What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (1 Viewer)

Since we relocated out of NYC we don’t have access to my Peloton bike so went out and did a 2.5 mile run. Haven’t run in a long time and will see how it works on my back. Luckily carrying a lot less weight now so hopefully not as bad as it used to be. 

Plan to go for a run tomorrow as well. Tracking eating has gone by way side but haven’t been pigging out yet.  

Were we all starting some individual challenges or something today?  I feel like I'm behind already on whatever we're doing.

Meanwhile, in the running thread...wow, they are not messing around.

Were we all starting some individual challenges or something today?  I feel like I'm behind already on whatever we're doing.

Meanwhile, in the running thread...wow, they are not messing around.
Right?  This is why they must be beaten.  Not at the things they're good at, obviously, because we're not those kinds of people.  But the things we're good at.  Like promising ourselves that we'll beat them at something but not actually deciding what and not knowing whether we're supposed to have started yet.  That's our game and we will beat them at it in some vague unspecified way.  

Ok seriously i think i can get myself down to a 25 minute 5k. I was under 26 a little while back for the first time and that was pretty exciting until those ####### dicknoses decided to all post their times at once. I could maybe even get under 25 if I train.  I have no idea what my mile looks like, but when i pt the treadmill to 8.5mph I feel like I've made a huge mistake.  7 minutes would  be a big achievement for me, and anywhere closer to 6 is not realistic.  My 10k time is tbd as i was running about 8k as my long run and that was before The Fattening.  

We may be handicapped by a lifetime of poor decisions but we are not above accepting charity and a handicap in this race is the only way we can actually compete if we go on their turf.  Does anyone else want to do this?   

Let's teach them that we're worse and know it but that we can be better than their (and our) low expectations of us!

Ok seriously i think i can get myself down to a 25 minute 5k. I was under 26 a little while back for the first time and that was pretty exciting until those ####### dicknoses decided to all post their times at once. I could maybe even get under 25 if I train.  I have no idea what my mile looks like, but when i pt the treadmill to 8.5mph I feel like I've made a huge mistake.  7 minutes would  be a big achievement for me, and anywhere closer to 6 is not realistic.  My 10k time is tbd as i was running about 8k as my long run and that was before The Fattening.  

We may be handicapped by a lifetime of poor decisions but we are not above accepting charity and a handicap in this race is the only way we can actually compete if we go on their turf.  Does anyone else want to do this?   

Let's teach them that we're worse and know it but that we can be better than their (and our) low expectations of us!
I’m in.  My 10 mile run is over so I’m going to start sprinkling in a few runs a week focused on increasing my 1 mile speed.  

Fred>

Quick question.  If one of our team members were laying on a leather sofa drinking red wine right now, hadn't exercised today and just called it an off day -- is that the kind of thing that we think might help us in our strategy?

Just curious.

A true competitor,

Oats

Monday.  Monday is it. Monday the 4:45am alarm kicks back in. The daily rowing starts again. The routine. I’ll start skipping breakfast again, and figure out a hack for a light lunch.  Actually there are some really good salad delivery places nearby, and maybe I’ll just make that dinner every night. 

This is our time. Down here, it’s our time. It’s our time down here. That’s all over the second we ride up “Troy’s bucket”.

Look, we are locked in. We just have to exercise and not put crap in our mouths.  That’s it. That’s the easiest stuff in the world. And if we do that, when there’s a big corona end beach party this summer?  Oh yeah.  Who wants to touch the abs??!

Pick skills we’re uniquely good at. It can’t be just running. There needs to be a rowing segment. Maybe an Oreo eat-off segment. 
Challenge accepted

You clearly haven't heard about the love connection between triathlon and Oreos.  You don't stand a chance. It's like Takeru Kobayashi. 

Monday sounds good for a new start.  I'll be honest:  this week has been a huge diet bust with the stress eating and particularly the drinking.  There might have been tequila.  A lot of tequila.  Monday sound like a good time to start because it is not tomorrow.

Monday sounds good for a new start.  I'll be honest:  this week has been a huge diet bust with the stress eating and particularly the drinking.  There might have been tequila.  A lot of tequila.  Monday sound like a good time to start because it is not tomorrow.
Exactly. I generally like to try and keep a one or two day buffer between today and the day I’m going to start eating well. 

Opposite for me- stress pacing in the mornings, have lost 12 lbs. I manage a bar and can’t work, and most of my drinking would be 1-2 after work at the bar; don’t really ever drink at home anymore, so cut those calories and add a bunch of steps and it’s coming right off. 

Opposite for me- stress pacing in the mornings, have lost 12 lbs. I manage a bar and can’t work, and most of my drinking would be 1-2 after work at the bar; don’t really ever drink at home anymore, so cut those calories and add a bunch of steps and it’s coming right off. 
Damn.  Sorry for the hardship, but that sure is a nice bright side.  I'm definitely a "comfort eat and drink" guy when I'm stressed.  This is an ungood situation for my wasitline given my proclivities. 

Damn.  Sorry for the hardship, but that sure is a nice bright side.  I'm definitely a "comfort eat and drink" guy when I'm stressed.  This is an ungood situation for my wasitline given my proclivities. 
You posted at 10pm, 3am and 7am. Did you wake up to pee, still kind of drunk, and start posting?

I want to average 10K steps per day for the whole year and I was off to a good start with an average of over 11K steps per day on through 3/10.

This last week I averaged a pitiful 3650 steps per day :bag:  But I've made up for that by drinking 13 of the last 15 days :lol:

This first week of confinement was a shock to the system and an adjustment period is certainly understandable.  I need to get back to at least 10K steps per day because a couple drinks with dinner seems like it's going to continue for a while.

PS: good luck with the challenge vs the 10K thread guys.

I want to average 10K steps per day for the whole year and I was off to a good start with an average of over 11K steps per day on through 3/10.

This last week I averaged a pitiful 3650 steps per day :bag:  But I've made up for that by drinking 13 of the last 15 days :lol:

This first week of confinement was a shock to the system and an adjustment period is certainly understandable.  I need to get back to at least 10K steps per day because a couple drinks with dinner seems like it's going to continue for a while.

PS: good luck with the challenge vs the 10K thread guys.
This is a great point on steps.  Due to my commute I was typically getting a large number of steps on weekdays.  That's all vanished now that we're housebound.  I need to make a bigger effort to get out for long walks with the family.  Of course, the catch is, the little kids don't want to walk as long; and I feel bad leaving Mrs. O home with them while I'm out trotting around town.  And the weather still being mostly in the 40s doesn't help much.  Really nobody has much interest in being outside.

The weather is maybe the thing that I find the most frustrating.  If spring could freaking get here already, and we could have regular temps in the 60s, it would make people feel a lot happier about getting outside for fresh air and sunlight.  It would be so good for everyone's mental state.  

Look down at my iPhone -- great, nothing but 40s and 50s for the next 10 days.  ####.

This is a great point on steps.  Due to my commute I was typically getting a large number of steps on weekdays.  That's all vanished now that we're housebound.  I need to make a bigger effort to get out for long walks with the family.  Of course, the catch is, the little kids don't want to walk as long; and I feel bad leaving Mrs. O home with them while I'm out trotting around town.  And the weather still being mostly in the 40s doesn't help much.  Really nobody has much interest in being outside.

The weather is maybe the thing that I find the most frustrating.  If spring could freaking get here already, and we could have regular temps in the 60s, it would make people feel a lot happier about getting outside for fresh air and sunlight.  It would be so good for everyone's mental state.  

Look down at my iPhone -- great, nothing but 40s and 50s for the next 10 days.  ####.
March regression, it was inevitable.

This is typically the way Otis sleeps.
Sounds you sleep like crap too.   A couple of glasses of bourbon last night didn’t help.   

Im working out again today.  My diet isn’t that good but the workouts are rolling along and keeping me in the game.   Many of us were making good progress and need to focus before we give back too much ground.   

krista4 said:
We should make it more like a decathlon.  We choose five events; they choose five.
A decathlon might be too ambitious in my opinion, but what about a pentathlon?  

Possible events:

1 mile run (Otis thread people get a handicap since this is in 10Kers wheelhouse)

Rowing challenge of some sort

Number of crunches in specific amount of time

Number of pushups in specific amount of time

Planking for as long as possible

Those are just off the top of my head.  There are probably some better events I'm not thinking of.  People can choose which events they want to participate in and we take averages to figure out the winning team.  It would be nice if results could be verified (Strava, video recordings, etc.) but we can be on the honor system when necessary.

Give about a month to train and we pick a weekend to hold the event.

@Boston Fred  What do you think?

A decathlon might be too ambitious in my opinion, but what about a pentathlon?  

Possible events:

1 mile run (Otis thread people get a handicap since this is in 10Kers wheelhouse)

Rowing challenge of some sort

Number of crunches in specific amount of time

Number of pushups in specific amount of time

Planking for as long as possible

Those are just off the top of my head.  There are probably some better events I'm not thinking of.  People can choose which events they want to participate in and we take averages to figure out the winning team.  It would be nice if results could be verified (Strava, video recordings, etc.) but we can be on the honor system when necessary.

Give about a month to train and we pick a weekend to hold the event.

@Boston Fred  What do you think?
This is coming together nicely. 

(Fred, Psst, we need some more events that may favor those in poor physical shape)!!

Life constantly throws curveballs. It's on you to adjust to them or just stand there with the bat on your shoulder.
Yup. Not going to make excuses. Tomorrow I’m back on track, and setting a new routine that will be the quarantine variant of what I was doing.

In a sense, this could be a very positive thing for fitness. No commute, no business travel, no social obligations, time for meal preparation, a more flexible schedule than I’ll ever have again in my life. It’s kind of like fat camp. You just go away from everyone for three months and come out of it a different person. 

Beer mile? Could be the right blend to balance out the strengths of drinkers and runners. I can’t pound beer now a days.
Maybe just a beer 400 meters.  (Chug a beer and run one lap.)

Edit: or 800 with 2 beers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread