What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

Awesome. I'm doing the one from 2015 which I guess was the first one she did, she's done a couple others since and I'll probably try those later.  Trying tonstay with the same one the whole time because she seems to organize them so you can rest/stretch the thing she worked yesterday while working something else hard the next day. If you end up doing the same one I am I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts. It sounds like you do more of these things than I do so you may find it easier than I did but man day 6 kicked my butt enough that I'm going to go back to it from time to time just to finally get some real core strength. I have never been a big fitness guy but I'm genuinely enjoying these.
I finished Day 2 today.  The first 2 days were focused on learning the stretches so not all that difficult.  There was one move today that was very challenging to maintain my balance (although she made it look easy).  I like that these workouts are very short (20-30 minutes) so they're easy to slip in throughout the day.  I'm enjoying it even though it's a very different style compared to HIIT/Body Combat.  

. We're over 100 days into this lockdown or whatever you want to call it and I'm so proud of the people who are killing it during such a stressful time in world events. Good for you. 

For those of us who aren't - today is a great day to start.
Whatever good decisions you people have been making, I’ve more than made up for it.  I think I’ve drank more alcohol in the last four months than in the last 3 years prior.  My liver hates me.

👍 to the bolded 

LET’S GO!!!!!

AAABatteries said:
I was the idiot doing Operation Six Pack and 250 squats and pushups a day.  I changed to Operations Six Pack and started drinking 6 IPAs and eating a sleeve of Oreos a day.  
If it makes you feel better, I just ate 1/4 of a jar of peanut butter, after having lasagna for dinner.

That probably only makes me feel better, come to think of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My update:  still drinking quite often.  I’ve logged 10 miles in the canyon and done 3 workouts.  I plan on getting after it tomorrow. Which will satisfy the July goals. 

Tell me the medium t shirts still fit

Not even close but it mocks me from me dresser drawer.  I love the California Surf shirt!
I have to go back a few years to the last exchange. XL/2XL t-shirts that are way too big now. 

I hate to share this but I started buying shirts and boardshorts by this company named Vissla, you can look them up but they have some crazy prints and they use recycled products for a lot of their clothes. My son tipped me off to them and I have been revamping my closet of late. 

Went away for a week and ate/drank at will. The grandparents idea of dieting is only eating ice cream once/day. I did try to exercise everyday, but it just didn’t matter.

I gained 4 pounds, but since I have a colonoscopy on Thursday I am sure I will back below 225 after the fasting and “prep”. 

I've done enough whining in the 10K thread, so hopefully you don't mind me spreading the love here a bit.  

What a total #### weekend.  Re-injured my glute on Friday, could barely walk after.  Took me minutes to just get from the living room to the kitchen.  Couldn't stand on my right leg on its own if you paid me.

Then Saturday, we had to put our 17-year-old cat down.  And I couldn't go into the vet with my wife, because of quarantine rules in Canada (I'm commuting from Texas).  So I'm just sitting alone in the car, while she's inside, trying not to bawl.  ####### sucks driving home with an empty cat carrier.

Normally I would deal with the grief with some trail therapy.  I would have even taken running in the TX heat.  But that wasn't happening.  So what do I do?  Jump right off the no-sugar wagon, HARD.  All I did was sit on the couch, watch ####ty TV, and eat ####ty food.  All of it.  Nonstop.

Weighed myself this morning.  173lbs.   :porked:   Fattest I've been in years.  I probably didn't gain it all this weekend, but I certainly tried. 

And then going through US Preclearance this morning, the officer asks me "so what's with the limp?".  FML.

On a plane now, trying to channel my self-pity into action.  This week needs to be about eating right and finding PT for my ###.  Take control, Zasada.

In spite of Corona, still straight killing it.  Projections vs. last year:

# of steps - 31.54% increase

# of days over 10k steps - 215% increase

# of days over 12k steps - 403% increase

# of days over 15k steps - 266% increase

I'm also down to my lowest weight I've ever recorded (going back to high school - I'm 41 now).  I may have another 5lbs give or take to go.....however my cholesterol keeps going up (Ratio is actually good, but I spiked from last year).  I need to cut out red meat (eat a ####load of salads with red meat) as much as possible and get another blood test in a few months.  All of my other tests check out just fine.

My gym (standard 24 hour anytime fitness) finally opened up, so I need to look up the new protocols.  Any advice for just basic old man workout basically to "not fall out of shape"?
How many days are you looking at going?   I agree with Raider that a push/pull/leg program is ideal for beginners.  You can make that 3 days a week on up to 6.

On a plane now, trying to channel my self-pity into action.  This week needs to be about eating right and finding PT for my ###.  Take control, Zasada.
I’m so sorry about your kitty and that you couldn’t be with your wife for that.

You can and will take control, but I also hope you’ll give yourself a break.  Your post read as if you’re angry at yourself, and you needn’t be.  It’s been a rough stretch, with your injury and your kitty and having to commute from godforsaken Texas and everything else that’s going on in the world.  You deserve some self care, and if that took the form of wallowing for a short time, so be it.  

I've done enough whining in the 10K thread, so hopefully you don't mind me spreading the love here a bit.  

What a total #### weekend.  Re-injured my glute on Friday, could barely walk after.  Took me minutes to just get from the living room to the kitchen.  Couldn't stand on my right leg on its own if you paid me.

Then Saturday, we had to put our 17-year-old cat down.  And I couldn't go into the vet with my wife, because of quarantine rules in Canada (I'm commuting from Texas).  So I'm just sitting alone in the car, while she's inside, trying not to bawl.  ####### sucks driving home with an empty cat carrier.

Normally I would deal with the grief with some trail therapy.  I would have even taken running in the TX heat.  But that wasn't happening.  So what do I do?  Jump right off the no-sugar wagon, HARD.  All I did was sit on the couch, watch ####ty TV, and eat ####ty food.  All of it.  Nonstop.

Weighed myself this morning.  173lbs.   :porked:   Fattest I've been in years.  I probably didn't gain it all this weekend, but I certainly tried. 

And then going through US Preclearance this morning, the officer asks me "so what's with the limp?".  FML.

welcome!  you're amongst friends here.  all of that, is the suck.  get that leg working!  

I finished Day 2 today.  The first 2 days were focused on learning the stretches so not all that difficult.  There was one move today that was very challenging to maintain my balance (although she made it look easy).  I like that these workouts are very short (20-30 minutes) so they're easy to slip in throughout the day.  I'm enjoying it even though it's a very different style compared to HIIT/Body Combat.  
Really looking forward to Friday's report. 

How many days are you looking at going?   I agree with Raider that a push/pull/leg program is ideal for beginners.  You can make that 3 days a week on up to 6.
I'm gonna give the body by science thing a shot.  Bought the book last week and have been reading it.  Went to my gym over the weekend and did a toned down walkthrough of it and will start this week.  We'll see

I'm gonna give the body by science thing a shot.  Bought the book last week and have been reading it.  Went to my gym over the weekend and did a toned down walkthrough of it and will start this week.  We'll see
I do it like this, all on machines:

Leg press

Chest press

Seated row

Shoulder press (use handles that set your palms opposing each other, unless you're Lifter Dude and are aware of the shoulder risk)

Lat pulldown

If you follow the BBS protocol, you'll be done in like 25 minutes tops.

I do it like this, all on machines:

Leg press

Chest press

Seated row

Shoulder press (use handles that set your palms opposing each other, unless you're Lifter Dude and are aware of the shoulder risk)

Lat pulldown

If you follow the BBS protocol, you'll be done in like 25 minutes tops.
If you turn your hands in on the shoulder press it's going to be more a front delt move and will take most if not all the upper back out of it.  If you are already doing machine chest press then you now have too much front delt volume.  (And nearly no rear delt to balance it...)  This would be concerning long term depending on the grip and grip spacing on the other row activities.

Shoulder press machines are problematic because everyone has a unique shoulder spacing.  

A seated DB press with back support is very safe.  I would even say standing has better usefulness for beginners because you can turn it into a push press on the last few reps.

Went away for a week and ate/drank at will. The grandparents idea of dieting is only eating ice cream once/day. I did try to exercise everyday, but it just didn’t matter.

I gained 4 pounds, but since I have a colonoscopy on Thursday I am sure I will back below 225 after the fasting and “prep”. 
:lmao:  

The elderly are so sweet but OMG do they eat terrible mostly. I know Seniors that live off junk food, literally that's all they eat. 

I got a hip pointer a couple weeks back but it's helped me take better care in stretching and also not going PAST a certain point. I could run a little faster or reach a little further for some tennis shots but I live to fight another point and save myself. 75-80% of my max effort is more than enough to get my heart rate up and get a workout.

Played 90 minutes of Singles! this morning....Played another 2.5 hours of Doubles tonight, I literally had to throw a game(intentionally lose) in the morning 6-0, 6-1 and then got a real run for my money tonight 6-4, 7-6 long games, pretty epic. 

540 Minutes for July including 240 minutes today alone...working off that 4th of July. Wife is back home FULL TIME, so she booked me for a morning walk tomorrow, poor thing, so hard on her trying to attempt exercise when she is being yanked back and forth at her hospital. I feel bad for her. I'm going to try and get us both back on the MFP, we need to be in meditation or this could turn into Otis' Attic real quick. 

Cheers everyone

After a lengthy search I was able to find a a Concept2 rower.  It’s an older Model D  with the PM3 monitor but for $150 I got a steal. 

I am a rowing newbie so if anyone  has good workouts to suggest, websites to check out etc I would love it if you shared them. 

Tonight was interesting...wife has not been outside with me in several weeks. She asked if I would walk around tonight, I said no problem as long as you don't mind when I take off running for a bit and double back, it just add more distance to what I am doing. It's 3 miles around, I went about 4.5 miles in under 60 Minutes, It felt like I ran most of the way with a few stops, the last couple of stretches I could really feel it. There's a runner's high no doubt about it, not sure I have felt all of it just yet but I can see how it makes people feel like they accomplished something by 7am before most roll out of bed. Or like tonight, what a way to ensure I didn't do much damage during the day and if I did sneak a snack, that run will evaporate half a donut pretty darn quick. 

I start slow and when I feel warmed up I will jog a little faster. My wife could not believe how sweaty I got and how different we looked when we arrived back home 😆. Feels like was over 100 at 8:00, yikes! 

600 Minutes and counting

After a lengthy search I was able to find a a Concept2 rower.  It’s an older Model D  with the PM3 monitor but for $150 I got a steal. 

I am a rowing newbie so if anyone  has good workouts to suggest, websites to check out etc I would love it if you shared them. 
Welcome to the club! I've had the best success rowing in a "MAF" style (google it / search through this thread for more) for 30-45 minutes (consistent 10Ks is probably the sweet spot for me). The lower HR approach is my favorite because I'm not a complete wreck after the workout and can go shower and proceed with life in a reasonable amount of time. I've also gone through a few cycles of this plan in the past and at the end of any of the "interval" workouts was a mess and had to wait a very long time for the ol' core body temperature to decrease to a manageable level. 

Key is going to be form - tons of videos and such you can find on YouTube / the concept2 forums. If you are worried can take a video and post there - I haven't but the threads I've checked out everyone has been gentle/kind yet helpful in their reviews.

Wow. Nice find. 

that is a steal for a concept 2 nice work bromigo this morning i rode my bike 20 miles straight for the first time ever and i feel pretty darn good about it but then at cardiac rehab this afternoon they were on me for not eating as many calories as i am burning in exercise a day so that was a bummer so now i gots to eats the foods a little more and second i get to eat salt again because even after working out i was only like 90 over 45 of something so they are happy im kicking butt but say i need to kick a little less of it i guess take that to the bank bromigos 

Sick deal. 

Get a HR monitor. Stay in the aerobic zone and keep your heart rate there while rowing as best you can over longer and longer distances. 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k. Sick workout. Make sure your form is solid. If you haven’t rowed before watch some vids online.

Good luck. Inspiring me to row tomorrow morning. I’m stuck in a rut. 

Ok so I got cocky today, did yoga with adrienne day 11, which is all stretchy and not very worky, and decided to do day 6 again for that abs workout. ####. Everything hurts. Then I went to the treadmill for my 5k and ended up walking 30 minutes and running 15. 

So of course I went upstairs and opened a bottle of wine. 

Then a snack.

I'm going to pretend today didn't happen and move on. Fml.

:lol:     It’s part of the Les Mills workouts.  I’ll provide more detail tomorrow night after my first workout.
It's essentially a barbell workout that uses light weights (typically less than 20 lbs) but mixes up a bunch of different strength exercises (e.g. dead lifts, bicep curls, triceps, shoulder press, etc).  You do it for an hour and at a fairly fast pace so it's much a test of stamina as it is strength.  It doesn't compare to the evilness that is Grit (which I did tonight).  

Ok so I got cocky today, did yoga with adrienne day 11, which is all stretchy and not very worky, and decided to do day 6 again for that abs workout. ####. Everything hurts. Then I went to the treadmill for my 5k and ended up walking 30 minutes and running 15. 

So of course I went upstairs and opened a bottle of wine. 

Then a snack.

I'm going to pretend today didn't happen and move on. Fml.
Is it just me or does Adrienne leave subtle sexual undertones left and right?

It's probably just me because I'm sick.

Get a HR monitor. Stay in the aerobic zone and keep your heart rate there while rowing as best you can over longer and longer distances. 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k. Sick workout. Make sure your form is solid. If you haven’t rowed before watch some vids online. 
Any HR monitors you would recommend?

Any HR monitors you would recommend?

Do you have a fitbit/apple watch?
FWIW, I would recommend one of the many Garmin watches.  Mostly great HR detection (much better than FitBit), depending on the model.  Most can track tons of activities (running, cycling, rowing, etc).  Some smartwatch capabilities (notifications).  Great battery life.

I tried an Android smartwatch, but got tired of the constant need to charge it.  I couldn't even wear it at night (sleep tracking) because it needed to be charged every day.  The Garmin watches can go a week+ on a single charge (less if using the GPS tracking).

I have a Fenix 5+ (not cheap) and love it.  The Forerunner series is great, and cheaper than the Fenix line.

Users who are viewing this thread