What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (15 Viewers)

rick6668 said:
Potato waffle for breakfast, made it last night and heated up in the toaster at work this morning.  Everyone was saying it smelled delicious and it was.

Back to a regular lunch today, some grilled chicken breast, cucumbers, celery, peppers, tomato and an apple
let me just give you an early  :thanks:  regarding the potato waffle idea.  just tried it and it was pretty awesome.   i never know the sticking power of some of these ideas, but this one has some serious potential.   

let me just give you an early  :thanks:  regarding the potato waffle idea.  just tried it and it was pretty awesome.   i never know the sticking power of some of these ideas, but this one has some serious potential.   
Yeah, if I wasn't trying to lose weight, this would be excellent with some bacon mixed in topped with some sour cream, green onion and cheddar

OFFICIAL WEEK 3 WEIGH-IN

Starting Weight: 288

Last Week: 272.4

Current Weight: 266.6

Lost: 5.8 lbs

Total Lost: 21.4 lbs

Total % Lost: 7.4%

@fantasycurse4

Edited 1 hour ago by AAABatteries   
Starting doing the fitbit thing and got 4000 steps (the minimum setting) five days and did one band workout. Plan on incrementally increasing the steps and going to try another cortisone shot in my knee

Only went over 30 carbs one day (barely) but do not seem to be in ketosis, my probably having well under 1500 calories (and a very significant percentage of that is booze)

I drink 4-6 nights a week, usually 5-10 oz of booze or 1-1.5 bottles of wine. A new coctail I really like that seems to work for me:
muddle mint or basil in a glass, add 6 oz vodka, 3 oz of Gingerade kombucha, and top off with Lacroix lime seltzer and a squeeze in half of  a Myers lemon.

I smoke weed before I do my walks. Makes it more bearable.

@Otis Thanks for starting this up, the support, competition and accountability  have been really helpful.

Starting doing the fitbit thing and got 4000 steps (the minimum setting) five days and did one band workout. Plan on incrementally increasing the steps and going to try another cortisone shot in my knee

Only went over 30 carbs one day (barely) but do not seem to be in ketosis, my probably having well under 1500 calories (and a very significant percentage of that is booze)

I drink 4-6 nights a week, usually 5-10 oz of booze or 1-1.5 bottles of wine. A new coctail I really like that seems to work for me:
muddle mint or basil in a glass, add 6 oz vodka, 3 oz of Gingerade kombucha, and top off with Lacroix lime seltzer and a squeeze in half of  a Myers lemon.

@Otis Thanks for starting this up, the support, competition and accountability  have been really helpful.
HTF do you work the next day?

IMO... that's why you don't seem to think you're in ketosis.  Alcohol will always burn first...

Here's that article I mentioned previously about sugars.

@culdeus unpack this for us and report back please. 
Those HOMA studies that are coming out confuse me a bit.  And this one is no different.  You have 3 populations with the same A1C but dramatically different HOMA and Glucose figures.  

The UK I think is doing the most HOMA screening right now, and they've been finding some interesting things.  HOMA is usually the test they give you to see if you are "Pre-Diabetes"  even if your A1C hasn't shown any elevation.  

They said they threw out Type 1 Diabetics from the study which I thought was odd, but they went on to say it didn't change much, which makes no sense at all to me since they go on to ascribe some sort of Beta Cell mechanism as a possible root cause.  If this was the case you would expect T1D to have no effect, and if they did then you have to question that mechanism.  

Really at this point I don't quite know what to make of HOMA studies.  They do seem to be blowing apart some of Taubes' stuff with this testing.   HOMA of course, is the thing you can really tweak on a potato diet.  People have been known to "cheat" their screenings by 10 days of potatoes.  

IMO... that's why you don't seem to think you're in ketosis.  Alcohol will always burn first...
Hmm good point I hadn't considered. But as long as I can maintain Consistent weight loss, its working. And honestly, I feel pretty crappy after a couple days in ketodis.

Came into the city for the rangers game. Son wanted to come to my favorite bbq place. Got the brisket sandwich with corn on cob instead of my go to ayce wings and rib tips with soda. 

And a word of advise for those of your who actually do lose weight (Otis and Woz you can ignore the rest of this post), do not buy a majority of your pants at your absolute thinnest.  I made this mistake and even though it's awesome to be able to do at the time, if you gain even a relatively minor amount of weight (10 - 20lbs), the pants will no longer fit as you'd like.  I have either fat pants or skinny pants, almost none in between.  It's motivating yet kind of sucks at the same time.
Solution.

ETA:  Not hitting on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the week I was hoping for.  Worked hard and ate well but didn't get the results.  Based on a weigh in this morning I thought I was going to be up a smudge, but a hard work out and lifting session combined with a 150 cal lunch moved things back in the right direction.  Technically I should be weighing in on Tuesday as that's when I started.

Came into the city for the rangers game. Son wanted to come to my favorite bbq place. Got the brisket sandwich with corn on cob instead of my go to ayce wings and rib tips with soda. 
Getting that OT win vs. the Red Wings was awesome.

-----

I think I've gotten peoples' inputs this week.  At a conference, so gonna be slow.  

Week has gotten off poorly.  Stuck in an airport Sunday night for forever.  Finally got my flight at 3:30AM.  Made it to my hotel room at 6:30.  Had breakfast and went to sleep.  Woke up at noon and worked a 10 hour day.  So no exercise and had to eat with clients - bleh.  I feel like a bloated warthog.

Hope you guys are mixin' in some roughage.  Potatoes.  Potato waffles? Tuna? Don't be that guy gruntin' for half an hour in stall 3.

Protein.  Salad.  Veggies.  Make the exceptions the exceptions, but enjoy life.  Water.  Exercise. 

It ain't rocket science, and doesn't need to be a yo-yo.  Lifestyle.  But you know this.

Hope you guys are mixin' in some roughage.  Potatoes.  Potato waffles? Tuna? Don't be that guy gruntin' for half an hour in stall 3.

Protein.  Salad.  Veggies.  Make the exceptions the exceptions, but enjoy life.  Water.  Exercise. 

It ain't rocket science, and doesn't need to be a yo-yo.  Lifestyle.  But you know this.
Oh wow you're right that's easy!

I really need some inspiration here.  Struggling to care. 
Get in decent shape so you can play and chase after your daughters.  And so they'll be proud when they see you compared to other dads.  And so Mrs. O doesn't have to check out her tennis coaches and wistfully be reminded of the old Oats.

BECOME THE OLD OTIS!

or how about so you don't die of a heart attack or stroke when you're still relatively young dumb ###. 

Get in decent shape so you can play and chase after your daughters.  And so they'll be proud when they see you compared to other dads.  And so Mrs. O doesn't have to check out her tennis coaches and wistfully be reminded of the old Oats.

BECOME THE OLD OTIS!

or how about so you don't die of a heart attack or stroke when you're still relatively young dumb ###. 
These are all valid. 

Well since charity doesn't motivate you, maybe you can work out a deal with Mrs. Oats where she gives you an extra dot for each pound you lose and deducts a dot every time you gain a pound.  Or maybe you can just think about doing it so you don't die so your daughters can go to college rather than becoming flight attendants that guys who are in shape hit on.

I'm doing this for myself, no doubt. But I'm also doing this for my wife. I'm not obese, but I'm a little overweight. I want to slim down so that my wife finds me incredibly sexy and wants to do it all the time.

How's Mrs. Oats doing?

I'm doing this for myself, no doubt. But I'm also doing this for my wife. I'm not obese, but I'm a little overweight. I want to slim down so that my wife finds me incredibly sexy and wants to do it all the time.

How's Mrs. Oats doing?
She's been pregnant the last 5 years it seems.  Apparently Mrs. Oat's loves her some overweight, overworked Otis.

Yo-yos are awesome.

Why do you hate fat America?

So slammed at work - have a pretty well known company recruiting me too to lead a new line of business, haven't had 5 minutes to scratch my ### in the last 2 weeks.

Decent stuff happening, so busy that I've been skipping meals.

Weighed in this morning fully clothed at 218, I'll assume no clothes probably has me around 215-216.

@Sand I'll call it 215.5

So slammed at work - have a pretty well known company recruiting me too to lead a new line of business, haven't had 5 minutes to scratch my ### in the last 2 weeks.

Weighed in this morning fully clothed at 218, I'll assume no clothes probably has me around 215-216.

@Sand I'll call it 215.5
Trump University?

@Sand I'll call it 215.5
If you don't mind sharing, what's your educational background?  No reason except just curious about you dudes who make it in the big city.

Hmm good point I hadn't considered. But as long as I can maintain Consistent weight loss, its working. And honestly, I feel pretty crappy after a couple days in ketodis.
If you don't become fat-adapted (takes 3-4 weeks of solid keto), you will always feel crappy after a couple days in ketosis (keto-flu)

If you don't mind sharing, what's your educational background?  No reason except just curious about you dudes who make it in the big city.
I went to a #### college and have a background in economics. I don't know what my boss studied in college, but he prob pulls $750k a year all in and went to an equivalent ####ty college as me. He prob isn't going anywhere, so for me to advance, most likely I have to make a move. I've been at the same company for 5 years with a strong track record as the company has exploded, makes me attractive to recruiters. Also, a previous company where I was like the 45th employee was bought for like $400MM after I left. My career path thus far is more attractive to companies than my educational background, and it isn't even close. I actually try and avoid educational discussions during an interview process.

I've got a very strong record at startups, so career wise I can go with startups or now that one of them turned into a powerhouse, I can go to a larger company too.

If I was single, I'd prob be more interested in another startup, the R/R is great if you chose the right company, can make $$$ if things go right, but on the flip side, you donate a few years, so if it fails, you basically just wasted the time. Having a family now, I'm less inclined to take those chances and probably go more at the sure thing - lower reward, lower risk. If I end up going to this new company and do really well and have a big cushion, then I might give thought to taking 2-3 years at a startup afterwards. 

A good friend of mine who is absolutely tearing the technology scene up went to an even ####tier college and has a degree in liberal arts. He just left a company that 90% of this board prob uses to go to a startup founded by a guy who sold his last startup for over $500MM, he was the 5th employee. He left a guaranteed $500k on the table to take a run at a payday north of $7-8MM in the next 4-5 years.

TL;DR

My takeaway; technology companies are not like financial companies IMO - For a big financial company, usually the Ivy degree accompanied by a strong MBA is a necessity for solid advancement and financial success. Career path and abilities far outweigh education in technology.

Users who are viewing this thread