What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (11 Viewers)

First workout in the books.  Already, I can tell I enjoy this about a million times more than running. So there's that.

Decided I was gonna go for 20 minutes the first time out.  Did the first 10 minutes at about 20 strokes per minute,  ratcheted that up to about 25 for the next 5 and then went for a full sprint (which ended being about 31 per minute, while trying to maintain good technique) for the last 5.   Had the damper on 3 to start (apparently 4-5 is more what real water feels like?)

Recorded myself so I could evaluate technique afterwards. Watching it back (and comparing to guys on youtube)....not terrible. I need to focus a little more on leaning my upper body to 11 o'clock at the top of the pull. I also think my hands should be finishing a LITTLE higher at the top. (again, just based on what I'm seeing on youtube) And I just need to be smoother, but that will hopefully come with practice.

Felt really good when I was done. Not as sweaty or winded as I thought I'd be (after 6 months of almost no cardio) but I'm sure that will come with a longer workout and a better pace.  Knocked out just under 3,700 meters.   Forearms a little sore (probably partially due to not getting enough lean at the top) Back feels really good though (which is my biggest concern and area I hope to improve)

Definitely think this could work out. long term.  Pretty sure I'm gonna need gloves though. (and maybe a better seat cushion)

So its basically been a month since my first row. Still liking it very much and definitely seeing results.  I've probably lost 7 or 8 lbs (forgot to weigh myself at the start, but I have a pretty good sense of where I was. Was nice to see a number under 180 lbs for the first time in probably 7 or 8 years)  and I've definitely noticed that my face and midsection (which is generally where I gain/lose weight first) are thinner/tighter. Still a lot of work to do (abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym, and I dont eat like a 37 year old needs to in order to have a 6 pack) but I'm happy with my gains so far.

The best thing by far (and my main motivation for doing this) is my back pain. I feel SOOOO much better/stronger there. I've always had bouts with back pain, even going back to when I was a teenager. Once or twice a year, I'd wake up and just not be able to move for a couple of days. (apparently I have weak hip flexors.....)  Then it turned into 3 or 4 times a year (for a week at a time). And before you knew it, I was feeling tight basically ever day until I got in a hot shower and got loosened up. So yeah, action had to be taken. Its still not perfect, but no pain after the workouts and its been feeling good in the mornings (other than last week after I had to move a bunch of furniture around my house).

In terms of the actual workouts....I've basically been doing a mix of 5000 meter rows, just rowing for 25 mins or some "sprint" days where I do like a 500 meter  warmup and then a fast 2500. My times/distance have been improving but I know I'm capable of more. I'm just someone who has ALWAYS hated endurance/cardio workouts, so when I get into it and start getting a little fatigued, my mind just tells me to slow down/quit. I've been powering through it, but I know I'm leaving some meters on the table so to speak. I feel pretty gassed at the end but perfectly fine like 5 minutes later, so I know I've got some gas in the tank.

Powered through that a little bit better tonight and rowed a 21: 23 5,000 meters, about 50 seconds faster than my previous best. Obviously not world beating, but much better (one of my goals is to break 20 mins by the end of the year)  So yeah, I think its safe to say I've probably been dogging it a little bit. Just gotta train my mind to suck it up and go faster.

Pretty sure I'm going to find a more guided program to do starting next week (I know Oats suggested downloading Asensei, so maybe I'll look into that). I just think I need something a little more varied/structured as opposed to me just saying "I'll cut off 10 seconds this week" until I can't cut anymore.

Still super happy I did this and look forward to having this outlet during the winter once golf (and the associated walking) is no longer an option. My basketball league also re-starts next week (After a 9 month COVID hiatus) so I'm excited to see how I can perform now that I'm doing some actual exercise.  (and have a mostly working lower back)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't check in here much anymore, but I had to laugh and share.  I'm doing Adriene's November yoga calendar and saw that tomorrow is entitled, "Yoga for When You're in a Bad Mood," and I thought "Could I just do this one every day?"  Then I saw Thursday is "Yoga for Suffering" and thought that might be even more apt.  :lol:

Still following along (except push-ups and Otis haranguing) here and hope you're all well.

I don't check in here much anymore, but I had to laugh and share.  I'm doing Adriene's November yoga calendar and saw that tomorrow is entitled, "Yoga for When You're in a Bad Mood," and I thought "Could I just do this one every day?"  Then I saw Thursday is "Yoga for Suffering" and thought that might be even more apt.  :lol:

Still following along (except push-ups and Otis haranguing) here and hope you're all well.
you are missed

Push-ups are over.  Come back!

anyone have any good stretching  or yoga intro stuff?  Looking for 10 minutes a day at the beginning.  I have a mat, just looking for something to do in my home office

Ok so on the good side of the coin I've done a ton of walking and yard work and I've made some awesome low calorie and/or healthy foods like the root vegetable bowl with pomegranate seeds i made today. 

On the bad side I wanted to go for a row and a run last night but I also wanted to go downstairs and get a drink and I also wanted to stay upstairs and go to sleep so I compromised by putting in my gym clothes and going to sleep in them. I might also have just said #### it and worn them all day today because 2020.  At least I didn't drink.

And back on the good side of the coin I really did plan to row/run tonight.  And actually I had a nice run... until my knee checked whether I was aware I'm in my mid 40s. Message received!

And back on the bad side I chose self medicating with a bottle of Coppola Pinot Noir. 

Tldr - 11 days of November and I'm at 10 hours and 40 minutes. My lips currently feel tingly and my cheeks are a little rosy. We'll see how my knee feels tomorrow.  

So I signed up for some thing called Optavia. Someone I work with is doing it and I figured what the hell. 

Sounds like it’s totally stupid. But let’s face it that’s never scared me off a diet before.  Basically you pay a lot of money and they send you protein bars you eat all day and then you’re supposed to eat meat and greens for dinner.   Now I got some diet coach texting me every day and asking to do an intro phone call and I’m like “look lady I don’t need no coach, I know all about diets, I’m Otis, and if anything Bfred is my coach” *click*

Stuff is arriving today. I’ll give it a shot. What do I have to lose. 
My brother lost 60 pounds on this. His wife lost 104. Much healthier now. Though I have to avoid constant FB posts with recipes of zoodles and such. Sounds like MLM at its finest. But hey - likely to follow it if paying. 

I’ve been working till midnight for a week doing Board and Long Range Plan writing stuff. Other than 1 long walk a day with my dog no other exercise. And I write better with a good glass of red. Bad combo. Hitting Peleton hard tomorrow. 90 minute glorious massage at least has me loose and I’m eating OK. But feel soft/stressed

Rest is so important. Haven't been getting to bed on time, set out super early today and felt pretty good about myself and my pace. I just looked and it was 20:44 :bag:  

Of course I felt good, wandering around the hood with just the trolling motor on.

anyone have any good stretching  or yoga intro stuff?  Looking for 10 minutes a day at the beginning.  I have a mat, just looking for something to do in my home office
Youtube - Yoga with adriene - 30 days of yoga (2015) is a great starter routine, most of them are about 20 minutes and you can skip the intro and finish if you really want.  Almost everyone in this thread did this in the last year or so and we all really like her style.  She also has shorter targeted workouts like yoga for runners or yoga for golfers or yoga for sore legs. 

Damn - 2 months is a long ban.  I would definitely guess it was related to the election thread lol.  Hope this doesn't hinder his new diet plan.
I hate politics.   I hate that Oats got sucked into a losing game.   Hope he doesn’t indulge more over the holidays since he will have even more free time now.  

bostonfred said:
Youtube - Yoga with adriene - 30 days of yoga (2015) is a great starter routine, most of them are about 20 minutes and you can skip the intro and finish if you really want.  Almost everyone in this thread did this in the last year or so and we all really like her style.  She also has shorter targeted workouts like yoga for runners or yoga for golfers or yoga for sore legs. 
Yep, I am on day 9 of the first yoga with Adriene and it has been great so far. I also got another FBG that doesn't post in the exercise threads to try yoga for the first time and he is loving it as well. Most days are between 15-30 mins. 

At the end of yesterday, I logged in 11 hours and 40 minutes of exercise.  Mostly a combo of 30-40 minutes of body combat/HIIT and yard work (massive amount of leaves in my yard so been doing a lot of raking).  I'll try to do an hour long HIIT workout today.  I need to make up a little ground this weekend.

I know some of you guys are into rowing... wife wants to buy a MaxKare Air Rower for $260...  reviews on the internet suggest it is a decent beginner machine and seems to be a good value.  Anybody use or own of these?  Is it worth paying up for something bigger and better?  Will probably see light to moderate usage.

I know some of you guys are into rowing... wife wants to buy a MaxKare Air Rower for $260...  reviews on the internet suggest it is a decent beginner machine and seems to be a good value.  Anybody use or own of these?  Is it worth paying up for something bigger and better?  Will probably see light to moderate usage.
I was looking to buy a concept2 rower and my wife, knowing I wanted a rower but not knowing which one, decided to get me a less expensive one for my birthday instead. So now I have a sunny health and fitness rower. About the same price point as the one you're looking at, might be a little more. Here's what I can tell you

Air vs magnetic - the sunny is magnetic resistance, which means that it's almost totally silent.  No electricity required, there's literally two double A batteries in the "computer" and that's it. Air resistance feels a little more natural - when you pull harder, the fan has to move faster, which moves more air, which takes more work. When you start to pull it's harder than when you finish.  But it's also loud because you are using a big chain to spin a fan and chains and fans make noise.. The magnetic resistance is not the same but you have really precise control over how hard you want it to be to row. The maximum resistance on mine isn't as high as on the high end rowers but I'm not strong enough to care yet. 

Display - the display on mine is crappy. It counts strokes, time and a misguided attempt at calories.  I just leave it set on time.  There's no frills here, and I expect yours is the same.  The expensive machines have a place to put your tablet, and they integrate with paid services like asensei which otis and @eaganwildcats seem to like. They are like the difference between an old school exercise bike and a peloton - you're paying extra for the ability to get training at home. I don't think I need that- I look forward to exercising because I don't let myself watch TV unless I'm working out, and the quiet of my rower is a pretty good fit for that. But I can't row a 5k - I have no idea on distance because my display doesn't do that. I just row for 30 minutes. Is that worth 600 bucks?  I'm not sure. 

Quality - i already cracked a piece on the footrest of mine. I can get a replacement but the warranty is short. I am pretty sure I can get a replacement seat but I haven't tried. The concept2 has fancy padded seats to improve the experience. That might matter more as i do this more. Rowing 30 minutes, I find my hands are getting numb before my butt so it's not an issue yet. (That's normal for newbies by the way)

Foldability - mine has wheels and you can fold it up. I have a dedicated spot in my basement for it so I don't but I can, and if we move that will be nice. These things are, at minimum, about six feet long and take up a little more space than that when you lean back. 

Height - consider the distance off the floor, the length of your legs, etc. The concept2 is better for taller rowers because it's long enough to get a full extension. Mine is fine for me as I'm not quite 6 feet but @Otis might not be able to use this. 

I haven't decided for sure if I'm keeping this or upgrading and it's not the one you're looking at, but hope that helps.

Also nice work by @DA RAIDERS and @fred_1_15301 keeping track in thread.  It helps me to see you reporting it and makes me feel like i need to too. It would be really easy to rest on my accomplishments and backslide hard. I have not been good at all the last couple weeks. So my genuine thanks to both of you for updating the thread from time to time and please keep it up. 

Also nice work by @DA RAIDERS and @fred_1_15301 keeping track in thread.  It helps me to see you reporting it and makes me feel like i need to too. It would be really easy to rest on my accomplishments and backslide hard. I have not been good at all the last couple weeks. So my genuine thanks to both of you for updating the thread from time to time and please keep it up. 
No need to thank anyone.  You’ve been inspirational to me and everyone in here.  Keep up the great work and don’t put too much pressure on yourself.  We are all dealing with stressful times.

Hey, I'm getting drunk, too!

Looks safe in here right now.  I miss the freds and all the rest.

I gained a little election-stress weight, which I expected based on a diet of (not kidding) nothing but pizza, tacos, and wine for about two weeks.  Now I'm doing better.  :)   Trying to get back to at least 60 minutes of walking per day plus whatever yoga Adriene serves up to me for the day.  I've been on track for a week.  Heading into coordinating two house purchases, two moves, and two house sales for me and my mom/stepfather, so more stress to come!  Gonna work it out through the walking and the Adriene so that hopefully I'll stay reasonably fit throughout.  

Hey, I'm getting drunk, too!

Looks safe in here right now.  I miss the freds and all the rest.

I gained a little election-stress weight, which I expected based on a diet of (not kidding) nothing but pizza, tacos, and wine for about two weeks.  Now I'm doing better.  :)   Trying to get back to at least 60 minutes of walking per day plus whatever yoga Adriene serves up to me for the day.  I've been on track for a week.  Heading into coordinating two house purchases, two moves, and two house sales for me and my mom/stepfather, so more stress to come!  Gonna work it out through the walking and the Adriene so that hopefully I'll stay reasonably fit throughout.  
Oh, also doing some 700-mile challenge that goes for six months.  I started a little late, Nov. 6 instead of Nov. 1, but trying to keep on track for that.  You can do run/walk/bike for it, but since I don't bike or run...I'll be walking it.

Oh, also doing some 700-mile challenge that goes for six months.  I started a little late, Nov. 6 instead of Nov. 1, but trying to keep on track for that.  You can do run/walk/bike for it, but since I don't bike or run...I'll be walking it.
I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 200 more just to be the man to walk 700 miles in half a year 

I'll pick up Otis' slack, I've been lagging anyways, it's not the number on that scale, it's how many minutes am I really putting in? I remember doing over 3,000 one month, might be time to start tracking more diligently. Also there's a mental health component that directly relates to minutes exercising or zoning/walking and freeing your mind so you can make better decisions in all verticals of your life. 

120 Minutes this morning, 3 Sets 5-7, 6-1, 6-1...had a snowbird from Colorado('80 Olympic Ski Team) that had not seen me since March/April...didn't recognize me and also saw first hand how much I've improved with less weight on my frame, that's always a good feeling. But I need to get back to my runs and rides, that's when i am usually feeling at the top. 

Cheers everyone!

I was drunk last night so this didn’t really sink in.  This seems like an insane challenge.  I wouldn’t even know where to begin.  But I bet you’ll conquer it.  Good luck!

ETA - actually I do know where I would begin.  On the bike.  

that's awesome.  i barely squeaked out 100 miles in my best month, during the initial shut down.  get it!

7/7 no booze

bday  

4/9 no booze. 

286/720 minutes 

11/16 pushups

4/8 yoga

2/4 legs

-------------------

tedious....but we carry on

buying booze for my trip to the mountains was a test.   :mellow:    

also!  a dude dug out and carved an awesome bench seat, with decorative rock formations, into the crest of the hill, that i hike all the time.  similar to those crazy dudes that make pools in the amazon, with no tools.  

it faces due west and it's taking serious will power, not to grab a beverage and the wife, and go enjoy a sunset. 

Users who are viewing this thread