What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

MAC_32 said:
Added challenge for the 100 push up crowd - don't just do 100 per day. Try to beat your prior performance. I started at 100 towards the beginning of this thing and before my injury got up to 160 (4 sets of 40). So if you get up to 4 sets of 25 don't just keep repeating - try to complete it in 3 sets...or stick with 4 and increase set one to 30 then see how far you can go. 
i vary mine.  i'll do 50/25 incline/25 decline  50/50  25/50/25  60/40  65/35.   i could easily do more than 100.  but, it's tedious.  and 100 is a nice round number and easy to add. :D  

i've been doing the decline ones off the bath tub edge and that #### is hard.  20" off the ground.

i haven't done more than 65 straight.  i'll give it a go after 30 days and see if i can knock out 100 straight, regular push ups.

She actually talked about this and said one of her big goals with her later programs is to talk people through the moves better so they don't have to look at the screen. Maybe one of the more recent series would be better for you. 
in the yoga classes i take at lifetime, the instructor just fires out the names of the poses and rarely demonstrates them, unless it's an odd one.  that's why i'm lost half the time.   :lmao:

but there's a rhythm to the flow classes.  i usually know where adrienne is going and rarely have to look at the screen.  i've found that i actually have a rudimentary base of yoga in place.  which makes me happy.

i vary mine.  i'll do 50/25 incline/25 decline  50/50  25/50/25  60/40  65/35.   i could easily do more than 100.  but, it's tedious.  and 100 is a nice round number and easy to add. :D  

i've been doing the decline ones off the bath tub edge and that #### is hard.  20" off the ground.

i haven't done more than 65 straight.  i'll give it a go after 30 days and see if i can knock out 100 straight, regular push ups.
65 straight is impressive.  I don’t know if I could do that many straight.  I typically go with 4 sets of 25.  Never thought to add in incline/decline.  I recently bought a step for my Les Mills workouts so that should work nicely for pushups

I’d be lucky if I could go 10 or 12 decent pushups straight right now.  Back as a younger and handsomer man I banged out sets of 25 without incident.  This is a worthy endeavor I believe.  

65 straight is impressive.  I don’t know if I could do that many straight.  I typically go with 4 sets of 25.  Never thought to add in incline/decline.  I recently bought a step for my Les Mills workouts so that should work nicely for pushups
Decline/incline usually one of the two is gonna give you wrist issues.  Decline pushups are my go to right now as I can't seem to get a setup for actual dips at home I can like.  

I am trying to see if I can master some of the freaky ones Jeff cavalier does but nobody got time for that. 

Decline/incline usually one of the two is gonna give you wrist issues.  Decline pushups are my go to right now as I can't seem to get a setup for actual dips at home I can like.  

I am trying to see if I can master some of the freaky ones Jeff cavalier does but nobody got time for that. 
wrists are annoyed occasionally, simply from 100 a day.  plus downward dog in yoga.  i do a lot of the yoga stuff on my fists.  zero issues noticed from either decline or incline. :shrug:  

Good morning yoga people. 30 days starts today for those of us doing this together, but anyone can start at any time. 

For those of us doing the beginner flow, this is day one of the original 2015 30 days of yoga. Highly recommend it for strength and flexibility and most days are 20-30 minutes so it's very doable. 

Beginner https://youtu.be/oBu-pQG6sTY

For those looking for something more challenging , we are doing the June 2020 Courage program.  I'll post day one below but also here is the YouTube playlist 

Courage https://youtu.be/KyBmGfI5OWU

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats@Dickies @Ministry of Pain

Good morning yoga people. 30 days starts today for those of us doing this together, but anyone can start at any time. 

For those of us doing the beginner flow, this is day one of the original 2015 30 days of yoga. Highly recommend it for strength and flexibility and most days are 20-30 minutes so it's very doable. 

For those looking for something more challenging , we are doing the June 2020 Courage program.  I'll post day one below but also here is the YouTube playlist 

@krista4 @fred_1_15301 @Otis @DA RAIDERS @eaganwildcats@Dickies @Ministry of Pain
Beginner for me. 

Same. Already got in my morning row (and first 10 push-ups!). I hope Adriene is gentle....
Day 1 is very gentle. Some seated stretching and lunges, a little downward facing dog but not too much.  It's literally called ease into it. It gets more challenging over time. 

wrists are annoyed occasionally, simply from 100 a day.  plus downward dog in yoga.  i do a lot of the yoga stuff on my fists.  zero issues noticed from either decline or incline. :shrug:  
Wrists are usually my issue with too many push ups over an extended period of time. I'm surprised I've not encountered that problem since the pandemic hit. Without gym access not sure what I'll do should that happen. 

I can’t do the pushup challenge right now.  I used to do 100 daily pushups but I’m currently experiencing left shoulder pain and I don’t want to cause any additional harm.  I still get in plenty of pushups through Les Mills.

I’ll probably do the beginners yoga because I can’t commit much more than 30 minutes a day (since my Les Mills workouts are typically 45-60 minutes).

Right, but is it better at buidling strength than a 5 set program with rest days?  Is it less likely to get me hurt?
Let me give a fuller answer to this. I am somewhat confident that, for a given volume of work, a beginner can build strength faster without rest days. I am extremely confident that a person is less likely to get hurt without rest days.

You can build strength in two basic ways: (1) your brain can learn how to recruit a greater number of muscle fibers more efficiently, and (2) your individual muscle fibers can physically adapt to improve their contractile strength.

With a beginner, early gains are mostly in the first category. In this sense, strength is a skill, similar to playing piano, improving your jump shot, or learning to juggle. Skills are generally acquired more efficiently with lots of short practice periods rather than a few long periods. If you want to spend six hours a week learning to play piano, for example, you're much better off practicing for an hour a day six times than you are practicing two hours a day three times. Better still if you practice three times a day for 20 minutes each.

You get diminishing marginal returns within each practice session as you start to get fatigued and are no longer fresh.

The same goes for practicing your pushups. When it comes to neurological (as opposed to muscular) adaptations, if you're going to do 300 pushups a week, you're better off doing 50 a day six times rather than 100 a day three times. Better still if you spread those 50 out over multiple workouts a day day instead of doing them all in the same workout. You'll be fresher for each rep that way.

The benefit of spreading things out is more obvious when it comes to avoiding injury. You're most likely to get injured when you're fatigued. You can minimize fatigue by spreading things out as much as possible. I'm not as sore as I expected to be after walking 50 miles, but I'm still walking with a bit of a limp because the area behind my left knee is pretty tender. I can say with close to 100% confidence that injury is much less likely walking 10 miles a day for five days than it is walking 50 miles in a day and then resting for four. Same principle with pushups.

(Once your beginner gains are used up and you're mostly improving strength through muscular adaptation rather than neurological adaptation, there's a good case to be made for intentionally fatiguing your muscles a lot more instead of spreading everything out as much as possible -- which means concentrating your volume into fewer, more intense workouts. But even extremely advanced strength athletes can do very well on a protocol with no rest days. The national teams in the Iron Curtain countries famously did quite well in Olympic lifts and power lifts while training every lift every day, no rest days. It's possible that they also benefited from taking extra vitamins.)

There's also another factor, which likely varies among individuals:

If not including rest days isn't the biggest mistake people make with exercising it is right there.
I think the biggest mistake people make with exercising is not doing it enough.

For me, personally, it's extremely helpful for me, if I'm going to stick with something, to make it a daily habit. If I take days off by design, I'm much more likely to take more and more days off and eventually drop it. This is my own issue that won't apply to everyone, but I don't think I'm entirely unique in this respect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggest mistake people make with exercising is not doing it enough.

For me, personally, it's extremely helpful for me, if I'm going to stick with something, to make it a daily habit. If I take days off by design, I'm much more likely to take more and more days off and eventually drop it. This is my own issue that won't apply to everyone, but I don't think I'm entirely unique in this respect, either.
I'm sure @MAC_32 will also respond to this, but "rest days" don't mean "do nothing".  For example, with relation to running, "rest days" mostly refer to easy runs or recovery runs.  You still run, but at a very easy pace without significant volume.

In terms of weight lifting, it means exercising another group of muscles.  If you do chest one day, you shouldn't be doing it again for a couple days to allow the muscles to repair.  That doesn't mean you don't do shoulders or back or biceps/triceps. 

Now, if you're talking minimal weight and just more repetitions, yes, there is some muscle memory involved in that conditioning and you aren't really tearing/repairing muscle fibers at a significant extent.  But you're also limited in the gains you'll achieve other than learning good form.  As a beginner, that's important.  But it will only get you so far. 

Rest mostly means "do something else" or "do what you were doing a much lower intensity/frequency/volume". 

Have fun with the yoga.  Wife and I did the first two days of the 30-day over the weekend.  

The first one was pretty easy.  The second one wasn't bad but high lunges are hard for me so there was some work in that one.  Still not too bad.  My contractors aren't going to be able to start today, so I'm going to keep going with it until the contractors interrupt me.  

I will say the first two sessions have had me sore in odd places.  I also did the 100 push-ups challenge for the month of July (stopped before it was done).  Even after doing over 80 push-ups in some days in July, the first two yoga sessions really worked my shoulders.  Those of you committing to doing both at the same time may regret it.

For me, personally, it's extremely helpful for me, if I'm going to stick with something, to make it a daily habit. If I take days off by design, I'm much more likely to take more and more days off and eventually drop it. This is my own issue that won't apply to everyone, but I don't think I'm entirely unique in this respect, either.
Like anything, it depends. What's your experience level? injury history? when have you succeeded? failed? what are your current goals? how do you intend to attain them? what sorta barriers do you anticipate could prevent you from attaining them? Etc. These are the sorta questions that need answered to figure out what's best for you. Generally speaking, stressing a particular area of your body day-after-day leads to plateaus and injuries. Key words - generally speaking. Nothing's absolute when it comes to exercise. Except not doing any of it being a bad thing. And when I say rest day I don't necessarily mean do nothing (@gianmarco>hi). I mean rest particular body part(s) - I won't repeat what he said but he pretty much nailed it.

Like you, I don't take (m)any rest days. I've done 50 straight days running twice in the last 8 months. In both instances they were amidst my offseason. They were primarily of the low impact variety - keeping my HR in the 130's 80+% of the time and rarely going for more than an hour. I also lifted amidst these stretches, so I was doing 2-a-days. But I never lifted on consecutive days. If I could control it I tried to do 3 days in between. My purpose during these stretches was to maintain strength and accumulate miles. As the weeks piled up fatigue settled in and I eventually tapped out - looking at my logs I did one day of complete rest, then an easy 2-a-day (short, easy run + short, easy lift), a something of substance run, one more easy 2-a-day, one more day of complete rest, then got going again. 

But when I got to the actual training program I began taking more days off running. I was no longer running with an HR in the 130's 80+ of the time and I was running for quite a bit more than an hour twice per week. My body needed more rest days because I was applying more stress. I try to schedule that day of rest as total rest, but the schedule isn't always accommodating so at times I'd do one less 2-a-day and lift on my rest day running.

And I think that last part is a vital one for beginners to absorb and apply to themselves. What's a stress to you or someone else is not necessarily a stress for me. I'm not going to name any names, but I'm never surprised when someone gets 6-8 weeks give or take into a particular routine then suddenly comes down with something. It's a common tale, one I experienced myself.

From 2008-2011 I exercised 6x per week, but didn't run nearly as much as I do now. It was a combination of many different activities and even my Sunday rest day wasn't always a rest day - sometimes hungover MAC was convinced to play volleyball. But as life changed early last decade I decided to start running more and do less of everything else. I thought it'd be an easy transition - and I was very, very wrong. It took years of trial and error for me to figure out this new stress I was applying to myself. Just when I thought I was nearing a breakthrough, BAM, another injury. No matter what combination applied it was plateau and injury then plateau and injury. I eventually figured it out 4 years later. I was applying a new stress to my body, so in order to sustain growth I needed to rest more. Sometimes that meant more easy running and other times it meant not at all. And now running every day does not necessarily mean I need rest days. Because a significant number of my runs are not stressful, in fact many of them are refreshing if anything. But it took time to get here.

So I'm not a beginner anymore. And I think the most important thing for any beginner is sustaining health. That way this habit becomes sustainable - just a part of every day life. And their best chance of accomplishing that has a regimen that includes rest days.

Im sure most of know Lambskin is quite a fatty.  Porked up to 295 at one point during quarantine.  Stopped drinking 3 or 4 beers every night and that helped me drop some

started a low carb diet last week, down to 280

going to keep the low carb going for awhile (not going full keto, too restrictive).  Basically have eliminated bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, chips, crackers, sweets, etc.  but I’m not going to freak out if a condiment or sauce has 3 carbs in it, and will still drink a few beers (but focus shifting to liquor and white claws)

anyway any good recipes would be appreciated 

Let me give a fuller answer to this. I am somewhat confident that, for a given volume of work, a beginner can build strength faster without rest days. I am extremely confident that a person is less likely to get hurt without rest days.

And I think the most important thing for any beginner is sustaining health. That way this habit becomes sustainable - just a part of every day life. And their best chance of accomplishing that has a regimen that includes rest days.
Good post. I do disagree with your very last sentence if my bold statement above is a qualifier.

You will reduce your chance of injury by reducing your volume of work. You can reduce volume by taking rest days. You're more likely to get hurt doing 100 pushups a day than you are doing 100 pushups every other day. But you're doing only half as much volume in the latter case. My claim is that you'd also reduce your chance of getting hurt by doing 50 pushups a day instead of doing 100 pushups every other day. (The risk of injury from pushups should be pretty low in any case.)

You can build strength in two basic ways: (1) your brain can learn how to recruit a greater number of muscle fibers more efficiently, and (2) your individual muscle fibers can physically adapt to improve their contractile strength.

With a beginner, early gains are mostly in the first category. In this sense, strength is a skill, similar to playing piano, improving your jump shot, or learning to juggle. Skills are generally acquired more efficiently with lots of short practice periods rather than a few long periods. If you want to spend six hours a week learning to play piano, for example, you're much better off practicing for an hour a day six times than you are practicing two hours a day three times. Better still if you practice three times a day for 20 minutes each.

You get diminishing marginal returns within each practice session as you start to get fatigued and are no longer fresh.

The same goes for practicing your pushups. When it comes to neurological (as opposed to muscular) adaptations, if you're going to do 300 pushups a week, you're better off doing 50 a day six times rather than 100 a day three times. Better still if you spread those 50 out over multiple workouts a day day instead of doing them all in the same workout. You'll be fresher for each rep that way.
As a running nerd who has neglected doing any workouts besides running your post is encouraging to see as it is lines up with the approach I started on June 30. 

I’m a skinny weak guy with long arms so pushups aren’t my strength, so I started out attempting 3 sets of 5 every day for a week. The next week I did 3X7, the following week did 3x10 and at the end of the week I didn’t feel as though the pushups were easy enough move up so the following week I did 3x10.  This week I am on my 2nd week of 3x15.

For me I tried to apply some of my lessons learned from running, stay healthy and be consistent over time.  I’ll admit that I know very little about weight training or pushups, but I think this is a pretty low risk approach where I am fully under control and not close to failure. So far I am happy with my results as they are getting much easier. 

For me, personally, it's extremely helpful for me, if I'm going to stick with something, to make it a daily habit. If I take days off by design, I'm much more likely to take more and more days off and eventually drop it. This is my own issue that won't apply to everyone, but I don't think I'm entirely unique in this respect.
This definitely applies to me as well, I need to run 7 days a week and I don’t have the discipline to do so something like pushups every other day.

Nice. Good luck all.  Been practicing for a number of years now and it really is the solution to almost all of my physical issues when I practice regularly.  

OK, I did Day One of "Courage" a little bit ago.  Definitely would not recommend for a beginner, but I think people like @DA RAIDERS will be happy with the increased difficulty.  I was OK on most of it, but I didn't even attempt the part where you lift your leg while doing the side plank.  We did have these in the plank program I did before, so I know I can, but at that point in this video my wrists were too sore to feel confident in trying it.  I also was not able to keep my leg raised up for the full time when that was an option in the lunges.  Both of these items that I didn't completely cover are just "alternate" poses, so don't worry if you can't do them either.

My favorite part, of course, was when she said, "If you have a dog in front of you, you can pet the dog.  Or if you don't, you can pet an imaginary dog," which I did.  I miss the intro and outro music and video from the "HOME" program, which I preferred to this.  :(  

OK, I did Day One of "Courage" a little bit ago.  Definitely would not recommend for a beginner, but I think people like @DA RAIDERS will be happy with the increased difficulty.  I was OK on most of it, but I didn't even attempt the part where you lift your leg while doing the side plank.  We did have these in the plank program I did before, so I know I can, but at that point in this video my wrists were too sore to feel confident in trying it.  I also was not able to keep my leg raised up for the full time when that was an option in the lunges.  Both of these items that I didn't completely cover are just "alternate" poses, so don't worry if you can't do them either.

My favorite part, of course, was when she said, "If you have a dog in front of you, you can pet the dog.  Or if you don't, you can pet an imaginary dog," which I did.  I miss the intro and outro music and video from the "HOME" program, which I preferred to this.  :(  
Lol I did the exact same.  Thinking about getting a dog just so I can participate.  It's like goat yoga.  Side planks are my weakest position but I'm getting better at them which means this is working. Amazed how much of a tricep workout i got just from Charlie's Angeling for half an hour.  I sweated more today than almost any day in the first 30 but that might also be because I accidentally overdrank last night. Regardless it was a very solid workout and makes me a little nervous about the next 29 days. Fortunately I did my pushups yesterday so today is a planned rest day (suck it maurile).

“Hey Otis, what’s the worst possible position for you?  Like, the very least comfortable?”

”Oh, definitely Indian style.”

“Great let’s do that for 30 mins then.”

So, I’m not flexible.  Like, at all.  Day 1 of Adriene, even the part where you just sit there, was kind of terrible.  Really looking forward to 29 more days of this...

Oh and I’m only 20 push-ups in.  But I’ll see if I can bang out some more over the course of the day.  But at least I’ve rowed, and I did 30 minutes of criss cross applesauce with Adriene, and I’ve done 20 push-ups at minimum.  And I’ve eaten IF.  Already a good day,

“Hey Otis, what’s the worst possible position for you?  Like, the very least comfortable?”

So, I’m not flexible.  Like, at all.  Day 1 of Adriene, even the part where you just sit there, was kind of terrible.  Really looking forward to 29 more days of this...
I’m with you, GB. We’ll get through it. 

Sit on a block or blanket or bolster in those seated positions.  I’m the exact same way

Good post. I do disagree with your very last sentence if my bold statement above is a qualifier.

You will reduce your chance of injury by reducing your volume of work. You can reduce volume by taking rest days. You're more likely to get hurt doing 100 pushups a day than you are doing 100 pushups every other day. But you're doing only half as much volume in the latter case. My claim is that you'd also reduce your chance of getting hurt by doing 50 pushups a day instead of doing 100 pushups every other day. (The risk of injury from pushups should be pretty low in any case.)
This is where goal definition and application to one's self is paramount.

I recall you writing before that you fail to see the point in working out to the point in which you feel the effects later. This is an extremely important factor when considering what's best for each individual. There is not anything wrong with your goal, but it is not aligned with most beginners. Most beginners have loftier goals and do too much too fast too soon. This is why rest days are so important for a generic beginner. They push themselves on the on days to the point in which they have to rest so their body is ready next time. This is the unquantifiable stress I was referring to. If you're not pushing yourself to similar limits then you are not stressing yourself like they are. So rest is not as important.  

With this approach I suspect you will plateau at some point, but given what you've written about exercise I suspect you will also be content with it. That's a good thing.

Sit on a block or blanket or bolster in those seated positions.  I’m the exact same way
@Otis this.  my left knee, no worky very well.  elevating your butt will help a lot.

speaking of that left knee, first day of courage, lets squat on our toes.   :hot:   i looked like a constipated baboon.  hands on the ground in front of me, knees splayed out.  doing everything i can to get some weight on that knee.  meanwhile, i convinced lady raiders to do this challenge with me :pickle: .  she is a bikram yoga, bad ###.  that pose is a bikram pose.  she's over there looking like a ballerina.  i'm grunting and groaning trying not to #### myself   :lmao:   

p.s. side planks are the worst.  i didn't raise my leg either.

p.p.s. i did day 15, of the first challenge, immediately after courage, day 1.  i achieved my goal of longer and harder.  NTTAWWT ;)  

p.p.p.s.  charlie's angel plus 100 push did a number on my shoulders.  good times.

1500 push ups in 15 days

Working out like Jeff Cavalier will make you a beast.    He trains smart and extremely hard.    

I'm sort of a convert to less rest days in the quarantine period.  Spreading out volume over 6 days or more smartly is big.  So instead of 15 sets of chest on two days, it's now coming on 3 or 4 days.  Massive difference in recovery.  I can't say I see some huge size gains or strength gains yet, but overall I feel better between sessions.  And at some point that matters. 

She has a day in the original 30 where you're just warrior twoing for like 20 minutes and by the end my arms were jelly. It sneaks up on you because the shapes seem easy enough but there's a lot of strength building from those sustained poses, not just repetitive movements. 

Beginner for me. 
Well that was certainly the right call. Can tell this is going to be no picnic for me. Right wrist, left knee, and right ankle all have some old injuries I can feel at various points. Probably good to stretch em out though. Also, even the limited plank work had me shaking. Gotta strengthen the shoulders, core, and...everything else  :)  

One down, 29 to go. 

Well that was certainly the right call. Can tell this is going to be no picnic for me. Right wrist, left knee, and right ankle all have some old injuries I can feel at various points. Probably good to stretch em out though. Also, even the limited plank work had me shaking. Gotta strengthen the shoulders, core, and...everything else  :)  

One down, 29 to go. 
Agree with all.  BTW, it dawned on me at one point as I was trying to keep my girth elevated and my muscles were shaking, this would be a helluva lot easier if I didn’t have this extra 40lbs with me...

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
fred, the "beginner" you gave everyone is not the same you did before, right?  I had done "HOME," and I think you did, too?

fred, the "beginner" you gave everyone is not the same you did before, right?  I had done "HOME," and I think you did, too?
The one I did was the original one called 30 Days of Yoga with Adriene, from 2015. It's not the same one you did, although Home also does core on day 6.

May have to pack it in after 50 push ups.  Everything hurts.  There are sore muscles in my ### cheeks that I never knew existed.
Who could have predicted you'd be butt hurt and quit after half a day?

Seriously don't listen to maurile he's not human. Take a rest day from pushups tomorrow and do the hundred pushups program I posted. Or hold off and just do the yoga.  Honestly, after a couple weeks you'll find your pushup game is improved just from the yoga. It is a legit workout. 

Users who are viewing this thread