What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

Hey there 2nd Fam, I took off for Labor Day and then things have taken off with work mode lately, can't even put out a semi-decent exploit/avoid thread I'm so busy with work and other projects right now.

-I'm hitting my mark and I'm feeling tremendous, not sure I would have anticipated that if we rewind to like March 2020, just trying to give you some perspective from my side over here. 

-Best thing I ever did was shed all that weight, people treat me differently and a lot of folks are just meeting me for the 2nd time in life. 

This is a true story, happened less than 30 minutes ago...guy driving a dump truck or similar was lost, GPS does not work back in my neighborhood and it can be a nightmare if you don't know your way around...I opened my balcony door and hollered to the driver who was trying his best to get folks to help him, I told him to hang on and I would run down to help, my wife looked shocked but also had that wry smile of "that's my husband" and I bolted down there and told him I would hop in the truck(which is all I wanted was to ride around my neighborhood in a big ### work truck, so invigorating) and I led him to the right house. Along the way I found out he was Cuban and I am from Miami so we were buds instantly. 

I walked back in the 95 degree heat to my house, I could have gotten a lift but I didn't want it, I can walk that trek with no issues, sure I was sweaty when I got home, that's why they invented showers. I met the new home owner while I was there, he was thankful I helped out because a lot of men were waiting to work on what he was hauling in the back. 

The point is I have confidence that I can jump out there when people need help and have the right answers and the right leadership to help others. If that's the one thing you all did, was open my eyes to all the good things I can do for people in my day to day encounters, to make someone smile, to bring joy to someone that doesn't have it at the moment, that's the magic and that's how I thank all of you because I can never repay the support that I received. 

I hope you all are going to kick back like I am on Sunday and enjoy a little NFL football.  Poke_4_life, I apologize, your t-shirt is coming, just been a bit busy but no excuse not to find a mailbox 😂

Mad props to you peeps, I'll see you around the boards and swimming in the Shark Pool. 

-Be good to yourselves, please! 

Great to hear @Ministry of Pain!

Hopped on the bike this mornong to offset the steakhouse. Showed up and... changed hours and not open for 3 more.   :sadbanana:

So hit my fav Italian which is where I am now They have a lemon pepper chicken topped with sundried tomatoes and caprino goat cheese that is soft as warm butter and so good.

Then saw the mozarella sticks appetizer and have had some stuck in my head the last few days. So got those and filled up on them and Italian chicken soup and fresh bread w/oil and pepper.  Getting the entree to go for tonight. 6 months ago I would have just ate it all here and then groaned from overeating.

i dragged my ### out into the canyon yesterday.  

i.  did.  not.  want.  to.  go.  at.  all. :D  

but!  i wanted to stay consistent with the exercise.  because i'm mighty consistent with the beers. :banned:   that's 5 out of the last 6 days.  i'll go today, to make it 6/7

headed to vegas tomorrow for the game.  the goal is to workout, in the hotel gym, monday morning.   :lmao:    we shall see.

Good news: another 7,500 down. Day 2 in a row. 

Bad News: I love pizza. And cake. And French fries. And almost everything else unhealthy. 

Taking it one step at a time though. Lock down the exercise then get better on the diet. 
I'm almost never more than 48 hours from my last pizza or more than 48 hours away from my next pizza run. French fries are almost as bad and they(Fish house near me) make really nice thick cut in house steak fries that are double dipped in the oil, they cook them once and then they are dropped again before they hit the tables. I order a grilled fish sandwich but I cannot avoid the fries in there, dunk them in ketchup and salt them up or my favorite, malt vinegar. 

Completed the full walk today without hurting myself, pace was 19:20. Will probably stick to the short route during the week.

The scale says I lost 1.5 pounds this week. Although I had my Saturday bacchanal, I'll be good from here, as I have a blood draw next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diet wasn’t atrocious this weekend but there were some big slip-ups. Went to a buddy’s house to watch some football on Saturday and I was able to resist the temptation of the unhealthy gameday snacks, but I wasn’t able to say no when he offered me a beer. Was only 1 drink and my BP is still at healthy levels, but I’m still kicking myself over that.

I also got a couple bags of Sun Chips at the store after seeing that they were relatively low-sodium (110 mg per 16-chip serving). 1 serving may be low sodium, but an entire bag isn’t, and that’s what I ate during last night’s SNF game. :bag:  

Anyway, I ran 3 miles this morning at 7:51 pace and will be focusing on better portion control with my snacks. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Weekend was a mixed bag.  Didn't eat too poorly overall and stayed fairly active, but did gorge on BBQ from a local place Saturday evening.  Oh well.  Also had some booze most nights, but never got out of control.  Progress on that front.  

Walked the dog 1.5 miles today and did a 40-min down dog yoga session with core focus.  

Keep up the good work!

As I exited the cul-de-sac this morning, I turned right to do the full walk, instead of left to head home. Took a couple of minutes to realize it, lol. Wound up going almost two miles at a 19:02 pace. Getting almost impossible to do the full walk in the morning before work, but (weather permitting) we're going to give it a whirl tomorrow.

caustic is kicking himself over one beer.  I'm kicking myself over xx wines.

I had more bad days than good last week, but tracking really works for me and at least kept me in check more than I had been.  Overall given my exercise and my good days, I did OK, though not as good a first week as I usually have.  I'll grind it out better this week...well, until I go on vacation again Thursday.  :loco:  

9/6 - Week Zero - ugggggh

9/13 - Week One - -3.2 lbs

17 to go!

Walked 3 miles this morning (18:20 pace), the first part w/ the dog.  Stretched well after.  

Under calories and no booze yesterday.  Wife was feeling a little under the weather yesterday (negative Covid rapid test) and now I'm having some mild symptoms.  Hoping this is just allergies.  

Keep up the good work!

Picked up a new twinge last night walking around the house, in the ball of my left foot, at the base of the big toe. Stings/burns like fascial pain. It was still there this morning, but not terribly uncomfortable with a shoe on. So I sent it, getting back four minutes before clock-in. Pace was 18:58.  :bowtie:

I need to be careful, though. I don't have time to rehab anything more than a twinge before my vacation.

vegas was..vegas.  

sunday i kept under control.  even had a salad.  worked out hard monday morning. :pickle:   had chilquilles before i even made it back to my room :lmao:    with the game and everything i walked 10 miles on top of the work out.  i also did do my best to drink all the booze. :banned:   balance people.  balance.

good times!

Walked the dog first thing today, but been a crazy day so I just now got time to do a 40-min down dog session w/ upper body strength focus.  I forgot that I normally do yoga on an empty stomach early in the day.  This session had me really feeling like  :X  by end.  I assume it will pass soon, but I'm also shaky/hungry because I ate a light lunch on purpose.  Our bodies are complex machines.  

Keep up the good work!

Walked a little over 3 miles this morning (18:08 pace), first portion with the dog.  Stretched well after.  

Diet wasn't the best yesterday, we were missing something for dinner so of course we opted for Chick-Fil-A  :bag: .  I was only over my calories by 200 or so...  but still.  

Keep up the good work!

No issues with my diet the last couple days, and ran 3 miles this morning at 7:50 pace. Blood pressure is keeping steady at 115/75. My back has felt extremely sore after these last couple runs, which is new. Might be a posture thing, might be an overuse thing, not sure. Trying lots of stretches but I may just be due for a recovery week before increasing my mileage further. Need to keep reminding myself that sustainability > short-term results.

Heading out for a four-day vacation starting in a couple of hours.  My goal for this week is simply not to lose ground.  What was going to be a weekend of hikes and beach walks is now going to be spent mostly inside due to a big storm coming in (50 mph winds!), which will make everything more challenging.

caustic said:
No issues with my diet the last couple days, and ran 3 miles this morning at 7:50 pace. Blood pressure is keeping steady at 115/75. My back has felt extremely sore after these last couple runs, which is new. Might be a posture thing, might be an overuse thing, not sure. Trying lots of stretches but I may just be due for a recovery week before increasing my mileage further. Need to keep reminding myself that sustainability > short-term results.
where in your back?

Heading out for a four-day vacation starting in a couple of hours.  My goal for this week is simply not to lose ground.  What was going to be a weekend of hikes and beach walks is now going to be spent mostly inside due to a big storm coming in (50 mph winds!), which will make everything more challenging.

update on 9/21:  I ate all the pizza and drank all the wine on vacation, still lost 0.5 lbs.  Back at it today!

Haven't posted here much, but have followed and used for inspiration.  I appreciate all the posts and figure I'll contribute a bit. Down 30 pounds so far since 04.15 and that's with a 30 day road trip thrown in and some other Holidays.  Been eating healthy and keeping the calories down during the week with no alcohol and I play a couple hours of competitive Pickleball each night. Only drink on Friday, Saturday, and sometimes Sunday. Saturday is the cheat day and the only day I drink beer. That may not sound like much, but post COVID where I was boozing it up every day and learning to cook and look like Prudhomme in his prime it's a pretty big step.

Right in the middle, and it’s in the muscles not the spine itself (which is why I’m not too concerned at the moment). Bending over to stretch really hurts but does make it feel a bit better afterwards.
it might be a core issue. maybe focus on tightening your abs a bit, as you run.  not crazy clenched or anything.  just tighter.

and stretch before and after.

Haven't posted here much, but have followed and used for inspiration.  I appreciate all the posts and figure I'll contribute a bit. Down 30 pounds so far since 04.15 and that's with a 30 day road trip thrown in and some other Holidays.  Been eating healthy and keeping the calories down during the week with no alcohol and I play a couple hours of competitive Pickleball each night. Only drink on Friday, Saturday, and sometimes Sunday. Saturday is the cheat day and the only day I drink beer. That may not sound like much, but post COVID where I was boozing it up every day and learning to cook and look like Prudhomme in his prime it's a pretty big step.
Dude, it sounds like A LOT.  Congrats on your progress!

Diet yesterday wasn’t bad but could’ve been better. Didn’t really have dinner and was just grazing on snack food all evening. Also found 1 lonely beer at the back of the fridge and drank it. 

Ran 6 miles at 9:01 pace this morning, then proceeded to buy a pastry and some sugary mocha concoction at the local coffee shop. Fridays have consistently been my worst diet days lately. As long as my BP stays in a healthy range I won’t beat myself up too much though, that’s the main indicator I’m worried about at this point. Hope everyone else is doing well!

It turns out flank speed is available, for the 3-4 minutes I use it each trip. Pace was 18:29. Although I intend to spend next weekend in Vegas on impulse power, it's nice to know I can bark at Scotty and get a little warp drive if I need it.

Despite what the doctor's scale said about the last three months, my scale says I lost 3.7 pounds this week. There will be no ***official*** weigh-in next week, but it's important to me that I have the same or lower weight two Saturdays from now.

From May 2020 to March 2021, at the age of 50, I lost 156 lbs in 10 1/2 months, nutrition only...no exercise.  315 to 159.  Hit goal, 165, in March.  Next week will mark 6 months post goal and I'm holding steady at 165.  I needed a new goal this summer so I signed up a 5k even though I didn't run at all.  Downloaded a training app and hit the streets (almost literally hit the streets when I first started).  Ran my first 5k 3 weeks ago and got 3rd in my age group...29:58.  Running 5k #2 next Saturday, 9/24, and #3 on 10/9.  My health journey has changed my life.  Off blood pressure meds two months in...July 2020.  Ripple effect has been huge...16 year old daughter is within 2 lbs of being down 50 and my wife is over 40 lbs down in about 4 1/2 months. 

From May 2020 to March 2021, at the age of 50, I lost 156 lbs in 10 1/2 months, nutrition only...no exercise.  315 to 159.  Hit goal, 165, in March.  Next week will mark 6 months post goal and I'm holding steady at 165.  I needed a new goal this summer so I signed up a 5k even though I didn't run at all.  Downloaded a training app and hit the streets (almost literally hit the streets when I first started).  Ran my first 5k 3 weeks ago and got 3rd in my age group...29:58.  Running 5k #2 next Saturday, 9/24, and #3 on 10/9.  My health journey has changed my life.  Off blood pressure meds two months in...July 2020.  Ripple effect has been huge...16 year old daughter is within 2 lbs of being down 50 and my wife is over 40 lbs down in about 4 1/2 months. 

Un-effing-believable.  Huge congrats!!  I'm sure we'd love any tips you had on the "nutrition only" way you did this.  

Un-effing-believable.  Huge congrats!!  I'm sure we'd love any tips you had on the "nutrition only" way you did this.  
It's a program called Optavia.  You eat 6 times a day every 2.5 to 3 hours, drink minimum of 64 ounces of water, and Total game-changer for me.  I've lost and gained weight my whole life while steadily creeping upward to 315 lbs.  Offers an easy to follow plan (it does involve products...plan is called 5&1...you eat 5 "fuelings" a day and one lean & green meal you prepare), a coach that walks along side you throughout, mindset materials, and an incredible online community.  I had hit a point where I was considering sleeve surgery because I was listening to the TV describe how I was high risk for Covid...extremely obese, over 50, high blood pressure.  I had a friend from high school drop 65 on this and two friends from college (a married couple) each lose over 100.  I mentioned it to my doctor and he was familiar with it...encouraged me to give it a shot.  Thank God I did!  I committed to one month...dropped 27 lbs in my first month...came off blood pressure meds at the end of month two and never looked back.  From May 2020 to March 2021 I lost the 156 lbs.  At the end of it you transition over 6 weeks to reintroduce foods you've cut out and train yourself to eat those foods in a healthy manner within your new approach.  Now that I'm 6 months post hitting goal, my habits have proven themselves changed and dependable for long term success.  I'm happy to answer any questions.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gaoQefSurrbi8JHB6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JisFFSoQXKnYYKaR7

Last morning walk (on a workday) until March, pace was 18:16. Removing myself from the injury report, though I'm probably 90%. Next regularly scheduled exercise is Saturday, 10/2, allowing a few days to recover from my vacation. Taking today and tomorrow off because getting injured right before a trip feels like an unforced error.

update on 9/21:  I ate all the pizza and drank all the wine on vacation, still lost 0.5 lbs.  Back at it today!

You'll all be happy to know that not only did I give back the three pounds I'd lost, but I gained another 0.8 lb for good measure.  :bag:

Let's just reset today with a new start. 

Week 0:  Goal - lose 21 pounds

Diet was neither good nor bad this weekend. Overdid it a bit on snack foods but stuck with my usual healthy meals. My gf's birthday is this week, so there's definitely some booze & restaurant food in my future. Given all that, it might not be the best idea to also make this an exercise recovery week, but that is what I'm doing. I finally charted my running mileage totals and I think I'm absolutely due for a cutback week.

Week of
June 6 - July 11: Power walking only
July 12: 2 miles run
July 19: 3 mi
July 26: 4.5 mi
August 1: 6 mi
August 8: 2 mi (vacation)
August 15: 8 mi
August 22: 9 mi 
August 29: 16 mi (!!)
September 5: 16 mi
September 12: 16 mi

Had no idea I made such a sudden jump to 16 miles during the week of the 29th. No wonder I complained about my knees "randomly beginning to hurt again" that week. :lol:  Plan is to only do a couple runs this week, maybe ~8 miles total, with some leg & core strengthening exercises on my rest days. Can go to 17 miles next week and slowly increase from there if everything's feeling good. Hope everyone else is doing well! 

Users who are viewing this thread