What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

I have new goals for the new year.  Exercise has never been an issue for me because I truly enjoy it.  This year I'm really working hard on my diet and cutting back the booze.  I'm going to start up MFP again as the tool to help me with both.  I'm not trying to lose weight but just maintain my current weight and trim the fat.  Cutting booze and improving the diet should help with that.  I'm not completely eliminating booze but no drinking on a work night (Sunday through Thursday) and limiting my drinks to 2-3 per night on weekends.  This is my personal challenge to myself for the year (and beyond).  Throughout the year, I'll also try to incorporate new workout routines (e.g. Kettlebell) to keep myself interested and motivated.  Good luck to everyone.  

@bostonfred   What is your strategy with MFP?  Do you plan out all your meals (and exercise) the night before?  Do you just start with breakfast and take it from there?
Start with breakfast.  When I grocery shop I pick out lots of 300 to 350 calorie options I can have for breakfast or lunch, then I pick one on the day. Today I went heavy early which is rare for me- I had coffee and an egg sandwich for breakfast but then I made my kid a French bread pizza for snack and he wanted nothing to do with it so I did a magic trick for him and made it disappear. Oops. I just keep track of what I have left until it's close to dinner time. Right now I've had 835 calories and only have 665 calories left which sucks to be honest. I like to have 800 to 1000 left after lunch. 

What I will do though is think about what I'm having for dinner tonight, get the calories and then figure out what I need to do to make that happen. I've got a big piece of mustard crusted chicken in the fridge now, i know it's 650 calories, so i need at least 650 for dinner. If i want some vegetables, maybe a microwavable bag of broccoli is 100. Add a little sauce for 35 calories I'm at 785. And I'd like to get some protein and fiber so I'll do my skyr and raspberries for a mid afternoon snack, which is 220. Thats 1,005. 

I need to get about 340 calories of exercise. I can check the app but I'm pretty sure 30 minutes of moderate intensity rowing is 360 calories. So that's my workout right there.  If I add some yoga, I can have a little bottle of gatorade after rowing, or some rice or potatoes with my chicken and broccoli. I'll figure all that out later. Right now I've got a decent idea of what I'll end up doing because I know I don't want to throw that chicken out. 

Another day though I might not have any idea what I want for meals. Right after grocery shopping when you have all the options, or after I've eaten the stuff that goes bad quickly like if I get fish or prepared foods. There are days I end up with a bunch of calories and have no idea what I want so I just pick something healthy from the ingredients I have. Last night I made a 3 egg omelet with black beans and some shredded cheese because it fit my calories and fiber and protein almost perfectly. Breakfast for dinner, why not. In fact I have some leftover beans maybe I'll have those with my chicken later. Guess I'll do that yoga. 

Start with breakfast. 
@fred_1_15301, I do basically the same thing as bostonfred.  Except I'm a creature of habit with breakfast.  Right now I'm on a Steel Cut Oats kick.  I make it w/ Chia seeds and flax milk in a crock pot and then portion it up.  I add either dried cranberries or a banana, and it's 480 or 450 calories.  I eat dinner leftovers for lunch normally, but ideally a smaller portion, an afternoon snack, and then whatever we cook for dinner. 

Much like bf, I start logging dinner and lunch in the late morning and work backwards into my afternoon snack and exercise plans.  Wife and I plan our week's meals on Sunday, so late morning we decide what we want to eat that evening. 

Doing it this way I can also change quantities of food or add some less healthy options if I'm worried about being too far under my calorie goal.  After over a year of doing MFP, I've learned being too far under my calorie goal is more dangerous for me than going over.  When I'm too far under I get too hungry and then I want to eat everything in sight and that's when I have trouble.  I also have found that things like olives and nuts are a good snack for me when I'm shy on calories.  I think the fat in nuts and olives keep me full longer.  Be careful with nuts tho, they have a BUNCH of calories.  

Oh, I have a food scale and I weigh everything.  Often times when I'm logging meals early I just guess amounts, but I will adjust to actual amounts from the scale when I eat the meal.

@fred_1_15301, I do basically the same thing as bostonfred.  Except I'm a creature of habit with breakfast.  Right now I'm on a Steel Cut Oats kick.  I make it w/ Chia seeds and flax milk in a crock pot and then portion it up.  I add either dried cranberries or a banana, and it's 480 or 450 calories.  I eat dinner leftovers for lunch normally, but ideally a smaller portion, an afternoon snack, and then whatever we cook for dinner. 

Much like bf, I start logging dinner and lunch in the late morning and work backwards into my afternoon snack and exercise plans.  Wife and I plan our week's meals on Sunday, so late morning we decide what we want to eat that evening. 

Doing it this way I can also change quantities of food or add some less healthy options if I'm worried about being too far under my calorie goal.  After over a year of doing MFP, I've learned being too far under my calorie goal is more dangerous for me than going over.  When I'm too far under I get too hungry and then I want to eat everything in sight and that's when I have trouble.  I also have found that things like olives and nuts are a good snack for me when I'm shy on calories.  I think the fat in nuts and olives keep me full longer.  Be careful with nuts tho, they have a BUNCH of calories.  

Oh, I have a food scale and I weigh everything.  Often times when I'm logging meals early I just guess amounts, but I will adjust to actual amounts from the scale when I eat the meal.
Thanks - you're very meticulous with how you track things and that's commendable.  It's helpful that your wife is on board.  My wife has no interest in tracking calories.  I don't have a food scale or anything like that so I'm sort of ball parking things in the MFP app.  For example, I made a vegetarian mushroom walnut bolognese sauce with homemade pasta the other night.  No idea how to track that.  Do I count every single ingredient separately and add them up?  I don't have the patience for that.

For me, tracking calories is more about shifting my mindset to paying more attention to what I eat and drink.  I probably won't be as meticulous as you but my plan is to use MFP as a guide and err on the side of overestimating when I'm not sure.  

Anyways, this is my goal for the year.  I know I'm going to go over some days (probably most Saturdays) but if I can be good 6 out of 7 days, that's a huge improvement for me.  That should be enough for me to start seeing some noticeable differences in the mirror as well. 

Ymmv I tried that pb2 and thought it was terrible and while it is lower in calories and fat it removes the actual beneficial ingredients in regular pb...  My .02
I'm really mostly concerned about the taste but if you say it takes like crap, I'll likely pass.  Really just looking for another low cal snack to mix things up and I'm a huge pb fan, but that stuff is a calorie bomb for me.  

I'm really mostly concerned about the taste but if you say it takes like crap, I'll likely pass.  Really just looking for another low cal snack to mix things up and I'm a huge pb fan, but that stuff is a calorie bomb for me.  
I'm have a pretty basic food palette. I'd made it through half a jar before I bailed, I just couldn't get past the difference.... 

I'm have a pretty basic food palette. I'd made it through half a jar before I bailed, I just couldn't get past the difference.... 
How were you consuming it (mixed with water and then by itself, mixed with water and with something else like an apple, mixed into a smoothie, etc)?

Thanks - you're very meticulous with how you track things and that's commendable.  It's helpful that your wife is on board.  My wife has no interest in tracking calories.  I don't have a food scale or anything like that so I'm sort of ball parking things in the MFP app.  For example, I made a vegetarian mushroom walnut bolognese sauce with homemade pasta the other night.  No idea how to track that.  Do I count every single ingredient separately and add them up?  I don't have the patience for that.

For me, tracking calories is more about shifting my mindset to paying more attention to what I eat and drink.  I probably won't be as meticulous as you but my plan is to use MFP as a guide and err on the side of overestimating when I'm not sure.  

Anyways, this is my goal for the year.  I know I'm going to go over some days (probably most Saturdays) but if I can be good 6 out of 7 days, that's a huge improvement for me.  That should be enough for me to start seeing some noticeable differences in the mirror as well. 
So when I cook from recipes, it is a little harder.  You can from the app build the recipe tho.  It will even import from a webpage all the ingredients.  I do also just estimate sometimes.  But I find the portion control, which for me involves the food scale, the most important part.

So when I cook from recipes, it is a little harder.  You can from the app build the recipe tho.  It will even import from a webpage all the ingredients.  I do also just estimate sometimes.  But I find the portion control, which for me involves the food scale, the most important part.
I'm not a big fan of logging everything. Mostly I just work on portion control. Breakfast and lunch are pretty easy to do based on what I usually have. Dinner is the one I have to be very cognisant of how much I put on my plate - especially avoiding the desire to have a second helping simply because the flavor is good rather than because I am hungry. 

That and avoiding the junk between meals - I allow myself a measured portion of trail mix or some other treat that keeps me away from candy or other junk that is just empty calories but oh so tasty.

My wife and I generally cook everything from scratch (we usually don't even use a recipe).  Yesterday she made some Ramen noodle soup with veggies and tofu.  Then as a side dish, she air fried brussel sprouts and tofu.  I don't really know what she used for the sauce so it was hard for me to register the calories.  What I do is just find a similar dish from let's say PF Changs and use that or even overestimate (knowing for sure that my wife's dish is healthier than that).  I guess it's still better than not tracking at all.   :shrug:  

ETA - it’s better for me at least.  Many people will do just fine without tracking.  Not me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I generally cook everything from scratch (we usually don't even use a recipe).  Yesterday she made some Ramen noodle soup with veggies and tofu.  Then as a side dish, she air fried brussel sprouts and tofu.  I don't really know what she used for the sauce so it was hard for me to register the calories.  What I do is just find a similar dish from let's say PF Changs and use that or even overestimate (knowing for sure that my wife's dish is healthier than that).  I guess it's still better than not tracking at all.   :shrug:  

ETA - it’s better for me at least.  Many people will do just fine without tracking.  Not me.
Whatever works for you.  I have to track and it keeps me accountable.  

One good trick is to look at the highest calorie ingredients and estimate the others. 

For the sauce,, are you using a lot of walnuts?  Cooking oil?  Any vegetables that are more than a couple bites? Otherwise it's the tomatoes that are the big item, right?  A cup of crushed tomatoes is about 80 to a hundred calories.  A cup of diced tomatoes is like 60. A tablespoon of olive oil is a bit over 100 calories.  A cup of walnuts is like 500. All the rest of the stuff you put in there is probably negligible by comparison.

For the pasta, if she's really making the noodles from scratch it's mostly just egg and flour. How much of each does she start with?  A cup of flour is somewhere between 450 and 550 calories depending on the kind and the eggs are about 70 calories each. 

So if it's one cup flour and one egg (i have no idea if this is the recipe i don't make homemade pasta) and you each have half then you each had about 300 calories.Two cups tomatoes and some tomato paste and a small handful of walnuts with some olive oil and veggies, probably about 200 for the sauce. Call the whole dish 500 for each of you and call it a day. 

Still working outside in the yard and walking a lot. I've become obsessed with finding morels the last few days. I could literally spend all day wondering the woods searching for them. Diet was good for 80% of the week, but ate like a king on Easter and did it all over again with leftovers on Monday. Then had pizza on Tuesday. Wasn't sure what to expect this week.

1/2 – 184.6 lbs

1/9 – 179.8 lbs

1/16 – 177.4 lbs

1/23 – 176.0 lbs

1/30 – 174.8 lbs

2/6 – 172.4 lbs

2/13 – 172.2 lbs

2/20 – 171.0 lbs

2/27 – 169.6 lbs

3/5 – 167.4 lbs

3/12 – 165.8 lbs

3/19 – 163.0 lbs

3/26 – 161.8 lbs

4/2 – 159.2 lbs

4/9 – 158.0 lbs

4/16 - 155.8 lbs
I'm back! Not for anything like the madness above, just a January reset. I pretty much gained 10lbs instantly after quitting my "diet" last year and eventually settled into 167lbs as my comfortable weight. It maintained that through November and then the holidays came and it was total gluttony. Hoping to diet again for 30-days and lose about 6-8 lbs. I know what I need to do, just need the willpower to do it. Went to the grocery store today and bought my "essentials kit". Lets go!  :football:

1/4 - 171.3 lbs

I've got a big piece of mustard crusted chicken in the fridge now, i know it's 650 calories, so i need at least 650 for dinner. If i want some vegetables, maybe a microwavable bag of broccoli is 100. Add a little sauce for 35 calories I'm at 785. And I'd like to get some protein and fiber so I'll do my skyr and raspberries for a mid afternoon snack, which is 220. Thats 1,005. 

I need to get about 340 calories of exercise. I can check the app but I'm pretty sure 30 minutes of moderate intensity rowing is 360 calories. So that's my workout right there.  If I add some yoga, I can have a little bottle of gatorade after rowing, or some rice or potatoes with my chicken and broccoli. I'll figure all that out later. Right now I've got a decent idea of what I'll end up doing because I know I don't want to throw that chicken out. 
So here's a valuable lesson about meal planning days or even hours in advance. Sometimes you plan ahead and it doesn't work out like you'd planned. Sometimes you don't do that exercise and then you end up picking a bit of this and a bite of that. And sometimes your wife gives that piece of mustard crusted chicken you've been looking forward to all day to you kid.  And sometimes she just hands him the ketchup bottle and goes back to looking at her ####### phone while he squeezes an entire large bottle of heinz onto his plate and doesn't stop until he yells dad the ketchup is broken while she doesn't even look up and absent mindedly tells him to just eat his sandwich. So then you've got a plate of ketchup, no chicken and a vein in your forehead that says maybe tonight is not a good time for rowing so you make some fish and vegetables and decide to go to bed early. For example.

@bostonfred Do you try to hit your target calorie goal every day?  What do you do if you're way under on a given day?  I have like 600 calories to spare today and want to still do another workout.  I guess I could eat something afterwards but ice cream probably isn't a good idea either.  I want to get out of the mindset of "rewarding" myself when I have spare calories.  That was my problem the first time I tried MFP.  

@bostonfred Do you try to hit your target calorie goal every day?  What do you do if you're way under on a given day?  I have like 600 calories to spare today and want to still do another workout.  I guess I could eat something afterwards but ice cream probably isn't a good idea either.  I want to get out of the mindset of "rewarding" myself when I have spare calories.  That was my problem the first time I tried MFP.  
My calorie goal is set to lose 2 lbs, which is the most i should be trying to lose, so i try to stay close to that number. If your goal is set to lose 1lb per week or something, that's probably less of an issue.  But if you're routinely coming in 2000 calories below your TDEE, you're probably not doing yourself any favors. That's my take anyways, but reminder that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. 

Hey, those of you who have home rowers, what model do you have?  Thinking about starting.  I'm on a wait list for a Concept2 but not sure if I want to spend that much or wait that long.

Any and all butwhatabout's to this will be met with all the middle fingers. Of course there are cases in which a healthy lifestyle is not the cause of one's problem while other's are in an environment in which one is not/less feasible. They are not the target audience of this message. Many/most americans are in control of their health. Our collective health is poor because we make bad choices and those poor decisions have consequences. 

I realize I've been focusing my diet on staying within a calorie range.  Given my history with high blood pressure (both my own and family history), I think I need to focus much more on controlling sodium intake.  Holy #### - didn't realize how much sodium is in just about everything.  2 TB of BBQ sauce = 240 mg of sodium.   :cry:   I'll be sticking with Oats, yogurt, etc for breakfast for the foreseeable future (with exceptions on weekends).  

I have thought several times "Don't post this" because its going to put me in a vulnerable position but I want to share real stuff and I'm afraid my spot is going to be jeopardized. 

-I'm drinking a lot, more than I care to share. It started close to Xmas, then NYE/NY and it's not going away. I want to just cozy up to a bottle of tequila at like 12:00 in the afternoon. I tried so hard to just post positive vibes but I'm not being honest and when you can't be yourself with this group...MoP definitely has the issue here, it's not you all. 

I am aware of it, I'm doing my best but that's not true, I am much better than this when i am in control. Please focus on yourself, this is par for the course, people are excited to be around me so i have to hit the self destruct button, isn't that how it works for most? 

-Truth is Mrs and I are having issues, I love her and it's not her fault, she is stressed out to the max working in a hospital, I could explain it in details but we really don't need to. 

I'm trying to spin this as positive but it's hard. 

I love you mother####ers

Cheers!

MoP, I feel you. I just spent the last three+ days salvaging my bipolar friend's first permanent address in almost two years, including her turning up drunk on the original moving day of Monday. Just now sober enough to actually do it. Anyway, as I told her, I don't need to know the triggers, just ask yourself if the booze improved things any.

I am not a counselor and yadda yadda yadda/Bfred

I realize I've been focusing my diet on staying within a calorie range.  Given my history with high blood pressure (both my own and family history), I think I need to focus much more on controlling sodium intake.  Holy #### - didn't realize how much sodium is in just about everything.  2 TB of BBQ sauce = 240 mg of sodium.   :cry:   I'll be sticking with Oats, yogurt, etc for breakfast for the foreseeable future (with exceptions on weekends).  
Been there.  Sodium is very hard to limit.  Anything processed has a ton of sodium.  Also salsas, soups, olives, even cereals.  It's a pain.  

On MFP you can see your sodium.  I try to track the sodium by nutrition information, but I still add salt to plain things (grilled meat, sweet potatoes) and I don't track that ish.  Have to live a little.  

Staying below 2,000mg is very hard.  

I've told you guys I was drinking way too much...  during most of the Covid stuff.  There are too many nights where I don't remember a lot of the evening.  Way too many.  

I haven't had a drink since Saturday night.  In some ways it's been legit hard.  Like given the stuff that's happening in DC today, I've already thought about going for the bottle tonight.  But I told myself I'm staying sober until at least the Super Bowl.  Today/night will be a challenge.  Tomorrow will be a challenge.  But I'm concentrating on one day at a time.

One day at a time.  You can do this.  I can do this.  

Been there.  Sodium is very hard to limit.  Anything processed has a ton of sodium.  Also salsas, soups, olives, even cereals.  It's a pain.  

On MFP you can see your sodium.  I try to track the sodium by nutrition information, but I still add salt to plain things (grilled meat, sweet potatoes) and I don't track that ish.  Have to live a little.  

Staying below 2,000mg is very hard.  
If I stick with oats every morning, I have a fighting chance.  Yeesh this is hard.

MoP, I feel you. I just spent the last three+ days salvaging my bipolar friend's first permanent address in almost two years, including her turning up drunk on the original moving day of Monday. Just now sober enough to actually do it. Anyway, as I told her, I don't need to know the triggers, just ask yourself if the booze improved things any.

I am not a counselor and yadda yadda yadda/Bfred
We both work in fundraising for the hospital, the rest of this paragraph has been written, edited and erased several times, I don't know what else to say other than people that give LOTS of money want the vaccine come hell or high water and they have both my wife and my personal cell phone number...that iPhone12 is about to become a permanent ocean dweller.

I might have to post the photo but the local pizza/craft beer joint was sold where I used to hang out, in fact i wanted to buy it but the pandemic changed my POV...fast forward new owners but I don't go out, that's one of the secrets to keeping the weight down or off, I simply avoid eating and drinking out as much as possible. The staff at this place told the new owner to reach out so he invited me up for a private opening or preview and get my opinion on things...I get up there and he had coasters made with my name on them and a tagline that if you ever sat near me "let me tell you a story" and you'll have to trust that I say it a lot after a couple beers. 🤷‍♂️

My wife, she's so smart and always kicks me back into place..."Yeah that's just so they can get you in there spending money" and i love her and she's so right. 

We both work in fundraising for the hospital, the rest of this paragraph has been written, edited and erased several times, I don't know what else to say other than people that give LOTS of money want the vaccine come hell or high water and they have both my wife and my personal cell phone number...that iPhone12 is about to become a permanent ocean dweller.
Sorry to hear that.  Makes me sick that people think they can buy their way to the front of the line, but I'm also not surprised it is happening.  Hell, there's already been several reports of it happening and I assume for every report we hear their are more that we don't know about, yet.  

Numerous reports of extra doses lying around, and will go bad in days. In that scenario, I'm ok with the hospital system calling up the deep-pocketed, on the theory they're probably in a high-risk group anyway.

I have thought several times "Don't post this" because its going to put me in a vulnerable position but I want to share real stuff and I'm afraid my spot is going to be jeopardized. 

-I'm drinking a lot, more than I care to share. It started close to Xmas, then NYE/NY and it's not going away. I want to just cozy up to a bottle of tequila at like 12:00 in the afternoon. I tried so hard to just post positive vibes but I'm not being honest and when you can't be yourself with this group...MoP definitely has the issue here, it's not you all. 

I am aware of it, I'm doing my best but that's not true, I am much better than this when i am in control. Please focus on yourself, this is par for the course, people are excited to be around me so i have to hit the self destruct button, isn't that how it works for most? 

-Truth is Mrs and I are having issues, I love her and it's not her fault, she is stressed out to the max working in a hospital, I could explain it in details but we really don't need to. 

I love you mother####ers

Cheers!
Hang in there dude.  I had a super boozy December.  I think my dry January will be put on pause at least tonight after spending the afternoon watching the news.

Poke_4_Life said:
I've told you guys I was drinking way too much...  during most of the Covid stuff.  There are too many nights where I don't remember a lot of the evening.  Way too many.  

I haven't had a drink since Saturday night.  In some ways it's been legit hard.  Like given the stuff that's happening in DC today, I've already thought about going for the bottle tonight.  But I told myself I'm staying sober until at least the Super Bowl.  Today/night will be a challenge.  Tomorrow will be a challenge.  But I'm concentrating on one day at a time.

One day at a time.  You can do this.  I can do this.  
I'm in the same boat as you and also haven't had a drink since Saturday.  Temptation was there today but I'm going to pass.  Every time I think about going for a drink I tell myself "poison".  I'm going to choose to do a 45 minute body combat instead and get the aggression out in a more productive manner.  

kevzilla said:
Numerous reports of extra doses lying around, and will go bad in days. In that scenario, I'm ok with the hospital system calling up the deep-pocketed, on the theory they're probably in a high-risk group anyway.
I honestly had not even thought of it in that way

DA RAIDERS said:
They should be given to anyone that can come in and get them. ####### ridiculous
You're right

And that concludes the vaccine blues in here. Time to jump on the cycle and focus on Doubles Strategy. Just keeping it real, most of the time things are A-OK here, just the last couple weeks have been indescribable, never have we had this kind of stress. 100% on board with your thoughts here DR, thanks. 

Well, I was coming in here to ask for permission to have a day of heavy drinking (after three days with no drinks) in reaction to today's events, and then I read of MOP's and kev's friend's genuine issues.  I'm still going to drink, because #### this ####, but wanted to tell you guys to hang in there.  MOP, many people here genuinely care, so if there's anything we can do to help, let us know.  Or just use this as a sounding board or to rant or whatever will be best for you.  Sending good vibes your way.

fred_1_15301 said:
Try cooking foods like potatoes and chicken in garlic, onion powder and black pepper. 

Roast cubes ot butternut squash with some maple syrup instead of salt. Or pepper onion garlic. 

Pasta in unsalted water with basil oregano and olive oil. 

Egg sandwich with black pepper, no salt, and low sodium cheese. 

Cook some potatoes and cube them.. let them rest for a couple hours. Start two pans over medium heat and melt a pat of unsalted butter in each. Crack some eggs directly into the butter in the first one and use a silicon whisk to mix together before the yolks and whites solidify. Pull the frying pan off the heat and whisk again. Return it to the heat and keep whisking, then pull back and add a dollop of craime fraiche. Let it cook down and fold it into the eggs. They're ridiculous. In the other pan, fry up the potatoes with garlic, cayenne pepper, and some cut up onion if you have it or powder if not. 

Or just have oatmeal, yogurt, fresh berries, etc for breakfast. 

If you want stir fry try using half as much oil as you'd usually use and for the other half use reduced sodium soy sauce. It's still high in sodium but mixing the two like that i find I use less sodium and less fat and still get the flavor. 

I'm a big savory guy but there are so many delicious savory recipes that don't need salt. salt. Gll

Well, I was coming in here to ask for permission to have a day of heavy drinking (after three days with no drinks) in reaction to today's events, and then I read of MOP's and kev's friend's genuine issues.  I'm still going to drink, because #### this ####, but wanted to tell you guys to hang in there.  MOP, many people here genuinely care, so if there's anything we can do to help, let us know.  Or just use this as a sounding board or to rant or whatever will be best for you.  Sending good vibes your way.
Today definitely calls for some evening single barrel.

@Ministry of Pain hang in there dude. 

we are in unprecedented times. 

I’ve definitely gone up and down, over the last 10 months. Be kind to yourself. Be kind to your lady.

don’t drink tequila at noon. ;)  

go walking instead. 

Ministry of Pain said:

I love you mother####ers

Cheers!
It is easy to give in to drinking these days.  There is so much stress coming at us from so many angles.  Take it one day at a time.    

Try cooking foods like potatoes and chicken in garlic, onion powder and black pepper. 

Roast cubes ot butternut squash with some maple syrup instead of salt. Or pepper onion garlic. 

Pasta in unsalted water with basil oregano and olive oil. 

Egg sandwich with black pepper, no salt, and low sodium cheese. 

Cook some potatoes and cube them.. let them rest for a couple hours. Start two pans over medium heat and melt a pat of unsalted butter in each. Crack some eggs directly into the butter in the first one and use a silicon whisk to mix together before the yolks and whites solidify. Pull the frying pan off the heat and whisk again. Return it to the heat and keep whisking, then pull back and add a dollop of craime fraiche. Let it cook down and fold it into the eggs. They're ridiculous. In the other pan, fry up the potatoes with garlic, cayenne pepper, and some cut up onion if you have it or powder if not. 

Or just have oatmeal, yogurt, fresh berries, etc for breakfast. 

If you want stir fry try using half as much oil as you'd usually use and for the other half use reduced sodium soy sauce. It's still high in sodium but mixing the two like that i find I use less sodium and less fat and still get the flavor. 

I'm a big savory guy but there are so many delicious savory recipes that don't need salt. salt. Gll
All good ideas.  The 2 things that I’m really good at cooking are eggs and pasta.  I’ve never considered using unsalted water for my pasta but will give it a shot.  We probably won’t even notice the difference.  Other than that I’m seriously planning on eating oats/fruit and oatmeal every single day for breakfast (sans weekends where I may give in to an egg or 2).  Maybe occasionally finding a low sodium, healthy cereal to mix it up.

No booze and under my calorie goal yesterday.  I basically stayed off my phone and the news last night and just read a book.  Was kinda nice and I slept well as a result.  I also got a nice long walk in the afternoon, right after the news broke.  

Maybe occasionally finding a low sodium, healthy cereal to mix it up.
This is stupidly hard.  Anything in a can or box seems to have more sodium than it should.

Users who are viewing this thread