga session hard enough that it finally cracked me (side planks - ####### hell) and ran a MAF 5k, plus had a bunch of salady goodness and avocado on my wrap, kept myself to one slice of pizza and had a bunch of fun playing with my kid.  

You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight. Exercise helps. Making healthy choices helps. Make sustainable changes and don't just do it for a day or a week but until you meet your goals. It's that simple.

@Otis I get what you are going through. I saw people recommending meditation. I saw @General Malaise offer to mail you cookies because he's the best. I saw people suggest getting exercise with your family. I know you are into rowing because it's a full body exercise. 

Let me suggest Yoga witj Adrienne.  Thirty days of 20 to 30 minutes a day. It's got some of the benefits of meditation but it's also a full body workout that you can do at any time during your day. I do it between meetings. Feels awesome, helps you find your chill, she's a fn smokeshow which is nice, and you might find your kids or your wife are interested in joining so it's not necessarily something you have to do when they're asleep or otherwise occupied. 

Let me suggest Yoga witj Adrienne.  Thirty days of 20 to 30 minutes a day. It's got some of the benefits of meditation but it's also a full body workout that you can do at any time during your day. I do it between meetings. Feels awesome, helps you find your chill, she's a fn smokeshow which is nice, and you might find your kids or your wife are interested in joining so it's not necessarily something you have to do when they're asleep or otherwise occupied. 
I do her yoga for golf workout 4 times a week or so.  Love it.

I do her yoga for golf workout 4 times a week or so.  Love it.
I haven't tried that one but I don't golf. But I used to do either beginning yoga or something targeted like yoga for runners. 

What I like about the 30 days series so far is how different the days are. Day one was a lot of explaining how to do basics like downward facing dog but day 6 was an ab workout that almost killed me and day 7 she's like ok I bet your abs still hurt from yesterday so we're going to stretch that out and also strengthen other areas.

I had no idea yoga was liks a million different body weight exercises. Like get down in a plank, kick your right leg up in the sky and hold. Now bring your right knee up to your left elbow and hold it there. Then kick your leg back up again and hold. Then back to your right elbow. Then back up and back to your belly. Then back up... now collapse in a heap while you realize that you are about to repeat this on the other side. That hits so many muscles it's unreal. 

I knew there were a million poses but I'd only ever done yoga for beginner type stuff and it always covered the same handful of things so I kind of thought it was all like that with just some stretching for different muscles worked in.  I'm actually pretty excited about this because I can already feel myself improving and I know today is going to be some new different thing. 

I haven't tried that one but I don't golf. But I used to do either beginning yoga or something targeted like yoga for runners. 

What I like about the 30 days series so far is how different the days are. Day one was a lot of explaining how to do basics like downward facing dog but day 6 was an ab workout that almost killed me and day 7 she's like ok I bet your abs still hurt from yesterday so we're going to stretch that out and also strengthen other areas.

I had no idea yoga was liks a million different body weight exercises. Like get down in a plank, kick your right leg up in the sky and hold. Now bring your right knee up to your left elbow and hold it there. Then kick your leg back up again and hold. Then back to your right elbow. Then back up and back to your belly. Then back up... now collapse in a heap while you realize that you are about to repeat this on the other side. That hits so many muscles it's unreal. 

I knew there were a million poses but I'd only ever done yoga for beginner type stuff and it always covered the same handful of things so I kind of thought it was all like that with just some stretching for different muscles worked in.  I'm actually pretty excited about this because I can already feel myself improving and I know today is going to be some new different thing. 
I’m going to give this a try.  Is it free?  

ETA - ok I see it’s on YouTube.  I’m totally doing this.  Will mix it up with body combat/HIIT.  BTW has anyone tried the Les Mills body grit workout?  Good lord that’s 30 minutes of sheer torture.  It’s bad when even the instructors have to take random breaks in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m going to give this a try.  Is it free?  

ETA - ok I see it’s on YouTube.  I’m totally doing this.  Will mix it up with body combat/HIIT.  BTW has anyone tried the Les Mills body grit workout?  Good lord that’s 30 minutes of sheer torture.  It’s bad when even the instructors have to take random breaks in between.
Awesome. I'm doing the one from 2015 which I guess was the first one she did, she's done a couple others since and I'll probably try those later.  Trying tonstay with the same one the whole time because she seems to organize them so you can rest/stretch the thing she worked yesterday while working something else hard the next day. If you end up doing the same one I am I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts. It sounds like you do more of these things than I do so you may find it easier than I did but man day 6 kicked my butt enough that I'm going to go back to it from time to time just to finally get some real core strength. I have never been a big fitness guy but I'm genuinely enjoying these.

Awesome. I'm doing the one from 2015 which I guess was the first one she did, she's done a couple others since and I'll probably try those later.  Trying tonstay with the same one the whole time because she seems to organize them so you can rest/stretch the thing she worked yesterday while working something else hard the next day. If you end up doing the same one I am I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts. It sounds like you do more of these things than I do so you may find it easier than I did but man day 6 kicked my butt enough that I'm going to go back to it from time to time just to finally get some real core strength. I have never been a big fitness guy but I'm genuinely enjoying these.
I’ll let you know how it goes.  I likely won’t do it 30 days consecutive (although it seems like I’m supposed to?) as I don’t want to give up body combat.  But we will see.  Perhaps I do 2 workouts a day occasionally.

A few of us did that particular Yoga with Adriene program (the 30-day one called “HOME”) and discussed it in here.  I got the recommendation from this thread and completed it a few months ago.  Enjoyed it a lot and have often considered doing more of hers, but I finished the first one just as my GAF left town.  Maybe soon.

Funny that Fred mentioned Day 6 as months later I still remember that one!  It was the first one that was difficult, and hell yes my abs were sore!  They then got less difficult again for a while, as mentioned.  There were a couple in the 20s that hurt, too.  The only day I didn’t enjoy was Day 30 because she just has you do your own thing.  I did these first thing in the morning, which I always found a fabulous way to start the day.

And yes, she’s hot.  And seemingly very sweet.  I definitely have a girl-crush on her.

Day 8 is supposedly meditation and stuff.  But then halfway through it I was somehow balancing my whole body on my hands and trying to hover over the mat (not yet but I was a lot closer than I expected). And then I realized I'd broken a sweat at some point. She tricks you. 

Agree with doing it in the morning but while working from home I'm just treating it like a half hour meeting when I don't have anything scheduled, preferably earlier in the day so I'm not still tired when I get on the treadmill at night.  Ran another MAF 5k todsy (plus mowed the lawn with a push mower and had a water balloon fight with my kid) and stayed under calories and I feel so much better now after my poison ivy hiatus. I feel like I'm supposed to slow down and pace myself but I feel great right now so let's see where this goes. 

Day 8 is supposedly meditation and stuff.  But then halfway through it I was somehow balancing my whole body on my hands and trying to hover over the mat (not yet but I was a lot closer than I expected). And then I realized I'd broken a sweat at some point. She tricks you. 

Agree with doing it in the morning but while working from home I'm just treating it like a half hour meeting when I don't have anything scheduled, preferably earlier in the day so I'm not still tired when I get on the treadmill at night.  Ran another MAF 5k todsy (plus mowed the lawn with a push mower and had a water balloon fight with my kid) and stayed under calories and I feel so much better now after my poison ivy hiatus. I feel like I'm supposed to slow down and pace myself but I feel great right now so let's see where this goes. 
I did Day 1 today (just stretching) but I think it was from this year.  I'll start over tomorrow and switch over to the 2015 version.  Also, it looks like these are mostly 15-30 minutes so easy to fit in during a work break (and I can involve the kids so 2 birds with one stone).  Thanks for the recommendation.  

TIA

Cheesey
I have a Cannondale Quick 3 from 2013 and it still ROCKS! Great on the streets and around the neighborhood which is primarily where you will ride. 

Best thing to do is look at Cannondale, Trek, Specialized websites, they all have "Hybrid" Cycles and they are pretty comfortable. The websites will connect you with a local dealer who I can tell you upfront will be short on supply but you might be able to test ride 1-2 and then order direct from the sites, have them shipped to the Cycle Shop who will build it for you or they will order it for you direct and build it for you to pick up. 

There are some good frames for around $500-$750, also REI has their own house brand of bikes that people swear by. I wanted a new Cannondale myself, got frustrated how little there is to choose from. It's easier to buy a car than a bike these days. 

Good Luck!

Greetings Everyone,

Update: Played tennis 2.5 Hrs on Thurs, Fri-OFF, Sat-2 Hrs Tennis, Sun-Off, 

This Morning: Ran almost 3 miles in about 40 minutes, that felt really good. I ran longer continuously than I have ever done in my life. Tennis tomorrow Morning and Night, we'll see how that plays out. 

All of my issues are self induced meaning I chose to drink alcohol in quantity over the 4th of July Weekend and yes I feel guilty to the point I started running again this morning. I am convinced you burn for a long time after the run because I make a sweaty mess and even after a shower I'm still a little warm 30 minutes later...

I know my hip pointer was because I ran way too fast from a still standing position and now I slowly start to jog and I never go super fast but I definitely am running/jogging, same 3 miles will take me 60 minutes to walk normally, when I jog/run it shaves off a bunch of time. 

Tennis: I have much better movement all over the Court, can get to drop shots I could never track down before. I am reconstructing my serve to involve more hip rotation vs jumping off the ground like a banshee causing ankle issues which take me off my game and also impact my ability to run a few miles between Tennis Days. 

I'm at about 300 Minutes for the month but I need to get back to the MFP. I am going to set a goal although I wouldn't want to weigh myself right now if you paid me...might not be that bad but I don't need to think negative so I'll weigh myself in a few days. 

Goal for July31st/Aug 1st: 179 lbs...the goal is to bust thru the 180 floor. I never thought I could reach 175 or less but I think that is totally doable when I get into August, gotta have some goals. I'm trying to lose 1-2 lbs a week but when you exercise a lot, the weight seems to drop especially if you watch what you eat. 

Be Good to yourselves please, don't beat yourself up if you miss a day or a meal or have a bad run, just shake it off. You're already ahead by being aware you are not helping yourself via food/exercise but you're just 1 good meal or 1 good run or 1 good cycle from being back on track. Let's GO!!!

A few of us did that particular Yoga with Adriene program (the 30-day one called “HOME”) and discussed it in here.  I got the recommendation from this thread and completed it a few months ago.  Enjoyed it a lot and have often considered doing more of hers, but I finished the first one just as my GAF left town.  Maybe soon.

Funny that Fred mentioned Day 6 as months later I still remember that one!  It was the first one that was difficult, and hell yes my abs were sore!  They then got less difficult again for a while, as mentioned.  There were a couple in the 20s that hurt, too.  The only day I didn’t enjoy was Day 30 because she just has you do your own thing.  I did these first thing in the morning, which I always found a fabulous way to start the day.

And yes, she’s hot.  And seemingly very sweet.  I definitely have a girl-crush on her.
I'm doing meditation with Adriene, met some new Tennis players that are more spiritually guided we will say and they are inviting me to join them for Tennis and also to help me enter into meditation which I'm beginning thru Youtube. I assume it's the same person, she does yoga as well. 

Hope your doing well, awesome job on the 100 Days, I think I am going to try that again when we go thru "Winter" here in Florida which really means 80 degrees vs 95 but it's more pleasant grinding outside in Jan vs July right now. I still like to exercise everyday when I can. 

. We're over 100 days into this lockdown or whatever you want to call it and I'm so proud of the people who are killing it during such a stressful time in world events. Good for you. 

For those of us who aren't - today is a great day to start.

I'm back with a vengeance... Coffee for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch, pizza for dinner a chicken wrap for a snack and wine. 

But I'm still well under my calorie goal, I did a yoga session hard enough that it finally cracked me (side planks - ####### hell) and ran a MAF 5k, plus had a bunch of salady goodness and avocado on my wrap, kept myself to one slice of pizza and had a bunch of fun playing with my kid.  

You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight. Exercise helps. Making healthy choices helps. Make sustainable changes and don't just do it for a day or a week but until you meet your goals. It's that simple.

@Otis I get what you are going through. I saw people recommending meditation. I saw @General Malaise offer to mail you cookies because he's the best. I saw people suggest getting exercise with your family. I know you are into rowing because it's a full body exercise. 

Agreed, pretty sure I would be in jail right now 😉  if I hadn't found an outlet to do something positive. 

Clear your PM box of at least a few so folks can talk to you. 

Cheers!

ive never been in to yoga if i want to sit around and fart i just do it on my couch i dont need to get all dressed up and have a special fart mat but hey brohans that is just me take that to the bank 

ok so just kidding i do some yoga now because strava gave me a trophy for it and basically i just chase tropies on strava now apparently also i was pretty bad on the fourth but punished myself for overeating with a super long walk and super long ride in 90 degree heat yesterday so i think im square now so anyhow just joking about yoga good on you all who are in to it take that to the bank downdogos 

Dashed out the door this morning without my normal THC armor. It s u c k e d. But I made it around and the app says my pace was 18:23, my fastest ever.  :oldunsure:

:lmao:
WTG Kev, no shocker but MOP has to be dressed in his workout attire or it just isn't the same. For tennis, I've been buying old school style FILA sets. Next I want to get some old school Wimbledon Whites which is basically white from head to toe including all white shoes. 

Dashed out the door this morning without my normal THC armor. It s u c k e d. But I made it around and the app says my pace was 18:23, my fastest ever.  :oldunsure:

:lmao:

Im not hip to that jive but if you mean that you usually toke on the reefer before going for a walk then you can take that to the dank, cheechongo.
Wow did I royally Eff that up...I'm with Kev though, I wake n 420 often, I can still go out on a walk/light jog and feel great, sometimes being outside in nature is enhanced thru the herb. 

-I thought he was writing about Under Armour, the brand...D'oh!

I :wub:  MOP so much

BTW, if you're going with retro looks, make sure you don't get actual retro shoes. For example, Reebok still makes the Classic Ace, which has the look you seek...and all the support of a shoe that was designed in the 70s. My personal experience is that you do not want to play tennis in them.

Users who are viewing this thread