What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

30 minute row, 15 minute run, 15 minute walk and some pushups and negatives. Snowed unexpectedly and i played with my kid outside, pulling him on a sled through very little snow down not much of a hill might have been the toughest workout of the day but he had a blast.  

Ate some chicken lo mein and pizza, but also had skyr and berries so I ended up with good macros and enough calories left over for some wine. Which I am about to enjoy, after this next post.

I was looking at possible challenges for this month. I'm good with

- weight loss challenge, if @Otis commits, I will too. I can do another month for a good cause. 

- cardio minutes challenge, since we have people running and rowing and biking. 30 minutes a day 

- 30 days of yoga. Saw someone on reddit suggest yoga with adriene camp but I haven't looked that closely. 

- any of the above, plus core challenge. Do 15 to 25 minute ab workouts 6 days a week in November. Let's get ripped!

- any of the above, plus exercises to kill those love handles. I've got them. I don't want them. 

- pullup challenge. If you can't do a pullup, like me, work towards it. If you can, let's do more and with a little extra weight.  This one is tough to quantify.  I really want to get there but I think it will take more than a month for me. 

I was looking at possible challenges for this month. I'm good with

- weight loss challenge, if @Otis commits, I will too. I can do another month for a good cause. 

- cardio minutes challenge, since we have people running and rowing and biking. 30 minutes a day 

- 30 days of yoga. Saw someone on reddit suggest yoga with adriene camp but I haven't looked that closely. 

- any of the above, plus core challenge. Do 15 to 25 minute ab workouts 6 days a week in November. Let's get ripped!

- any of the above, plus exercises to kill those love handles. I've got them. I don't want them. 

- pullup challenge. If you can't do a pullup, like me, work towards it. If you can, let's do more and with a little extra weight.  This one is tough to quantify.  I really want to get there but I think it will take more than a month for me. 
My son is finally back in-person school next week so that will free up time during the day to knock out a workout.  I’m in for any of the exercise challenges.  I’ll even do yoga with Adriene if that’s what we settle on. 

Got an unbelievable 90 minute massage today.  After days of work, peleton, golf etc I was a mess.  Go at it hard but be good to your body.  Deep tissue/stretching.  Pure bliss.

Tracking macros is new for me in the last few months. 

I had no idea how good berries were for fiber.  That's been one of the hardest numbers for me to hit while I was cutting calories, eating oatmeal and broccoli and salads and stuff every day and barely getting to 20 or 25.  

Had a bowl of strawberries and raspberries for breakfast and I'm already over 20g for the day. Like 20 raspberries and 6 strawberries and it's only like 125 calories for the bowl. 

That probably doesn't mean much to some of you.  It didn't mean much to me. 

I always read about how good these foods were for you but somehow in my mind they were solving this imaginary problem, like I'm fine why would I care about acai berries and almonds and flax seed and all that crap when I'm perfectly healthy eating pizza and wine. I was not perfectly healthy, obviously, but my denial isn't the point.  I was fat, I've gotten less fat, and I'm becoming aware of the problems that made me fat in the first place. 

Now that I'm actually trying to solve my own problems, as opposed to some doctor's opinion of what I was doing wrong, I am paying attention. Hearing that nutritionists say raspberries are a super food meant nothing to me. Trying to get 20+g fiber and 100+g protein and stay under 1500 calories made it a game. And suddenly I care very much about the why of it, because if I can get my fiber in 100 calories of berries then I can have that pizza and wine if I want to. 

The first 40 lbs I lost, I didn't care about any of this, I was just cutting calories. I started working out more to earn food because I realized how much more I could eat if I walked, and how much more after that as I started running again. And I feel like that was a life changing learning experience for me, to kind of reimagine my daily relationship with food and drink and exercise. 

This more recent time, as I was paying more attention to fiber and protein, i have started to care a lot more about the quality of food I'm eating. And holy crap are raspberries good for you. I was eating a huge bowl of broccoli, a salad and two packets of instant oatmeal for like 800 calories and getting the same fiber i just got from 100 calories of berries. 

If I didn't care about hitting my fiber goal for the day, then hey, no biggie. But if I'm going to try to keep my muscle and #### right and not pop a hemorrhoid, I need to pay more attention to my protein and fiber. And hitting my fiber goal in 700 fewer calories is like running 5 miles in terms of what it does to my calorie situation. 

That doesn't mean I'm going to eat a huge thing of raspberries every day or cut out salads and oatmeal and broccoli altogether.  But it is another big epiphany for me as I'm figuring out how to do this for life, because the truth is I don't want to eat a salad and a bowl of broccoli and two packets of oatmeal every day for the rest of my life. 

Just completed Week 6, Day 2 (column 3) of pushup challenge - 22, 22, 30, 30, 24, 24, 18, 18, 58.  Not too bad today.  I like these short rep, longer set routines.  1 more day to go.
Dude good work. I'm coasting on this right now working on sets of 50. I had too many days where I struggled on my long set so I'm just doing a set of 50 a day right now, maybe a couple until it's easy. I was hoping to hit 100 before my birthday, didn't, and now I'm more interested in the strength building than the accomplishment. Once I feel like 60 is easyish, i will retry week 6.  

Weighed in at 199.8 this morning. First time I’ve seen a 1 in about 3 years. Got up to about 225 or so a few months back.

Gonna try to push down to the 180’s, but it’s been over 20 years since I’ve been that low. 195 is a really good weight for me, but I want to see the 180’s dammit!
Onederland. Maybe the most exciting milestone. Congrats dude. 

Dude good work. I'm coasting on this right now working on sets of 50. I had too many days where I struggled on my long set so I'm just doing a set of 50 a day right now, maybe a couple until it's easy. I was hoping to hit 100 before my birthday, didn't, and now I'm more interested in the strength building than the accomplishment. Once I feel like 60 is easyish, i will retry week 6.  
That’s great.  I keep wavering on this but I don’t feel like I’ll be able to get 100.  I don’t even know about 75.  Regardless, it’s been a cool challenge and I’ll likely keep the push-up thing going for the long run (or until my body tells me to stop).  It’s a cool feeling to be able to do even 50 in a row TBH

Extended my walk a little this morning, because it was lovely and to make up a sliver of the exercise I missed on Tuesday.

The scale says I lost 2.3 pounds this week, with a 9.6 cherry on top. If you'll excuse me, I have a date with a plate of migas con chorizo.

You guys killing it in here. 

Fred I love your food quality epiphany. Inspiring. I ate a bunch of crap today, is it any wonder I feel like crap??

You guys killing it in here. 

Fred I love your food quality epiphany. Inspiring. I ate a bunch of crap today, is it any wonder I feel like crap??
Ok so this means you're getting back to it?  3.5 weeks of keto and exercise between tomorrow and Thanksgiving?  I'm on board, I wouldn’t mind losing back the weight I gained once I hit my goal. 

Otis said:
I’m going to eat and drink myself stupid with family parties this weekend. And then Monday I’m getting back in the erg and rowing. I’m getting back on the horse and eating keto. I’m getting serious again. 
This?

Announce

My goal this month is 30 hours of exercise in 30 days.

Whether it's walking, running, rowing, biking, lifting, yoga, body combat, don't care.  I'll post my own activity each day and a running total, and you all are welcome to do the same. Doesn't need to be 30 hours, choose your own number that is safe and meets your own goals and stick to it if you can.  Some of you are already doing this much walking or other stuff, others are doing hard workouts that they couldn't sustain for a full hour every day and some are just getting back to it.  I'm definitely going to do some yoga and will post them in the thread if you want to do the same ones, and if any of you have a cool workout please share. 

Consult your doctor before beginning this or any diet or exercise program. 

Announce

Whether it's walking, running, rowing, biking, lifting, yoga, body combat, don't care.  I'll post my own activity each day and a running total, and you all are welcome to do the same. Doesn't need to be 30 hours, choose your own number that is safe and meets your own goals and stick to it if you can.  Some of you are already doing this much walking or other stuff, others are doing hard workouts that they couldn't sustain for a full hour every day and some are just getting back to it.  I'm definitely going to do some yoga and will post them in the thread if you want to do the same ones, and if any of you have a cool workout please share. 

I'll join you with 30/30.  

Announce

Consistently doing anything, even sub optimally is better then inconsistently doing nothing perfectly.  Or something.  

Good start. Easier on football Sunday. 

60 minutes walking

30 minutes rowing  

30 minutes running 

Single set of 55 pushups and some abs but I won't count that.  Goal

I'm not getting my heart rate all the way up to MAF pace when I row - about 125ish according to my fitbit,  I'd rather be around 135 or 140 - but I'm good with that for now because I'm getting sore.  My run was closer to 150, alternating between 6 and 7 mph and finishing with a 29:30 5k, which isn't fast by any means but good enough that I'm having a slice of pepperoni pizza and a little wine. 

Currently at 123g protein and 35g fiber, and have calories left to spare. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes GB I’m in. Will row in the morning.  Thinking keto is my best bet. Exercise every day. 

I like your 30/30 and may try it. Will walking count?  I don’t see myself rowing an hour every day, but I could row 30 and try some walking to fill in the gap; maybe also pick back up the push-up challenge. 

I hope walking counts because that will be a big part of my routine.  There is no way I can do 60 minutes of intense exercise every day.  Well I guess I could but :shrug:  .  Completed 65 minutes today (50 minutes of body combat and 15 minutes of born to move with my daughter).  Have burned over 1,000 calories today (goal is 600 daily).  I might try to up my daily goal to 750 which shouldn't be hard if I'm doing 60 minutes of exercise a day.

Will walking count?  I don’t see myself rowing an hour every day, but I could row 30 and try some walking to fill in the gap; maybe also pick back up the push-up challenge. 

I hope walking counts because that will be a big part of my routine.  There is no way I can do 60 minutes of intense exercise every day.  
Of course it counts, if you think it should. You're not committing to me, you're committing to yourself. This is a difficult time of year even without a pandemic. 

It appears that 50 minutes six days a week is my redline for walking around the hood. Had some tendonitis yesterday, not as bad today. I could theoretically go longer on the elliptical, but if I go into the gym, it will be for shorter bursts of psychotic HIIT on that elliptical. Yes, it's hilarious. No, there will be no pictures.

I’m torn on this keto thing. Here’s an example: tonight I ordered this Mediterranean falafel salad from Chopt for dinner. It’s delicious and super healthy. Is it keto friendly?  I didn’t know. Probably not. But is it healthy?  Sure is. Do I want to restrict myself from stuff like this?? No, that makes no sense. 

So maybe I’ll just do some kind of “just eat healthy, dummy.”  Lower carbs, avoid junk food and snacking, etc. Seems like a much healthier way to life than to be crossing off the list healthy stuff that I would actually eat and enjoy. 

So maybe my best plan is exercise every day and eat well, not like a dummy. The no dummy diet plan. I bet I could write a book on that and start a new diet craze. 

Yes GB I’m in. Will row in the morning.  Thinking keto is my best bet. Exercise every day. 

I like your 30/30 and may try it. Will walking count?  I don’t see myself rowing an hour every day, but I could row 30 and try some walking to fill in the gap; maybe also pick back up the push-up challenge. 
You could row for an hour. It requires getting out of your comfort zone though. 

Otis said:
I’m torn on this keto thing. Here’s an example: tonight I ordered this Mediterranean falafel salad from Chopt for dinner. It’s delicious and super healthy. Is it keto friendly?  I didn’t know. Probably not. But is it healthy?  Sure is. Do I want to restrict myself from stuff like this?? No, that makes no sense. 

So maybe I’ll just do some kind of “just eat healthy, dummy.”  Lower carbs, avoid junk food and snacking, etc. Seems like a much healthier way to life than to be crossing off the list healthy stuff that I would actually eat and enjoy. 

So maybe my best plan is exercise every day and eat well, not like a dummy. The no dummy diet plan. I bet I could write a book on that and start a new diet craze. 
https://www.choptsalad.com/menu

590 calories plus 130 for the dressing

That's just under 1/2 your ~1500 daily calories if you're trying to lose 2 lbs per week, or just under 1/3 of your ~2400 daily calories when you're eating to maintain your weight. 

30 minutes of MAF rowing and 30 of walking will probably burn ~500 calories, so if you're doing the exercise and not snacking or drinking and eating something like this three times a day you'll probably lose close to 2 lbs per week. 

But be careful about calling it healthy. Eating this at night instead of cookies and booze? Healthy. Having a big salad at night and still having the cookies and booze?  It depends what the rest of your day looks like. 

That's just under 1/2 your ~1500 daily calories if you're trying to lose 2 lbs per week, or just under 1/3 of your ~2400 daily calories when you're eating to maintain your weight. 

30 minutes of MAF rowing and 30 of walking will probably burn ~500 calories, so if you're doing the exercise and not snacking or drinking and eating something like this three times a day you'll probably lose close to 2 lbs per week. 

But be careful about calling it healthy. Eating this at night instead of cookies and booze? Healthy. Having a big salad at night and still having the cookies and booze?  It depends what the rest of your day looks like. 
For me, focusing on good decisions during the day is critical. This way I get to night time and can make food decisions I enjoy. And there is such thing as an enjoyable dinner that is also healthy.

The clock change and the weather are going to set me up for a good week. Breezed around the hood at an 18:59 pace in the 41-degree dawn. We already had one of our Three Good Weeks of Fall, and another is on deck.

(They aren't necessarily consecutive.)

Haven't reported in for a while.  We had a huge ice storm here last week, so I spent the last 4 days cleaning up my property.  Still have a lot to do.  Ugh.  I did get 10k steps each day, so there's that.

Haven't logged a thing in the last few days, just didn't eat like crazy but didn't log or track anything.  Was moving brush/branches and cutting limbs with chainsaw and hand saws all 4 days.  I'm sure it balanced out, and the scale remained unchanged. 

I will say, I could tell I'm in better shape and that made the work mildly easier.  

Going to start tracking food and doing more normal exercise this week.  Still will have to spend some time working on limbs in the evenings and especially next weekend.  Ugh.

I'm in for the 30 hour challenge this month.  Was looking on NerdFitness earlier and I think I'll try for some version of the Advanced Bodyweight Workout and some interval run/walk training this month.  The Beginner Bodyweight Workout was getting easy at the end of October.  

Keep up the good work everyone.  

I can’t even find it on the menu now. Wtf. 

Either way, what you’re saying may be true, but let’s face it: I didn’t get fat eating too much falafel salad.  So I could count the macros and stuff or I can just be like “hey, I’ll have a salad, and I’ll avoid cookies.” And hopefully with a little exercise sprinkled in, that’ll be enough. If not, I’ve got much bigger problems. 

I rowed 30 mins at 6am despite the 4 year old making it near impossible. I had some healthy egg thing. I had some peanuts. Turkey meatballs.  A couple mini keto peanut cups. Some water and coffee throughout the day. And now a little white wine. I would have preferred more fruits and veggies but this is how the day went. Could be much worse. Especially with all this Halloween candy giving me side eyes. 

75 minutes of exercise today (total for November = 140 minutes).  Will complete the last day of pushups tomorrow and then go for 100 on Friday.  Can't wait to be done.

Not a good day. 

Breakfast - coffee with lots of milk and sugar, skyr with about 2 dozen raspberries, and a big slice of dutch apple pie. 

977 calories. 

Lunch, had a slice of pizza and some leftover roasted vegetables I made yesterday.

531 calories. 

So I'm already over the 1500 I used to eat each day. Then my kid begs me to go for a ride, gives me turn by turn directions, and I realize he's bringing me to chick fil a. Ok, sure, I'll get him a kids meal and I'll bring home a big box of nuggets and he can have some tomorrow.  While I'm there, I hear the news that kittle is done for year. One nugget becomes two, two becomes four, a fry here, and then holy #### I just ate 20 nuggets and half a box of fries. 

850 more calories.  

Ok. #### it. I'm not even dieting really, I am taking a cheat day. 

But then I remembered I was doing this challenge and I committed to doing this with my GB @Otis. And sure enough he's here posting his first good day.  I have to at least do my exercise for the day and maybe earn a glass of wine. 

30 minutes rowing, 360 calories burned

26 minutes running at 26 min 5k pace (split into miles because that'sfast for me) 513 calories

34 minutes walking 192 calories

Total 2358 minus 1065 equals 1300 net calories. 

And somehow 43g fiber and 112g protein.  

Lol wtf

I guess I'll have a glass after all. 

You could row for an hour. It requires getting out of your comfort zone though. 
I was doing hour long rows last winter. They’re hard and awesome. I could probably start doing those again if I start getting up at 5 again. Otherwise kids making it impossible to get more than 30mins in the morning.  Maybe I’ll start doing that. 

Was really sore yesterday, so only walked for 40 minutes.  Between that and the tree work on Sunday, I'll say I'm at 2 hours for the month.  

Kept my calories down yesterday, even with a bourbon nightcap.  

2 hours of exercise this month.  

I was doing hour long rows last winter. They’re hard and awesome. I could probably start doing those again if I start getting up at 5 again. Otherwise kids making it impossible to get more than 30mins in the morning.  Maybe I’ll start doing that. 
It took years of bad decisions to get in the poor shape that you're in. It will take hard work to undo all of the bad things that you have done. If you dare write the words THIS IS EASY I will reach through whatever device I am using at that moment and slap you silly.

ok brohans so i am just staying in my range and trying to work in planks squats pushups etc and feel like i am getting stronger again and definitely seeing it in my arms and shoulders but my stomach is still flabby i lost a ton of weight over the past 8 months so fred if you are looking for a new lets do this goal i would respectfully request a gut toning workout thanks in advance take that to the bank bromigos 

Users who are viewing this thread