What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (10 Viewers)

Some of you have valid reasons for being down and unmotivated Others just sound pathetic.  Enough of the excuses and whining.  It’s not that hard to lose some weight and improve your health.  Go for a dang walk every day for at least 30 minutes.   Put less junk in your pie hole.  

If any of you are struggling mentally, please disregard my message and get professional help.  

Who let these Negative Nancies in here?

I’ve been a regular in this thread for a whole 4 months and have already seen some incredible success stories. There’s definitely no shortage of effort around here. I also haven’t met a single health & fitness guru who hasn’t had a down week, a cheat day, a lack of motivation from time to time. Go on r/AdvancedRunning and you’ll find marathon runners making the same kind of Struggling With Motivation, Rough Week, Time to Rebound posts. What makes them top 1% athletes is that they DO rebound from those rough stretches, get back on track, and start kicking ### again. That’s what this thread helps us do. It’s harder to fall off the horse completely when there are some e-strangers out there waiting for a good report from you. It seems like a lot of us have gotten tripped up recently, but we’ll be back at it soon enough. Just a matter of time.  :hifive:

I took a vacation day today because I have to use them or lose them by the end of the year.  I got my allotted steps for the day, then got some chores done around the house :thumbup:

Then I made Linguine Aglio E Olio with 1 pound of pasta and ate I 3/4 of it and drank a bottle of wine :bag:   It's still basically my weekend, right? Back on track tomorrow  :)

Ok fellas.  Ok @bostonfred.  This is it.

I’m locked in.  Dialed in.  I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing, but I have a bead on the diet plan, which is the most important thing to get me started off, and I’ll sort out the exercise part after that.

1. Keto diet + MFP.  I’ve tried it before, had some success in spurts, and gotten off it.  But when it works, it works incredibly well.  And I believe very strongly in the fundamentals: that we stuff too many carbs in our pie holes, and that our bodies were built to eat less frequently and go into fat burning mode when we’re either not stuffing sugar in our faces or not eating enough at all. 

I ordered some Huel last week.  I have no idea.  I may hate it, I may love it, but I know that in my early 20s I lost like 40lbs by swapping out my lunches for Slim Fast shakes and then eating really light dinners.  No reason that can’t work again.  I got the Huel Black, which is high protein, keto friendly.  This will by my breakfast and/or lunch replacement. 

I’ll also get back to logging on MFP.  That way I can get some of those good habits back, and heaven forbid I go off the rails with a beer or two one day, I figure even if I deviate from keto, it can be a “win” day if I stay within calorie goals.

2. Exercise: I’m not entirely sure yet.  I’m a little burnt out on the rowing, so may not do that just yet.  I may just start with a daily 30 minute dog walk.  From there, I may just add in body weight and dumbbell exercises in my basement, or I may unfreeze my LA Fitness membership and get back to the gym.  But I want to get back to lifting weights — for me, I think that’s the better solution than cardio.  I just know my body and what has worked for me in the past.  I don’t want to churn up a ravenous appetite only to then be in the vicious cycle of eating a lot and then working out a lot just to burn the calories from eating a lot.  For me, the better strategy has always been a restrictive diet and doing some kind of lean muscle building, not cardio.  It worked for me in 1999, there’s no reason it can’t work again today.

In the end, it’s 90% diet.  

I took a vacation day today because I have to use them or lose them by the end of the year.  I got my allotted steps for the day, then got some chores done around the house :thumbup:

Then I made Linguine Aglio E Olio with 1 pound of pasta and ate I 3/4 of it and drank a bottle of wine :bag:   It's still basically my weekend, right? Back on track tomorrow  :)
Its Columbus Day weekend.  Traditional last feast of autumn, until the next one on Halloween and also Thanksgiving.  And veterans day obv.

I’m locked in.  Dialed in.  I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing, but I have a bead on the diet plan, which is the most important thing to get me started off, and I’ll sort out the exercise part after that.

1. Keto diet + MFP.  I’ve tried it before, had some success in spurts, and gotten off it.  But when it works, it works incredibly well.  And I believe very strongly in the fundamentals: that we stuff too many carbs in our pie holes, and that our bodies were built to eat less frequently and go into fat burning mode when we’re either not stuffing sugar in our faces or not eating enough at all. 

I ordered some Huel last week.  I have no idea.  I may hate it, I may love it, but I know that in my early 20s I lost like 40lbs by swapping out my lunches for Slim Fast shakes and then eating really light dinners.  No reason that can’t work again.  I got the Huel Black, which is high protein, keto friendly.  This will by my breakfast and/or lunch replacement. 

I’ll also get back to logging on MFP.  That way I can get some of those good habits back, and heaven forbid I go off the rails with a beer or two one day, I figure even if I deviate from keto, it can be a “win” day if I stay within calorie goals.

2. Exercise: I’m not entirely sure yet.  I’m a little burnt out on the rowing, so may not do that just yet.  I may just start with a daily 30 minute dog walk.  From there, I may just add in body weight and dumbbell exercises in my basement, or I may unfreeze my LA Fitness membership and get back to the gym.  But I want to get back to lifting weights — for me, I think that’s the better solution than cardio.  I just know my body and what has worked for me in the past.  I don’t want to churn up a ravenous appetite only to then be in the vicious cycle of eating a lot and then working out a lot just to burn the calories from eating a lot.  For me, the better strategy has always been a restrictive diet and doing some kind of lean muscle building, not cardio.  It worked for me in 1999, there’s no reason it can’t work again today.

F yeah. Let's do this gb. 

I will be doing myfitnesspal again and I've proactively rid my home of alcohol and junk food this weekend so there won't be any temptations. I won't be watching carbs but will try to keep fiber and protein up.  As usual, I'll count any calories burned from cardio towards my daily allotment because it rewards me for exercising, but I won't count weights. 

I have my basement gym about 90 percent done, and I'm on the treadmill walking in front of Monday night football as we speak.  I'm sore from moving everything around and cleaning up down here but I've got my yoga mat, weight bench, kettlebell, treadmill, rower, even a trampoline. I'm bringing a desk down here so I can do some exercise between calls, and I've got a small play area for my kid  because sometimes he wants to hang out while I run. 

I don't usually do cheat days but I'm going to this time for my birthday and Halloween are at the end of this month, Thanksgiving, and Christmas week. I'm planning to go at this for a few months because I was awful the last couple months but I've got most of it out of my system. 

I think the hard parts will be my kid wanting takeout and me saying no or having something else, and getting back off the booze.  Neither should be a deal breaker but it's easier said than done.  

I like your plan.  The shakes are gimmicky bull#### but you seem to thrive on structure like that.  What's your plan re alcohol.

F yeah. Let's do this gb. 

I will be doing myfitnesspal again and I've proactively rid my home of alcohol and junk food this weekend so there won't be any temptations. I won't be watching carbs but will try to keep fiber and protein up.  As usual, I'll count any calories burned from cardio towards my daily allotment because it rewards me for exercising, but I won't count weights. 

I have my basement gym about 90 percent done, and I'm on the treadmill walking in front of Monday night football as we speak.  I'm sore from moving everything around and cleaning up down here but I've got my yoga mat, weight bench, kettlebell, treadmill, rower, even a trampoline. I'm bringing a desk down here so I can do some exercise between calls, and I've got a small play area for my kid  because sometimes he wants to hang out while I run. 

I don't usually do cheat days but I'm going to this time for my birthday and Halloween are at the end of this month, Thanksgiving, and Christmas week. I'm planning to go at this for a few months because I was awful the last couple months but I've got most of it out of my system. 

I think the hard parts will be my kid wanting takeout and me saying no or having something else, and getting back off the booze.  Neither should be a deal breaker but it's easier said than done.  

I like your plan.  The shakes are gimmicky bull#### but you seem to thrive on structure like that.  What's your plan re alcohol.

Love your plan GB.  Sounds solid.

Re: alcohol, honestly, I don’t know.  I know that if I give it up that’ll be a huge advantage for me.  but I also know how much I damn enjoy it, and I figure, if it is within plan — both the keto carb limit and my MFP daily calorie limit — then a drink or two will not kill me.  So, I’m going to play it by ear.  Going to start with course correcting on diet first, and I’m going to take up the alcohol issue and exercise issue as it comes to me.  

If I do keto + MFP + 5am weights at the gym + no alcohol, for even just 4 months, I will absolutely be at my goal.  I’ll probably look and feel amazing.  But do I have what it goes for such sudden changes across so many areas?  Maybe.  But maybe not.  Though, as I type this, damn, that doesn’t seem all THAT hard, and for just 4 months??  hmmm….

Love your plan GB.  Sounds solid.

Re: alcohol, honestly, I don’t know.  I know that if I give it up that’ll be a huge advantage for me.  but I also know how much I damn enjoy it, and I figure, if it is within plan — both the keto carb limit and my MFP daily calorie limit — then a drink or two will not kill me.  So, I’m going to play it by ear.  Going to start with course correcting on diet first, and I’m going to take up the alcohol issue and exercise issue as it comes to me.  

If I do keto + MFP + 5am weights at the gym + no alcohol, for even just 4 months, I will absolutely be at my goal.  I’ll probably look and feel amazing.  But do I have what it goes for such sudden changes across so many areas?  Maybe.  But maybe not.  Though, as I type this, damn, that doesn’t seem all THAT hard, and for just 4 months??  hmmm….
Four months isn't that hard.  The hard part is doing it through Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm planning on eating a little candy, nothing crazy. Will probably turn off myfitnesspal on Thanksgiving. I'm taking the week off for Christmas and I'll enjoy myself then get back on track. I'd like to be at my goals by spring, which leaves me some wiggle room this time. 

This isn't usual. My dad had a bad stroke end of last week and it's hitting me hard. This is more like fighting off depression.

I made myself go do a strength workout after posting.  Didn't make it onto the bike though.
My dad had a stroke a couple weeks ago. I have been struggling too.  Every stroke is different but it sounds like your dad is talking and regaining some mobility which is awesome.  I slept in the hospital room with my dad for about a week while he was first recovering and he couldn't move his right shoulder, arm, anything.  I saw him twitching his shoulder in his sleep and I took video, showed him the next day and he tried it and was able to do it.  Now he's able to button his shirt.  But he's still got aphasia so it's really hard for him to talk. He's saying a word or two at a time and gets frustrated.  It sucks.  Keep being there for him and if you want to talk let me know.  You're a good egg and I'm rooting for you. 

:lmao:  

I just ate a cupcake from the office breakroom as I have a 0% chance of getting in home time for dinner so I suppose I shouldn't be laughing...

I just got back from Vegas early this morning.  I said that after this trip I would hold myself accountable by posting daily updates so here we go.  My main focus will be on cutting out booze (during the week) and exercising enough to burn 600 calories per day.  I'm not really planning a diet but still trying to cut back on sodium.  One thing I'll focus on is limiting snacks and then trying to eat more healthy snacks.  I was exhausted today but did a good job of limiting the snacks, didn't drink and burned off the 600 calories with a 1 mile walk and short body combat session.

My dad had a stroke a couple weeks ago. I have been struggling too.  Every stroke is different but it sounds like your dad is talking and regaining some mobility which is awesome.  I slept in the hospital room with my dad for about a week while he was first recovering and he couldn't move his right shoulder, arm, anything.  I saw him twitching his shoulder in his sleep and I took video, showed him the next day and he tried it and was able to do it.  Now he's able to button his shirt.  But he's still got aphasia so it's really hard for him to talk. He's saying a word or two at a time and gets frustrated.  It sucks.  Keep being there for him and if you want to talk let me know.  You're a good egg and I'm rooting for you. 
Thanks Fred, appreciate it.

I'm waiting to go back to Michigan to see him, he's going to get settled into a nursing home that does physical therapy, probably a lengthy stay before he can go home. There's been some worse stuff I haven't mentioned, but yeah.

If it helps to hear, this was my dad's second stroke, first was much more minor, but he had some aphasia with it. And was able to work through that too. But he was the same, would get frustrated not able to think of a word he wanted to say. Hope your dad is able to work through it all too.

Sorry to hear about your fathers, gents.  That sounds like a really hard situation.  Parents aging is rough.

Day 1 here.  234.6.  It’s not the fattest I’ve started out.  But it’s pretty fat.  If I could lose just 20lbs I’d be below my wedding weight. And lower than I’ve been in millennia.  TWENTY POUNDS.  Jesus that shouldn’t be hard.

MFP breakfast logged.  Some Uprising keto bread toast with peanut butter, coffee.  

Current plan is to not drink tonight, or any weeknight, though that’s a lot easer said at 8am than after a long day at 6pm.  

Let’s go gang.  If we can do well for the next two months, just think about how much better off we’ll be at New Year’s Resolutions time!

OT

All right @Otisgame on. If it goes in your mouth it goes in myfitnesspal. I'm easing into things today, getting sugar in my coffee at dunkin and half a bagel, but will probably switch back to milk only for the next few months. 

All right @Otisgame on. If it goes in your mouth it goes in myfitnesspal. I'm easing into things today, getting sugar in my coffee at dunkin and half a bagel, but will probably switch back to milk only for the next few months. 

Yeah, get that sugar sh** outta here, switch back to milk only for sure.  And you're looking at probably 200-250 calories or more for that half bagel once you add butter or cream cheese.  That bagel is 84% carbs.  Better off getting something better tasting and better for you, like one of the flatbreads sandwiches or wraps.  LET'S GO!

My Huel will be delivered today, hopefully by lunch to be my lunch.  If not, I may make it my dinner and go super light today.  We'll see.    

All right. Kid got me to step on the scale just now. 250 - a number I’ve never seen. I blame the passage of prop 207. 

Firing up MFP. Black coffee (you wimps need to stop adding stuff) and a perfect bar for breakfast. 

How do I add accountability buddies?

Who let these Negative Nancies in here?

I’ve been a regular in this thread for a whole 4 months and have already seen some incredible success stories. There’s definitely no shortage of effort around here. I also haven’t met a single health & fitness guru who hasn’t had a down week, a cheat day, a lack of motivation from time to time. Go on r/AdvancedRunning and you’ll find marathon runners making the same kind of Struggling With Motivation, Rough Week, Time to Rebound posts. What makes them top 1% athletes is that they DO rebound from those rough stretches, get back on track, and start kicking ### again. That’s what this thread helps us do. It’s harder to fall off the horse completely when there are some e-strangers out there waiting for a good report from you. It seems like a lot of us have gotten tripped up recently, but we’ll be back at it soon enough. Just a matter of time.  :hifive:

This post rocks.

I'm in for daily accountability posts.  I've usually posted fairly general weekly updates, but I think daily for a while will be better.  Starting today I'll do the daily posts here along with many of you. I've never wanted to post them before because they seem boring in theory, but I enjoy reading everyone else's, so I guess mine will be fine, too.

Just got back from a five-day "vacation" to visit family in Louisville.  The bad parts fitness-wise were my food and alcohol intake, but on the plus side I did yoga at least once per day and got a TON of walking in.  Walking in 87-degree, 98% humidity heat.  So I don't feel too, too bad about where I am, though I haven't weighed. 

Back from vacation, and back to the grind...  mostly.

Got lots of exercise in the mountains the last week+, but that was negated by poor diet choices and consuming all of the wine/liquor.  All of it.  Also took a yoga mat with me and never used it once.  Did some stretching and yoga poses one time for like 10 minutes, but  :bag: .

Anyway, walked the dog 1.5 miles today and did a gentle 30-min yoga session.   Plan to start a dry out today, we'll see how long it lasts as life stresses have been kicking me in the groin since getting home.  Joy!

I've been using MFP for a long time, if someone wants to add me on there just send me a PM.

Edit:  Keep up the good work!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
krista4 said:
I'm in for daily accountability posts.  I've usually posted fairly general weekly updates, but I think daily for a while will be better.  Starting today I'll do the daily posts here along with many of you. I've never wanted to post them before because they seem boring in theory, but I enjoy reading everyone else's, so I guess mine will be fine, too.

Just got back from a five-day "vacation" to visit family in Louisville.  The bad parts fitness-wise were my food and alcohol intake, but on the plus side I did yoga at least once per day and got a TON of walking in.  Walking in 87-degree, 98% humidity heat.  So I don't feel too, too bad about where I am, though I haven't weighed. 

These daily updates are stupid, but super helpful.  I enjoy reading everyone else's, and it turns out that, when I'm doing them regularly, I tend to stay on course.  Causation/correlation problem there maybe, but whatever, it seems to help...

So keep it up!  We all should, maybe we can get some momentum.

These daily updates are stupid, but super helpful.  I enjoy reading everyone else's, and it turns out that, when I'm doing them regularly, I tend to stay on course.  Causation/correlation problem there maybe, but whatever, it seems to help...

Yeah, this is how I feel.  When I think of doing it myself, it seems self-centered and stupid.  But I like reading everyone else's.  Glad to see we have much of the band back together here.  Should help.

Did another 4 easy miles at 9:28 pace and the foot is still holding up. Every so often I’ll get a small twinge of pain and think “OMG it’s back” but it never lasts. This thing has gotten to my head a little bit. :lol:  Ordered a foot compression sleeve last night just to be safe.

Diet has been uneventful which is always good. Measured my BP for the first time in a week, stone cold normal. Have a scheduled rest day tomorrow and then will get back to grinding (at a slow, responsible pace) on Thursday. Good to see some momentum picking up in here.  :thumbup:

I ate pretty well today (not great).  I had to make Mac n Cheese for dinner for my kid's school "project."  Also ate a pretty big lunch (although not too unhealthy of one).  Snacks today were carrots in the morning, less than quarter cup nuts and 5 mini pretzel sticks (oh and a mini size 50 calorie pack of Mike & Ike    :lmao:  ).  Most importantly - no booze.

I had a really hectic day of meetings so only got in a half mile walk but also did a little yard work.  I have about 150 calories to burn to hit my 600 calorie goal.  About to put in a 30 minute strength workout to hit my goal.

On another note, life has just been so stressful lately.  My wife and I are in a funk where we're either arguing (today in front of the little kids) or just not talking at all (which is more common).  I don't really even know what triggered it but it's been going on for over a month now.  Fortunately we have our first couples therapy session this Friday so really hoping that helps (but doubtful).  On top of that, work has been incredibly stressful.

Anyways that was a digression and sorry for venting.  Just need an outlet from time to time.  

I ate pretty well today (not great).  I had to make Mac n Cheese for dinner for my kid's school "project."  Also ate a pretty big lunch (although not too unhealthy of one).  Snacks today were carrots in the morning, less than quarter cup nuts and 5 mini pretzel sticks (oh and a mini size 50 calorie pack of Mike & Ike    :lmao:  ).  Most importantly - no booze.

I had a really hectic day of meetings so only got in a half mile walk but also did a little yard work.  I have about 150 calories to burn to hit my 600 calorie goal.  About to put in a 30 minute strength workout to hit my goal.

On another note, life has just been so stressful lately.  My wife and I are in a funk where we're either arguing (today in front of the little kids) or just not talking at all (which is more common).  I don't really even know what triggered it but it's been going on for over a month now.  Fortunately we have our first couples therapy session this Friday so really hoping that helps (but doubtful).  On top of that, work has been incredibly stressful.

Anyways that was a digression and sorry for venting.  Just need an outlet from time to time.  

I'm sorry to hear of the life stress.  In the past I've actually found marriage counseling to be useful (please set aside the fact I got divorced, haha), so I'm more hopeful than you are that you guys will see some benefits from it.  Good job avoiding the booze when facing that stress, by the way!

still sidelined by the ankle.  will probably attempt something tomorrow.  gonna go dry for a while as well.  not being aBLE to balance the booze with exercise is a problem.
:banned:   but only 2 beers :bag:   my f'ing ankle was killing me.  i pushed it today, doing a bunch of stuff for my parents, at their house.

sidebar:  earlier in the day, my mom said lets go to home depot.  i said i didn't really want to go to home depot.  i leave her house and go straight to home depot because the wife wants me get a staple gun.  while at home depot, my mom face times me.  this is unusual, since i left her house 5 minutes ago, so i answer.  she's lost her purse, is it in my car?  then she says, wait a minute, where are you?  home depot :lmao:   good times.

eta:  mom's purse was on her chair, in her office.

You can but only if those posts also happen on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. 

I'm sorry to hear of the life stress.  In the past I've actually found marriage counseling to be useful (please set aside the fact I got divorced, haha), so I'm more hopeful than you are that you guys will see some benefits from it.  Good job avoiding the booze when facing that stress, by the way!
Thanks Krista.  We have been married for 13 years and together for 18 years and overall have had a pretty strong foundation.  I’m sure we will get through it.  

Wanted to provide update. I’m down 50 in 7 months. OMAD and Keto. I fast weekly Tuesday 7 pm until Thursday 5 pm. I avoid sugar and religiously walk 10K steps a day. Haven’t missed a day in 590 days. Didn’t start losing weight until I changed my diet. Exercise alone didn’t do anything . 

Thanks Krista.  We have been married for 13 years and together for 18 years and overall have had a pretty strong foundation.  I’m sure we will get through it.  

Good luck Fred.

Reminds me of a joke I tell all the time about marriage... my wife and I are going to be married for 28 years in 4 days... been the happiest 20 years of my life  :lol:  

Morning @Otis , everyone.  Day two and I'm going with a new k cup this morning.  Wegman light roast salted caramel.  I usually put a little international delights and a little milk with my k cups but this is pretty good with just milk. I'm also switching back to coffee milk only at dunkin on the mornings I drive my kid to school.  Shaving off calories where I can.  A year ago I was still putting sugar in it even while dieting, so this represents real progress. 

Still sore from settling up the basement this weekend, especially my hamstrings.  Will do some yoga during a break between meetings and i should take the day off from running because I'm still working my way back to it.  It’s tough because I want the extra calories. Maybe I'll do a long walk instead. 

Happy to see so much activity here.  I remember a few days not long ago when it felt like I was the only one posting.  

Mixed bag for me yesterday.  No booze, but I went over on calories.  Told myself I was eating the bad stuff so it's not in the house anymore, but really it was just me eating crap due to stress.  Plan to stay off the booze and eat better today.  

Already did a pretty tough 40-min yoga session this morning.  Been storming here but plan to walk the dog later between meetings.  

Keep up the good work!

I'll join the daily updates because I need some additional motivation.  Weigh in this morning was 201.8 and I like to be below 200... I've been fluctuating above/below 200 for a while now.  Good news is that when I go over (like today) I've been able to reign it in and get back under pretty quickly.  In the past I would let that balloon (pun intended) to 210 or 215 and have a lot more work to do.

Started off on the right foot today - 45 minute walk this morning and oatmeal/honey/raspberries for breakfast. Also made a big pot of Chicken and Barley soup last night so we have some healthy meals available for the next couple days... no excuses now!  

Love this activity!

I finished yesterday logging all on MFP, under my limit, and also within my keto carb limit (30ish should work for me).  I did break down and have a glass of white one (just one, and it was within my calorie budget).  Also walked the dog yesterday.

Healthy start to today and marching ahead, staying the course. 

Loving all the activity, too!  Great job to all.  

Day one for me yesterday was pretty good.  I did 53 minutes of moderate-intensity yoga but no other activity.  

I tend to eat well and/or very little all day, but evenings are what end up killing me if anything does.  At lunch I often have half a sandwich and maybe some fruit or a bag of these, which are really tasty and 80 calories a bag instead of 200 in chips.  I also like their buffalo-flavored ones (they also have ranch).  Yesterday was in keeping with this normal lunch - had a slice of rye bread with some turkey and mustard, and a bag of the veggie snaps.  In the afternoon snacked on a dill pickle spear and half a Twizzler. 

Then at dinner, I realized I had very little in the house because I'd been out of town, so I had half a tuna sandwich, some grapes, and another bag of the veggie snaps.  Not really a nutritionally healthy day, but low in calories/WW points and today I've procured fresh vegetables again so will eat better.

The only down part for the day was wine intake, as I had two glasses.  That's not a lot, but it isn't good for a random Tuesday.  Even with the wine, I was under my WW points.

I usually weigh on Mondays, but being out of town missed it this week.  Weighed this morning instead, and found I'm up 13 pounds from my 2021 low, which was in mid-June.  So I'd like to lose those 13 pounds, plus another 5 to get back down to where I was in 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread