What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again. 

Target weight: 207.   Loss to date: 16 lbs.

March 12:   281 lbs  

March 19:   274 lbs

March 26:   270 lbs

April 2:       265 lbs
Very happy with the progress.  Celebrated after previous weigh in with pizza Friday and Saturday.  But otherwise stuck to about 1500 calories a day. If my body tells me it needs more I eat a little more but keep it small. Doing exercise bike for 4 days and then a day of rest. Did two rides on Wednesday but bum knee got cranky so I'm back to just one.

One of the most important elements when it comes to a good cheat - activity. Over the last 4 weeks I've averaged 16K steps and 1200 active calories burned on 25/28 days. I only take my guardrails down once maybe twice per week anyway, but I pay little attention to limitations when this is my level of activity. Generally, I think this is a good thing for sustainability purposes.
Exactly.   I’m in the 800-1200 range. And around 10K steps. I eat well, but the activity level makes it a non factor if i eat a couple cookies that my wife is always making. 

Very happy with the progress.  Celebrated after previous weigh in with pizza Friday and Saturday.  But otherwise stuck to about 1500 calories a day. If my body tells me it needs more I eat a little more but keep it small. Doing exercise bike for 4 days and then a day of rest. Did two rides on Wednesday but bum knee got cranky so I'm back to just one.
Congrats, you're doing amazing!

Holy crap you're dropping lbs 

Went out for an early ride to hit some hills on the mountain bike with a friend who has been wanting to join me, but was nervous about being able to keep pace.  I was happy that he reached out and was finally willing to give it a shot.  Turns out he bought an e-bike, which explains his sudden eagerness to get out there.  I'm gassed from trying to keep up with his effortless riding, and then made the poor decision to crack a couple beers with him afterwards at 10am.  Work has been fun.

DA RAIDERS said:
just knocked out 3.31 miles of walk/run/hike   57 minutes.   459 calories
same track  54 minutes  463 calories.  gonna see how much i can shave off that time.  there are 4 flat spots, that i don't run currently.  that's probably 2 minutes, easy.

It dawned on me that if I stop eating and drinking after 8pm, I’ll probably be fit. It seems like such a simple idea. But 90% of my problems start after 8pm. Going downstairs to make a water. May get nuts and have a flavored seltzer. 

Went off the rails a bit last night. A Friends bday.  But, with 1250 active calories burned. And 13K steps. I’ll be just fine.  Going to make sure I hit the same sort of numbers today. 

Life is good.  Currently eating a snickerdoodle, with my coffee. 

Went off the rails a bit last night. A Friends bday.  But, with 1250 active calories burned. And 13K steps. I’ll be just fine.  Going to make sure I hit the same sort of numbers today. 

Life is good.  Currently eating a snickerdoodle, with my coffee. 
Despite going off the rails and drinking 2 beers at 10:00AM yesterday, I also burned 1,250 active calories and kept it at those two beers for the remainder of the day.  Also ate healthy and did zero late night snacking.  Now I need to start doing this on the days I burn 2,000+ active calories.

Dickies said:
The day is still young...
You’re right. Had some salad pizza on cauliflower crust, and one small regular slice. Had a 95 calorie beer earlier. Took the dog for a walk. Debating a glass of wine before the kitchen closes at 8pm. 

The ultimate fix. Don’t eat after 8. 

ETA: actually should be no calories after 8. No drinking either. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You drove!?!?  Get some wine in ya, stat!
Yeah, without any vaccine in me, driving seems a little better.  Plus I love a road trip.  Oh, and i have wine in me!*

The one place I had as a MUST go based on prior experience was Schramsberg, and the only availability the entire time I'm here was for 9:30 a.m. tomorrow, so...morning bubbles!

*ETA:  After I was done driving.

So the weather has been beautiful here...  very, very nice.

Spent the weekend mostly planting my vegetable garden and doing other yardwork.  Got over 12k steps both Saturday and Sunday.  Also drank way too much booze and didn't really track calories but also didn't eat too bad.  

Woke up very sore today, so did the 45-min YWA deep stretch session.  

I need to buckle down this week and consistently log my food and stay off the booze.  I feel like I say that every Monday.  

Keep up the good work everyone.  

Guys.  It’s really hard that keep up on mileage or yoga when in Napa.

I did do a terrible walk in some heat yesterday to get five miles.  Then this morning I got up early to do yoga.  And...no way I could do yoga. Sooooo hungover.  Maybe tomorrow.  Gah.

Judge Smails said:
What would Otis do? That’s right. Have a spud with salsa for dinner.  Back on track for me. Will taste good after my Peleton ride
Winning.

Despite my on-again/off-again approach and letting loose for spring break, weighed in at 228 today.  So I haven't slipped back up above the 230 mark, but also haven't broken down below my 220 next goal mark.  But gosh, it's so close.  Will the no eating/drinking after 8 be the solution?  Maybe.  We'll see.  Off to a good start this week.  Time to make a real push from now through Memorial Day.

Guys.  It’s really hard that keep up on mileage or yoga when in Napa.

I did do a terrible walk in some heat yesterday to get five miles.  Then this morning I got up early to do yoga.  And...no way I could do yoga. Sooooo hungover.  Maybe tomorrow.  Gah.
OK, I did two yoga sessions this morning totaling about an hour.  Yay, me.  

Then I had three glasses of wine before lunch.

Ok so I am back on the diet and I guess back in on this thread.  Had gotten myself down to about 180 from 210 or so and then Covid hit and sort of stopped the diet.  Though I had kept working out by biking and using the Peloton with only a handful of gaps.  Unforunately a little too much Covid eating and drinkin had gotten me pushing close to 200 lbs again so here I go again.

Went back on WW on Monday which has worked for me in the past and with a goal weight of 175 lbs.  Wife decided to join me on this one as well which should be helpful. First big challenge is virtual wine tasting scheduled for Friday.  Last one of those I did I polished off 3 bottles of wine myself so think will have to dial it back this time. Though I didn't eat for two days after that so maybe that could help?

Ok so I am back on the diet and I guess back in on this thread.  Had gotten myself down to about 180 from 210 or so and then Covid hit and sort of stopped the diet.  Though I had kept working out by biking and using the Peloton with only a handful of gaps.  Unforunately a little too much Covid eating and drinkin had gotten me pushing at 200 lbs again so here I go again.

Went back on WW on Monday which has worked for in the past and with a goal weight of 175 lbs.  Wife decided to join me on this one as well which should be helpful. First big challenge is virtual wine tasting scheduled for Friday.  Last one of those I did I polished off 3 bottles of wine myself so think will have to dial it back this time. Though I didn't eat for two days after that so maybe that could help?
Holy #### what

Calories perplexed.

Got a Fitbit Sense at a discount via work. 

Did a lunchtime ride on my Schwinn recumbent exercise bike. I stopped right at 500 calories on the bike, 63 minutes of riding time, 18.6 miles at 17.6 mph average. 

Fitbit says I burned about 950 in 70 minutes. Bike says I burned 500 in 63 minutes. Time difference comes from pausing the bike to stretch, plus didn't turn off the Fitbit until a couple of minutes after I got off the bike.

Quite a difference. Even prorating the Fitbit for the extra 7 minutes is 850, and actually higher since those extra 7 minutes I was pretty much at rest.

Started looking at some online calculators and they tend to have the results closer to the Fitbit. I think I'll keep going off the bike for consistency. And for diet purposes, I'd rather burn more calories than I think I am, than the other way around. But wow, what a difference. 

Been back on the mat both yesterday and today.

Today was YWA Deepen and Flow.  It's a 50-min typical full body flow with some one-legged stuff and boats near the end.  

Yesterday was YWA Healthy Energy Flow.  It's one of the better Yoga for Weight Loss sessions that she has.  I actually was looking for Deepen and Flow but then realized I didn't have enough time due to meetings.  This one is also a nice full-body flow, although it is a little more basic.  Still since she gives so many options yogis can make any of them easier or harder.  

Been logging all my calories this week and was under calories and off booze yesterday (had booze Monday).

Really need to stay off the booze the next few days.  

Keep up the good work everyone.  

Calories perplexed.

Did a lunchtime ride on my Schwinn recumbent exercise bike. I stopped right at 500 calories on the bike, 63 minutes of riding time, 18.6 miles at 17.6 mph average. 

Fitbit says I burned about 950 in 70 minutes. Bike says I burned 500 in 63 minutes. Time difference comes from pausing the bike to stretch, plus didn't turn off the Fitbit until a couple of minutes after I got off the bike.

Quite a difference. Even prorating the Fitbit for the extra 7 minutes is 850, and actually higher since those extra 7 minutes I was pretty much at rest.

Started looking at some online calculators and they tend to have the results closer to the Fitbit. I think I'll keep going off the bike for consistency. And for diet purposes, I'd rather burn more calories than I think I am, than the other way around. But wow, what a difference. 
I trust myfitnesspal more than either.  

I trust myfitnesspal more than either.  
MFP has it right around where FItbit does if I consider it a "moderate" ride. There doesn't seem to be any actual description for how to determine what the different levels are in the MFP database though.

Though I had done some research online, while the monitors are pretty accurate on heart rate, the 7 devices they tested were only accurate from 27% to 93% on calories. With the Fitbit in the test having the best accuracy.  Most of the advice I saw was assume whatever number you get is too high. Though I really wonder if the Schwinn's computer is coming in under.

In any event, I'll just go with the lowest number so I'm not telling myself I can pick up an extra 300 calories today and not impact my results. 

Calories perplexed.

Damn, that's fast!  I ride a lot and am usually in the 14-15mph average on my hybrid and I would think a recumbent bike would be slower.  

I have no clue how accurate these devices are at calculating calories burned, but my Garmin usually has me in the 800 range for a 19 mile road ride.  When I do 19 miles of climbing hills on the mountain bike the Garmin has me closer to 2,000 calories burned.  

Damn, that's fast!  I ride a lot and am usually in the 14-15mph average on my hybrid and I would think a recumbent bike would be slower.  

I have no clue how accurate these devices are at calculating calories burned, but my Garmin usually has me in the 800 range for a 19 mile road ride.  When I do 19 miles of climbing hills on the mountain bike the Garmin has me closer to 2,000 calories burned.  
My experience is that riding on a stationary bike overstates speed.  I ride a lot and would say average speed on hybrid is like you and with my road bike it is like to 17-18 but in the gym or Pelaton I am pushing 20 mph, which is complete BS.  

My experience is that riding on a stationary bike overstates speed.  I ride a lot and would say average speed on hybrid is like you and with my road bike it is like to 17-18 but in the gym or Pelaton I am pushing 20 mph, which is complete BS.  
I think recumbent bikes are the ones where you are sitting reclined and have 3 wheels.  

When I was borrowing my neighbors road bike I was also in the 17-18mph range.  One thing the Peloton doesn't account for is real world conditions.  Wind, temperature, stop lights, pedestrians on trails, etc can all have a major impact on average speed.  For that reason I am not going to kick myself for riding 13mph average as opposed to 15.5mph, but I like paying attention to the general trends.  I've plateaued a bit, but it was pretty fun seeing my average speed go from the 11mph range when I started riding in the summer to where I am today.

I think recumbent bikes are the ones where you are sitting reclined and have 3 wheels.  

When I was borrowing my neighbors road bike I was also in the 17-18mph range.  One thing the Peloton doesn't account for is real world conditions.  Wind, temperature, stop lights, pedestrians on trails, etc can all have a major impact on average speed.  For that reason I am not going to kick myself for riding 13mph average as opposed to 15.5mph, but I like paying attention to the general trends.  I've plateaued a bit, but it was pretty fun seeing my average speed go from the 11mph range when I started riding in the summer to where I am today.
Not three wheeled, just means your are in a seat and your pedals are out in front of you instead of beneath you.  I had a recumbent road bike. Also had a plastic shield you could cover the front with for aerodynamics. Which did let me ride faster, but man it was pushing a lot of air. Regular bikers loved coasting behind me for that.

I was kind of expecting most things to over estimate though. Like one of the discussions I read, a guy was talking about the leaders in his Pelton class. Which the calorie burn it showed for them was exceeding that of sprint stage winners of the Tour de France, heh.

Yeah my biggest take away is just pick one for consistency. 

Not three wheeled, just means your are in a seat and your pedals are out in front of you instead of beneath you.  I had a recumbent road bike. Also had a plastic shield you could cover the front with for aerodynamics. Which did let me ride faster, but man it was pushing a lot of air. Regular bikers loved coasting behind me for that.

I was kind of expecting most things to over estimate though. Like one of the discussions I read, a guy was talking about the leaders in his Pelton class. Which the calorie burn it showed for them was exceeding that of sprint stage winners of the Tour de France, heh.

Yeah my biggest take away is just pick one for consistency. 
I think calorie burn is also tied to weight/fitness level.  I've read that as you become more fit, you burn fewer calories to do the same activity.  One of my mountain biking buddies is in crazy good shape, and rides where I burn 1,500 calories according to Garmin, his Garmin has him at 700.  He's probably hauling 30 fewer pounds up the mountain

Went back on WW on Monday which has worked for me in the past and with a goal weight of 175 lbs.  Wife decided to join me on this one as well which should be helpful. First big challenge is virtual wine tasting scheduled for Friday.  Last one of those I did I polished off 3 bottles of wine myself so think will have to dial it back this time. Though I didn't eat for two days after that so maybe that could help?
Think when I get back from this vacation I'll do a refresh on WW for a couple of months just to get back in the groove.

Been back on the mat both yesterday and today.

Today was YWA Deepen and Flow.  It's a 50-min typical full body flow with some one-legged stuff and boats near the end.  

Yesterday was YWA Healthy Energy Flow.  It's one of the better Yoga for Weight Loss sessions that she has.  I actually was looking for Deepen and Flow but then realized I didn't have enough time due to meetings.  This one is also a nice full-body flow, although it is a little more basic.  Still since she gives so many options yogis can make any of them easier or harder.  
I'll add these to my list (if not already on there) when I get some better internet reception.

I did a quick (25 minute) but nice and challenging Adriene flow this morning before getting on the road for another six or so hours of driving.  Now I'm at an incredibly beautiful spot just to the south of the Redwoods National Forest.  Tomorrow I have a permit to do the Tall Trees Trail, which doesn't appear to be difficult but at least will involve some movement.

Dickies said:
I've read that as you become more fit, you burn fewer calories to do the same activity.  
Thanks for this.  At the beginning of Covid, I started doing a lot of body combat.  When I used to do a 55 minute session, I would burn somewhere between 600-650 active calories.  I've noticed that during the past couple months, I'm lucky if I burn 550.  I wasn't sure what was going on (since I feel like I'm working out just as hard as before).  I will also say that it's gotten a lot easier for me to complete 55 minutes.  

I guess I'm getting fit!

Up at 3am (ugh), gym at 5 when it opens, nice full body lift session. Back down to 227.0 this morning (after breakfast; usually I weigh before). Body fat down to 28.9%. 

Now I need a good weekend if I’m ever going to get below 220, and then later down to 210. It’s not a lot of weight relative to the weight loss numbers folks toss around in here. But damn if I’m not struggling to get there. 

That’s the problem with going off track every weekend. If I put on weight for 2 days, then that cancels out 2 weekdays of making that up. That leaves me with 3 days a week to actually lose weight. Not gonna cut it. 

Good weekend ahead. Summer is coming way fast. 

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again. 

Starting weight: 281 lbs.  Target weight:  207.   

Update:  April 9:  262 lbs

Loss to date: 19 lbs.

------------------------------

March 12:   281 lbs  

March 19:   274 lbs

March 26:   270 lbs

April 2:       265 lbs

April 9:      262 lbs
Was hoping to lose 3 lbs so hit my goal. Monday was a bad diet day. Donated platelets and ate a sugary snack after, then had a big meal plus some snacking at night watching the game. Spent the rest of the week pushing to make up for it.

Got a Fitbit as I mentioned. I've not changed my routine because of it so far except for getting to bed a little earlier to get more sleep.  But I find the extra feedback helps keep me focused. I might start doing more walking, we'll see.  

Now that I am fully tracking activities again which I haven't done since early 2020, I noticed a huge difference that I hadn't realized I was missing but should have.  How many steps I take a day. 

For the last week I have been averaging between 3k and 4k.  A year ago with my commute I did 10k pretty much every working day given how much I walked to and from the subway and in Manhattan generally.  Much more stuck in my house here in Brooklyn even now unless I head out specifically for a workout.  So while I haven't really decreased my workout activities in the last year I have indirectly decreased them by being home so much more.  Need to rethink this a bit.  

Interesting. Do you know the approximate percentage your body slows down its metabolism by?

I still see a benefit to exercise, especially cardio, when it comes to weight loss. I figure i burn 1500 passive calories a day by doing nothing. Most of my mountain bike rides burn 1500-2000 calories. Even if my resting metabolism slowed by 50% I’m way ahead of where I would otherwise be. At the very least it gives wiggle room for dietary lapses in judgement. 

Does it talk about whether that applies to any exercise?  Meaning moderate to high intensity vs. low intensity or is it any exercise?  My totally anecdotal evidence is I’ve always had better success with low intensity/impact exercise.  Walking, cleaning the house.  
I finished the book a while ago and have been meaning to come back and comment further.

I will reaffirm that the book is well written and interesting throughout. I highly recommend it. It's written by a true expert in his field -- a front-line researcher, not a journalist -- but the writing would be stellar even for someone who writes for a living.

There is no simple formula, like if you do X calories of work, your totally daily expenditure will increase by 0.35 * X (i.e., 35% of what you'd expect if your body were a simple machine).

Here's my basic summary of the book.

1. Exercise is really good for you -- just not really for reasons involving weight control.

Some of the reasons exercise is good for you are specifically related to the reasons it doesn't necessarily help with weight control. For example, chronic inflammation costs energy. You can't make your whole body all inflamed for free -- it takes calories to sustain the inflammation. It also takes calories to be really stressed out all the time. Regular exercise is very effective at reducing chronic inflammation and chronic stress -- which is great because those things are unhealthy. But one of the results is that regular exercise reduces your caloric expenditure on inflammation and stress, which somewhat offsets your increased caloric expenditure on exercise. 

2. Long-term, our metabolisms adapt quite remarkably to our normal activity levels.

If you're trying to predict someone's daily energy expenditure (on a routine, unexceptional day), the main thing you'll want to know is their lean mass. There is variation among individuals, but lean mass is by far the most reliable indicator. After that, exposure to parasites might be the next largest factor (since immune response costs energy). Activity level, on the other hand, doesn't really tell you much. If you take two identical twins who are similar in most respects, but one walks 2 miles a day while the other walks 8 miles a day ... you can expect their daily energy expenditure to be pretty much identical. The guy who walks farther will spend more energy on walking, but less energy on inflammation, stress, etc. Your average Hadza hunter-gatherer walks about eight miles a day and does other physical activity as well, but burns the same number of calories each day as a size-matched modern American. This is an extremely surprising result, but it is robust -- tested in various ways, and not limited to just humans. It seems to be true for all mammals. Let one hamster run on a wheel for an hour a day and another for three hours a day, and after they are adapted to those activity levels, their daily energy expenditure will be similar (controlling for their size).

3. Adaptation takes a while.

The result I just mentioned occurs only after the animals are fully adapted to their activity levels. If I normally walk two miles a day, but today I walk eight miles, my energy expenditure today will be higher than normal by the amount it takes to walk the extra six miles. If I keep walking eight miles a day, my daily energy expenditure will slowly come back down to my former level (when I was walking just two miles a day), but it could take years for that to happen. In the short term, more activity means greater energy expenditure. In the long term, our bodies adapt to our normal activity levels and expend the energy predicted based on lean body mass. (There are some levels of activity that we can't adapt to. If you compete in the Tour de France every day, in the short term you will burn more energy than you can possibly consume. In the long term, you will die.)

4. Actually, exercise can help with weight control.

The point in #1 above has an asterisk. Metabolism is complicated. It's regulated largely by the hypothalamus. Our hypothalamus tries to match our calories in with our calories out in part by increasing or decreasing our appetite. If you exercise more than normal today, you'll work up an appetite and probably eat more than normal. (This is another reason why it's hard to use exercise to lose weight.) But that normal process can sometimes go haywire for reasons we don't totally understand, but it might have something to do with chronic inflammation, and in any case it's linked to sedentariness. If you just sit around on the couch all day, your hypothalamus will be confused and may tell you to eat more than you should. Your appetite may not be matched to your energy expenditure. For reasons we don't totally understand, exercise seems to help avoid that trap. Habitual exercise can rein in your appetite to an appropriate, weight-sustaining (rather than weight-gaining) level. Also, to the extent that exercise helps increase lean muscle mass, it does increase your daily energy expenditure.

The end.

Users who are viewing this thread