Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

I wouldn’t rest after the HIIT days.  If you do them right, they are gnarly and you will benefit from Keeping the body moving the next day. 

I like how this has quickly turned into “Otis just work out 7 days a week.”  Neat plan guys. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Otis said:

I like how this has quickly turned into “Otis just work out 7 days a week.”  Neat plan guys. 

Aren't you around 43 or 44?  Rest days seem a little overrated and unnecessary at that age.   :oldunsure: 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I like how this has quickly turned into “Otis just work out 7 days a week.”  Neat plan guys. 

It does allow for eating and drinking*, 7 days a week. 

 

 

 

*i’m not a dr, Fred’s disclaimer..bla..bla..bla.

But!  I’m pretty sure you shouldn’t drink every day. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was hard getting out of bed this morning.  I did drink a couple glasses of wine last night, that surely didn’t help, but otherwise was good yesterday with some peanut butter bran toast stuff for breakfast and a tuna steak for dinner, with a 100 cal bag of mini pretzels for a snack.

But I did it.  Up by 5, to the gym, lifted weights for the first time in, I dunno, a year and a half?  More?  What’s amazing is how pathetically weak you can become when you stop working out.  Holy moly.  But that’s ok.  

By the way, being at a gym in a pandemic is weird.  And wearing a mask while breathing heavy sux0rz.

On to a clean eating day, no alcohol, and let’s get some forward progress this week.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took Friday off so haven't posted in a bit.  Didn't feel well most of Friday and haven't been on the yoga mat since Thursday.  I did get some decent exercise over the weekend walking, cleaning, and doing yard-work.  I didn't track much over the weekend, but I ate decently well and drank every night.  

Finished the 6-week pushup program Saturday.  I plan to try to do the 100 push-up test later today.  Feeling fairly confident actually.  

Plan to hit the yoga mat today as well, probably just a nice stretch one after the weekend of yard work and random stuff.  

Need to get rededicated this week to logging all food in MFP and also staying off the booze until the weekend.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unexpected drop after the weekend - 194.4 - feels like it may be a tad artificial, possibly a little dehydration.  I did order some kettlebells- showed up Saturday so did some kettlebell swings and squats.  A little sore today which is good - I’ve been woefully bad about exercise for a year.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

 

Finished the 6-week pushup program Saturday.  I plan to try to do the 100 push-up test later today.  Feeling fairly confident actually.  

 

I'm excited to hear how this goes.  I think I hit 82 after the 6 week program.  Since then, I've been doing 100 push-ups a day for the past 3+ months.  As I was doing my push-ups yesterday, I was actually thinking that I could probably hit 100 straight if I tried again.  I've gotten stronger and the push-ups have gotten easier (and now my form is good as well).  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I'm excited to hear how this goes.  I think I hit 82 after the 6 week program.  Since then, I've been doing 100 push-ups a day for the past 3+ months.  As I was doing my push-ups yesterday, I was actually thinking that I could probably hit 100 straight if I tried again.  I've gotten stronger and the push-ups have gotten easier (and now my form is good as well).  

Good luck to you both. I’ve had to redo some days this go around - likely because I am going slower with slightly better form. Hopeful to get to the hundo challenge in 3-4 weeks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I cut out the pushups from my regular lifting routine but will be starting back up in earnest some time after Easter. It was just too much.  I'm sure I've lost a little of my gains so I'm thinking about starting back up on the program a few weeks in and really focusing on slow, good form push ups. Kudos to you guys for sticking to it and very interested to see if poke can get the hundred. It was hard.

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I got the 100 push-ups!  I had to pause around 73, only because my earbud fell out.  

Fully admit the form was poor in the last 10-15, but I really don't care.  I did 100 push-ups in a row!

My wrists are starting to give me pain, so I'm going to take a break from push-ups for a bit.  If/When I start back up I'm going to use my push-up stands.  (I'm also getting Pfizer shot #2 one week from today, so probably off the push-ups until I recover from that.)

Looking forward to a nice yoga stretch later and then a nice 1.5 mile dog walk.  (I walk the dog that far every day, weather permitting.)

Really torn on what to do next.  I've been really enjoying yoga, but also avoiding the harder session on push-up days.  May just go full into yoga for weight loss and strength for a few weeks.  Not sure yet.  I also did some nerdfitness bodyweight exercise at one point.  Was enjoying those and would like to work up to doing pull-ups.  

  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Otis said:

It was hard getting out of bed this morning.  I did drink a couple glasses of wine last night, that surely didn’t help, but otherwise was good yesterday with some peanut butter bran toast stuff for breakfast and a tuna steak for dinner, with a 100 cal bag of mini pretzels for a snack.

But I did it.  Up by 5, to the gym, lifted weights for the first time in, I dunno, a year and a half?  More?  What’s amazing is how pathetically weak you can become when you stop working out.  Holy moly.  But that’s ok.  

By the way, being at a gym in a pandemic is weird.  And wearing a mask while breathing heavy sux0rz.

On to a clean eating day, no alcohol, and let’s get some forward progress this week.

Congrats on getting back on the horse.  I like your plan to workout 4 days/week.  Mix in some walks on some of the off days and you will have the working out covered.  You and I share the problem just like many others.  We don’t like to control our eating and drinking in your case.  

In the last 2 weeks, I gave back 2 pounds of the 5 pounds I lost this year.  Pathetic, but it is time to get back on course.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Well I got the 100 push-ups!  I had to pause around 73, only because my earbud fell out.  

Fully admit the form was poor in the last 10-15, but I really don't care.  I did 100 push-ups in a row!

To be clear, the pause was still in plank.  I just paused long enough to replace my right earbud and never went to my knees.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I cut out the pushups from my regular lifting routine but will be starting back up in earnest some time after Easter. It was just too much.  I'm sure I've lost a little of my gains so I'm thinking about starting back up on the program a few weeks in and really focusing on slow, good form push ups. Kudos to you guys for sticking to it and very interested to see if poke can get the hundred. It was hard.

I’m in with you Fred when you do this. Keep wanting to try this but I keep giving up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turns out that doing squats after you haven’t in a long time is a bad idea. Fire legs. 
 

I did not get up and row this morning. I may sneak one in later. Or at a minimum I’ll be walking the dog extensively later. But I will be getting in some exercise, and calorie tracking. Go go go n

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Turns out that doing squats after you haven’t in a long time is a bad idea. Fire legs. 

You've gotta be careful doing squats after time away, it's a good way to tweak a hammy. It's been a long time since my 400lb squat days, so now I usually do body-weight squats at home or, before COVID I'd do maybe 95 or 115 using the weight rack at the office gym. When starting back out, I prefer to go super light and work more on stretching those muscles out rather than going for real weight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FBG26 said:

You've gotta be careful doing squats after time away, it's a good way to tweak a hammy. It's been a long time since my 400lb squat days, so now I usually do body-weight squats at home or, before COVID I'd do maybe 95 or 115 using the weight rack at the office gym. When starting back out, I prefer to go super light and work more on stretching those muscles out rather than going for real weight. 

Yeah.  Our versions of “super light” are probably different, but I just did 135 which used to be warm up reps for me, 3 sets, and I could barely knock out that third set.  And today super sore.  

Took the dog for a walk.  Hydrating.  Still a whole season before summer to get this right.  I really only need to lose 15-20lbs to be at what is probably an ideal weight.   That’s not a lot of weight.  And yet, I struggle...  but still at it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yeah.  Our versions of “super light” are probably different, but I just did 135 which used to be warm up reps for me, 3 sets, and I could barely knock out that third set.  And today super sore.  

Took the dog for a walk.  Hydrating.  Still a whole season before summer to get this right.  I really only need to lose 15-20lbs to be at what is probably an ideal weight.   That’s not a lot of weight.  And yet, I struggle...  but still at it...

Back in college I used to warm up at 205 or 225 before doing the actual sets, but man that was a long time ago. :bag: I think for most people, 3x10 (or 8 or 12 or whatever) at 135 is nothing to sneeze at. Squats are such a great full body workout that really works your legs and core, and you don't really need to go heavy to get good benefits from it (IMO). 

Long hours at work and actually spending time with your family don't make it easy to stay in shape. Best part of working from home is that I take an hour every afternoon before getting the kids from daycare to go run or whatever. Not everybody can do that, but I know you can reach your goals. Keep it up!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Just did a YWA video from 2013.  I didn't like it so much I'm not even linking it.  She's gotten a lot better at videos in the last 8 years.  I'm sticking to videos from 2015 and newer from now on.  

I'd intended to mention this about the Yoga for Weight Loss one I did a couple of days ago on fred's recommendation.  While I liked and will return to it, it was also from 2013, and she was not nearly as good.  In fact, for much of the video, she would start a move with "Now I'm going to..." instead of instructing the way she does now.  It was mildly irritating.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

I'd intended to mention this about the Yoga for Weight Loss one I did a couple of days ago on fred's recommendation.  While I liked and will return to it, it was also from 2013, and she was not nearly as good.  In fact, for much of the video, she would start a move with "Now I'm going to..." instead of instructing the way she does now.  It was mildly irritating.

I remember a video, might have been one of the 30 days but not the original 2015 ones, where she said she had spent a lot of time working on that because she realized people were trying to watch on a tablet or TV and she couldn't walk around and correct their poses so they were craving their necks to see the TV and that didn't help anyone.  So she had to learn how to give instructions so you didn't have to look. 

That's why she uses the exact same wording for certain moves or combinations.  You can finish the sentences

Together we'll meet... 

Step or hop up to... 

Imagjne a big piece of fruit...

Holding simba...

Heel toe heel toe your feet to...

Beach ball...

You don't have to look at the screen when she says those.  It's one of the things that makes her so effective.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering rejoining the gym. 60 min, Heated vinyasa flow daily.  Plus all the other beugie crap  

The Head yoga dude, is one of the big pictures, on the wall, at lulu lemon. Classes are SERIOUS business. 🤣🤣. They’re awesome though. I miss it. 

The instructors just call out the poses. I’m often lost.   :oldunsure:   They only demonstrate when they’re really hard. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good eating day. Didn’t need the white wine at the end, but it was within calorie limits, so here we are.  Walked the dog, didn’t otherwise exercise, but the alarm is set for the morning, may hit the gym again. We’ll see. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 4:25 PM, krista4 said:

I think I've mentioned this before, but it's the hours between 6 pm and bedtime that kill me.  I'm super-healthy all day and then often break down.  I actually sometimes go to bed earlier than I would just to avoid eating and drinking.  :bag:

You and me both.  I'm totally a night snacker

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dickies said:

You and me both.  I'm totally a night snacker

If I limit myself to 4 vanilla wafers (actually pretty healthy compared to many other options) between dinner and bed, I consider that success.  That’s what I’ve been trying lately.  Still able to satiate my sweet tooth without going too crazy.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got up early and a 30 minute row for 400+ calories.  Plan to hit the gym tomorrow morning. Healthy start to eating. 
 

Weighed in at 227. It’s good because it’s not a tremendous backslide, but a month ago I was close to crossing below 225. So it’s been a static month. Feels like a waste of four weeks. But again, beats waking up at 235 or 240 again.

Also, body fat seems to be slowly decreasing, down to 29.2%.  They won’t be putting me on the cover of Men’s Health anytime soon, but progress. 
 

Let’s go. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

If I limit myself to 4 vanilla wafers (actually pretty healthy compared to many other options) between dinner and bed, I consider that success.  That’s what I’ve been trying lately.  Still able to satiate my sweet tooth without going too crazy.

I've mentioned this before.  Hershey kisses are my 'not so bad' after dinner snack.  4 dark chocolate kisses are 86 calories.  I can make those kisses last at least half an hour and it (mostly) satisfies my sweet cravings.  

I've also done vanilla wafers and the Chicka Boom Pop light kettle corn popcorn.  Moderation with all of it is key.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Got up early and a 30 minute row for 400+ calories.  Plan to hit the gym tomorrow morning. Healthy start to eating. 
 

Weighed in at 227. It’s good because it’s not a tremendous backslide, but a month ago I was close to crossing below 225. So it’s been a static month. Feels like a waste of four weeks. But again, beats waking up at 235 or 240 again.

Also, body fat seems to be slowly decreasing, down to 29.2%.  They won’t be putting me on the cover of Men’s Health anytime soon, but progress. 
 

Let’s go. 

https://i.redd.it/r9c80oqgfko61.png

  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to post yesterday, pace was 18:50. I had fascial twinge in my right foot that slowed me right down for 3-4 minutes. At this point, not getting injured is far more important than gainz. Will probably take it easy today too.

  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, GregR said:

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again.  Target weight: 207

March 12:   281 lbs  

March 19:   274 lbs

March 26:  270 lbs

Good week overall. Got in five rides on my exercise bike and have been gradually ramping up resistance. Had a few extra calories last weekend. But otherwise stuck to around 1500-1600 calories each day during the week.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Did an hour long YWA this morning, Yoga for Weight Loss - Balance.  I think I've done this one before, and I really enjoyed it.  It's pretty much for beginners, but I took the harder options all the way through and it was a nice workout.  

Keep up the good work.  

 

Nice!  I skipped yoga yesterday and can probably only fit in a short one today, but this could be a good weekend option.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been pushing my warmup in the warmer weather, and I paid for it today. My low back was hurting pretty bad before the halfway point. I knew it was muscular, and gutted my way around at a 19:38 pace. Maybe I'll learn.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Otis changed the title to Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...