What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

Nice!  I skipped yoga yesterday and can probably only fit in a short one today, but this could be a good weekend option.
You've already done it mi amiga. The good news is you liked it.  The nbad news is you have no memory for this whatsoever.  It's weird.  I remember I got corrected because I told you it had a standing split but it was actually warrior 3 or something like that 

I remember I got corrected because I told you it had a standing split but it was actually warrior 3 or something like that 
I remember this part.  Think that was Steve Tasker.

I have a list of those I'd like to keep in the rotation, but it's on a computer I haven't been able to access for over a week.

I've been doing the yoga sessions on Adriene's March 2021 calendar, not in order but just poking around and combining them based on the amount of time I have and what sounds good.  As of today, I've done all of those listed through the 27th, and one of them twice since I'm dumb.  I've also done a few others this month based on fred or Poke suggestions.  Throughout, I've been tracking how many practices she gets through without mixing up her left and right.  So far:  one out of 30+! 

Also got tricked into another 2013 session yesterday.  I'm going to check the dates from now on and not do any of the earlier ones.  

Tomorrow I think I'm going for the 61-minute Yoga for Weight Loss, Total Body Workout, which fred recommended a while back.

I did 30 minute yoga for runners today. She started by saying it's called yoga for runners not stretching for runners because it's got breathing and then she pretty much just stretched and breathed.  It was pretty good for my post run stretching though so I'm not complaining.  

I took it easy on myself today, with a 19:28 pace. But apparently I took it easy on everything this week, as the scale says I gained 0.5 pounds. I admit to flagging dedication recently.

There will be no weigh-in next weekend, as I will be out of town, but I haven't gained weight on recent vacations, and I expect the same this time.

Tomorrow I think I'm going for the 61-minute Yoga for Weight Loss, Total Body Workout, which fred recommended a while back.
I did this one (Total Body Workout) and remembered I'd done it before.  It was memorable because there's a part where the videographer starts talking to her, and another bit where her non-Benji dog walks through and licks her face.  This is a great workout and quite challenging despite being slow, so I liked it for that, but it's a 2013 one, and between the weird camera work (seemingly random zooms in and out, choppy editing) and her 2013-era first-person guidance, it has some distractions that don't work for me.  There was also, oddly, music overlaid on the first and last dozen or so minutes.

I did this one (Total Body Workout) and remembered I'd done it before.  It was memorable because there's a part where the videographer starts talking to her, and another bit where her non-Benji dog walks through and licks her face.  This is a great workout and quite challenging despite being slow, so I liked it for that, but it's a 2013 one, and between the weird camera work (seemingly random zooms in and out, choppy editing) and her 2013-era first-person guidance, it has some distractions that don't work for me.  There was also, oddly, music overlaid on the first and last dozen or so minutes.
Yup the music psyche out makes you think it's over when it's not, the camera guy asking her to redo her lift from forward fold to arms up on her way to mountain was jarring and I have no idea why they didn't cut it, and Blue coming in and licking her face was cute but then they obviously edited out the part where they shooed him away so why not didn't they edit out the retake?  But the workout itself is good and it's a non stop hour that hits every muscle group so if you're like me and prefer the longer sessions (especially on the weekends) it's one of the better ones on a short list.

Yup the music psyche out makes you think it's over when it's not, the camera guy asking her to redo her lift from forward fold to arms up on her way to mountain was jarring and I have no idea why they didn't cut it, and Blue coming in and licking her face was cute but then they obviously edited out the part where they shooed him away so why not didn't they edit out the retake?  But the workout itself is good and it's a non stop hour that hits every muscle group so if you're like me and prefer the longer sessions (especially on the weekends) it's one of the better ones on a short list.
She also messed up once.  There’s a part where you do the three-legged dog sequence with your right leg going to right elbow/nose/left elbow, but when she switched to left leg she skipped that part and went straight into the lunge.  I was mad because that’s my favorite part!  I wish she would reshoot this one some day since it’s a good workout.

She also messed up once.  There’s a part where you do the three-legged dog sequence with your right leg going to right elbow/nose/left elbow, but when she switched to left leg she skipped that part and went straight into the lunge.  I was mad because that’s my favorite part!  I wish she would reshoot this one some day since it’s a good workout.
Lol I'm usually jelly when we get to that point and am excited when she forgets.  You're like the ####### kid that reminds the teacher to give us homework.

Did a big ride on the mountain bike yesterday (11.5miles w/ 2100-2400ft of elevation).  My Garmin said I burned 1,800 calories.  I then proceeded to drink around 1,800 calories in beer throughout the rest of the day.  Then my son got the smart idea to jump off a ramp on his bike that the neighbor had set up for their RC car....  I didn't actually see the crash happen, but I imagine he was riding way too slow and went over the handlebars.  Has road rash all up the right side of his body and is complaining of wrist pain.  Of course I had been drinking all day, so I couldn't take him to the doctor (yay for being a responsible parent!), but hopefully there is nothing broken as baseball season just started up on Saturday.  Have an appointment to get him checked out today.

I'll be honest that I'm not really watching what I eat or what my weight is and won't be for a couple more weeks.  I spontaneously decided a few nights ago to plan a week-long vacation...to Napa.  Leaving Saturday.  I'll keep up my yoga and walking, but the eating and drinking will be insane.

Quick update from me...  got Pfizer vaccine #2 this morning.  Still doing fine but a little tired.  The next 24ish hours may be interesting, hoping not.

Did the 45min deep body stretch from YWA right after the shot.  Just wanted a stretch after being a weekend off the mat that included some gardening and home improvement.  Walked the dog a bit ago in the wind.  Hoping the exercise today will offset the dreaded vaccine #2 effects, time will tell.  

I didn't track food for crap this weekend and drank too much.  I basically ate healthy meals, but I'm sure the booze put me over calorie goals.  Oh well.  

Keep up the good work.  

Oh, my injection nurse today told me her grandma always said 'never pass up free cookies' so I had to take the package of Grandma's cookies after my shot.  Ate them w/ my lunch, not sure they were worth the 300 calories.  

Oh, my injection nurse today told me her grandma always said 'never pass up free cookies' so I had to take the package of Grandma's cookies after my shot.  Ate them w/ my lunch, not sure they were worth the 300 calories.  
If they were the molasses ones, they would be.  I'm not sure if they even make those anymore?  I was addicted to them in college.

Keep at it people!  I’ve done the YWA that k4 and bfred were talking about. It’s a good one. 

Eating really well and barely drinking. Burning 500-1000+ active calories a day, doing this and that. All is well there. 

Pushed back rejoining the gym. But did get some kettlebells, so am excited to work them into the mix. 

Anyone mountain bike?  Buncha neighbors do it. And I live on the edge of an awesome canyon, with tons of trails.  They are pushing me to join them. But good lord,the bikes are expensive. 

Keep at it people!  I’ve done the YWA that k4 and bfred were talking about. It’s a good one. 

Eating really well and barely drinking. Burning 500-1000+ active calories a day, doing this and that. All is well there. 

Pushed back rejoining the gym. But did get some kettlebells, so am excited to work them into the mix. 

Anyone mountain bike?  Buncha neighbors do it. And I live on the edge of an awesome canyon, with tons of trails.  They are pushing me to join them. But good lord,the bikes are expensive. 
Are you friends with the poster formerly known as proninja?  He's your man for all things mountain biking (and among other things, worked for years in a bike shop).

Rent a bike and try it out. With all the skiing you've probably got the leg strength and the outdoorsy thing and the fearlessness, and you've got a group of friends who are into it so that's a great start. 

Rent a bike and try it out. With all the skiing you've probably got the leg strength and the outdoorsy thing and the fearlessness, and you've got a group of friends who are into it so that's a great start. 
i've already done that. :D  

i was with the family, at a ski resort, in the summer.  it was fun.  the hard trails are sketchy.  some fear/common sense definitely rears it's head.  i'm also a novice at downhill XC biking.  i guess the real question is, will i enjoy going uphill?   :lmao:   at the ski resort, the lifts do all the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biking a better option than hiking, more likely to outrun the mountain lions
Actually this is exactly the opposite of true.  The bikes ignite a prey/chase instinct that hikers don't.  The first person to be killed by a mountain lion in WA in over 100 years was a couple of years ago when a couple of bikers tried to get away.   :grad:

glad i went on an hour hike just now.   :lmao:   all i saw, were a few bunnies.  and some awesome blue/purple birds.  no predators.

3.28 miles.  

I’ve been mountain biking 3-4 days per week since November. Once I got into cycling in June, my neighbors who mountain bike pushed me to get into it.  It doesn’t have to be crazy expensive, but prepare to drop at least $1,000-1,500 on a hardtail to get you up and running. Climbing the hills is a great workout and always rewarding. The downhill is fun and obviously why people get into it.

Would be happy to give you my thoughts on bikes and what to look for and avoid. I’ve become super addicted to it in the short time I’ve had my bike. 

glad i went on an hour hike just now.   :lmao:   all i saw, were a few bunnies.  and some awesome blue/purple birds.  no predators.

3.28 miles.  
I'm (perhaps unsurprisingly) obsessive about predators and any danger I might have in hiking.  I have read about every fatal encounter by a mountain lion or a bear in North America to get details and make sure I know what I'm doing.  :bag:   

I actually would prefer to hike alone all the time if I could, but there are some trails I'm just not comfortable on.  At this point, I probably could, because the trails have become overrun since COVID so I would have strength in numbers.  I've never seen a full-sized mountain lion and don't want to - did see the tail end of a juvenile as it scurried away and have been stalked by another one at least once.  That time when I got back down to the trailhead, there had been a sign put up AFTER I started the trail to warn that a cougar had been seen on the trail.  THANKS.

I'm happy to see any wildlife on the trail (since we don't have grizzlies here) and beyond excited about a black bear, except a cougar which ####### terrifies me.

I’ve been mountain biking 3-4 days per week since November. Once I got into cycling in June, my neighbors who mountain bike pushed me to get into it.  It doesn’t have to be crazy expensive, but prepare to drop at least $1,000-1,500 on a hardtail to get you up and running. Climbing the hills is a great workout and always rewarding. The downhill is fun and obviously why people get into it.

Would be happy to give you my thoughts on bikes and what to look for and avoid. I’ve become super addicted to it in the short time I’ve had my bike. 
i may just pick your brain a bit.  these dudes, that bike around here, are serious.  their bikes are 4k and up. :eek:    it's ludicrous to me.  heck, 1500 seems like a grip of money for an "ok" bike.    what's a "decent" hardtail?

I'm (perhaps unsurprisingly) obsessive about predators and any danger I might have in hiking.  I have read about every fatal encounter by a mountain lion or a bear in North America to get details and make sure I know what I'm doing.  :bag:   

I actually would prefer to hike alone all the time if I could, but there are some trails I'm just not comfortable on.  At this point, I probably could, because the trails have become overrun since COVID so I would have strength in numbers.  I've never seen a full-sized mountain lion and don't want to - did see the tail end of a juvenile as it scurried away and have been stalked by another one at least once.  That time when I got back down to the trailhead, there had been a sign put up AFTER I started the trail to warn that a cougar had been seen on the trail.  THANKS.

I'm happy to see ANY wildlife on the trail (since we don't have grizzlies here) and beyond excited about a black bear, except a cougar which ####### terrifies me.
no mountain lions down here.  just coyotes galore.  the very occasional bobcat.  and snakes.  lotsa sneks  there are deer in the canyon too, which is awesome.

no mountain lions down here.  just coyotes galore.  the very occasional bobcat.  and snakes.  lotsa sneks  there are deer in the canyon too, which is awesome.
You're lucky.  That all sounds great.  Even sneks don't bother me.  I forgot to say that mountain goats are a little scary, too, even though I've seen them a ton (see my avatar).  In Olympic National Park, no one has ever been killed by a bear or cougar.  But a mountain goat?  Yep.

i may just pick your brain a bit.  these dudes, that bike around here, are serious.  their bikes are 4k and up. :eek:    it's ludicrous to me.  heck, 1500 seems like a grip of money for an "ok" bike.    what's a "decent" hardtail?
It’s pretty easy to drop 4k on a mountain bike. There are 3 major factors to consider: ride style/geometry, components, and material construction (weight).

My thought process is to get a bike that checks the boxes in the first two categories and not worry about the 3rd. Most of the expense comes with saving weight, with little to no increase in functionality.  I figure that since I could stand to lose 20lbs, then why spend an extra $1000 to save 200g.

The essential checklist for me was: 1x12 drivetrain, dropper post, good brakes, and a frame that has thru axles and a tapered head tube so that I had the ability to upgrade components down the road.

Hopefully you take the plunge. It’s a fun hobby and I’m sure since you love skiing that you’ll also enjoy mtb. 

It’s pretty easy to drop 4k on a mountain bike. There are 3 major factors to consider: ride style/geometry, components, and material construction (weight).

My thought process is to get a bike that checks the boxes in the first two categories and not worry about the 3rd. Most of the expense comes with saving weight, with little to no increase in functionality.  I figure that since I could stand to lose 20lbs, then why spend an extra $1000 to save 200g.

The essential checklist for me was: 1x12 drivetrain, dropper post, good brakes, and a frame that has thru axles and a tapered head tube so that I had the ability to upgrade components down the road.

Hopefully you take the plunge. It’s a fun hobby and I’m sure since you love skiing that you’ll also enjoy mtb. 
gonna need to translate this into uber noob,  i got brakes and frame!   thanks!

gonna need to translate this into uber noob,  i got brakes and frame!   thanks!
1x12 drivetrain = one chainring in front, 12 gears in back. Simplifies riding and maintenance. A lot of low end bikes have 3 chainrings up front and it creates a lot of headache keeping everything shifting properly and makes gear management confusing when you need to make quick decisions as to what gear to be in.

Dropper post = seat post that drops down/up via remote on the handlebar. You want the seat up for climbing/pedaling, and the seat down while descending. Allows you to shift your weight in the turns/steeps without the seat getting in the way. You could do this by pausing and wrenching, but it’s so much nicer being able to do it while riding with the push of a button.

As for frame/style, XC(cross country) are bikes meant for climbing efficiently, but will be sketchy in steep/technical descents. Trail bikes will be a bit sturdier, but heavier, and give more confidence descending while still being reasonable at climbing. Enduro bikes are going to make your climbing a chore, but thrive at going fast downhill. Downhill bikes are basically meant for lift-operated bike parks..... which I assume isn’t what you’re after. My advice is to start with a trail bike as it’s the closest thing to an all-around bike. When I first started looking for a bike my head was spinning because the last time I rode trails there were not all of these different styles. 

Oh yeah, and my son broke his wrist. Was at the “urgent care” for 4 hours today. I think a doctor/nurse saw us for 15 minutes total.

Kid held it together in the hospital after learning his fate, but totally broke down when we got to the car. Poor guy lives for baseball and two out of the last three years he’s started the season with broken bones.... and the season he was healthy got cancelled due to COVID. 

what's the time frame on the wrist?  @Dickies that sucks
Doctor said likely 3-6 weeks, but could be longer depending on how it heals. Three weeks wouldn’t be bad especially since spring break accounts for one of them, but 6+ would be a significant chunk of his season. Crossing our fingers it’s 3-4 weeks. 

the wife and i enjoyed a some sushi and a bottle of sauv blanc tonight.  really wanted to pop another bottle when we got home.  instead, we went for a walk/hike.  started out mellow, but the wife suggested we go the bottom of the canyon and back.  1.37 miles, down and back.  37 minutes.  i went ahead and walked around the block to get to 2 miles.

no predators spotted.  heard tons of frogs and a really cool owl.  it was quite dark by the time we got back.  it was really fun.

look at us being all responsible and adulty*. :D  

*glass of wine still sounds delicious.   :oldunsure:

DA RAIDERS said:
the wife and i enjoyed a some sushi and a bottle of sauv blanc tonight.  really wanted to pop another bottle when we got home.  instead, we went for a walk/hike.  started out mellow, but the wife suggested we go the bottom of the canyon and back.  1.37 miles, down and back.  37 minutes.  i went ahead and walked around the block to get to 2 miles.

no predators spotted.  heard tons of frogs and a really cool owl.  it was quite dark by the time we got back.  it was really fun.

look at us being all responsible and adulty*. :D  

*glass of wine still sounds delicious.   :oldunsure:
This is when my to-go wine sippy cups come in handy.

So after shot #2 on Monday I had a pretty rough time Tuesday.  Took most of the day off Tuesday and spent time eating whatever I wanted and laying on the couch.  Yesterday I felt better but only walked the dog.  

Got back on the mat today with Kassandra's recent 30-min Intermediate full body vinyasa flow.  This was interesting.  The warm up included chair poses, just to give you a taste.  Also had some moves I'm not very familiar with including a transition from half moon to dancer pose (new).  I didn't have a lot of time, so this fit the bill and overall I liked the session.  I still get frustrated with Kassandra tho, as she doesn't give as much instruction on transitions and getting into the poses as Adriene.  I do like the harder sessions.  

Keep up the good work.  

Five months down in my 700-miles-in-six-months challenge, and I'm at 639.1 miles through March.  I could take it easy this month at a mere two miles per day, but will I?  No way!  My goal is to be in the top 20% of participants, and as of yesterday I was 63 out of 310 people, so I'll step it up just a little to make it in there.  I didn't start with the top 20% goal, but once I saw I was getting close to it, I figured that would be something to shoot for.

Finished up Adriene's March calendar yesterday and am poking around her April one.  There's a new "Yoga for Renewal" practice that she'll put out on Monday the 5th.  No indication of how long it is.

Love all the progress in here.   I am making no progress this week.  We decided that since it was spring break and the girls are out of school and my work ground to a halt, (and since my in laws came and stayed with us a few days over the past weekend), we would head up to our mountain house this week.  A typical day has generally looked like me getting up early with the girls and doing a few hours of work on the computer, and then getting showered, and then cracking a beer or glass of wine mid afternoon, and then getting a little lit up at night and eating whatever I can reach.  So, that.

Monday will be back to hard commitments, alternating gym lifting days and rowing in my basement days, with dog walks and the like sprinkled in, and most importantly, good eating.  For now, I’m doing zero of those things.

Something occurred to me last night.  It doesn’t really matter WHEN I get to my goal, so long as I eventually get there.  Because if the way that I’m living on a regular basis isn’t getting me to my goal weight, then I’ll just end up putting it all back on anyway.  How nice it would be to be able to let loose sometimes and tighten up other times and generally maintain right around goal.

Excuse me, I still have half a microbrew IPA waiting on me, and then in a few hours we’re heading out to our favorite awesome local restaurant. 

@Otisi let loose, from time to time.  and don't fluctuate more than 5 pounds.  i eat right and exercise, pretty consistently.  and i always exercise after cutting loose.  i have a few heavy beers, every day, when i'm skiing.  

Had a busy Monday and couldn’t get any exercise in, then got my 2nd Covid shot, so was feeling like crap the past day and a half. Have basically done no physical activity all week and feeling a bit gross. Looking forward to getting a little mountain bike ride in tomorrow morning and hopefully a long road ride in this evening. 

Otis said:
Love all the progress in here.   I am making no progress this week.  We decided that since it was spring break and the girls are out of school and my work ground to a halt, (and since my in laws came and stayed with us a few days over the past weekend), we would head up to our mountain house this week.  A typical day has generally looked like me getting up early with the girls and doing a few hours of work on the computer, and then getting showered, and then cracking a beer or glass of wine mid afternoon, and then getting a little lit up at night and eating whatever I can reach.  So, that.

Monday will be back to hard commitments, alternating gym lifting days and rowing in my basement days, with dog walks and the like sprinkled in, and most importantly, good eating.  For now, I’m doing zero of those things.

Something occurred to me last night.  It doesn’t really matter WHEN I get to my goal, so long as I eventually get there.  Because if the way that I’m living on a regular basis isn’t getting me to my goal weight, then I’ll just end up putting it all back on anyway.  How nice it would be to be able to let loose sometimes and tighten up other times and generally maintain right around goal.

Excuse me, I still have half a microbrew IPA waiting on me, and then in a few hours we’re heading out to our favorite awesome local restaurant. 
You really know it's spring when Otis reaches the bargaining stage. 

It's been hard for me to recommend any yoga practices lately, not because they've been bad, but I haven't found much that was special enough to mention.  A couple of days ago I did this 28-minute Yoga + Pranayama for the Spine that I thought was different and cool enough to report on.  There's a lengthy part where you're in wide-legged forward fold...forever...and she has you pretzel your arms around and look under your right, wait left, arm, and it's just really fun.  The rest of it did feel very good for the back as a whole, too.  Stood out to me as something a bit different than the same vinyasa and flow.

Today I didn't think I'd get yoga in because I'm getting central air installed and the guys showed up an hour earlier than promised - not usually a problem but threw off my morning!  But after they left I managed a 17-minute session from today's calendar.  It was good as a session for when you really don't want to do yoga - a few core bits that made it worthwhile but nothing at all challenging.  Felt like it was much better than doing nothing!

I ate like a lumberjack on Thursday,  but I had 15K steps, I'll be fine. 
One of the most important elements when it comes to a good cheat - activity. Over the last 4 weeks I've averaged 16K steps and 1200 active calories burned on 25/28 days. I only take my guardrails down once maybe twice per week anyway, but I pay little attention to limitations when this is my level of activity. Generally, I think this is a good thing for sustainability purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread